The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Martial Arts, Combat Sports, Self-Defense Systems - What Do You Practice?

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Any reason why specifically BJJ and not another form of grappling?

I do some wrestling also, but wrestling is much harder on your body as you age so I don't do it near as often, maybe once a week at most. Wrestling, Judo, and BJJ are all basically the same thing anyway, they just emphasis and focus on different parts of the grappling game.

BJJ focuses on the ground grappling more.
Judo focuses on the standing aspect more, So a judo guy will most likely throw the BJJ guy to the mat, they have a higher chance, but once it hits the ground the BJJ guy will rape them as Judo players don't do much of the ground game aspect.

If you do Wrestling multiple times a week for years and years, your body will break down hard.

And judo, I just find it much less effective than BJJ and Wresling so it doesn't appeal to me as much.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
What martial arts, combat sports or self-defense systems do you practice and why?

As a teenager I practiced karate kyokushin for several years. In hindsight, it was bullshit from the perspective of self-defense but well...

A couple of years ago I practiced krav maga one-on-one with a coach. I was attracted to this self-defense system because of its focus on fast, brutal, effective self-defense. I later stopped when my coach stopped being available. I recently restarted it though I practice it rarely as my coach is too busy with his day job and other stuff.

I like krav maga as it mostly focuses on strengthening your instincts instead of using sophisticated techniques. It always assumes at least two attackers and teaches you how to protect yourself against various weapons like bats, bottles, knives and guns (though this is clearly ONLY if you can't run away at all). We worked through different scenarios including fighting in toilets, against a wall, in a crowd, etc.

What I don't like in krav maga is that it doesn't focus that much on proper stand-up fighting, let alone ground fighting. The assumption is that you defend yourself in 10 seconds (the standard MO is a nut kick and attacking the eyes or other sensitive spots) and run away. But things aren't always that simple.

For that reason, an since my krav maga coach isn't that available anymore, I decided to take up MMA (mixed martial arts).

My MMA coach is an ex-pro and makes a living teaching people how to fight, including competitive fighters. I started a couple of weeks ago and I've already improved my technique a lot.

Since it combines all different combat sports, I think it's one of the best options from the self-defense point of view (the best self-defense option is training sprints LOL). For the time being I'm still working on stand-up fighting but soon we'll also start learning how to grapple.

From the health/fitness point of view it's a great mix of conditioning, strength, power, coordination, mobility, etc. Your entire body gets a solid workout.

From the mental perspective it's also excellent as (safe) sparring is essential in this sport. It teaches you to trust your guard and stay in control as you get hit.

So, to repeat the question:

What martial arts, combat sports or self-defense systems do you practice and why?
Muay Thai because 10 years ago Buakaw was very famous and draw a lot attention from non-fighters into the fighting sports.

I attended fight gym lessons before but honestly it is too physically demanding. I feel like throwing up halfway.

So I went back to "mainstream" weight lifting and cardio as exercise.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
BOXING.

In a real life self-defense scenario, obviously you'll want to evade or avoid situations that put you in there in the first place, like not hanging around bad places or bad people. But if it gets down to it, I really think that boxing is the the best. With martial arts like BJJ, most likely you will end up in the ground, and you don't want to end up in the ground do to the possibility of multiple-attackers, then they'll be stomping the crap out of you. You really want distance and boxing is great at that.

This assumes that you aren't attacked by someone from behind who tackles you before you know it. Distance is of course super important but the assumption that you don't want to end up on the ground is dangerous as many fights do end up on the ground anyway.

I practice Aikido, but not so much for the self defense side of things. More for the discipline, physical fitness (I also go to the gym for that) and the spiritual side of things. Although people think Aikido is useless in a fight, you can really control the opponent in a way so they wont be able to attack again. It's used by many police departments all around the world to incapacitate and arrest people that resist or attack them.

I really like it because it's highly technical, gives you awesome reflexes and controls your opponent without really hurting them, all the while being graceful and looking cool doing it. ;)

There's this guy on YouTube who trained aikido for 15 years and was even an aikido sensei and ultimately realized that aikido is ineffective:

If you do Wrestling multiple times a week for years and years, your body will break down hard.

Why's that? Because of the throws?

I attended fight gym lessons before but honestly it is too physically demanding. I feel like throwing up halfway.

Lol isn't that the point?

I mean, they shouldn't completely destroy a newbie but these workouts do need to be quite demanding because a real fight will be just as bad or worse.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Why's that? Because of the throws?

Pretty much, the throws, and physicality are more intense than Judo is.
With BJJ you get thrown a little bit, as you do some stand up also, but as it's mostly on the ground it isn't as bad on you physically over time.

If I wanted to be some killer fighter I would do Wrestling, and Muay Thai more to fix up my striking, but knowing how to defend yourself in an art that is practically applicable is what matters, that you have fun, and that you can do it for a long time.

All the good Arts that actually work:
BJJ
Wrestling
Judo
Boxing
Kickboxing
Muay Thai.

Last edited:

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
Boxing.

I believe most fights happen in seconds and usually it’s standing up. Its effective and fast.
I like to think worst case scenario:
- 1 vs 1
- 1 vs 1 guy with Knife, bat, weapon
- 1 vs group

IMO boxing is the most effective. I wouldnt want to kick, wrestle, bjj, a guy with a weapon or if a group is attacking me. Kicking takes time and leaves you open. If you take a guy down his friends will kick the shit out of you. When it’s 1 v 1 you can do whatever you like but most of my encounters its a tight space with many ppl around. A punch would be more fitting vs kicking ect…If you get tackled just lock their head in a guillotine most ppl dont know how to fight.

That being said, every man should learn how to fight. One day you will have to defend your love ones. You rather be the warrior in a garden than a gardener in war. (forgot the actual saying lol)

Mammoth

Amor Fati
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Dec 4, 2019
México
That's cool. Let us know if you decide to check him out.
I'll see if I can do a drop-in next time I'm in Mexico City. I'd love to get in the ring and spar to practice knife attack scenarios.
Damn that's serious intensity. What was the injury and how long did it take to recover from it?
Inside patellar tendon. One day we sparred then did deadlifts. The next morning during warm up, I went down into a lunge and didn't come back up hahaha. It still bugs me to this day, but I've found a good physiotherapist where I'm at now. Living somewhere warm helps immensely with old injuries as well.

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
Kick boxing, and wrestling. Did the club circuit for a couple years in my twenty's. Some MMA. Was a bouncer for over a decade and did private security for a couple years. Hard to find people my size to practice with. I fought at 250lbs, that weight class was very slim back then.
Spent some time training with Gabriel Gonzaga up in Ludlow Ma. I was going to try to go pro but life had other plans.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Boxing.

I believe most fights happen in seconds and usually it’s standing up. Its effective and fast.
I like to think worst case scenario:
- 1 vs 1
- 1 vs 1 guy with Knife, bat, weapon
- 1 vs group

IMO boxing is the most effective. I wouldnt want to kick, wrestle, bjj, a guy with a weapon or if a group is attacking me. Kicking takes time and leaves you open. If you take a guy down his friends will kick the shit out of you. When it’s 1 v 1 you can do whatever you like but most of my encounters its a tight space with many ppl around. A punch would be more fitting vs kicking ect…If you get tackled just lock their head in a guillotine most ppl dont know how to fight.

That being said, every man should learn how to fight. One day you will have to defend your love ones. You rather be the warrior in a garden than a gardener in war. (forgot the actual saying lol)

You wouldn't want to fight anyone with a knife or a gun, but most of the arts I listed will help you in a situation where they have any other weapon.

Albeit, BJJ can become problematic when dealing with multiple attackers. I got jumped years ago by 8 guys with a mate, and my grappling skills kept them from taking me down, and getting seriously hurt. I had no damage inflicted on me, as I knew what I was doing.

4 guys tried to take me down to kick me and lay into me like they did my friend, but they couldn't.
Once the others were done with my friend, they came over to join their friends trying to get me down, they all lifted me up, then threw me through a plastered wall.
Proud to say, after being thrown, I still landed on my feet LMAO.

Most people really can't fight. If even one of them had any idea how to fight, I would have been seriously messed up.

Last edited:

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
When I first starting doing MMA, I wanted to compete.
The more I’ve thought about it and suffered a concussion, I think I will just train striking (we only do light sparring) so I know I can throw hands if necessary and then train & compete in BJJ instead.

Business success is a lot more important to me than fighting success.

Seems to be a lot more brain injuries from MMA as opposed to BJJ.

Like Eddie Bravo said, “With BJJ you get the thrill of the kill without the brain damage”

Maybe if I’m 35 and Unscripted , I’ll step into the cage to test my mettle.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
When I first starting doing MMA, I wanted to compete.
The more I’ve thought about it and suffered a concussion, I think I will just train striking (we only do light sparring) so I know I can throw hands if necessary and then train & compete in BJJ instead.

Business success is a lot more important to me than fighting success.

Seems to be a lot more brain injuries from MMA as opposed to BJJ.

Like Eddie Bravo said, “With BJJ you get the thrill of the kill without the brain damage”

Maybe if I’m 35 and Unscripted , I’ll step into the cage to test my mettle.

Yeah I'm not interested in sparring at all if it means any, even the tiniest, brain damage. I think your plan is a good one. I might eventually transition to BJJ too depending how I like grappling (for now, still learning the fundamentals of stand-up fighting).

Mathuin

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
I might eventually transition to BJJ too depending how I like grappling (for now, still learning the fundamentals of stand-up fighting).
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XULhEomzU8

I think this is a good video from Jocko & Joe Rogan.

Jocko basically says in any street fight scenario, he's going to run away. If the person grabs him and he cant run away, then his BJJ training becomes extremely useful.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XULhEomzU8

I think this is a good video from Jocko & Joe Rogan.

Jocko basically says in any street fight scenario, he's going to run away. If the person grabs him and he cant run away, then his BJJ training becomes extremely useful.

Lol I posted the exact same thing in this thread here:

Mathuin

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Lol I posted the exact same thing in this thread here:
Oops, my bad lol :rofl:

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
A couple of years ago I practiced krav maga
Oh I love Krav! I love the direct, simple, brutality of it. I haven't practiced any martial art since Covid and have been contemplating getting some people together to practice in the park. (I'm in AZ).

I've studied several arts but my best experience was learning an eclectic style under a former Navy Seal in Detroit, MI. I had the privilege of training under him for 3 years and it was amazing! Weapon disarms(gun, knife, baseball bat, knife), firearms tactics, baton, knife. This is what I want to bring to the table here in organizing some training.

missinfinity98

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Oct 25, 2021
IMG_20200426_142831.jpg
^^
A good friend of mine introduced me to boxing, which was my dream. She is Lithuanian's boxing champion - the right way to start something is learning from the best. I am very grateful for the opportunity to learn from her. I practice now every time there is a gym with a boxing sack in the area. I travel a lot, and these gloves take much space, but they are essential for me. I usually do a bit of yoga and boxing for balance. I focus on working all the anger out of my body in the boxing moments - to get rid of energy blockages. I find it funny when some men run away XD

10/10 recommend in getting rid of the creeps ^^

Last edited:

Dr_Kdub28

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Feb 16, 2022
East coast, United States
I've been training karate(isshin ryu) for about 2.5 years now. However, I still train other forms of combat(boxing, grappling, judo). I got lucky finding a dojo that doesn't only teach karate. I wouldn't have stuck around otherwise. That just doesn't seem practical for self defense. There are a few things I'd use(arm breaks, wrist locks, sweeps/throws) but if it came down to self-defense my first reaction is to square up and box. I wouldn't even throw a kick unless I knew it was going to be a knockout shot.

Outside of self-defense, I enjoy the sport and comradery surrounding karate. Building relationships, sparring, and performing katas are all fun and very fulfilling.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019

As a teenager I practiced karate kyokushin for several years. In hindsight, it was bullshit from the perspective of self-defense but well...

A couple of years ago I practiced krav maga one-on-one with a coach. I was attracted to this self-defense system because of its focus on fast, brutal, effective self-defense. I later stopped when my coach stopped being available. I recently restarted it though I practice it rarely as my coach is too busy with his day job and other stuff.

I like krav maga as it mostly focuses on strengthening your instincts instead of using sophisticated techniques. It always assumes at least two attackers and teaches you how to protect yourself against various weapons like bats, bottles, knives and guns (though this is clearly ONLY if you can't run away at all). We worked through different scenarios including fighting in toilets, against a wall, in a crowd, etc.

What I don't like in krav maga is that it doesn't focus that much on proper stand-up fighting, let alone ground fighting. The assumption is that you defend yourself in 10 seconds (the standard MO is a nut kick and attacking the eyes or other sensitive spots) and run away. But things aren't always that simple.

For that reason, an since my krav maga coach isn't that available anymore, I decided to take up MMA (mixed martial arts).

My MMA coach is an ex-pro and makes a living teaching people how to fight, including competitive fighters. I started a couple of weeks ago and I've already improved my technique a lot.

Since it combines all different combat sports, I think it's one of the best options from the self-defense point of view (the best self-defense option is training sprints LOL). For the time being I'm still working on stand-up fighting but soon we'll also start learning how to grapple.

From the health/fitness point of view it's a great mix of conditioning, strength, power, coordination, mobility, etc. Your entire body gets a solid workout.

From the mental perspective it's also excellent as (safe) sparring is essential in this sport. It teaches you to trust your guard and stay in control as you get hit.

So, to repeat the question:

I have practiced Boxing for three reasons :
1- boxing seem very effective in fights
2- it require less time to master it than other more complex martial arts.
3- I can learn it myself at home, since I dont have time to register in some training program.

My plan to learn Krav Maga which is for more dangerous situations, but in my area it is really expensive and payment is annual upfront. beside it require commitment many times a week, which I cannot offerd at this time with my busy schedule . However learned a lot of from youtube and why my punching bag I could say I got better, however not real fight to test that though

Mathuin

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
The primary reasons for me are fitness and mental health benefits. I like striking but I haven't tried grappling yet so I can't tell if that's something I'll enjoy doing as much.
After taking 2.5 months off due to back-to-back minor concussions, I have my first class in my BJJ beginners program on Tuesday.

I've been speaking outside of the gym with guys who I was on the MMA beginner's program with, and we've all basically moved to only doing BJJ due to risk of CTE & brain injuries.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
After taking 2.5 months off due to back-to-back minor concussions, I have my first class in my BJJ beginners program on Tuesday.

I've been speaking outside of the gym with guys who I was on the MMA beginner's program with, and we've all basically moved to only doing BJJ due to risk of CTE & brain injuries.

Yeah I'm not interested in sparring and am only training with bags and pads with my coach (so hopefully a very low risk of any concussions happening compared to training with an inexperienced partner).

wyattnorton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 15, 2019
Northern IL & Southeastern WI
Hey man!

In response to your question on if I do MMA.

Currently, I do boxing mostly because my two buddies are competing and I love to train and spar with them. I have also done Karate and Tae Kwon Do through dojos.

And when I get bored of boxing or kickboxing, I switch to Jeet Kune Do and teach myself that.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
my best self defense

Glock_17-removebg-preview.png

my second best self defense

1.jpg

Other than that, I train MMA regularly. The first gym I showed up at looked like a Karen Zumba class so I left a minute after walking in and found a real fighting gym full of pros and I've been there a year.

BaiAnrui

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 30, 2019
The Netherlands
great topic.

I have been practicing martial arts for many years. I started with (traditional) Jiu-Jitsu, especially the karate part was super. Had less with the throws and groundwork. Still, I did it for a lot of years and got my first dan (black belt) . While training for my second dan I got a serious injury. Then I said goodbye to Jiu-Jitsu

Later I did Hapkido (self-defense system from Tae-Kwondo) for a while, also a nice style.

But now I've lost my heart to Thai-Boxing. Train at least 3 times a week and have never been in such a good condition as now (I am 47 years ;)). I spar in a calm way, I notice that I am more sensitive to injury now, so I have to take it easy. But i really train to improve my technique, that's my goal.

OSU

Last edited:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
great topic.

I have been practicing martial arts for many years. I started with (traditional) Jiu-Jitsu, especially the karate part was super. Had less with the throws and groundwork. Still, I did it for a lot of years and got my first dan (black belt) . While training for my second dan I got a serious injury. Then I said goodbye to Jiu-Jitsu

Later I did Hapkido (self-defense system from Tae-Kwondo) for a while, also a nice style.

But now I've lost my heart to Thai-Boxing. Train at least 3 times a week and have never been in such a good condition as now (I am 47 years ;)). I spar in a calm way, I notice that I am more sensitive to injury now, so I have to take it easy. But i really train to improve my technique, that's my goal.

That's a lot of experience with martial arts.

So because of the injury you can only do striking now or can you still practice grappling?

BaiAnrui

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 30, 2019
The Netherlands
That's a lot of experience with martial arts.

So because of the injury you can only do striking now or can you still practice grappling?
I tore my Achilles tendon, and then I found out that I had lost interest in Jiu-Jitsu. My drive was no longer there.
But because martial arts for me is more than just training (also really clears my head and gives me purpose). So I did continue with martial arts, and boxing and kicking suits me best.

Here is a picture of me from 3 years ago, handing over my book to my trainer. Trainers/senseis have always been great mentors to me.

1647163946517.jpeg

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
Yesterday I published an article with my notes from Rickson Gracie's autobiography. He's one of the best fighters in history and a BJJ icon. In case anyone's interested, here it is:

Henderson

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jun 29, 2022
This is a cool thread. As a new joiner to this forum, I am happy to find people that share the same interests as me (besides making a bank). Anyway...

My dad enrolled me in a Karate school ( Wadō-ryū) when I was eight. I have a black belt but haven't trained in it for more than a decade.

These days I train in BJJ & Boxing

Started BJJ just after watching hours of Joe Rogan talking about it. This was a few years ago. Since then I have been to the west coast to train with Joko, and Eddie Bravo, as well as with Kron Gracie (Rickson's son) in LA. Fair to say I am obsessed with the sport.

I love boxing for self-defense. But mostly for its history and culture.

If you are looking purely for something self-defense I would always go for something simple. Something where you actually spar full contact (boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ, etc.). Krav Maga is a whole lot of BS for sure. After having worked as a bouncer during my college days I can vouch for boxing more than anything else.

However, there are many factors that come into play when it comes to self-defense. Anxiety, adrenaline, multiple attackers, lighting, confined spaces, alcohol, familiarity with the environment, clothing, heck even rain or snow. Last but not least familiarity with violence and the potential for one's own aggression. And even if you get out of a situation or 'win' there are so many legal proceedings that could happen after the fact.

It is sad to see so many martial arts styles selling a false sense of security and confidence. A person I really respect is Mick Coup and his core combatives system. He voices things as they are. And I just like his personality.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPysz3dYoxA

That's a pretty solid simulation for three different self-defense situations.

I once did something like this outdoors for wilderness first aid and let me tell you: in the heat of the moment this is WAY harder than it looks when you're watching it. After the fact it's all quite clear but while it's happening, even though you know it's a simulation, you're still going to do some dumb shit.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Ruger LCP II .380

You need the max bro! You’ll love it.

Since summer is hot here and pocket carry is a pain, I have been carrying a sling pack from Viktos. It works great with the Kiddo around because he needs stuff lol. The best feature though is that it can carry a full frame 10mm Glock and two spare mags. It also carries a full sized Leatherman surge that has a really nice one handed blade as well.

I normally have that on me these days. I realize that sounds like a lot, but you get super used to being extremely well armed once you implement it.

The vast majority of my training and practice has been with firearms. I’m highly proficient with all of mine. I also train in general with the heavy bag. I find various heavy bag workouts on YouTube and just do them.

A knife is not really part of my defensive plan, but I generally will check a bag when I fly and bring that Leatherman. It’s better than nothing and I find that I use at least one of its other features daily.

I have a toddler and a wife to consider. I’m not going to be able to run very fast with my primary objective to make them safe. A gun helps me better take care of my family than running away. I can defend against a threat while escaping at whatever pace we end up escaping at.

Last edited:

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
551%
Apr 17, 2022
in the heat of the moment this is WAY harder than it looks when you're watching it. After the fact it's all quite clear but while it's happening, even though you know it's a simulation, you're still going to do some dumb shit.
100%

You don't rise to the level of your expectations, you fail to the level of your training. In any high stress situation, your logic shuts down and you default to your instincts - which can only be trained during drills and simulations.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Self defense drills... here's a scenario. You hire a company, and some time in the next 2 years, they tear gas your house and shoot everyone who runs out with paintball guns. Or they ambush you in the work parking lot, also with non-lethal but very stressful force. Sounds unpleasant, but maybe it's the only way to know for sure how prepared you are :rofl:. Personal red-team as a service?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.