The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

You have 600K in candies, what would you do?

dario

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 14, 2012
I could sell each small package for $1 and $2 for the big one.

gallery_286.jpg

Any suggestion about how to get rid of this batch without losing money ?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
Are those "Diet" candies?

I'd make a simple ecommerce page with Packs of those, look if you can offer international shipping at decent rates.

Instagram advertising would be a killer for that kind of stuff.

JSheppard

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Mar 19, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
I am very confident in this one:

Approach PTA meetings for jr highs: 12-15 year olds (they're parents who are involved in the school system) and say I have an opportunity for kids who are looking to learn about entreprenuership and make much more money than they could cutting lawns or babysitting. I'm a local businessman who, through a huge mistake I made, ended up with a ton of candy, at a great discount. If your children are looking to learn how to create their own job, build a solid work ethic, learn to work well with others, handle their money more effectively, understand the needs of others before their selves, and heck, just make some money: I'd love to show you what i have to offer after the meeting.

Then meet with them, and offer attractive wholesale pricing. The parents act as wholesalers, kids as retailers, and elementary (7-11 year olds) as customers. Every elementary kid looks up to jr high kid and wants candy, jr high are all looking to make money, parents are looking to put these values in their kids: win-win-win (oh and you liquidate your candy within a few weeks without taking a bath)

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I am very confident in this one:

Approach PTA meetings for jr highs: 12-15 year olds (they're parents who are involved in the school system) and say I have an opportunity for kids who are looking to learn about entreprenuership and make much more money than they could cutting lawns or babysitting. I'm a local businessman who, through a huge mistake I made, ended up with a ton of candy, at a great discount. If your children are looking to learn how to create their own job, build a solid work ethic, learn to work well with others, handle their money more effectively, understand the needs of others before their selves, and heck, just make some money: I'd love to show you what i have to offer after the meeting.

Then meet with them, and offer attractive wholesale pricing. The parents act as wholesalers, kids as retailers, and elementary (7-11 year olds) as customers. Every elementary kid looks up to jr high kid and wants candy, jr high are all looking to make money, parents are looking to put these values in their kids: win-win-win (oh and you liquidate your candy within a few weeks without taking a bath)
It might be just me, but I hate this idea.
It bugs me when the schools, PTA, etc. exploit the kids and then the kids have to put pressure on friends and family to sell crap.

JSheppard

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Mar 19, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Then tell me a better idea. Don't just shit on mine without bringing anything to the table.

And really exploit? Am I handcuffing this kid to a sewing machine? Or offering him a way to make money, learn valuable life skills and learn about business?

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
Then tell me a better idea. Don't just shit on mine without bringing anything to the table.

And really exploit? Am I handcuffing this kid to a sewing machine? Or offering him a way to make money, learn valuable life skills and learn about business?
Touchy.....he was making an observation not an attack

It's tricky because since there is tons of candy alot of it is branding. I wouldnt buy this over a Reeses even if the Reeses was a $1 more.

Best thing I can think of is a Joint Venture at concession stands. Buy a Reeses (with a slight marked up price) get a new, flavorful candy that is coming out soon. Take a cut of each sale.

Not sure the profitablity of tye approach.

If you are going to use kids, put a Scouts uni on them outside a Kroger [emoji6]

MayaMagpie

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 11, 2014
London, UK
Sell as a job lot on ebay?
Offer them to gyms to sell on consignment?
Offer them to Italian businesses?

I looked it up, it's a sugarfree candy brand from Italy, so Americans may be largely unaware of it... Tricky.

mememan

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Oct 16, 2013
It might be just me, but I hate this idea.
It bugs me when the schools, PTA, etc. exploit the kids and then the kids have to put pressure on friends and family to sell crap.

Yep. Kids are like prisoners: everyone trying to suck money out of them :p

Also, I think you'd saturate your local area with this crap ;)

JSheppard

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Mar 19, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Just because I can't offer a better idea doesn't make yours a good idea.

Your idea: do nothing, have no money and tons of inventory.

My idea: turn the inventory into money and help out other people.

My idea>>>your idea.

You can talk all day about things that don't actually help this guy, or you can bring something to the table.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Diabetics might be able to eat it! That would be your target area, or people losing weight. Other than that I don't know who would eat it. Maybe see if you can sell it to a nursing home, or senior citizen community to go with lunches or dinners. Assisted living centers where they leave candy out for residents to eat. Even meals on wheels kind of thing.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

My idea>>>your idea.

You can talk all day about things that don't actually help this guy, or you can bring something to the table.
Okay, fine.

With what little we know, I'd be looking at starting an Amazon project. Like Kendrick's soaps or Dave's candles. He's got inventory to last awhile. It might be a good way to learn the process.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Are you in the States?

JSheppard

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Mar 19, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Okay, fine.

With what little we know, I'd be looking at starting an Amazon project. Like Kendrick's soaps or Dave's candles. He's got inventory to last awhile. It might be a good way to learn the process.

I've never heard of these before. But really, why isn't this guy giving us more details? He's asking us how to get rid of a huge amount of debt and hasn't given us anything but total investment and a picture?

-Will this inventory spoil in a month or a decade?
-What cost is he in this for per unit?
-Where is he operating out of? Ghana is different than San Francisco...
-What kind of experience does he have with candy sales? (and all sales)
-Why in the hell did he buy 600k of an unproven candy?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Any suggestion about how to get rid of this batch without losing money ?

And at what level is "losing money"?

More information please. I surely hope your first post isn't the last since the good folks here have decided to help you.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

My idea>>>your idea.

Okay, fine.

Upon further thought, what I'd really do is call @JackEdwards.

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN
D

Deleted21704

Sell to candy stores? Those convenience carts in the city? Frozen yogurt places? If it's 'healthy', health-food-type stores? Restaurant, flea-shop, or eBay-store owners as customer thank-yous? I once got a bag of flower seeds with a hand-written note from an eBay seller who sold me a pair of jeans. Totally random, but very memorable.

Or perhaps companies who will be doing job fairs at universities in the fall...they like to have candy on their tables to lure crowds. I'd imagine this is a good time to approach them.

The possibilities are endless. It depends on your approach, your product, your price, your time-frame, and a host of other data you haven't provided.

Such an odd situation. Nice mental exercise though.

Tony Nguyen

Action is the foundational key to all success.
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Mar 21, 2014
WHY DO YOU HAVE 600k IN CANDY..?
best way I could think of is selling candy for $3.00 a piece and donation towards charity so 1-2$ in profit & 1$ towards charity to get people to buy the marketed up candy?

The candy is not proven.. not sure if it spoils, and not sure how much 600k in candy looks like (basically not sure how much inventory you have).

try going to convenient stores and making a deal with them for percentage of profits or big box stores?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If this guy doesn't have the consideration to login and answer these questions, I'm going to gouge my eyes out with a hot lead pipe.

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
Does he have $600,000 in candy, or 600,000 packs of candy?! I haven't figured that part out yet.
Since its an Italian candy, I would try to sell it in that market.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
I have some thoughts on this, but before I waste any time I want to know the parameters people are asking for. Specifically:

1. Where are you?

2. Do you have $600,000 or 600,000 units. That's a very big difference.

3. Why do you have this candy?

4. Is there any reason that this candy would not be lawful for distribution in certain areas (i.e., contains unhealthy/carcinogenic products)?

5. What was your cost of acquisition?

My guess is that you're looking to unload large quantities on high-volume distributors or find a way to piggy-back your sale on the back of other online purchases. Selling cheapo items individually by mail-order is a good way to get raped by your shipping service.

Last edited:

z6Evolved

[Danger Zone]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jun 25, 2014
VAB
Hey, maybe it fell off the back of a truck and it's 100% profit. This guy might be on to a new revenue stream most of us haven't considered.

You can all expect my "Making Millions Selling Stolen Candy" progress thread soon.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
We can just play diet candy crush while we're waiting!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.