The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What are your daily habits?

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
One thing I have heard is that developing strong habits is a sure way to finding success in life. I believe it to be true and am going to try to improve my daily habits to help me become a better, more disciplined person.

I'm just curious, what productive habits/routines do you have that improve your overall quality of life?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,183%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Improve your work by 1% every day -- by the 70th day, it'll be exactly twice as good. Fastlane is pretty easy when you keep that in mind. Incremental improvements over shifting the earth. That's all you need to do in order to separate yourself from the rest.

I try to keep a 4:1 action:learning ratio. So for every 4 hours of action, there's 1 hour of reading and learning. I think where a lot of people get stuck is when they learn...and learn...and learn...but take no action. Without action, you cannot improve 1% daily.

bbrrookie

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Oct 12, 2014
Miami, FL
Improve your work by 1% every day -- by the 70th day, it'll be exactly twice as good. Fastlane is pretty easy when you keep that in mind. Incremental improvements over shifting the earth. That's all you need to do in order to separate yourself from the rest.

I try to keep a 4:1 action:learning ratio. So for every 4 hours of action, there's 1 hour of reading and learning. I think where a lot of people get stuck is when they learn...and learn...and learn...but take no action. Without action, you cannot improve 1% daily.

I agree, I had read so much that I got motivated and was ready, but instead of taking action...I read another book. I stopped reading so long throughout the day and have begun doing something (finally).
I meditate once a day and have made myself do, even a little, something each and every day to move forward. Reading was cool, but you don't learn until you physically do.

Solrac

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 6, 2014
Florida
Best habits I have encountered:
Get enough sleep
Take time for your own growth
Relax when you need to
Exercise daily
Eat Right

These seem to have helped me tremendously

Yankee427

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 17, 2011
NJ
Work out and eat right everyday. You can't grow if you don't fuel your body right.

Also, keep a list of whatever you need to do daily to grow your business. For me, it is to try to make contact with a certain number of people in my industry everyday, whether it be in person, online on forums or meetup groups or wherever else they may be.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Get up early. 5am for me. As a night owl that took time to develop as I found it really hard to drag my sorry arse out of bed at that ungodly hour. Now as soon as the alarm goes off I have trained myself through habit to slid my feet out of the bed and onto the floor as I turn the alarm off. If I think about it, it is too easy to roll over and go back to sleep.

You can get a lot done while everyone else sleeps as you don't get disturbed. No questions, no phone calls no 'just wanted a chat'.

Routine and habit can make you very efficient as you don't have to think once you program yourself. 5am Alarm, stretch, 60 press-ups, coffee on, shower, pour coffee, work.

It's 6:24am here now and I have already achieved my main goal of the day. :)

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
Daily habits: Meditate, eat right, > 4 hours focused work, read, exercise, generate ideas, brain training and avoid making treasonous choices.

With the exception of eating right, which I struggle with at times, I'm on a 26 day streak of doing everything else. Being consistent in these things has had a huge impact and everyday it gets easier to do what's right.

ljb7

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Jun 7, 2014
Get up early. 5am for me. As a night owl that took time to develop as I found it really hard to drag my sorry arse out of bed at that ungodly hour. Now as soon as the alarm goes off I have trained myself through habit to slid my feet out of the bed and onto the floor as I turn the alarm off. If I think about it, it is too easy to roll over and go back to sleep.

You can get a lot done while everyone else sleeps as you don't get disturbed. No questions, no phone calls no 'just wanted a chat'.

Routine and habit can make you very efficient as you don't have to think once you program yourself. 5am Alarm, stretch, 60 press-ups, coffee on, shower, pour coffee, work.

It's 6:24am here now and I have already achieved my main goal of the day. :)

I've tried this, and just cannot manage it. I'm a night owl through and through. I stay up till 1:30/2:30am every day, I've had periods where I stay up till 5 or 6am but I wouldn't recommend this. I just lose track of time and love not being disturbed and I'm always more motivated at night than in the morning, that's for sure. I always aim to get up at 8 or 9 nowadays, but somedays I sleep in a little later :p

I

insideusisgod

1. Be flexible in choice, kind at heart, genuine in soul.
2. Hurt none and see all as one.
3. Strive for perfection.
4. Give affection.
5. Listen,.. then act, if I want to.

Albeit to be "open" to what is different and what I don't know about is a good habit. It's a good habit because we can't have what we don't have with what we currently have.

Change circumvents death. Change is all that is certain. Not even death can be ascertained.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
I've tried this, and just cannot manage it. I'm a night owl through and through. I stay up till 1:30/2:30am every day, I've had periods where I stay up till 5 or 6am but I wouldn't recommend this. I just lose track of time and love not being disturbed and I'm always more motivated at night than in the morning, that's for sure. I always aim to get up at 8 or 9 nowadays, but somedays I sleep in a little later :p

This is exactly what I want to do. Girlfriend gets pissed with me sleeping while she is getting ready to go to work, so I actually go to bed at midnight, wake up at 6, wake until she leaves, then sleep another 1-2 hrs. I just can't stay awake...sorry excuse, but I just don't function. Really need to work on my schedule, because I end up wasting 2 whole hours of my awake time "trying to wake up" the first time, just to do it again when I awake the 2nd time...so annoying and definitely working on changing.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Eat right. Watch the artificial/chemical shitstorm going into your body. Artificial colors have warning labels in the EU, not in America. Some sweeteners are banned in Europe, not in America. You cannot trust the mainstream health cartel as most of them are in the pockets of the agricultural and drug companies. Pay attention to your body and how it reacts to certain foods. Heck, I can't remember the last time I had McDonalds or traditional fast food.

My only vice is eating like shit at the once a month poker game and even that grub isn't all that bad.

In the end, health holds the crown for wealth. Start there.

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
Regardless of the routine, the key to success is being consistent.

A small change consistently performed every day for a year will change your life.

The fastlane is all about process, which is a total adoption of change.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Having a terrible attention span, I train myself to keep a whole host of habits.
I use two tools: HabitBull, a phone app that lets me track my habits day after day using the Seinfeld method, and Pomodo.io, an online implementation of the Pomodoro technique. It works great.

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
Eat right. [...] In the end, health holds the crown for wealth. Start there.

Thanks for this. I think I'm going about it all wrong. For some reason I've been letting myself off the hook when it comes to food without realizing how much this is working against me.

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
Girlfriend gets pissed with me sleeping while she is getting ready to go to work, so I actually go to bed at midnight, wake up at 6, wake until she leaves, then sleep another 1-2 hrs. I just can't stay awake...sorry excuse, but I just don't function.

@RBefort if going to bed earlier isn't an option, establish some different habits that are triggered by your girlfriend leaving for work. I'm pretty sure that if you go for a run or bike ride as soon as she leaves, then have a cold shower and a cup of coffee, that you won't feel like going back to bed.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I've tried this, and just cannot manage it. I'm a night owl through and through. I stay up till 1:30/2:30am every day, I've had periods where I stay up till 5 or 6am but I wouldn't recommend this. I just lose track of time and love not being disturbed and I'm always more motivated at night than in the morning

I used to be exactly the same. I would be focused so hard that the only thing that disturbed me was the dawn chorus and then I'd think "Shit! time for bed". The only way I could switch it (and it is habit that makes you a night owl, we aren't genetically pre-dis-positioned) was to force myself to go to bed earlier. I now go to bed around 10pm each night to keep the cycle running.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter if you are a night owl or a sky lark as long as you get time for focused work without interruptions.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
In the end, health holds the crown for wealth. Start there.

Most people ignore that fact until they get a major health scare. Then it bring it home in spades. It can be that one scare that changes their whole outlook on life forever. Unfortunately sometimes it only changes it for a few brief weeks. People can have very short memories.

G

GuestUser112

I've decided to start practicing my dance moves in the morning because, although my hand eye co-ordination is great, my whole-body coordination isn't what I feel to be up to par. So it's a good wake-up exercise to do and because it's difficult (for me) it will force me to begin my day with a strong focused mindset. Here is what I created today for the next thirty days as a morning routine:

• Rise, drink water, take a ten minute walk
  • Practice dance for 45 minutes (stopwatch)
  • Eat breakfast (quinoa and/or spinach, steak, eggs)
  • Fastlane work
  • Calisthenics workout
  • Lunch
  • Fastlane work (or go to my shitty job, depending on the day)

I think this could be a good progress thread for everybody to just check in and say "I'm [insert # of days] into my new routine!" every now and then.

P.S. This guy makes me want to learn to dance so bad...

G

GuestUser112

Day 1, Check! Except that I didn't make the full 45 minutes of practicing dance moves, more like 37. My legs were killing me.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Every day I learn to play a new Yngwie Malmsteen song on guitar. One of the things that keeps me grounded.

I also love watching Adventure Time. Favourite show in the universe.

G

GuestUser112

Every day I learn to play a new Yngwie Malmsteen song on guitar. One of the things that keeps me grounded..

Are you F*cking with me? I mostly stick with Tool riffs because I love that band but hell, you must be an insanely good guitarist.

Blhhi

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 23, 2014
Daily Rituals is a book that covers a ton of historic people's daily habits, from Benjamin Franklin to Karl Marx.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0307273601/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

I was shocked at how painfully mundane many of them were. Turns out there isn't any formula. Even the James Altucher stuff doesn't apply to these people. The only thing that matters is finding a consistent time of the day to do the most important thing you're working on. The rest of the day (as you'll find if you read the book) could literally be spent drinking and partying, and it doesn't seem to matter. That's not to say the drink-and-party types were particularly happy, of course.

PeeVee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Dec 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN

Dead on brother

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.