The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What is your copywriting process?

Blhhi

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 23, 2014
I'm working on a landing page for an e-book I'd like to write (nonfiction), but I'm not very well-practiced in copywriting. I read Tested Advertising Methods and took some good notes. Generally I like to come up with multiple variations of a headline and the body, and then choose from the pool later, once I've taken my mind off of it. Still, I'm having a hard time picking things out.

Any copywriting guys interested in sharing a bit of their process?

Specifically, I'm writing a book for intermediate Japanese learners. A couple (of the many) headlines I've come up with since last night:

Take the shortcut to fluency.

Do you make these mistakes in Japanese?

Are you making these mistakes in Japanese?

Japanese Learners Always Make These Mistakes

These tips helped me become fluent in Japanese

Finally a book that touches these topics in Japanese

Any input? Be brutal if you want.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
Very plain headlines. Sounds like everyone else out there. What about making a statement instead?

"This is how you lay the c*ck smack down on the japanese language."

Or something like that.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
My first question in writing for sales (not typically copy, but is related)

Is customer
Then angle
Then optimisation

Your customer will be influenced by the style of layout, style of communication, efficiency of the lessons and relevancy

The angle is about how you manage that chaos without screwing your customers out of the idea.
So I'll focus on
- simple customer outlook
- top/high probability issues
- a few sample variations on lesson types

Then to optimise I will try to change the look of the work to "appear" aesthetic, like, do all the titles click, does the original premise mesh with the content, are all components being addressed or is a third of the book that should be there missing?

Its actually a very annoying reiterative process.
And my tip is to HIT HARD FIRST, don't get analytical on first pass, but neither write the whole plan in one stretch. Just take a good dozen or two BIG SWINGS at it at different times to see what you got.

I agree though that your titles seem a bit banal.
Research your competition.

I just searched amazon
"Proven techniques for students and professionals: Japanese from zero"
"Learn Japanese in 7 days: Crash course to learning the basics"
"Read Japanese today: the easy way to learn 400 practical kanji"

First instinct is to sh#t on these titles, but don't you dare.
You have examples of success, use them to see where you are going wrong.
You are permissive, and not making clear value statements.

Instead of "would you perhaps maybe think of making less mistakes" say "LESS MISTAKES" or even better "FLAWLESS", cuz you have to make a clear demonstration that you are not a dithering idiot and give them something they want to entertain.

From there the book has to be well set up.

Last edited:

davedev

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
Jun 3, 2013
Florida
I'm working on a landing page for an e-book I'd like to write (nonfiction), but I'm not very well-practiced in copywriting. I read Tested Advertising Methods and took some good notes. Generally I like to come up with multiple variations of a headline and the body, and then choose from the pool later, once I've taken my mind off of it. Still, I'm having a hard time picking things out.

Specifically, I'm writing a book for intermediate Japanese learners. A couple (of the many) headlines I've come up with since last night:

Who are you selling to and what is their main concern about continuing their study of Japanese?

To venture a guess, if I was learning Japanese from some other beginner course....coasting on that for a while, and then later, I see your course. I may be concerned whether or not you're going to start with some stuff I already know -- or start too far ahead of what I already know.

I guess what I'm saying is "what is basic", and "what is intermediate"?

Also

What's the 'endgame' for a guy or gal looking to beef up their study of Japanese? What main lines of work are they in? Are they hobbyists simply wanting to read manga or whatnot in the original language, or are they international business consultants, or lifestyle entrepreneurs looking to experience the Japanese culture ever more deeply?

Approach your customer avatars from the endgame that they wish to achieve, communicate the value quickly so your product becomes a bridge that connects them to their dreams.

Also

What country does the target market of this ebook reside? (assuming USA because the world revolves around 'Merica)

Just some thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blhhi

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 23, 2014
Thanks for the replies. I'll work on less salesy headlines. I didn't think they were so bad, but I can see how they sound like every other ad. I don't think I'll be referencing cock smacking, though. Maybe somewhere between where I am and that.

As for thoughts on content of the book or the body of text after the headline, I'll keep all that stuff in mind. Thanks for the input. Right now I'm focused on the headline, though. Honestly, I want to generate clickbait. Once people have the impulse to see what I'm selling, they can decide to buy or not buy on their own. But priority #1 is getting them to have to make that decision in the first place.

dochustle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 1, 2012
Sunnyvale, California
I personally like the "AIDA" formula:

A = Attention: To get your reader to read everything else you wrote, you have to capture their attention early

I = Interest: Once you have their attention, you have to provide fresh and interesting information to your reader to keep them engaged (tell a story, talk about the problem your're solving, etc.) Once their interested, it's time to really sell them....

D = Desire: Pound the benefits. Use real facts and figures. Back things up with social proof. Use testimonials. Sell them on why they need to buy what your selling

A = Action: Time to close the sale. Introduce offer and try to overcome any objections. Use a guarantee and a call to action. Make it so easy for them that they don't even have to think about it.

Deon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
Test...Test...Test...

There are plugins/apps that will let you show different headlines to different people. Choose the one that is most effective

hestati

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jan 14, 2014
San Diego, Cali
These headlines are not bad, I bet people who said they are "boring" do not realize that these headlines brought in hundreds of millions in business.

There is no formula, no "sit down and get creative". It is all hard work and this is the only way to get it. And yes, test, test, test. There is no way in the world to tell which is better until you test. Tested ad methods is a great book and I would trust it before trusting any copywriter here on the forum.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
I don't think I'll be referencing cock smacking, though. Maybe somewhere between where I am and that.
Well. If you do. You will define the audience by that. Some people may get offended by that, while others will love it/love your style.

Most people though, choose the plain and boring route because they want to seem professional. And by that they doesn't stand out too much from the rest of it out there. I think the best thing is to pin it down to an audience that you define. But that's just me.

Destined

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Dec 12, 2011

Take the shortcut to fluency.

Do you make these mistakes in Japanese?

Are you making these mistakes in Japanese?

Japanese Learners Always Make These Mistakes

These tips helped me become fluent in Japanese

Finally a book that touches these topics in Japanese

Any input? Be brutal if you want.

Since, this is a landing page, not much copy is needed. you will need an awesome headline , short copy with some bullet points. First things first, what is the biggest problem your audience is having? You have to know your audience inside and out. Once you figure that out, then write a headline that offers some sort of benefit right away. A headline that offers a benefit/promise.

"Learn How To Speak Japanese In 7 days or Your Money Back!"

"Who Else Wants To Master The Language Of Japanese In 7 Days "

The great thing about landing pages these days, is that many simply just use a nice headline and slap on a video and they are set. The video, has to connect with the audience.

Good Luck!

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
The problem with copying headlines from the 50s is the change in the trends/tastes & fashion of your customer

The desire is the same, and will remain the same, as long as your customer's core desires, but the way to portray desire is different, and this is where understanding your market is everything. The words 'Shocking Truth About...' do not carry the same weight they once did. A 'No questions asked 30 day money back guarantee' used to be a sign of a remarkable company, now it is almost a requirement. The previous examples are not obsolete by any stretch of the imagination, but they don't stand out either. Don't be a follower.

I fear that you may have slightly misunderstood copywriting. Copywriting is not 'something that comes from within' and influences your customers, copywriting is merely a byproduct, a result of understanding your target market and catering to their wants, needs and traits.

Let me give you an example of 'understanding the market.'

'I am Formless. I am 20 years old. I am a Japanese learner. I hate having to memorize shopping lists of vocabulary. I'm a pretty cynical person and don't buy from door to door salesmen. I spend a lot of time on the computer. I know the odd phrase here and there, and can say the basic 'hellos and how are yous' I can already read Hiragana and some Katakana. I know the meanings of about 400 Kanji, but I don't know the kun yomi or on yomi for them. I love videogames, anime and manga. I know most of the cliches and tropes in anime and manga, as well as some stuff from Japanese films, but I also have a general interest in Japanese culture beyond that, particularly japanese history and the relationship between the Police and Yakuza. I can eat with chopsticks and have cooked a few Japanese meals before.'

There you go. That is a profile of a single person. You are unlikely to get the exact same profile for a large group of people (READ: A market) But I'm sure that EVEN ON THIS FORUM there are Japanese learners with many of the 'traits' that I have mentioned here. I didn't even mention all that much about what I like and dislike, but that sentence contains a lot of both useful, and useless information... IF I HAPPEN TO BE YOUR TARGET MARKET.

Your job? You need to become intimate with your target market. You need to 'become them' for a bit, or pay someone else to do it for you reliably. This is what it ACTUALLY means to 'niche down' once you stop money chasing 'me me me' crap, THE CUSTOMER/MARKET PROFILE IS THE CENTRE OF YOUR UNIVERSE. Once you can develop relatively clear profile of your target market - TEST copy and headlines that apply TO THAT MARKET.

I haven't really answered your question directly about the 'process' because I think it's irrelevant. With the right principles and enough testing, you will find your own anyway.

Oh and read @davedev s post. Fantastic advice.

davedev

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
Jun 3, 2013
Florida

'I am Formless. I am 20 years old. I am a Japanese learner. I hate having to memorize shopping lists of vocabulary. I'm a pretty cynical person and don't buy from door to door salesmen. I spend a lot of time on the computer. I know the odd phrase here and there, and can say the basic 'hellos and how are yous' I can already read Hiragana and some Katakana. I know the meanings of about 400 Kanji, but I don't know the kun yomi or on yomi for them. I love videogames, anime and manga. I know most of the cliches and tropes in anime and manga, as well as some stuff from Japanese films, but I also have a general interest in Japanese culture beyond that, particularly japanese history and the relationship between the Police and Yakuza. I can eat with chopsticks and have cooked a few Japanese meals before.'

What I wanted to say but 10x better. Repped.

The goal is to have a couple of 'stories' like that on hand, extract a pain-point that they all share, then WHAM, wallop them with a headline that literally leaps into their skull and joins the conversation already ongoing in their mind.

Of course you gotta test this. AND sometimes you're pleasantly surprised with 2 or 3 (or more) different avatars for a single product.... find out what channels they frequent and create multiple landing pages for each.

It can get nuts.

EDIT and EXAMPLE

http://www.snapinspect.com/

Scroll down to "Everybody loves snap inspect"

He's selling to 3 types of customer. Property Managers, Biz Owners, Property Owners. The guy reading this (hopefully) will qualify himself and only be concerned with how the product can benefit him.

How will he know?

He already has his concerns in his head (remember)...it's up to the copy to 'prove' to the guy that 'we know' what you're 'up all night worrying about' ... and demonstrate that the product can help you rest easy at night.

I still have much to learn about this, but these are a few more thoughts.

Last edited:
D

DeletedUser19

Gold. Rep transferred.

Though you can expand on that. You can go even more emotional...

You got that from "How to Write a Good Advertisement", right? :) The background attitudes behind the most common copy appeals.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.