The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why High School Is Useless

D

Deleted2BB3x9

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get some input on something my Dad and I are currently fighting about. So, as some of you know, i've started my own e-commerce store. This is my first business, so there is a lot of learning involved, i'm constantly on my computer just absorbing information and working on my store.

But, since i'm just 16, I'm still in high school. That's the problem. School takes a huge part out of my day and just drains my energy. Then I have countless assignments and tons of homework. By the time I'm done everything, I don't have much time left for my business.

Honestly, I don't give a damn about school, but my parents do. I personally don't care if I fail, I actually want to drop out. I know I'm never going to use anything i've learned ever again, and it's just interfering with my business. I'd rather concentrate all my efforts on my business. The only value I see in school is if I want to go to college/university but i'm not interested. However, my parents just keep pushing for me to get that high school diploma.

So my parents are forcing me to go. When I'm at school, I'm still just working on my business. I don't listen to the lessons, I just read books. But my teachers are getting pretty tired of me not listening to them so they take my books. For the last two days I've skipped out, and I've gotten SO MUCH more work done. But now my parents are getting mad, and I keep trying to explain to them that I don't need school but they won't listen. Not sure if they're being closed minded or if it's me, but anyway I see no value in school. It's just a waste of time and energy. If I can make money without school then what's the point of school?

Right now, I think i'm just going to go to school but skip out or not care about the lessons or my grades. But I'm open to suggestion. My parents keep mentioning I need a plan b if my business fails, and I do and it's not school! If ever my business fails, I would just become a freelance copywriter. But still, my parents want me to continue with my "education".

So now I'm looking for input, I'd like to hear what you guys have to say about high school and it's value.

P.S. If I got some responses from some millionaires that I could show them then maybe my parents would finally have confidence in me and my business.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:
D

DeletedUser394

Every time another one of these damn school thread starts, a baby kitten dies and someone in West Africa contracts ebola.

You are not an adult. Therefore you need to abide by the rules and expectations established by your parents. There's really no discussion beyond that point, unless you consider emancipation.

To quit high school is absolutely, positively, stupendously, utterly, unfailingly, immeasurably ludicrous unless you're already bringing in massive amounts of money. Which I presume you are not.

When you're 18 (or rich) then you have a say. Until then, sorry. That's how it works unfortunately.

High school should not even be difficult. I never did anything and did quite well.

redthumb

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Aug 5, 2013
Texas
Man look at you 16 props, I graduated High school a couple months ago(I'm 18) . Right now I'm working on my small Business and bootstrapping every little cent I can. I got my entrepreneurial bug the end of my junior year. My grades suffered pretty bad and since I drove my own Vehicle I would skip classes and go to the public library all through senior year. I was almost charged with truancy :headbanger: so I would recommend not skipping class as it affected my relationship with my parents.

You are already in so why not finish it, Also don't take offense to what the guys are saying, there showing tough love:p. To try and help you with the choice you are trying to make and they speak from experiance.

youngtrep

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Dec 30, 2013
Northeast USA
Holy shit, first with college posts and now this, I feel like next time I come on this forum there will be a new thread saying "I'm 5, should I drop out of kindergarten to focus on my business?" Dude you are 16, you can not drop out of high school no matter how great you think your business is going. Stop skipping classes, stop making your parents worry that their child is going to be a high school dropout with no future, stop not giving a shit about school and get your damn high school diploma. Keep running your business and you will still be way ahead of the curve. Sorry to be so harsh, but no "millionaire" is going to come on here and encourage you to drop out, and honestly would your parents believe a printout of forum posts from a website they've never heard of.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
It sucks but if you're in the US, you're still a minor. If you're not making a good amount of money from your business & if your parents aren't abusing you, it's a tough case for emancipation. I feel for you. It sucks not having autonomy over your own life (I recall it well, I f*cking hated it also). But at this point, you're living in your parents home & you're under their legal care. You have to play by their rules & the law of the land. I know it sucks but play the game, jump through the hoops & keep your eye on the prize of making your own way in the world. It will pass.

rogen

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
May 27, 2013
-
Don't be so selfish, finish it and do it for your parents, not yourself. School is annoying, sure, but just be done with it, dropping out at this point is not worth the headache. Trust me.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
That's the problem. School takes a huge part out of my day and just drains my energy.

If you find high school to be draining then just wait until your business is really asking for all of your attention. There are people on this forum that built their business on the side while in college, or while working a 9-5 (in some cases add a wife and kids to this equation.)

If you think you're starved for time now, just wait. High school is a joke. I was in all of those advanced classes, yet still slacked off the whole time and played hours and hours of video games every night. Free time galore.

You're 16. Just suck it up and listen to your parents. If you get to the point where you surpass their income, then maybe you can sit down and have a grown up conversation. Making $88 in Amazon Affiliate sales in a day is cool, but it doesn't mean you are ready to take on the world (I remember a few months after I read TMF I had this thought process when I hit that amount one day.) Stay in school.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
you are young and as long as your parents provide you with food , shelter and clothes on your back , whatever they say goes.

Anyways why do you want to grow up so fast?

Enjoy high school and the years of being aimless and not having to give a shit because if you think school is a drain on energy then what will you think when the "real world" hits you?

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
it isn't hard to pass high school- I am someone who dropped out of university and got straight C's in high school because I had no interest in it- so I know how you feel, but I never even considered dropping out of high school as a real option. To pass high school all you have to do is show up- so that is what you need to do.

Like someone else said- if anything do it for your parents. You are a minor, you live under their roof, and when it all comes down to it, they have the final say. Go to school, do your homework, and spend the rest of the time working on your business.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I dropped out at 17 (end of Juninor year)

Best decision of my life? No.
Worst decision of my life? No.

I learned a TON more in that year than I would have sitting in class all day, I had to grow up a bit as well. Parents initially were extremely against the idea but I had conversations with them until they hesitantly let me do it; they told me 6 months afterwards that they felt and saw I had ultimately made the right decision for me. I also lost contact with all of my friends from HS, was a hermit for a while until I started getting out and meeting business people in my community.

If you get a week off of school and you spend it playing video games, don't drop out. If you have a week off from school and you spend it working your a$$ off (and not action-faking), and you know you want to be an entrepreneur without a doubt in your head, and you're up will 2 every night working and up again at 6 the next day to drag yourself to school; drop out.

Overall it was a decision that was right for me, I wouldn't change it. However, had I stayed in school, my entrepreneurial career really wouldn't look any different; I would just be a year behind which in the long run is pretty damn insignificant.

Not persuading you one way or the other, just giving you more perspectives to think about.

Last edited:

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Enjoy high school and the years of being aimless and not having to give a shit because if you think school is a drain on energy then what will you think when the "real world" hits you?

So I've already posted giving my thoughts, and think he should stay in school.

That being said, I do disagree with it whenever people say "High school is the best years of your life, enjoy it while you can." I don't know if that's what you meant from your post, but regardless it's something I here adults say to high school kids all the time.

The way it seems to me, high school is really only the best years of your life if you are in "the popular group", and I know I wasn't. I don't want to over-dramatize it, I had plenty of friends and was never bullied or anything like that. But just saying that from my experience, things get a lot better for a lot of people after graduation.

Maybe it's because I'm still in that weird age where I'm far removed from all the high school drama bullshit but not yet into the "I'm old enough to rent a car and be a real adult" phase. Perhaps I'll change my opinion then. But as it stands, I don't like it when adults preach to kids about how they should savor that precious ages 14-18. Most people don't peak until after high school.

Just sharing a pet peeve, not necessarily directing this to you. ;) Though I'm interested to hear if others agree.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
You'll meet way more girls while attending high school and working on your e-commerce business than you would by dropping out and just working on your e-commerce business. I almost guarantee it.

925nomore

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 14, 2014
Georgia
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get some input on something my Dad and I are currently fighting about. So, as some of you know, i've started my own e-commerce store. This is my first business, so there is a lot of learning involved, i'm constantly on my computer just absorbing information and working on my store.

But, since i'm just 16, I'm still in high school. That's the problem. School takes a huge part out of my day and just drains my energy. Then I have countless assignments and tons of homework. By the time I'm done everything, I don't have much time left for my business.

Honestly, I don't give a damn about school, but my parents do. I personally don't care if I fail, I actually want to drop out. I know I'm never going to use anything i've learned ever again, and it's just interfering with my business. I'd rather concentrate all my efforts on my business. The only value I see in school is if I want to go to college/university but i'm not interested. However, my parents just keep pushing for me to get that high school diploma.

So my parents are forcing me to go. When I'm at school, I'm still just working on my business. I don't listen to the lessons, I just read books. But my teachers are getting pretty tired of me not listening to them so they take my books. For the last two days I've skipped out, and I've gotten SO MUCH more work done. But now my parents are getting mad, and I keep trying to explain to them that I don't need school but they won't listen. Not sure if they're being closed minded or if it's me, but anyway I see no value in school. It's just a waste of time and energy. If I can make money without school then what's the point of school?

Right now, I think i'm just going to go to school but skip out or not care about the lessons or my grades. But I'm open to suggestion. My parents keep mentioning I need a plan b if my business fails, and I do and it's not school! If ever my business fails, I would just become a freelance copywriter. But still, my parents want me to continue with my "education".

So now I'm looking for input, I'd like to hear what you guys have to say about high school and it's value.

P.S. If I got some responses from some millionaires that I could show them then maybe my parents would finally have confidence in me and my business.

Well, I wouldn't want to encourage you to drop out of school, especially if you're still living in your parents home. You have one of two options:
1. Move out and stay with a friend until your business takes off (not recommending).
2. Manage your time better so that you can give your parents what they want and get what you want in return... (less stressful)
Question??? How much success have you seen so far in your business?

Last edited:

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
Actually don't PM me. I'll say it here.

I invite you look at the following high-school curriculum example below. I argue that if you change the way you look at high-school, you'll not only immediately decide against dropping out but you'll be excited to go and soak up as much information as possible. The classes required and offered are designed to help make you a well-rounded individual. It's designed to give you basic understanding of how the world works so that you can begin to make informative decisions. It gives you the chance to explore different subjects in hope that you may be inspired to pursue them outside of academia. You have the opportunity to take each and every class, both core and elective, for FREE. How you choose to utilize it after you're done is up to you. If that means ditching college and pursuing business, so be it. There isn't a single subject below that you couldn't benefit from in the business world. Not a single one is a waste of your time. If you can find a single subject that you can prove to me that couldn't be beneficial in the business world I'll personally write your parents a letter saying anything you want.

P.S You'll fail. A ton..It's easier to get a seed-money job with a diploma.

http://www.k12.com/courses/high-school-courses/high-school-course-list#.VBknY-cb5HE

Last edited:
D

Deleted2BB3x9

Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't replied but I was sleeping lol. And wow, I never expected to get this many responses. Anyway, I expected to get different answers, but with the majority saying to go to school, I guess I've been proved wrong. I don't have any sales yet, so I don't really have a reason. So I'll just do the right thing and stay in school, I know my parents are getting stressed out by me doing this so I'll just make them happy.

Although, I still don't see any point to it, other than pleasing my parents. I'll give it another try, but I may just end up switching my mind again, I have no doubt in my mind that I want to be an entrepreneur and they just don't teach that in school. I have talked with my parents about it already but they really don't give me a reason why I should go, they say that they support me fully and are proud of me and my business but still want me to go to school because they want me to.

My takeaway from this is there is no reason to go, but it'll keep my parents off my back and maintain their support.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Man you are so far ahead of the current it's unreal.

Relax. Keep doing what you can with what you have. See the opportunities:

• You get to learn RUTHLESS, OPTIMAL time management, AT THE AGE OF 16!
  • You get to meet girls.
  • Friends.
  • The 'pain' of being there will make the desire that much stronger, if you look at it differently. (2 years from now everything will be ready and I'm gonna F*ckin' crush it.)

You've basically got 2 years to arm yourself to the teeth, so that when you do fully go out onto the battlefield of business, you'll have tanks and airplanes blitzkrieging the shit out of your venture. Where as most people go out with a pistol and 4 bullets.

Keep your head up. Keep doing WHAT YOU CAN WITH WHAT YOU HAVE. Learn as much as possible. Do as much as possible. Fail as much as possible. If you can get to a stage where by 18-19 you have 'paid your dues' then by 30 you can totally get to 'retirement' (choice) age, possibly even earlier than that.

Twista

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Oct 13, 2013
Alabama
Take super easy classes during high school. That's what I'm doing so I don't have much school work to do, but it is my last year. Time goes by pretty quickly so you'll be finished in no time.

G

GuestUser113

I can see it now. Two years into the future. A new thread is made by @BusinessBen. "Hey guys, should I go to college? What degree should I go after? Hypothetical, if I have 20 bucks, what color should my Ferrari be?"

For the love of jar jar binks. Stay in school!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I don't have any sales yet

Stay in school and graduate. Words will not convince your parents, only results. And at this point, you have none.

That said, keep chugging along, keep learning, and keep doing and you definitely will like the outcomes. And eventually, so will your parents.

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
Oh, to be in high school again :D. It is encouraging to see 16 year olds wanting to make their life worth something. When I was 16, I was only trying to figure out how not to slobber all over my girlfriend when I kissed her.

However, many people miss the point of the education age i.e. high school and also college. Many here argue about: how you learn nothing, study for the test, having to listen to washed up failures teach a class on business etc., that's not the point.

The point is to find yourself:
FInd your personality, find what you like, how to talk with people, how to deal with getting picked on, how to be the popular person people want to be around, how to work in teams (extracurriculars).

These are essential skills for life in general.

Look at the problem with kids and cell phones nowadays. It used to be you didn't get a cell phone until perhaps mid-high school. I got my first cell phone when I was almost 17. Now kids get them when they're in elementary school.

Do you not think I matured as a man having to call the girl I liked at her house in 8th grade and having to talk with her Dad first? You mature awfully fast when being given the talk when you're 13 years old.

Recently, I was at a restaurant and a Mom and her 13-15 year old were eating lunch at the table in front of me. 75% of the time, the young girl would take a bite of her food with one hand, the other has her phone and she's just texting away, oblivious to her Mom. The Mom looked helpless, but did nothing. This girl hasn't learned even just basic manners due to the crutch of her cell phone i.e. it has prohibited her from maturing. It's her place to hide.

Point is, don't miss out on opportunities to mature and grow especially when you're not footing the bill. As a 16 year old, you need to be out exploring, getting rejected etc., not sitting at home trying to build ecommerce stores etc. You have plenty of time to do those things. Or, since you like doing it, do it on the side, but relationships are critical right now and how you handle relationships even more so.

Learn about yourself first.

D

Deleted2BB3x9

Hey guys,

Just wanted to update you guys in case you were wondering. So I talked to my Vice-principal this morning, we were trying to figure something out that would work for both of us. I didn't want to go to school and he wanted me to. So after a bit of discussion, he said it would be alright for me to work on my business, as long as I'm at school.

Now for my first two periods I get to work on my business and he said he would give me credits for it as long as he can see I'm making progress. Then I have french for third and accounting for fourth. I'm loving accounting so far, I just switched to it today.

I think this just goes to show, if you want something bad enough you'll figure out a way to make it work, no matter what kind of obstacles are ahead of you. Now my parents are pleased and so am I.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Honestly, I don't give a damn about school, but my parents do. I personally don't care if I fail, I actually want to drop out. I know I'm never going to use anything i've learned ever again, and it's just interfering with my business.

Most schools, especially public schools, are faced with such a dearth of student apathy that any indication of success or drive in a student will be met with a tidal wave of support and enthusiasm. People always want to drop out when something is boring or hard. You won't make it if that's your attitude, you should be putting in 120% because school is predictable and easy. When your teachers see you relentlessly driven and kicking a$$, they will move heaven and earth to accommodate your interests, as you found out.

While there, study English and math... hard. If you can't write well, you will be dismissed as a ravening moron for the rest of your life. If you don't know math, you're going to leave money on the table every day.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Hey guys,
Just wanted to update you guys in case you were wondering. So I talked to my Vice-principal this morning, we were trying to figure something out that would work for both of us. I didn't want to go to school and he wanted me to. So after a bit of discussion, he said it would be alright for me to work on my business, as long as I'm at school.
Now for my first two periods I get to work on my business and he said he would give me credits for it as long as he can see I'm making progress. Then I have french for third and accounting for fourth. I'm loving accounting so far, I just switched to it today.
I think this just goes to show, if you want something bad enough you'll figure out a way to make it work, no matter what kind of obstacles are ahead of you. Now my parents are pleased and so am I.

Excellent work. +Rep

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
My mother says she regrets not letting me drop out of school.

I had my GED test lined up and was getting ready to drop-ship to boot camp. Also had college courses set up for after basic. 20k signing bonus for 6 years. Free college, room, and board. Well maybe not free, I would of requested combat tours.

I spent an extra two years in school because of her decision to force me to stay. Got that diploma though.

I didn't go to school that much and couldn't focus the way they taught me. Also was involved with gangs and dealers. Didn't make life any easier when other students were trying to kill you.

If you're dropping out because it takes up too much time, that's bullshit. You're being selfish.

Only reason you should drop out is when you have a life plan.
Mine was military and college. Probably focusing in computers and business after that.

Saying you're going to start a business is just that. Talk.

Do the work. Get out. Then start your life plan. The great thing about business is the market doesn't care if you are an A+ student or an "uneducated" person from the streets of Baltimore(much like myself). If you can provide a lot of value, you become indispensable.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.