I have a couple of questions for you:
1. Do you rent these homes by the room or by the whole house?
2. What kind of deposits are you currently collecting, and what are your normal damage costs (average)?
3. If you were to walk thru every three months (which you would need to put in the lease ahead of time, as the tenants have a right to privacy), what would you be looking for--damages or just cleaning?
1. Get more as a deposit?
2. Get a parent to co-sign?
3. Raise rents to cover a bi-monthly housekeeper to go in and clean the bathrooms and the kitchen?
4. Don't rent to college kids?
5. Spell out what you think is reasonable wear and tear ahead of time?
6. Take them to small claims if the damage exceeds the deposits--and stick it to the parents if necessary?