The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Which skill do you need as an entrepreneur

C

copywriter1980

Im deciding on which skills to study day in and day out that will eventually lead to success and creating the most value to people. Successful people say, just get good at one thing and master it.

Well, there's a few skills I think I would wqwqnt to Master,
Selling
Marketing
Communication
Copy writing
Business of course.

The reason I'm asking this is because I don't want to waste years mastering a skill that I don't NEED. Why learn a skill when you can just hire someone to do it for 10/hourly. However, I won't be able to hire anyone for some time. So I'll have to do basically everything myself. I don't want to waste time learning something that I won't need, time is precious. For example, its been discussed on here and proven that learning to code and program ISNT WORTH IT, learning a couple basics is fine so you can make websites, but I'm talking about mastering.

Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Joshy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jun 26, 2014
I don't think a skill set defines an entrepreneur.

To be an entrepreneur, you need the determination and drive to carry on when failure occurs. Those that pick themselves up off the ground and keep on fighting, those people are the entrepreneurs, and they will be successful.

I'm not saying skills don't help, because as we know, thats not true. Certain skills will definitely help, but if you don't have that hunger for freedom, then your skills are wasted. Once you have a business idea, brake it down into the skills that you think are needed to make the business successful, then spent your time learning them.

I'm saying all this, but if you want to do freelance copy writing, then obviously you need to be good at it. I guess its down to you and the business you wish to create.

I hope this makes sense, because i feel like i may have contradicted myself more than once.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Like MJ mentioned in his book, he did JIT learning (Just in Time)

So you find a need and then you need to research it (you learn to research)
You need to build it so you learn how to specify what you need
You have it made so you need to sell it (you learn how to market)
You need some SEO or PPC (so you learn this)
etc.

Well thats how I do it anyway

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
This is kinda hilarious.

So that list is the one thing you want to master?

I hear you though man, and I have a similar desire to really dig into all of the things you listed as well.

What you need to understand is the way that all of the things you listed are really interrelated - learning one will build on the others.

Learn by doing as well, this is the most important piece.

But, I believe in what I call "minimum viable knowledge". ->Go here<-

Sign up for all of this dudes free courses. Do it now because he is starting to charge for more and more of them. Especially the sales course - it is GREAT.

Also, lynda.com is amazing. It has easily paid for itself about 10 times over for me.

More than anything, make a plan to go from where you are to where you want to be and stick with it everyday. You will learn what you need to on the way if you do this. Otherwise, you can easily get sucked into perpetual learning - it should be about 80% doing and 20% learning.

Juhill

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Nov 22, 2011
Bozeman, MT
I don't think a skill set defines an entrepreneur.

To be an entrepreneur, you need the determination and drive to carry on when failure occurs. Those that pick themselves up off the ground and keep on fighting, those people are the entrepreneurs, and they will be successful.

I'm not saying skills don't help, because as we know, thats not true. Certain skills will definitely help, but if you don't have that hunger for freedom, then your skills are wasted. Once you have a business idea, brake it down into the skills that you think are needed to make the business successful, then spent your time learning them.

I'm saying all this, but if you want to do freelance copy writing, then obviously you need to be good at it. I guess its down to you and the business you wish to create.

I hope this makes sense, because i feel like i may have contradicted myself more than once.

THIS!

Boo Blizzi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 3, 2009
I dont know what type of venture you plan on launching, but I think you really need to only master 3 skills as an entrepreneur.

1. Selling - this is the absolute best skill anyone on EARTH can learn. You will never go hungry and it can make up for tons of other short comings
  2. Marketing - once you know how to sell, you will want better ways to get more prospects in front of you, your website, or whatever to close them
  3. Accurate thinking - you need to understand that you cant do everything by yourself and you need to bring other people in to help. Most entre's have the spirit of "If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself." You will hit a wall and cant scale your biz if you keep that way of thinking.

T14

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Sep 16, 2013
Learn to become a master of your emotions. How to think logically and remain focused. In business, ESPECIALLY with startups, new things pop up every day. Every single day, if you're doing it right, you'll be faced with new fires that need to be extinguished. It can be exhausting.

I think if you're a good person, with above average intelligence, and are driven, everything on your list can easily be learned. You need to control your thoughts to where they only serve the growth of you and your company.

Franky Neizer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
May 18, 2014
Accra
@copywriter1980 You should perfect your communication skills if you want to do business globally (I'm not talking about learning a foreign language, though you might have to). One of my favorite Chinese quotes: 'Don't open up shop if you don't know how to smile'.

I believe I've said enough with that quote. BTW: You should equip yourself with lots of skills that's what truly define an entrepreneur.. ;)

mikekob

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Oct 29, 2013
Denver, CO
Problem solving has been my big area of focus. Sales, marketing, copywriting, and all those skills I'm working on but not like I focus on problem solving.

Looking back at the last 5 months developing a product I continually try to look at how I address problems. If I can make that as effective as I can then it's one more hurdle out of the way. Now I write down the problem at hand, and really look at solutions from a more methodical point of view.

I'm a fledgling in the start-up, business world so I'm currently exploring every angle required to get off the ground. Some come easier than others but it's all a lot of fun. Emotional stability and thinking logically instead of emotionally has been a big one for me as well. With some of the hurdles starting a business can present the key is to keep going even in a low.

Mike

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.