The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Whats Your Favorite Book To Read?

Anything related to matters of the mind

thedropoutkid

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
It could be self help or just a read which bring clarity to your mind and heart.

Here are my top 5:

1. Think And Grow Rich
2. Think And Grow Rich
3. Think And Grow Rich
4. Think And Grow Rich

And did i forget to mention

5.Think And Grow Rich

What your favorite book to read.
Don't try n steal my copy.. :groove:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
A

Anon3587x

I'm getting the notion your all about the dollar signs my man. Could be wrong.

But how about you read about ways to provide value and feel needs for people.

The growing rich will come after.

• Banned

thedropoutkid

Banned
Jun 19, 2010

It's never good to judge a book by it's cover. You may get a paper cut bateati....

But I love the book think and grow rich, just like most entrepreneur who wish to free them selves financially. It's obvious providing value is a bi product of success. Thats a no brainier. But i was just expressing how much this book has changed my perception and my life. With my list. It's was suppose to be a bit comical. An obsession even, but that the pont of every success right?:hurray:

Sorry if I offended anyone, with my list. Whats your favorite book bateati?

A

Anon3587x

My favorite book would be completely non-business related lol.

But I see your motivated to be successful. I will attempt to explain why I judged you being all about the money.

If I remember right you have a book of you own to release right?

you are quoted saying

Its about my personal experiences which lead me to write the book and how i became an entrepreneur etc. The success of my book will show that my principles are correct and anyone else can " follow on my footsteps".

This leads me to believe your book is somewhat like PhxMJ's book "The Millionaire Fastlane ". Which is written by a real SELF MADE millionaire (PhxMJ) who has a ton of credibility. In theory his book is promoted by this site www.thefastlanetomillions.com (the forum you are reading)

This forum has 3,903 members
in the last 24 hours 1,935 people have visited this site. (highly targeted traffic)
This site has an alexa ranking of 35,730 (pretty dam good)
The information on this forum is GOLD. If you were to read every post you would have more knowledge then any book could give you.

This golden info brings in people who are interested in making money and being successful and the book is being advertised to them.

PhxMJ probably created this site for fun and then seen the opportunity in writing a book using the forum as a promotional method. Or maybe the whole forum was a way to promote his book ( i do not know )

But anyways your book in which I really only know vaguely about. Is similar to "The Millionaire Fastlane " written by a real millionaire with a HUGE amount of creditability and respect.

Which is seemingly going to be sold through a website in which you will attempt to promote however way you choose.

In your book you speak of this mindset it takes to be successful. As well as your experiences which led you to taking on the persona "the dropout kid". But from what I know you have not actually been very successful in the fastlane so the information in the book has no credibility.

Do you see how legit and well executed PhxMJ's promotional methods and overall idea for his book are compared to yours? (From what I know at least, you have not shown me anything more yet.)

This is because he actually knows what it takes to be the dropout kid and hit the fastlane(he has done it)

And you are skipping so many steps it takes to actually be the dropout kid because you just don't know. If you wanted the book to have a STRONG backbone with real value you would wait a little before publishing it and start some sort of business venture and continue with this until you were successful.

This of course would be harder then just publishing the book but you would truly be the dropout kid then.
You would probably want to change a few chapters around after that.

if you are a true entrepreneur and were successful in something please educate me, to the best of my knowledge you have not.

this is just an honest opinion I want to help you out.

BPA

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Apr 27, 2010
D.C.

Bateati we are all on a forum dedicated to becoming wealthy quickly, so getting on him for wanting to be rich, to me at least, seems ridiculous. So what if he's "all about the dollar signs"?

I completely agree that in order to become rich you need to be providing real value to people, however I disagree that providing that value must be your sole motivation. We are all in business to make money after all, aren't we? If you're sole motivation is helping people than the world could always use another doctor or non-profit director. However you're obviously here for a reason, you too want to be rich too, otherwise why post on a forum dedicated to such an endeavor?

I'm not trying to start something here I'm simply saying ease up a bit on John here, everyone deserves more than a few posts before we pass judgement on them.

C9Consulting

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jul 4, 2010
The richest man in babylon- #1 book in my library. It brings a wholly different perspective into personal finance practices. The way it does, is by using nondescript stories to explain what some people believe to be complex financial strategies.

Brilliancy in word form.

A

Anon3587x

Bateati we are all on a forum dedicated to becoming wealthy quickly, so getting on him for wanting to be rich, to me at least, seems ridiculous. So what if he's "all about the dollar signs"?

I completely agree that in order to become rich you need to be providing real value to people, however I disagree that providing that value must be your sole motivation. We are all in business to make money after all, aren't we? If you're sole motivation is helping people than the world could always use another doctor or non-profit director. However you're obviously here for a reason, you too want to be rich too, otherwise why post on a forum dedicated to such an endeavor?

I'm not trying to start something here I'm simply saying ease up a bit on John here, everyone deserves more than a few posts before we pass judgement on them.

There is no getting wealthy without true value unless you become some cheesy salesman scan artist.

The higher the value, the more wealthy you become. I'm sure its safe to say that is a fact.

By being dedicated in providing higher value you are you being dedicated to making more money.

I think if your all about the money you can only get so far, you will plateau .

I am not on this forum to get rich quickly. I am on this forum to provide opportunity for myself and others. I could make 10,000.00$ a month semi-passively and be VERY happy. I'd be able to travel the world and do whatever I wanted to do.

I just want to get myself to that level where I'm successful and completely on my own and free. I don't really care if I'm rich or not at that point. It's about what that success will allow me to do. Not what I can buy.

I guess I was just showing tough love in my last post. If somebody on this forum seen problems with any of my ideas I'd really appreciate the tough criticism so I could get my mind right.

By sticking with the whole social stigma that its rude to disagree with someone you are hurting them in the long run. They may of missed the prospective you can help them see.

But to answer his first question my favorite book was the Harry Potter series. I read them as they came out.

• Banned

thedropoutkid

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
There is no getting wealthy without true value unless you become some cheesy salesman scan artist.

The higher the value, the more wealthy you become. I'm sure its safe to say that is a fact.

By being dedicated in providing higher value you are you being dedicated to making more money.

I am not on this forum to get rich quickly. I am on this forum to provide opportunity for myself and others. I could make 10,000.00$ a month semi-passively and be VERY happy. I'd be able to travel the world and do whatever I wanted to do.

I just want to get myself to that level where I'm successful and completely on my own and free. I don't really care if I'm rich or not at that point. It's about what that success will allow me to do. Not what I can buy.

I guess I was just showing tough love in my last post. If somebody on this forum seen problems with any of my ideas I'd really appreciate the tough criticism so I could get my mind right.

By sticking with the whole social stigma that its rude to disagree with someone you are hurting them in the long run. They may of missed the prospective you can help them see.

But to answer his first question my favorite book was the Harry Potter series. I read them as they came out.

I love the Harry Potter Series. Whats your favorite book. It is the Sorcerer's stone or??

A

Anon3587x

It's been awhile since I read them so I couldn't say for sure.
I'd say as a whole I just enjoyed it.
I read a few chapters from the half blood prince the other week just so I could see what was it about J.K Rowling that made her writing style so awesome.
She has a way of really describing the environment her characters are in giving real unique descriptions about everything.

thedropoutkid

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
It's been awhile since I read them so I couldn't say for sure.
I'd say as a whole I just enjoyed it.
I read a few chapters from the half blood prince the other week just so I could see what was it about J.K Rowling that made her writing style so awesome.
She has a way of really describing the environment her characters are in giving real unique descriptions about everything.
Yeah your right? I haven't read any of the books, but i saw the movies. Which one do you think is better? Book or movie?

Elijah_MM_Sapko

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 2, 2010
South Florida
Rich Dad, Poor Dad

The 5 Things a Millionaire Taught Me

The Ten Roads to Riches

Why We Want YOU to be Rich

Whatever your reason is to go after money
or making money...you need to be educated,
you need to sacrifice time and study up on
what you're getting into. You need to know
and learn more and more. Some are driven by
the green in their veins, some are driven by
changing the world. Some it comes naturally
and both are accomplished. Whatever you strive
to do, set out to do it with the right mind set
and the right set of tools.

P.S I hate harry potter:smxF:

A

Anon3587x

Rich Dad, Poor Dad

The 5 Things a Millionaire Taught Me

The Ten Roads to Riches

Why We Want YOU to be Rich

Whatever your reason is to go after money
or making money...you need to be educated,
you need to sacrifice time and study up on
what you're getting into. You need to know
and learn more and more. Some are driven by
the green in their veins, some are driven by
changing the world. Some it comes naturally
and both are accomplished. Whatever you strive
to do, set out to do it with the right mind set
and the right set of tools.

P.S I hate harry potter:smxF:

He is going to hex your a$$ for saying that :p

The books are better.

I don't think many movies have been made that are better then the books.

BPA

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Apr 27, 2010
D.C.

I can give countless examples of people that are extremely wealthy and got there because that was their aim.

In the interest of brevity though I will stick with just one, Felix Dennis. Author of How to Get Rich, Dennis is a publishing magnate worth somewhere between 500 million and 1 billion dollars. In his book, one point he made stuck with me, when he was a teenager his girlfriend's mother asked him what he wanted to do in life, he answered her simply with "I am going to be rich". He did not care which vehicle got him there or how he would do it, his one aim was to become wealthy. He managed to accomplish this through publishing many magazines and newsletters, something he admits he simply fell into and decided to stick with it because he happened to be successful. No where in his book does he say that his goal was and is anything but to acquire more wealth.

Now do I agree with Mr. Dennis's position? As a matter of fact I don't. But did it work, and work extremely well? Yes, I would not consider a net worth approaching a billion dollars anything but excellent success and certainly not a plateau.

My favorite book is A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. I try to read it at least once a year.

A

Anon3587x

I think your missing the point that even though his aim was only to get rich.
He did it buy providing value even still.

No one would of bought the magazines if it was full of complete garbage and poor written articles.

He acquired that net worth by doing a ton of research making sure to publish relevant information within his magazines making sure to target his projected customers.

He used to own Maxim I believe which has had some HUGE celebrity's on the cover such as Megan Fox etc. . .

My point of all this was if he printed 10,000 magazines full of crap and some unknown model on the cover who was just decent looking. Who would of bought it? Not many people because it did not have much value.

My sole purpose in life could be to be rich. I could sell underwear in which I would absolutely hate. But if I was just looking to make money I wouldn't care. I'm still providing value to people.

If I came out with some revolutionary undies that would keep your balls from sweating I'd be providing even more value making more money. If I focused on making a better line of undies I'd be increasing there value thus increasing my wealth.

Even though I hate doing it and I'm just in it for money, I'm still increasing its value for money.

If I was in it for the money and did not care to increase the undies value eventually people would be bored with my product and move on to better things because my competitors would of came out with the same undies but with added value.

I have plateaued and I am out of business because I stopped focusing on value.

G

Guest3722A

Think and Grow Rich is mine too. But my interpretation of it isn't necessarily geared towards money whereas I see it as whatever the reader believes himself to want to succeed in.

To see what I mean, here's a list of Napoleon Hill (author) quotes:

Napoleon Hill Quotes

Also, Think and Grow Rich is the one book where I find several authors of other books actually giving credit to the book in their publications.

Other books that I really like are:

Trading in the Zone by Mark Douglas because it gets down to the root of a trader's psychology and helps to break hang-ups that traders encounter.

And anything from Jack Schwager's 'Market Wizards' series because he interviews top trader's, learning their histories with trading from things all the way from one trader who lost over half a million of his parent's money and his supportive mother's simple reply of basically saying go make it back, as well as discussions of several trading strategies with systems like where one guy thinks of his strategy like being like a jelly fish just floating in the water waiting to go whichever way the current takes him to another trader who buys and sells the same instrument in different international exchanges taking advantage of pricing discrepancies. And the last thing I really liked from these books was the interview with one of the greatest traders in the world Steve Cohen (billionaire) and his use of an Olympic psychologist who trains Cohen's trader group to believe and achieve making obscene amounts of money beyond what they ever could have imagined. Good stuff.

BPA

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Apr 27, 2010
D.C.
I think your missing the point that even though his aim was only to get rich.
He did it buy providing value even still.

No one would of bought the magazines if it was full of complete garbage and poor written articles.

He acquired that net worth by doing a ton of research making sure to publish relevant information within his magazines making sure to target his projected customers.

He used to own Maxim I believe which has had some HUGE celebrity's on the cover such as Megan Fox etc. . .

My point of all this was if he printed 10,000 magazines full of crap and some unknown model on the cover who was just decent looking. Who would of bought it? Not many people because it did not have much value.

My sole purpose in life could be to be rich. I could sell underwear in which I would absolutely hate. But if I was just looking to make money I wouldn't care. I'm still providing value to people.

If I came out with some revolutionary undies that would keep your balls from sweating I'd be providing even more value making more money. If I focused on making a better line of undies I'd be increasing there value thus increasing my wealth.

Even though I hate doing it and I'm just in it for money, I'm still increasing its value for money.

If I was in it for the money and did not care to increase the undies value eventually people would be bored with my product and move on to better things because my competitors would of came out with the same undies but with added value.

I have plateaued and I am out of business because I stopped focusing on value.

Actually I think you're missing my point. You stated that the goal of any venture needs to be first and foremost to provide value, where that simply is not the case. Value is simply another building block in the pyramid of wealth, with wealth being the true end goal.

A

Anon3587x

I was going to just ignore that last post of yours but I feel I would be doing you a dis-service if I let you go along with that ideology.

You need to re-read these forums and re-evaluate that train of thought BPA.

When you focus solely on just making money people tend to try and rush things and start businesses that are incomplete or unfinished because they lost track of what matters. Value

Value=money
the more valuable the more money

100% value=100% return with the right model

50% Value=possible loss of money, no one wants a crappy product or service.

Why is a house worth 100k$?
Because that is what the appraiser values it at

Why does someone charge you 10 dollars to mow your lawn? that is how much think they there time and service is valued at.

Many people on this forum with that millionaire tag will tell you the same thing. Read there posts and they repeatedly mention what I'm telling you.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
I think the argument is moot since both are at different levels.

Here is how it works in a lot of cases:

Scenario 1 -

A) I want to be rich

B) How can I be rich?

C) I need to provide people with something valuable

D) Decide what is valuable, create plan, and execute

E) Due to my valuable product/service I am now rich... yippy!

As you can see in most cases people want to be rich. It is those who UNDERSTAND value and EXECUTE who are successful.

Now of course there is this scenario:

A) I love the game of baseball and am very good at it

B) Whoa, someone wants me to move to Boston and play for the majors

C) Holy crap, I just got paid a crap load and am now rich... lol

A

Anon3587x

I think the argument is moot since both are at different levels.

Here is how it works in a lot of cases:

Scenario 1 -

A) I want to be rich

B) How can I be rich?

C) I need to provide people with something valuable

D) Decide what is valuable, create plan, and execute

E) Due to my valuable product/service I am now rich... yippy!

As you can see in most cases people want to be rich. It is those who UNDERSTAND value and EXECUTE who are successful.

Now of course there is this scenario:

A) I love the game of baseball and am very good at it

B) Whoa, someone wants me to move to Boston and play for the majors

C) Holy crap, I just got paid a crap load and am now rich... lol

Even in your second scenario the value is the player is VERY good at baseball. Capable of playing at a level only few can do.

He is paid for his talent.

His talent is his value.

If he gets hurt he can no longer play therefore no longer gets paid, his value is gone.

Unless at least he decides to coach.

His value then is his baseball experience.

BPA

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Apr 27, 2010
D.C.
I was going to just ignore that last post of yours but I feel I would be doing you a dis-service if I let you go along with that ideology.

You need to re-read these forums and re-evaluate that train of thought BPA.

When you focus solely on just making money people tend to try and rush things and start businesses that are incomplete or unfinished because they lost track of what matters. Value

Value=money
the more valuable the more money

100% value=100% return with the right model

50% Value=possible loss of money, no one wants a crappy product or service.

Why is a house worth 100k$?
Because that is what the appraiser values it at

Why does someone charge you 10 dollars to mow your lawn? that is how much think they there time and service is valued at.

Many people on this forum with that millionaire tag will tell you the same thing. Read there posts and they repeatedly mention what I'm telling you.

If you feel this strongly about this please feel free to pm me, we can discuss it further without cluttering up this thread.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
I don't have a favorite book. I do like mixing topics to get a good solid foundation.

I read books that are about our founding fathers. I read about the Civil War. I like history. I read about how to achieve wealth. I read about how to improve myself and become a better individual.

thedropoutkid

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Thank you guys for all your replys. Book are too the brain as water is t soil. Never stop fertilizing your ground. For the mind is where everything begins.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bateati is spot on in this thread. The more value you provide, the richer you become. If you want to be rich, you have to provide value. If you refuse to provide value, you will have to get rich by subterfuge (scams, unscrupulous marketing, false advertising etc.) ... so if you find yourself sitting around saying "I want to be rich" ultimately, you will have to drill down into the real essence of "Getting Rich" and that my friends IS VALUE, or put another way, NEED SOLVING.

Most entrepreneurs FAIL and will continue to FAIL because they fail to see the connection ... sure they want to be rich, but they fail to see that value needs to be present and introduced to thousands, if not millions. Felix Dennis might have wanted to "be filthy rich" and ultimately to do so, he had to present his value equation to the masses successfully ... which he did.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
Speaking of Felix Dennis, I just started his book 'How to Get Rich'

I love his humor!! :tiphat:

moop

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jun 1, 2010
I'm assuming you mean favorite financial/business book?

My favorite is the first financial book I ever read: 'How I Made 2,000,000 in the Stock Market' by Nicolas Darvas. A terrific engrossing book written by an early technical trader.

A

Anon3587x

Most entrepreneurs FAIL and will continue to FAIL because they fail to see the connection ... sure they want to be rich, but they fail to see that value needs to be present and introduced to thousands, if not millions. Felix Dennis might have wanted to "be filthy rich" and ultimately to do so, he had to present his value equation to the masses successfully ... which he did.

So you mean marketing and advertising your service/product is just as important as the value.

That makes great sense to me. I was thinking about this during my search for a new internet provider today but the thought was a bit shaky, I feel the dots are connected now.

I opened up the yellow pages and thought to myself if these internet providers hadn't had there business's published in the book I never would of known they existed. Maybe I was settling for a crappy service because the better service was not being advertised as good as the bad ones.

Advertising could make a inferior product seem superior. I think I need to dedicate the next few days reading up on marketing and advertising.

Hoping your business goes viral by itself is not my idea of good business.

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now
I read a lot but one book that I read and reread is the Bible. Not to get off topic and make this a religious response, but this book outlines basic behaviors for people, to spend and invest money, how to handle dealing with familiy and business associates, treat your family, and possibly my favorite section, to not blend in with the crowd.

This last part I mentioned to not to conform to the latest trends, fashions of the day (see Romans 12:2), sets what we on the Fastlane try to do. To me this speaks about making change in your life, and not following the latest fashions, trends, but to really go forward and use your mind to make the best decisions, ethically and morally.

Tom

Kate Foster

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 9, 2010
Definetely "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill and maybe "The Richest Man in Babylon". But most recent one is "The Only Truth" by James Marcuse, try this one.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC

I feel that if providing value is #1 in importance, #2 has to be getting your name/service out there. I am always amazed by the number of companies that, if I never read publications like Entrepreneur or Inc.com, I would have never heard about, even though they are considered some of the top in their field or have attracted millions in funding and sales.

Which leads to another important point - doing whatever it is better than your competition. There are duplicates for almost every single business out there. There were dozens of search engines already in existence before Google was invented. In fact, it is possible that a search engine was better than Google. But Google was able to not only provide a superior product as compared to the competition, they were able to attract enough investors to afford quality advertising and growth strategies - giving them a competative advantage.

I know that there are numerous online stores that sell survival gear. I know that major retailers sell survival gear that I sell, at a lower cost than I can afford. I also know that I will succeed at beating my competition because I will provide better value than my competators when it comes to visiting my site (leading to higher conversions), I will provide outstanding post-sale customer service, I will develop my customers as my greatest marketers, and I will utilize a strong public relations campaign to build my brand.

Being in the emergency management/preparedness field for 5+ years now, and never having heard about my competition before I decided to start my own store, means that they havn't saturated the market with their brand, leaving space for me to fill that gap.

I don't care if the other team knows what play I am going to run - I am still going to execute better than they can defend against it.

(cathartic rant over :) )

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.