The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Consummate Slow-Laner who doesn't really wanna be one anymore

Feliponius

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jul 31, 2022
How's it going all! I thought I'd take a stab at introducing myself here.

My name is Philip. I'm 33, have a wife, 3 kids, and a 4th on the way. And I am a tried-and-true hard working emp-plo-yee. Probably one of the best employee's you could ask for in the service industry. I'm hard working, honest, my customers love me, and I'm intelligent enough to handle multiple aspects of working IN a business. But that's it. That's basically where I've been the last 10 years of my working life (ever since I graduated from Bible College with a Bachelor's Degree of Music, which was super instrumental in my working life lol). All things considered my life really isn't that bad, but the truth is I've essentially hit a wall. There's really no more room for upward mobility in my area. My current job promises a lot (I really do like working with my boss) but I see next to no opportunities to vastly increase my earnings any time soon. And if I'm honest my wages have effectively stagnated over the last 5 years.

I've had multiple run-ins with entrepreneurship but never have fully committed. I've tried eBay thrifting, Amazon retail arbitrage, tried white labelling once, and while I've been successful with each individual attempt, I've never grown it to scale or really dug in. Why? Mainly because of my job. I'm currently the sole breadwinner for the family and have been for almost as long as I've been married. To lose my income would cripple us financially unfortunately, and because I work demanding physically intensive jobs, I've always worked with a pretty intense energy deficit during the times where I'd normally work on something extra. Seems like every time another kid comes along my energy hits a wall and I become lazy again. (I know, you're probably not interested in my excuses, but it's therapeutic to get them out of my head.)

In any case dwelling on my reasons why I HAVEN'T succeeded is NOT why I'm here. I want to break the cycle and so I'm attempting to take a new approach to how this works going forward. I've started by reading The Millionaire Fastlane . I was recommended the book by someone who makes a living using bots to scrape and generate leads. I feel like a lot of what MJ says in the book are filling in a lot of missing pieces left unfilled by other books in the similar space. That's what lead me to these forums. I want to absorb the wisdom and mindset that this book seeks to instill in the reader.

I must admit I deal with a bunch of guilt when it comes to quitting my job. Had the same problem with the last job I worked. I hate the idea of letting someone down who invested into me. But at the end of the day my future is more valuable to me than the short-term gratification of someone who employs me. And so here we go! Time to pick a business, get my hands dirty, and scale.

Hope to enjoy many fruitful conversations with you all in the future!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
But at the end of the day my future is more valuable to me than the short-term gratification of someone who employs me.

You have one life to live, and it is for you and your family.

Just because you are doing what's best for you and your family, doesn't mean you are letting someone down.

That said, taking care of your familial responsibilities is always priority #1. That means you don't quit your job until your Fastlane business MAKES you quit your job. Yes, a lot harder with kids, mortgages, and car payments. Priorities get our time, and when you have a big family, that means you can't the same big risks as a 22 year old fresh out of college.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...