The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What a Weekend!

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I was able to participate in the "Hood to Coast" 202 mile relay over the past weekend. It was my 5th time at the event.

The challenge is that there are 12 people on your team and you take turns racing until you reach your destination.

I have always enjoyed these races but had to take a few years off due to injuries. My team has done this race for 7 years straight. You must be in the top six finishers each year to be guaranteed a spot for the next year. Our team usually takes third.

This does not sound difficult but there are 1300 total teams. The race fills up on the day it opens for registration every year with thousands of teams being turned away. It is a very special race that incredibly popular.

Our team organizer had trouble filling the team this year and had gotten out of shape himself. He decided that this would be the last year for us. I came back from injured reserve and took a spot on the team.

This proved to be the most event filled and fun year for me. I decided that if we were able to secure a sixth place finish, that I would take the team over for next year.

The teams are split into two vans with six members in each. I was the only person in my van that had done this race before. The logistics are challenging and have a direct affect on the race completion. It is easy to get lost or get trapped behind a long line of vans trying to reach a checkpoint. The van driver and navigator are essential. The driver and navigator have to run as well so others need to rotate through the positions. The exchange point rules are extensive and designed for safety and fairness. It is possible to end up parking a half mile from the exchange point. In this case, you need to finish your leg, find your teammates, and hustle back to the van so you can rush to the next exchange.

The race goes for over 24 hours for most teams. There is not really any opportunity to sleep. You get mentally and physically exhausted during the course of the race.

We had a couple of instances where we got lost. One of them cost us 13 minutes of time but could have cost us a lot more. The navigator plugged in the wrong coordinates which took us off course. Our runner finished his leg and found nobody from our team. He almost kept running to the next exchange which would have been a disaster for us since we would not have known where to find him. The other instance found us driving into some endless loops of roads in the back hills of Oregon. We had no phone service or GPS and drove into empty locations for about 1.5 hours. We were fortunate that this happened while the other van was running but we missed out on getting some much needed food.

The race turned ugly for all participating about halfway though. A big storm came through with high winds and rain. I ran one of my legs at 3:am in the pouring rain and high winds with almost no visibility. The hills were steep and covered with debris. My headlamp was not enough to illuminate the path. Of course I charged through it but it was tough.

By the end the winds had picked up to around 60 miles per hour and was directly in our faces. Somebody is selling a t-shirt online that says "I survived the H2C Hurricane of 2015".

Our van had five type "A" personalities. It was really concerning at first as there was a lot of commotion and order barking. It settled down though and ended up being incredibly upbeat and positive with people that did nothing but run with all their might.

We ended up taking 6th place in our division and have locked in our spot for next year.

We have a beach house that we stay in every year while there. It was very enjoyable as was the small community of Seaside, Oregon.

Just to top off the end of the event, I was able to catch a flight back home on the Cardinal's (football team) jet. One of our teams participants is one of the owners (Opportunities for conversation and learning exist everywhere). That was a pleasant experience in itself.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
would be cool to see photos. You're insane ;)

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
would be cool to see photos. You're insane ;)
I find that it is a pain to edit each picture to reduce the size. Is there an easier way to post pictures here?

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I find that it is a pain to edit each picture to reduce the size. Is there an easier way to post pictures here?
it would probably be easier to use a batch edit tool on your pictures to resize all at once.
Maybe this can work? http://www.picresize.com/
havent tried it...

bradipaus

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 25, 2015
I was able to participate in the "Hood to Coast" 202 mile relay over the past weekend. It was my 5th time at the event.

The challenge is that there are 12 people on your team and you take turns racing until you reach your destination.

I have always enjoyed these races but had to take a few years off due to injuries. My team has done this race for 7 years straight. You must be in the top six finishers each year to be guaranteed a spot for the next year. Our team usually takes third.

I saw some pics and videos from a friend of mine who partecipate to the event some years ago.

even if I was not there, the video was really amazing ... the atmosphere was very positive and challenging. Strength, courage and determination at the top.

Steve, I really congratulate for it

Jamie T

>>
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
390%
Oct 26, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
That sounds like quite the race!

I know a few runners who have competed in long distance relays.

I've never considered entering one myself until now. How many miles did you personally run of the 202?

Does everyone run the same time/mileage per each leg?

Dealing with the many different conditions (weather, stress, competition, etc) is one of my favorite things about running. I'm glad you made it safely through the storming conditions. It can be rough out there.

The ending to your weekend was great, not everyday you can catch a flight with a NFL team!

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
That sounds like quite the race!

I know a few runners who have competed in long distance relays.

I've never considered entering one myself until now. How many miles did you personally run of the 202?

Does everyone run the same time/mileage per each leg?

Dealing with the many different conditions (weather, stress, competition, etc) is one of my favorite things about running. I'm glad you made it safely through the storming conditions. It can be rough out there.

The ending to your weekend was great, not everyday you can catch a flight with a NFL team!
My legs were about 16 miles total. There are different lengths and difficulty levels.

I did not have any concerns about the conditions. It is part of the experience. You just deal with it. Some teams did drop out for fear of falling branches or other excuses.

I did not fly back with the cardinal team. I got a seat on the jet with one of the owners. The only people on the jet were members of our running team.

Jamie T

>>
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
390%
Oct 26, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I did not fly back with the cardinal team. I got a seat on the jet with one of the owners. The only people on the jet were members of our running team.

Still very cool.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
2015-09-05 14.00.15.jpg

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
2015-08-27 17.42.30.jpg The finish line was abandoned for safety reasons. This picture does not show it well but some of the structures had collapsed from the wind. Also attached. My friend Reverend Tim that I met on the boardwalk2015-08-29 15.56.31.jpg

Last edited:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
2015-08-31 13.11.58.jpg 20150831_135035.jpg Our jet and one of my teammates kicking back on the flight. We pulled up to the jet in our rental cars. The staff returned them to the rental agency for us.2015-08-31 13.11.58.jpg

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
I have no idea what this says about me... but the more I read about it getting harder, the more I want to do this! This sounds like my kind of challenge. I'd say I was hugely impressed you completed it @SteveO , but having been stalking your posts and responses on here I'd expect nothing less of you! Sure there's no way to tempt you back next year? ;)

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I have no idea what this says about me... but the more I read about it getting harder, the more I want to do this! This sounds like my kind of challenge. I'd say I was hugely impressed you completed it @SteveO , but having been stalking your posts and responses on here I'd expect nothing less of you! Sure there's no way to tempt you back next year? ;)
Oh I'm back next year. In fact I am now the captain of the team!

No need to be impressed. We all have our enjoyable moments in life. These types of events tickle my fancy...

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
The road to nowhere. Part of our hour and a half of getting lost in the back woods.
11933394_10206693939044080_4853964176321013774_n.jpg

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Pulled pork at midnight . So F*cking spicy that it almost burned my face off. That crap needs to come with a warning label!
6725_10206693938764073_5211066550558100686_n.jpg

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
The whole team.
11947513_10206679118753582_2082572825673210604_n.jpg