The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

You have no experience or schooling, what do you do?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Mike4424

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2014
Let's put it this way, picture yourself a few years out of high school with no real degrees, and not a whole lot of amazing experience, and maybe $10,000 to spend. What do you do?

Do you find a college to go to and get your MBA? Do you get into commission based sales? Start a business idea? Go to wall street?

I know some of you might think this question is just asking "what would you do in my shoes," but I think it's a great way to get people who are very stationary looking at the stepping stones to the fast lane. It is close to my personal situation too, being a pharmacy technician (not happily) with no degree. Sometimes I wish I just had a direction to go and then work my a$$ off at it.

So........What would you do?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mike4424

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2014
Work on developing a skill you will be able to monetize later in life.
What do you mean specifically? Find something you are already good at and become great? Or find something very profitable and become good at it?

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
Find something you'll enjoy doing, and that market has demand for.

This may, or may not, be something you are already good at.

jockinbox

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 8, 2014
Miami, FL
Let's put it this way, picture yourself a few years out of high school with no real degrees, and not a whole lot of amazing experience, and maybe $10,000 to spend. What do you do?

Do you find a college to go to and get your MBA? Do you get into commission based sales? Start a business idea? Go to wall street?

I know some of you might think this question is just asking "what would you do in my shoes," but I think it's a great way to get people who are very stationary looking at the stepping stones to the fast lane. It is close to my personal situation too, being a pharmacy technician (not happily) with no degree. Sometimes I wish I just had a direction to go and then work my a$$ off at it.

So........What would you do?

I would learn to use the search tool in TFLF

Bowden

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 29, 2010
TAMPA, FL
I would continue to grind it out at work. Spend my free time learning everything I could about sales, IM, copywriting, basic Wordpress, PPC ads, etc. When I say learn I don't mean read websites and blogs for hours on in. I mean read and implement at the same time. Get hands on experience while learning.

Once I had a basic understanding of those things I would evaluate any and all ideas I had for businesses. Determine which one is "the one" and roll with it. Take what I know and get my feet wet. No matter what happens I would keep grinding it out, getting better and better at all those things listed above. If the first project isn't a success, no worries! Experience in learning and doing something is. Knowledge is power and learning is always continuous.

See how many times I mentioned learning? That's because as an entrepreneur you are always learning. Whether its finding out how to get a product manufactured or adding an email subscription pop up on your website. There will always be something you need to learn.

Good luck

G

GuestUser113

So, is this a progress thread or are you just complaining? I can name a lot of millionaires or billionaires who do not have a degree.

Excuses. Sorry, we are not at liberty to make your life decision for you.

Magik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 23, 2013
Needs and ideas are uncovered through engagement. The fastlane is about being on the field of life playing the game, not on the sidelines watching.

To someone fresh out of high school, I would tell them to skip college and enter into either sales or marketing within a growth industry or an industry with evergreen needs. Sales is typically the place to start: insurance, house upgrades/repair (roofing, windows), security systems, car sales, etc. Then, once in an industry, start looking for needs to be filled. And for your future, don't take on any debt whatsoever.

If you do the above, you'll be further along than most people.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
stepping stones to the fast lane.

Why do people use the word "Fastlane" when it's clear they are using it as a form of cognitive laziness...

1) They don't know what "Fastlane" actually means (they just assume it's some kind of make money fast thingy)

~ OR ~

2) They have never read the book which defines it, but since it's used ubiquitously here, let me drop it in my post.

~ OR ~

3) They claim to have read /skimmed the book, but clearly didn't comprehend any damn thing in it.

Perhaps its time for a newbie/"getting started" forum where all these questions can be dumped for anyone willing to take the time.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

rogen

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
May 27, 2013
-
I'm in this situation right now. Minus $10,000 part.

What I will do? I wasted a year on doing nothing so I now know what I won't do again for sure.
I'm getting my high school diploma part time. During this time I HAVE to earn money. I just started publishing on Kindle, I'm making 2,09 a day and growing. What's next, I don't know honestly, without money I can't buy traffic. I need something to go viral I guess. I have find and solve a need somehow.. Hustle.

William

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Feb 15, 2012
1. Find something that you're generally passionate about; getting away from your pharmacy job, helping your family, etc. Find that.
2. Create your own direction; write down goals with numbers and dates. Make them small and measurable.
3. Execute on the first step. Then, the next.
4. Read the Millionaire Fastlane , if you have read it again. AND read threads on this forum. There are so many threads that answer your questions.

integrity

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Apr 6, 2014
Not having the needed information or education cannot be an excuse or limitation in the mind of an entrepreneur.

Learning is a process that never ends, and most of the time it is done as you go along.

"Don't know how" should be replaced in your mind by "How can I do."

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
I would go find an amazing forum full of priceless information drawn from hundreds of years of collective experience and ask them to give you an answer. :p

Just try. Don't talk to people about what you want to do, do it and talk about what happens.

Try a bunch of ideas. Get after it. Just keep working your a$$ off DOING things - learning things doesn't count unless it is applied.

The bottom line is that if you can't get started without having "specific" absolute direction, then you may not be comfortable trying to make things happen on your own.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
Spend a month or two combing this forum and be mentored by the awesome "info" here.

for the past days these type of threads have been getting under my skin , that persons like you have already so much opportunity right at their thumbs just by virtue of being in the US alone and I would LOVE to have your "dilemma" lol.

I am in a shitty third wold country where i have worked for an entire year and managed to only save $50,000 jm (500 usd).
And then persons come to the forum complain that they hate their job when they make at least above $30,000 F*cking usd a year and can just walk down the road and start a business....

Dont get me wrong I am not looking for sympathy or excuses because that shit will get you nowhere here and the only way you can leave this place is to create your own opportunities and claw your way out and its mostly the "old posts" here that has given me the chance to do just that.

Stop the complaining and looking for free handouts and go do your due diligence ,read the hundreds of posts then come ask better questions or better yet take action.

sle3pyguii

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Aug 19, 2012
Read the Gold Threads, take notes, then go do something with whatever money I saved.

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014
If you have to ask this question, go start on a degree at community college while working a J-O-B and saving more money.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
I would use ALL my connections to find a successful entrepreneur in your area, find out if he/she has any small businesses that need an extra pair of hands. Be willing to do anything and do it better than they have ever had it done. Even if you start on the dock unloading the truck you learn about logistics, which turns into inventory control, which turns into production rates, which turns into scheduling and on.... better than any degree you will ever acquire.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
  1. Find an experienced entrepreneur. Most likely someone from this forum.
  2. Move to wherever they live if need be.
  3. Do whatever they tell you to do, and learn what you do during the process that they teach you.
  4. Do whatever they tell you to do, even if it means 'failure'. If they tell you to read a book on unicorns... read it.
  5. Learn why you are doing the things you are doing. Don't be scared to ask questions.
  6. Ask them how they got started with their business before you got on board.
Network with others along the way. Learn.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Not nothing. I would not do nothing. Because a lot of people here think and then do nothing. They don't even try, they just think about how cool it would be to be rich and then they don't do shit. I've been there, I think most of us have been there at some point. But no progress is made when you're doing nothing.

Pretty much every serious answer here is a good way to get started. But first, you have to be tuned into the 'adding value' mindset. Whatever you do, it should leave something or someone better than when you first came across it. Then, just go out and do something.

And stop trying to do the 'optimal' thing. Go make some mistakes.

ColtonJD91

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 23, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
I spend a lot of my free time reading, and it pays dividends. Maybe start with MJ's book? After that, if you can do marketing, you can sell anything. A lot of these guys that have built insanely profitable marketing systems haven;'t stepped foot inside a classroom since high school.

jockinbox

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 8, 2014
Miami, FL

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.