The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Working my way up with what I have. YOU?

Mislead Mizfit

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jul 25, 2014
Mena AR
Hello Fastlane,
I would rather not disclose my name so you may call me Mizfit.
I am 21 and come from a small town but most of us do right. I'm really on the artistic side and love to draw,paint and sew. If you see it, I can draw it. It brings in money sometimes. But it's mostly a hobby. I have worked the 9-5 and in some cases I liked it but in others....lets just say I'd rather eat dirt for a living. I want to make money and be happy doing it. I know that will take work and lots of dedication on my part but I'm more than willing to get my hands dirty.
In my town it's hard to get a business off the ground, basically you are committing mental and financial suicide. The only successful businesses here are the ones from a Famous chain like WalMart,McDonald's,Wendy's and Atwoods. Sure we have Salons and Dollar Stores but that's about it. I want to start a business with what I already have available and work up from there. I don't have much except for my artistic skill and a lot of material. They say it takes money to make money. Well.... I have no money. Lol But it will not stop me from trying to make something out of nothing!
I have a few ideas on getting started but I'm still confused and have that helpless feeling despite all of the research I am doing. I have looked into Kickstarter,Indegogo and Fundly. Seriously thinking about using them to get the basics and materials I need to get started but I don't know if I should. I already have my own logo drawn out and a Brand name idea. Also I have at least 3 VERY good invention ideas but I don't have the know how or contacts to make them come to life. Needles to say I want to change that. Very very VERY badly.
I normally look to my dear husband for help but NO MORE!
I want to be independent!
So if you have any suggestions or tips that you think would steer me in the right direction I would appreciate them. Thanks for taking the time to read!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Read the book The Millionaire Fast Lane. You can get the first few chapters free at the link above. Good luck! Glad you are here.

Mislead Mizfit

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jul 25, 2014
Mena AR
You will not succeed with that mindset. Do you really need to start a local biz? If you have painting skills, why not learn photoshop and sell graphic packs online?

It's not really a mindset for me it's just a fact of the town. I do want to start a business but I think I am going to rule out starting a storefront. Thanks for the idea of using photoshop too. I'm actually learning that already.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
You are a good writer.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I love the Northwest Arkansas area.

Mislead Mizfit

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jul 25, 2014
Mena AR
My problem is I don't really know where to start. I want to do all of these things and have a lot of ideas, but I'm not sure where to start first. Build a website? Get an audience/clientele base on the social medias? I'm not sure what else. But you can be sure I'm reading all that I can on each subject that I mentioned. I'm just saying, I would like someone to tell me what steps I probably need to do first.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
What are you good at? take a look at fiverr.com and look what people are offering, the quality is usually pretty crappy and the good people on there are there for a short time until they build up a client list. Maybe you can list some services on there and see if you like freelancing? You wont make much money to begin but its more for experience

Rcaraway1989

Rob C
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
470%
Mar 16, 2011
Austin, TX
Since you're an artist, you could try throwing up a DeviantArt page, putting some of your work on there, and begin gathering a following from there. Putting yourself out there is the most important thing -- you'll never know what people like and don't like if you dont. No need to commit to a website yet.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
Take a look at vladstudio.com He is a graphic designer, became popular, and makes good money.

Everything is possible if you have a plan, to have a plan you need a goal. Make a goal.

Good luck and welcome.

integrity

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Apr 6, 2014
Since you're on the artistic side of things, maybe look into selling graphics on places like GraphicRiver.net.

You could also browse all of the Envato sites to see if there's anything else you feel like you could get into, from making short audio jingles, video introductions, logo templates, stock images, ect.. For stock images, be sure to check out istockphoto and shutterstock as well.

Here's their full site list: http://www.envato.com/sites

This might not make you a millionaire quickly, but it's definitely a start.

G

GuestUser113

Here is a project I used to give to students

Pick a news paper, toss all the adverts
open it to any full 2 pages. place on table stand up.

start reading.

the goal is to come up with a business plan, improvement or some angle before you get to the end of the page.

I did this once as an example. 5 entrepreneur's looked at the same page with me.

not one of them saw a single "business"
I looked, and saw one for almost every article, and 2 for a couple of articles.

after doing this for a couple weeks, they could each see at least 1 opportunity.

the idea is to not get more ideas, since those are almost worthless, but to exercise your brain into recognizing opportunity where ever. later on, when you have a business, you can learn to see where the opportunities lie, and to kill bad ideas fast.

When I read a paper a while back, I saw a leash law was enacted in a town. biz idea, Dog Walking Service.

When I saw that new roads were being put in, a real estate play, or possible contractor? or even a service to several contractors, where you put together a Binder of how to win the bid on that current project, including, a short ver of the requirements, and a short list of who they need to contact directly...

There is a woman who makes almost 2M a year hiring People with doctorates, to come through the energy policies of the US, and sells the reports to large corporations, on deciphering the new policies every year....

Thats just one way to get a work out for the brain....
Hope that helps

here is something that may help you, it was posted by @(zen*******)

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...ify-business-opportunities.37175/#post-195782

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...