The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What are the best books/resources for becoming financially literate?

JaxAttacks

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
May 16, 2015
California
Hey Fastlaners!
I want to be ready when I start making money and I realize that I'm almost completely financially illiterate. No bueno. What are the best books/resources you've used to become financially literate? (Especially for a n00b.)
Looking forward to your knowledge bombs! :D

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
Hey Fastlaners!
I want to be ready when I start making money and I realize that I'm almost completely financially illiterate. No bueno. What are the best books/resources you've used to become financially literate? (Especially for a n00b.)
Looking forward to your knowledge bombs! :D

Kudos to you @JaxAttacks . I feel the same way.

I realized recently that I not only needed to learn how to make money, but how to manage it. What good is it going to do me to get wealthy just to lose it all because of stupidity? ha

So I just started a graduate level Financial Coaching course. It's not MBA business finance, but they are teaching us basic, sound, financial principles which everyone needs to know plus the psychology of money.

They started us with "The Secret Language of Money" by Kreuger, and it's about your relationship with money and how our personalities, background, life history, unresolved issues, etc can dramatically affect our ability to get money, keep money, and handle money effectively. Really good book so far.

Next we move on to basic financial principles. I'll let you know how that book is when I get to it.

Last edited:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
In general, here is what I have read:

Rich Dad Poor Dad
Your Money or Your Life
The Wealthy Barber
I Will Teach You To Be Rich
Total Money Makeover
The Richest Man in Babylon
The Intelligent Investor
The Personal MBA
The Automatic Millionaire
The Millionaire Mind

I can't say I agree 100% with each book's teachings, but combined info from all of them has been a really good eye opener for me about what others do and think, and what I should be doing the opposite of when it comes to personal finance/money.

I've got a couple others I have on the shelf not read yet and I have a couple others that are more about business than money. However, those above are a good primer for personal finance.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
edit... double posted somehow

JaxAttacks

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
May 16, 2015
California

JaxAttacks

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
May 16, 2015
California
Kudos to you @JaxAttacks . I feel the same way.

I realized recently that I not only needed to learn how to make money, but how to manage it. What good is it going to do me to get rich just to lose it all because of stupidity? ha

So I just started a graduate level Financial Coaching course. It's not MBA business finance, but they are teaching us basic, sound, financial principles which everyone needs to know and about the psychology of money.

They started us with "The Secret Language of Money" by Kreuger, and it's about your relationship with money and how our personalities, background, life history, unresolved issues, etc can dramatically affect our ability to get money, keep money, and handle money effectively. Really good book so far.

Next we move on to basic financial principles. I'll let you know how that book is when I get to it.
Thanks Bellini, kudos right back to ya. You stated my thought better than I did. :) The course you're taking sounds interesting. I'll have to had
The Sevret Language Of Money to my reading list. Thanks!

JaxAttacks

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
May 16, 2015
California
In general, here is what I have read:

Rich Dad Poor Dad
Your Money or Your Life
The Wealthy Barber
I Will Teach You To Be Rich
Total Money Makeover
The Richest Man in Babylon
The Intelligent Investor
The Personal MBA
The Automatic Millionaire
The Millionaire Mind

I can't say I agree 100% with each book's teachings, but combined info from all of them has been a really good eye opener for me about what others do and think, and what I should be doing the opposite of when it comes to personal finance/money.

I've got a couple others I have on the shelf not read yet and I have a couple others that are more about business than money. However, those above are a good primer for personal finance.
Thank you for the suggestions. I've read like two of the ones listed so I have several to add to my reading list.

LynnD5000

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 22, 2015
Idaho
This is a really old book but it like MJ's book is based on mathematics and seems to work.
How to make a million in the stock market by Robert Lichello
The title is pretty cheesy - but the content is pretty amazing - from a slowlane point of view.
L

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
I would have added MJ's book, but I decided not to because I don't feel it's really "finance" but more business.

It's still a great read though. I think if you want finance though, the books above are a bit more skewed to that.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%