The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Whats the best Major/Minor for College?

Ramon Becker

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Dec 9, 2015
Southern Indiana
Hello, I am about a year away from going to college and am not sure what i should do for a major/minor. I am interested in running my own business. Though I am also thinking about possibly becoming an attorney. So I am considering law school and am wondering what would best fit me for a major/ minor. Should I even go to college or take the risk of starting up a business? If i do go to college I am seriously considering community college since the funds are not there for me use. Before I had only seen college if I were to get an Athletic Scholarship. Though some people have told me that community college is the way to go. Though I know absolutely Law School will be costly and taking me in debt on top of community college. I fear of running the risk of being way in debt since everything i have ever gotten was paid in cash since I do not like to owe money to others. Any Thoughts? Advice? I would prefer to acquire a great mentor that can help guide me on the right direction and show me the ropes on how things should be done. However thanks for taking the time to read this please give me advice if you have any.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
Hello, I am about a year away from going to college and am not sure what i should do for a major/minor. I am interested in running my own business. Though I am also thinking about possibly becoming an attorney. So I am considering law school and am wondering what would best fit me for a major/ minor. Should I even go to college or take the risk of starting up a business? If i do go to college I am seriously considering community college since the funds are not there for me use. Before I had only seen college if I were to get an Athletic Scholarship. Though some people have told me that community college is the way to go. Though I know absolutely Law School will be costly and taking me in debt on top of community college. I fear of running the risk of being way in debt since everything i have ever gotten was paid in cash since I do not like to owe money to others. Any Thoughts? Advice? I would prefer to acquire a great mentor that can help guide me on the right direction and show me the ropes on how things should be done. However thanks for taking the time to read this please give me advice if you have any.

These are two massively different directions. You'll never be happy if you follow the advice of some random guy on the internet telling you what to do. You gotta look inside yourself and find what YOU want to do, regardless of what anyone else says. But I'll put in my opinions of the two.

Business route is going to be a struggle starting up, you'll never have enough money to be where you want to be, you'll struggle in sales until you get your marketing right. In general, you'll fail a lot. You will struggle financially for a while, but if you find success 8 years down the road or however long, you can eventually sell your business, put that money into a money system and live a nice life of leisure off that money.

Law school makes me tired just saying it. You are literally going to spend 6 years memorizing some of the most boring shit on the planet and racking up a massive debt. You will study a lot and lose a large amount of your 20s. From there, you'll work 80 hours a week and lose your life, but have a decent amount of money. I'd only suggest doing this route if you truly have a passion for helping ppl out of sticky situations, but if you want to have a family it will jeopardize that. Your kids will grow up without you around much and I don't see you paying off your debt and then saving enough money to retire for 20-30 years if you live frugally.

Do more research, you have more than a year to figure things out, best of luck to you.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
If you want to know which college majors get the best salaries out of the gate, that information is easily available.

If you want to know which majors prepare you for law, that information is also out there.

There is nothing more sidewalk than asking strangers to answer major life questions for you.

Spend more time thinking for yourself and less time listening to others.

That is fastlane.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
Last edited:

AllenCrawley