The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What I learned from doing the 52 books in 52 weeks challenge.

For any book discussion

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Good (whatever time of the day it is where you are) fellow Fastlaners!

This year I decided to take the 52 books in 52 weeks challenge, and I have to say I'm glad I did. The knowledge it has given me has been invaluable. So what's this thread about?

First, it's not to gloat, although finishing something like this does feel pretty damn good (17 weeks early too), or to say that everyone should do it, or anything along them lines. What I want to give you is what I've learnt from doing the challenge, and how I would approach it if I were to do it again.

This challenge isn't for everyone, there is an old saying that by doing, you learn more than you would reading, but, you also learn more by reading than wasting time watching TV, or browsing social media to see what your friend had for breakfast, and not everyone can (or should) work 100% of their waking lives.

So what did you learn? I hear you ask....

Playing Catch-up

One of the main reasons I done it, was I realised I hadn't really been reading nearly enough over the past 5 years, and before that? I didn't read much of anything at all apart from blogs. I wanted to do it because I felt I was "playing catch up" to some extent. This is not a good reason to start doing the challenge though looking back on it, but if I didn't do that, then I wouldn't have got to where I am now (and wouldn't be posting this thread).

Goals
Ever completed or stuck with a new years resolution? I hadn't really up to this point, and 52 books in 52 weeks is one of the first I've followed through on. I don't intend to stop just because I've finished it either, so now it's a challenge to see how many I can read before NYE (and no, I'm going to be spending ALL my time reading, more on time and reading to follow). So, besides the fact I wanted to play catch up, it has solidified in me the belief that goal setting is something that you should do!

Finding Time to Read
One of the biggest obstacles to reading is time, "I can't find the time" etc. Utter garbage, I used to think that I was always "too busy" to read. until you take the time, to find the time. One of the things this taught me (and it was actually in one of the books I read too, which solidified the thought (The ONE Thing in case you're wondering)) that time management or time blocking is a great habbit to get into. If you can't find time to read, look at what you're doing during your day and find it! How?

• Do you spend however long watching TV? Cut it down FFS!
  • Have you got time to pick up a book to read before bed?
  • If you do any exercise on a stationary machine like a bike, can you not read while you're on it?
  • How long do you spend on the toilet? Put a book by it, or get into the habit of taking one in there with you (don't forget to wash your hands!)
  • Like sunbathing? READ too!
  • I wanted to stick to actual reading, but if you cannot read, get some audio books!
  • A tip for audio books - change the play-speed to a slightly higher one to quicken your listening.
A Tablet with Book Bazaar e-reader (windows) has also been invaluable to me, you can get a bunch of freebies from places like feedbooks, and import anything you've got in any format to it and it organizes everything into a very nice library. Cost: Free!

Get Yourself a Notebook!
I used the notebook to count off the books, and write down what I'd read so I had a physical list of everything I read, and how many more I had to go, this give me a countdown, and motivated me to finish the challenge.

Besides that, the notebook doubled as a note taking device (who'd a though it?). Ideas and the biggest thoughts from each book were jotted down, especially quotes.

"Do nothing that is of no use" Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings.

That's just one of my favourites, imagine living like that? Free book from feedbooks too btw.

I also used the notebook to jot down any business ideas I had while reading, and various other things like authors to look into more to find more books etc.

Short Reads Can Be Just As Powerful
Some of the best I read were also the shortest (also helps to complete the challenge, CHEAT!) As a Man Thinketh (mentioned here), Anthem (Ayn Rand's shortest book AFAIK), Who Move My Cheese (also mentioned here) The Dip, The Icarus Deception, Poke the Box and Tribes We Need You to Lead Us by Seth Godin, The Little Book of Talent and Growth Hacker Marketing for example are some of the most mind-opening things I read. Love Yourself like your life depends on it being another.

So what am I trying to say? You don't need to read War and Peace, Atlas Shrugged and whatever other long books you can think of to do this challenge and it be worthwhile, lots of these books took me very little time to read.

How Would I Do It Differently, and How Should You (perhaps) Do It?
Like I mentioned above (long post, I know!) I did it to play catch up, that isn't a bad reason to do it, but now I've finished, I can say that if I do it again, no, when I do it again, it will be more focused.

If you're looking for business ideas in general, then I would preach my approach to anyone looking to start somewhere. Find the best/more recommended books, pick them up and start, don't plan, just read and finish the challenge.

If you already know where you want to go, or what you want to do? Don't dare go scatter-gun! I'd suggest picking perhaps 10 general wealth/business/self help books (Think and Grow Rich, BOLD, The ONE Thing, etc.) and then doing the other 42 relating to your desired subject.

If you want to be a real estate investor, you're probably not going to need to read something like The Laptop Millionaire (not a bad book FWIW). Focus on that area of expertise instead.

Think 10 self-help/wealth/etc books + 42 on your desired subject is too focused? Chuck in a bit of fiction for fun, why not?

The other thing I would advise, is adding something health and fitness related, and maybe a cook book or 2 (not recipe books, but one's that teach you how to cook in general) or anything relating to other areas where you think your life could be improved, languages, mathematics (A Slice of Pi is a cool book!) whatever.

There's probably more I can add to this section but this post is getting huge already.

What else can the challenge do you for you?
I think it has improved my writing, although maybe you who are reading this can be the judge of that.

Blasting through 52 books has given me at least a top 10 which I will now re-read and re-read and re-read again as I see fit.

Business ideas galore now fill my notebook. I normally have a few, but when I read, they seem to just pop into my head more frequently.

Reading has improved my focus, something I used to struggle with.

All In All
This challenge has done me wonders, I'd highly recommend doing it! If you've got any questions that I haven't covered, then feel free to ask!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
So how much action did you take in those 52 weeks?

How much did your business improve?

How much did your bank account improve?

How much additional free time do you have now?

Plenty, how do you measure it? Walking into a wall is action.

Which one?

60%

More.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Im totally doing this forever. Sounds like a fantastic way to become well versed in everything you ever find yourself wanting to learn. Obviously this is not a substitute to running your business, but something that improves yourself.

Love it!

100+ Rep to OP.

Last edited:

sija1

Turning Coffee Into Code
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jun 20, 2015
Quebec, Canada
This year I decided to take the 52 books in 52 weeks challenge, and I have to say I'm glad I did. The knowledge it has given me has been invaluable.

Great post, it is inspiring. And great job sticking to that challenge!

Do you have a list off all the books you have read?

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Great post, it is inspiring. And great job sticking to that challenge!

Do you have a list off all the books you have read?

Yes I Do! Here's the list:

1. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller (I started with some Fiction.)
  2. The Prince - Nikolo Machiavelli
  3. How to Get Rich - Felix Dennis
  4. Start with Why - Simon Sinek
  5. The Book of Five Rings - Miyamoto Musashi
  6. What to Say When You Talk to Yourself - Dr Shad Helmsetter.
  7. Millionaire Fastlane (second reading) - MJ DeMarco of course.
  8. So Good They Can't Ignore You - Cal Newport
  9. Art Of Learning - Josh Watzkin
  10. The 50th Law - 50 Cent and Robert Greene
  11. Turning Pro - Steven Pressfield
  12. The War of Art - Ditto (second reading)
  13. Poke The Box - Seth Godin
  14. Little Book of Talent - Daniel Coyle
  15. The Warrior Ethos - Pressfield
  16. Do The Work - Pressfield
  17. The Authentic Swing - Pressfield
  18. The Accountant's Story - Roberto Escobar
  19. Steal Like an Artist - Actually got this book for free, which I thought was quite ironic!
  20. Trust Me I'm Lying - Ryan Holliday
  21. Growth Hacker Marketing - Ditto
  22. Million Dollar Habits - Robert Ringer
  23. To Be or Not to be intimidated - Ditto.
  24. Action - Nothing Happens until something moves - Ditto.
  25. The Power of Habit - Charles Duhigg
  26. Manage Your Day to Day - Various (It's a book in Kindle Unlimited, worth reading too)
  27. The Icarus Deception - Seth Godin
  28. Tribes - We Need You Lead Us - SG
  29. 99 Cows (free, need to read Purple Cows now) - SG
  30. All Marketers are Liars (Tell Stories) - SG
  31. The Dip - SG
  32. Placebos - SG (Another freebie)
  33. Laptop Millionaire - Mark Anastasi
  34. Cashvertising - Drew Eric Whitman
  35. Who Moved my Cheese - Spencer Johnson
  36. Wired For Story - Lisa Cron
  37. Man's Search for meaning - Victor Frankl
  38. No More Mr Nice Guy - Robert Glover
  39. Stop Stealing Dreams - Seth Godin
  40. The Way of Men - Jack Donovan
  41. Gorilla Mindset - Mike Cernovich
  42. Anthem - Ayn Rand
  43. Think and Grow Rich - Napoleon Hill
  44. Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends on it - Kamal Ravikant (cool very short book!)
  45. As a Man Thinketh - James Allen
  46. The Boron Letters - Gary Halbert (you can find them free online)
  47. Scientific Advertising - Claude Hopkins EDIT: Free Here: http://scientificadvertising.blogspot.ca/
  48. Zero to One - Peter Thiel
  49. The One Thing - Gary Keller
  50. The Adventures of Anybody - Richard Bandler
  51. Walden - Henry David Thereau
  52. Little Bets - Peter Sims
I also read a bunch of shorter books on Kindle Unlimited that I can't remember the titles of, but took notes from them too. Mostly related to habits, procrastination, and fitness etc.

Last edited:

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Something else I want to add about doing this, it applies to reading in general but doing this challenge seemed to solidify the thought in my mind.

When you read something like "Start With Why" by Simon Sinek, you might be lead to believe that Apple's reason for success is because of their "why", and that's a pretty good theory. But the more I read, Apple is mentioned loads of times in various books (being a recognized example obviously helps), and you'll see that's not just the single reason for Apple's success (although I do like the idea of the book). Because if you read Peter Thiel's Zero to One, you'll also notice that large parts of their success was due to going from Zero to One.

So, were they successful because They Started With Why, and Went from Zero to One? Both helped, but that probably isn't all there is to it...

If you read The ONE Thing, you'll also notice more about how Jobs and Wozniak got started, and how they focused on where they wanted to go.

Also, I just finished reading Little Bets, and Jobs' name crops up again, in regards to what this time? Well if you read Little Bets you'll already know, but in case you haven't; it's also because of the way Jobs goes about trying new things.

You'll also notice a lot of other things crop up, or link together in more than one book. The War of Art and many of Pressfield's books on that subject, are quite similar to Seth Godin's The Icarus Deception. Except Seth doesn't agree that there is a War of Art.

Those are just a few examples off the top of my head.

What I'm trying to say is, just reading 1 book might help you understand part of something. But by reading more, you start to find patterns, links and connections to things. A Pathway or map can built and used to improve your chances of success.

Cascade

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Nov 3, 2013
Singapore
Something else I want to add about doing this, it applies to reading in general but doing this challenge seemed to solidify the thought in my mind.

When you read something like "Start With Why" by Simon Sinek, you might be lead to believe that Apple's reason for success is because of their "why", and that's a pretty good theory. But the more I read, Apple is mentioned loads of times in various books (being a recognized example obviously helps),

What I'm trying to say is, just reading 1 book might help you understand part of something. But by reading more, you start to find patterns, links and connections to things. A Pathway or map can built and used to improve your chances of success.

Couldn't agree more

The more I read the more it seems that there is this rehashing of what was a past success.

The same can be said of failure.

Was at a seminar where one of the guest speakers was a prominent business school professor.

Found the non-stop bashing of past failure to be quite hard to sit through.

Why did Kodak fail?
Of course it was the arrogant, complacent management that refused to see the shift to digital

Why did Blackberry fail?
Of course it was the move to touch screen keyboard. Of course Steve Jobs is right to have replied a journalist who asked "What if my hands cannot get used to using a smart phone" with "Your thumbs will learn"

on and on and on

Seems all so easy to say after the event has already happened

The key and the only time all this "commentary and gossip" case analysis counts is today. Right now. In your business and my business.

Historians are damned good at making the past fit the storyline. If yesterday's darling was to collapse, so much ink will be spilt on WHO, WHAT WHY and so on. If it later rebounds and becomes a great success then ink is again spilled. Rinse and repeat.

@LifeTransformer has a good point. Read more to round out understanding. Try to link and connect. Most writers write books to sell their books, or as marketing brochure or to boost their ego.

*** I do love books and have completed the 52 book 52 week challenge ***

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
Good (whatever time of the day it is where you are) fellow Fastlaners!

This year I decided to take the 52 books in 52 weeks challenge, and I have to say I'm glad I did. The knowledge it has given me has been invaluable. So what's this thread about?

First, it's not to gloat, although finishing something like this does feel pretty damn good (17 weeks early too), or to say that everyone should do it, or anything along them lines. What I want to give you is what I've learnt from doing the challenge, and how I would approach it if I were to do it again.

This challenge isn't for everyone, there is an old saying that by doing, you learn more than you would reading, but, you also learn more by reading than wasting time watching TV, or browsing social media to see what your friend had for breakfast, and not everyone can (or should) work 100% of their waking lives.

So what did you learn? I hear you ask....

Playing Catch-up

One of the main reasons I done it, was I realised I hadn't really been reading nearly enough over the past 5 years, and before that? I didn't read much of anything at all apart from blogs. I wanted to do it because I felt I was "playing catch up" to some extent. This is not a good reason to start doing the challenge though looking back on it, but if I didn't do that, then I wouldn't have got to where I am now (and wouldn't be posting this thread).

Goals
Ever completed or stuck with a new years resolution? I hadn't really up to this point, and 52 books in 52 weeks is one of the first I've followed through on. I don't intend to stop just because I've finished it either, so now it's a challenge to see how many I can read before NYE (and no, I'm going to be spending ALL my time reading, more on time and reading to follow). So, besides the fact I wanted to play catch up, it has solidified in me the belief that goal setting is something that you should do!

Finding Time to Read
One of the biggest obstacles to reading is time, "I can't find the time" etc. Utter garbage, I used to think that I was always "too busy" to read. until you take the time, to find the time. One of the things this taught me (and it was actually in one of the books I read too, which solidified the thought (The ONE Thing in case you're wondering)) that time management or time blocking is a great habbit to get into. If you can't find time to read, look at what you're doing during your day and find it! How?

• Do you spend however long watching TV? Cut it down FFS!
  • Have you got time to pick up a book to read before bed?
  • If you do any exercise on a stationary machine like a bike, can you not read while you're on it?
  • How long do you spend on the toilet? Put a book by it, or get into the habit of taking one in there with you (don't forget to wash your hands!)
  • Like sunbathing? READ too!
  • I wanted to stick to actual reading, but if you cannot read, get some audio books!
  • A tip for audio books - change the play-speed to a slightly higher one to quicken your listening.
A Tablet with Book Bazaar e-reader (windows) has also been invaluable to me, you can get a bunch of freebies from places like feedbooks, and import anything you've got in any format to it and it organizes everything into a very nice library. Cost: Free!

Get Yourself a Notebook!
I used the notebook to count off the books, and write down what I'd read so I had a physical list of everything I read, and how many more I had to go, this give me a countdown, and motivated me to finish the challenge.

Besides that, the notebook doubled as a note taking device (who'd a though it?). Ideas and the biggest thoughts from each book were jotted down, especially quotes.

"Do nothing that is of no use" Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings.

That's just one of my favourites, imagine living like that? Free book from feedbooks too btw.

I also used the notebook to jot down any business ideas I had while reading, and various other things like authors to look into more to find more books etc.

Short Reads Can Be Just As Powerful
Some of the best I read were also the shortest (also helps to complete the challenge, CHEAT!) As a Man Thinketh (mentioned here), Anthem (Ayn Rand's shortest book AFAIK), Who Move My Cheese (also mentioned here) The Dip, The Icarus Deception, Poke the Box and Tribes We Need You to Lead Us by Seth Godin, The Little Book of Talent and Growth Hacker Marketing for example are some of the most mind-opening things I read. Love Yourself like your life depends on it being another.

So what am I trying to say? You don't need to read War and Peace, Atlas Shrugged and whatever other long books you can think of to do this challenge and it be worthwhile, lots of these books took me very little time to read.

How Would I Do It Differently, and How Should You (perhaps) Do It?
Like I mentioned above (long post, I know!) I did it to play catch up, that isn't a bad reason to do it, but now I've finished, I can say that if I do it again, no, when I do it again, it will be more focused.

If you're looking for business ideas in general, then I would preach my approach to anyone looking to start somewhere. Find the best/more recommended books, pick them up and start, don't plan, just read and finish the challenge.

If you already know where you want to go, or what you want to do? Don't dare go scatter-gun! I'd suggest picking perhaps 10 general wealth/business/self help books (Think and Grow Rich, BOLD, The ONE Thing, etc.) and then doing the other 42 relating to your desired subject.

If you want to be a real estate investor, you're probably not going to need to read something like The Laptop Millionaire (not a bad book FWIW). Focus on that area of expertise instead.

Think 10 self-help/wealth/etc books + 42 on your desired subject is too focused? Chuck in a bit of fiction for fun, why not?

The other thing I would advise, is adding something health and fitness related, and maybe a cook book or 2 (not recipe books, but one's that teach you how to cook in general) or anything relating to other areas where you think your life could be improved, languages, mathematics (A Slice of Pi is a cool book!) whatever.

There's probably more I can add to this section but this post is getting huge already.

What else can the challenge do you for you?
I think it has improved my writing, although maybe you who are reading this can be the judge of that.

Blasting through 52 books has given me at least a top 10 which I will now re-read and re-read and re-read again as I see fit.

Business ideas galore now fill my notebook. I normally have a few, but when I read, they seem to just pop into my head more frequently.

Reading has improved my focus, something I used to struggle with.

All In All
This challenge has done me wonders, I'd highly recommend doing it! If you've got any questions that I haven't covered, then feel free to ask!
That seems like an awful lot of books?? Good for you.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
That seems like an awful lot of books?? Good for you.

Some of the shorter ones really don't take long to get through. Changing my day to make more time to read was the main problem, but like I mentioned above, it's pretty easy once you make a few tweaks.

Upto 54 books now for the year, and I'm starting to plan out how I'm going to do it next year (will post that in this thread when I've figured it all out).

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
So how much action did you take in those 52 weeks?

How much did your business improve?

How much did your bank account improve?

How much additional free time do you have now?

I think what OP is trying to get at is that reading doesn't have to impede your action. For example, let's say you decide to dedicate an hour to reading every night before bed and you can read at 500 WPM (which is fast-average and definitely attainable for the average person), you can read 30,000 words per night, 210,000 words a week. Your typical book has quite a fewer number of words (with books like Atlas Shrugged having more than twice that, but your typical book is not that thick).

Now I use a lot of numberwang here just to illustrate that reading != not doing. If you're reading and not doing, reading isn't the problem.

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
Yes I Do! Here's the list:

1. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller (I started with some Fiction.)
  2. The Prince - Nikolo Machiavelli
  3. How to Get Rich - Felix Dennis
  4. Start with Why - Simon Sinek
  5. The Book of Five Rings - Miyamoto Musashi
  6. What to Say When You Talk to Yourself - Dr Shad Helmsetter.
  7. Millionaire Fastlane (second reading) - MJ DeMarco of course.
  8. So Good They Can't Ignore You - Cal Newport
  9. Art Of Learning - Josh Watzkin
  10. The 50th Law - 50 Cent and Robert Greene
  11. Turning Pro - Steven Pressfield
  12. The War of Art - Ditto (second reading)
  13. Poke The Box - Seth Godin
  14. Little Book of Talent - Daniel Coyle
  15. The Warrior Ethos - Pressfield
  16. Do The Work - Pressfield
  17. The Authentic Swing - Pressfield
  18. The Accountant's Story - Roberto Escobar
  19. Steal Like an Artist - Actually got this book for free, which I thought was quite ironic!
  20. Trust Me I'm Lying - Ryan Holliday
  21. Growth Hacker Marketing - Ditto
  22. Million Dollar Habits - Robert Ringer
  23. To Be or Not to be intimidated - Ditto.
  24. Action - Nothing Happens until something moves - Ditto.
  25. The Power of Habit - Charles Duhigg
  26. Manage Your Day to Day - Various (It's a book in Kindle Unlimited, worth reading too)
  27. The Icarus Deception - Seth Godin
  28. Tribes - We Need You Lead Us - SG
  29. 99 Cows (free, need to read Purple Cows now) - SG
  30. All Marketers are Liars (Tell Stories) - SG
  31. The Dip - SG
  32. Placebos - SG (Another freebie)
  33. Laptop Millionaire - Mark Anastasi
  34. Cashvertising - Drew Eric Whitman
  35. Who Moved my Cheese - Spencer Johnson
  36. Wired For Story - Lisa Cron
  37. Man's Search for meaning - Victor Frankl
  38. No More Mr Nice Guy - Robert Glover
  39. Stop Stealing Dreams - Seth Godin
  40. The Way of Men - Jack Donovan
  41. Gorilla Mindset - Mike Cernovich
  42. Anthem - Ayn Rand
  43. Think and Grow Rich - Napoleon Hill
  44. Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends on it - Kamal Ravikant (cool very short book!)
  45. As a Man Thinketh - James Allen
  46. The Boron Letters - Gary Halbert (you can find them free online)
  47. Scientific Advertising - Claude Hopkins EDIT: Free Here: http://scientificadvertising.blogspot.ca/
  48. Zero to One - Peter Thiel
  49. The One Thing - Gary Keller
  50. The Adventures of Anybody - Richard Bandler
  51. Walden - Henry David Thereau
  52. Little Bets - Peter Sims
I also read a bunch of shorter books on Kindle Unlimited that I can't remember the titles of, but took notes from them too. Mostly related to habits, procrastination, and fitness etc.

nice list!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.