The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What to do with 100k

Anything related to investing, including crypto

Mark000

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 10, 2015
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and like what I've seen here so far so I want to come up with a question aimed at the more experienced members here and describe my situation.

Until this year I ran a good going eBay business, selling services and other things which over the years generated earings of about 100k which I have now available for further investments. I guess around 10-15k will need to be paid as tax during the year, the rest is basically dead money in the moment.

The problem about my eBay business is that first it is not really scalable but instead rather the opposite and after I lost one of my suppliers who mainly was resposible for my profit a few months ago my earinngs droped to a very low amount.
What I want to say with this is that this business is nothing that could be done forever and in the moment only is a side job that I want to abandon for some new projects and investments.

In this context I want to ask for advices in which direction I should go given that I have around 100k earnings available now.

I have to say that I don't have any knowledge of stocks and also not in estate business what I regret a little bit. I didn't start to build some knowledge in this field as I guess it is too much effort starting from zero without any experience if there isn't any basic experience given and tht it is too risky in this case.

I however have a little time now and will do a big trip through USA next month where I also will have time to read and think about which direction I should go. If somebody should have some recommendation about books that might help in my situation such an advice would also be appreciated.

Basically I want to find something where I could put my whole power in and which in this case will give me something back. I had a few business within the last years which didn't work out well and which only had been a waste of time so I became quite careful with investing time and money. I could imagine beginning something completely new like getting into real estates business but this should make some sense then especially when comming from a totally different background.

Thanks very much in advance and I hope to get a little input from maybe somebody who had been in the same situation and knows how to makes something out of the mentioned amount.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I'd pour 50k of that into an Amazon FBA business.. and sit on the other 50k. Cashflow is what you need right now..

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
Just stick with the ebay thing. do the whole amazon by fulfillment too. then try to switch everything over to your own eCommerce site. keep branching out and growing.

the start is always the hardest and you were nailing it, so keep at it.

GreatestManEver

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Dec 19, 2014
NYC
IMO it's better to keep the money in a bank account and loose a percentage to inflation, then to put it in the stock market which you said you don't know a lot about, because there is a chance you will loose a lot of it there, if you don't know what your doing.
The best thing to do with money, is use it to make more money, so ask you self how can I take this 100k and make it 150k, 200k and so on. Keep learning, keep researching, keep thinking.
How well do you understand the market your in right now, is there more things you can do, to make more money, why not try to contact the top 100 experts in your field and ask them for advice, with out giving up anything that can hurt your business, or watch them to see what they are doing.
If your looking for some book recommendations.
read The Millionaire Fastlane , good entrepreneur book.
you could also check out these 2 from my to read list, that I'm looking forward to reading.
read - ready fire aim - Michael Masterson
read - Bold - peter H Diamandis

jpmartin

Jedi Master
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 7, 2013
First, don't tell people you have 100K - there are plenty of financial pirates willing to help you part with your money. There's a saying... when a person with experience meets a person with money, the person with money get's experience and the person with money get's experience!

You could start by educating yourself, invest in yourself - for that you don't need 100K, not even 10K - since you asked for some good books, check this out.

Just a second thought, since you have experience running a business - why don't you try your hand at angel investing = say 20K in each company, that's 5 companies you can invest in - again not enough, you should probably do 20 companies to get good at it - but it's a thought.

Vansita

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Feb 21, 2015
If I had 100k sitting around right now, I'd buy a property for 45k or so in a developing area that is close to the city, but not there yet-and rent it off after having it renovated, the other 45k (because you're paying 10k in taxes) I'd suggest invest 25k back into your amazon business, as it's not gone yet, and with the other 10k, do some research for where you could fit into for your next venture.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
What works for me:

Step 1: Find someone who knows how to run paid traffic and has profitable campaigns, minimum 200% ROI.
Step 2: Do a JV with them for passive role, you put up $, their campaign and you split profits.
Step 3: Profit $$$.

Not for everyone but I enjoy these :)

Caveats: Must be trustworthy and have a stirling reputation.
Use BS meter questions liberally.
Keep all tracking and results transparent.
person who puts up the $ gets the payments/first.

Option #2

Travel the world.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
50k in a safe investment (let's say, 5% ), and 50k in a less-safe investment (I'd put it all in P2P loans, 15% expected return)

Now you have an infinite monthly cashflow of 800$ to 1250$. Use it and your time to fund your venture. You don't need to pour 30-40k into something, you need time and resilience.

Kingsta

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Dec 6, 2014
Not sure what you country you live in but in the UK we have ISA (similar to a savings account) that you can put up to 15K in to sit and earn interest tax free...that would be something to keep your money in rather than a normal bank account where you would lose money due to inflation. The rest 85K you could use to invest into houses or another business.

Glorydog

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 8, 2015
Northwest Arkansas
I'd say put your money in a savings account until you find a definite answer on your own. Nobody here knows your skills or strengths and therefore cannot give you good advice, just advice as to what we would do.

How old are you? If you're fairly young, like I am, I would look into multi unit properties. Find the thread on this forum about living rent free. With this method, you could put up a smaller amount of money and get a loan on the rest of the property to be paid overtime. This will create passive income and should prove to be helpful. However, this is slowlane unless you scale it really big.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
You're experience selling on Ebay so here's what i'd do:

1. Subscribe to Terapeak.
2. Use it to find good/best selling products on Ebay.
3. Find either similiar products or the same product but of higher quality for example.
4. Locate Suppliers.
5. Purchase, sell & Repeat.
6. Then roll the same products out on Amazon. Worldwide if applicable.

I used the above technique to find 1 product that i now buy for $2 and sell for over $20. I launched it 2 months ago and i've made approx $7500.00.
Find another 10 products like that and you're well on your way. You've got the capital to purchase a lot of product. Just do the research first.

Glorydog

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 8, 2015
Northwest Arkansas
You're experience selling on Ebay so here's what i'd do:

1. Subscribe to Terapeak.
2. Use it to find good/best selling products on Ebay.
3. Find either similiar products or the same product but of higher quality for example.
4. Locate Suppliers.
5. Purchase, sell & Repeat.
6. Then roll the same products out on Amazon. Worldwide if applicable.

I used the above technique to find 1 product that i now buy for $2 and sell for over $20. I launched it 2 months ago and i've made approx $7500.00.
Find another 10 products like that and you're well on your way. You've got the capital to purchase a lot of product. Just do the research first.
Sorry to go a little off topic, but is Terapeak really THAT insightful? I was considering subscribing.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Sorry to go a little off topic, but is Terapeak really THAT insightful? I was considering subscribing.
The information is very accurate as Terapeak is owned by EBay. I check it regularly for my own account sales and it's certainly correct.

Obviously if you bring a product to market first then it's always better but there's a lot of money to be made by finding products that customers already desire and are selling well and add a twist too or improve it in someway. Terapeak provides you with that information. It's not as good for Amazon though.

Glorydog

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 8, 2015
Northwest Arkansas
The information is very accurate as Terapeak is owned by EBay. I check it regularly for my own account sales and it's certainly correct.

Obviously if you bring a product to market first then it's always better but there's a lot of money to be made by finding products that customers already desire and are selling well and add a twist too or improve it in someway. Terapeak provides you with that information. It's not as good for Amazon though.
Right. Thanks for your insight.

Weaponize

Workin on it!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Nov 15, 2014
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and like what I've seen here so far so I want to come up with a question aimed at the more experienced members here and describe my situation.

Until this year I ran a good going eBay business, selling services and other things which over the years generated earings of about 100k which I have now available for further investments. I guess around 10-15k will need to be paid as tax during the year, the rest is basically dead money in the moment.

The problem about my eBay business is that first it is not really scalable but instead rather the opposite and after I lost one of my suppliers who mainly was resposible for my profit a few months ago my earinngs droped to a very low amount.
What I want to say with this is that this business is nothing that could be done forever and in the moment only is a side job that I want to abandon for some new projects and investments.

In this context I want to ask for advices in which direction I should go given that I have around 100k earnings available now.

I have to say that I don't have any knowledge of stocks and also not in estate business what I regret a little bit. I didn't start to build some knowledge in this field as I guess it is too much effort starting from zero without any experience if there isn't any basic experience given and tht it is too risky in this case.

I however have a little time now and will do a big trip through USA next month where I also will have time to read and think about which direction I should go. If somebody should have some recommendation about books that might help in my situation such an advice would also be appreciated.

Basically I want to find something where I could put my whole power in and which in this case will give me something back. I had a few business within the last years which didn't work out well and which only had been a waste of time so I became quite careful with investing time and money. I could imagine beginning something completely new like getting into real estates business but this should make some sense then especially when comming from a totally different background.

Thanks very much in advance and I hope to get a little input from maybe somebody who had been in the same situation and knows how to makes something out of the mentioned amount.

$85k (after your $15k of taxes) dumped into an investment returning 5% get's you $4,250/month in passive income. Live off of the interest (don't touch the principle) and have fun starting up something new without the worry of "how the F*ck am I going to pay the rent this month!?"

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Intriguing answer. Can you give any examples of types of investment whereby you can get that sort of return? You've got me excited haha.

Weaponize

Workin on it!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Nov 15, 2014
Intriguing answer. Can you give any examples of types of investment whereby you can get that sort of return? You've got me excited haha.

I can't give you any examples, unfortunately.

TMF book talks about this a bit and I'm just a bit supporter of that idea. Also, Kevin O'Leary (from SharkTank) is a big fan of the "living of off the interest and never touching the principle" concept. His mother taught him that idea and it's supposedly how he lives...

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
$85k (after your $15k of taxes) dumped into an investment returning 5% get's you $4,250/month in passive income. Live off of the interest (don't touch the principle) and have fun starting up something new without the worry of "how the F*ck am I going to pay the rent this month!?"
Unfortunately 5% p.a. would be $354 per month.
Unless you live in 3rd world country it will be hard to live of $354 per month comfortably. ;)

Weaponize

Workin on it!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Nov 15, 2014
Unfortunately 5% p.a. would be $354 per month.
Unless you live in 3rd world country it will be hard to live of $354 per month comfortably. ;)

Yea you're right I calculated it wrong. Thanks for correcting that. Though it wouldn't be paying rent, it's still free cash flow every month.

"Michael: I must have put a decimal point in the wrong place or something. Shit, I always do that. I always mess up some mundane detail. Peter: Oh! Well, this is not a mundane detail, Michael!"

Dan44

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 9, 2015

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
Hi,

You should not be lending when rates are low, you should be borrowing and leveraging your cash.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.