The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

We're all going to starve!

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Alana

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Nov 16, 2012
In the middle of a national forest (in N. CA)
I had to come back to this thread. I don’t want to take away from the original message/theme posted, but since it’s become a bit of a debate as to whether or not we have enough food to support our civilization, or whether other resources like water are more important than food, let me say the following:

We can debate these issues/problems facing humanity day and night as to their relevance (and business opportunities), but here’s thing. It boils down to the question: Can you take care of yourself? It is literally along the same lines of MJ’s book: think beyond the conventional ‘slow lane’ way of thinking and start thinking for yourself (and act on it!). Those who believe that there will always be plenty of food at the grocery store or that water will always run from the tap are thinking the same way that slowlaners think when they say that they are financially okay because they have a good 9-5 job. Fastlaners know that you can’t depend on anyone else (a boss, a job title, the stock market, etc) to guarantee your success. The boss can fire you, the job title can be eliminated, and the market can move against your favor. MJ’s book points out the flaws of the slowlane and how you can get into the fastlane to take control of your financial status. The same can be said about your basic needs too: don’t depend on the grocery store to stock it’s isles full of food, or the farmers to always go on farming, or the land to always be plentiful (etc etc etc). Be self-sufficient as much as possible.
I’m not a doom-and-gloomer end-of-the-world gal. But I do at least acknowledge the fact that natural or man made disasters happen (hurricanes, earthquakes, political unrest, etc etc etc). To say ‘well, that will never happen in my neck of the woods’ is to say ‘I am perfectly safe in my 401K and when I retire in 15 years I’ll be sitting pretty’. To that I say ‘yeah, good luck with that’.
I’m not saying you have to live like me (I know it’s not for everyone). But how much food do you have in your house? Enough to last a few days? A week? A day? (and I’m not talking about that 5 year old bag of frozen peas way back in your freezer…I’m talking about good/solid meals). Do you have any idea how to acquire water (and make it drinkable…without electricity)?

Today we feel naked if we don’t have our electric gadgets on us running at every waking moment. But batteries die out. Power sometimes goes out (entirely). Things happen. Psycologist suggest for humans it will only be a matter of 72 hours before people in masses return to basic survival instincts. At the end of the day are you able to stand on your own two feet and go down the fastlane or will you be stuck in the slowlane trying to figure out if you can eat a dollar bill and get an app to pour you water?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

nzerinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 1, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Today we feel naked if we don’t have our electric gadgets on us running at every waking moment. But batteries die out. Power sometimes goes out (entirely). Things happen. Psycologist suggest for humans it will only be a matter of 72 hours before people in masses return to basic survival instincts. At the end of the day are you able to stand on your own two feet and go down the fastlane or will you be stuck in the slowlane trying to figure out if you can eat a dollar bill and get an app to pour you water?

Hear hear. I'm not there yet, but I've got the same mindset.

Now to start up a business based on sustainable living....

Texan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jul 8, 2012
Texas
I own some land that was once used in agricultural production. It sits fallow now, though I am planting an ever-expanding orchard on it. Why does most of it sit fallow? Because the economics are not there (yet) to make it worth my time to get into agricultural production. The orchard is for my family's use until it produces too much (at which time I have some entrepreneurial ideas to try with it:).

Jim Rogers says that the day is coming when farming will become profitable again thanks to increases in population and the (OLD) average age of the American farmer. I actually don't think we will run out of food...there are too many millions of acres that sit, like mine, waiting for the right time :coolgleamA:

Add that to the research into GMOs, plus the locavore (sp?) movement, there are opportunities to help people either grow their own food or get their own locally-grown food.

And looking down at my gut, I know that I could last while without food.... :D

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Anyone see the hunger games movie?

Fermovian

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jan 19, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Looking at North Korea, China and the Soviet Union during their collectivization periods (and in the case of North Korea, currently), I don't think tight control will work. If it doesn't pay you more to grow 1000 tonnes of grain than it does 10, few people are going to bother with the hastle.
I think the last famine in Western Europe was in the 1600s or so. It is actually a pretty notable event, but I don't remember the exact details. I'll have to look it up.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Here is a photo of my little backyard project that I am building. This time next year, this area will be green, lush, and full of fruits and veggies. This small space is large enough to meet the produce needs of my family of 6. I could build at least another 5 of these units on my 1/3rd acre piece of property.

I completely agree with Alana......if you are happy relying on grocery stores and farmers to meet your needs, then fine.....chances are you will be hungry whenever something happens that interrupts the food supply. I have been studying gardening for almost three years now. It all started when I realized that me and my kids wouldn't know how to survive if all of the grocery stores suddenly stopped providing our food. Plus, I like food that tastes good in its raw form. You cant really say that the produce department has delicious "raw" fruits and veggies. Even the strawberries and apples from the produce department taste nasty half of the time.

Should the country ever arrive at a point where we have to depend on OURSELVES to meet our produce needs, I will have years of experience over most other people. My knowledge as well as my produce will be available......for a price.

CAM00023.jpg

Fermovian

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jan 19, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I live in the Suburbs of Vancouver and we have vast amounts of land by the sea that are in the Agricultural land reserve. I always thought it was a waste as land here can go for millions of dollars and there is a shortage of affordable housing. Like all low density suburban areas we have huge amounts of land for lawns, boulevards and other areas that are not put to productive use.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Prove to me that we're on the brink of running out of food?

.. Exactly

I don't think anyone said that we were on the brink of running out of food and I don't think anyone has to prove anything to you. I did say that there have been articles written that we could face a natural disaster that could cause a food shortage.

It has been pointed out is that there is plenty of land available and it is not economically favorable to farm it at this time.

I also pointed out there are many steps to getting food to the table and many ways to get into the biz end of the process. Also, since it takes a while for food to grow, there could be many glitches in the system that could interrupt the food deliver or availability. Again, opportunity.

It's just like any other possible venture. Nothing to panic over or get confrontational about. Just information to sift through and digest. How you respond to the information is your choice.

Gold777

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Nov 3, 2011
I don't think anyone said that we were on the brink of running out of food and I don't think anyone has to prove anything to you. I did say that there have been articles written that we could face a natural disaster that could cause a food shortage.

It has been pointed out is that there is plenty of land available and it is not economically favorable to farm it at this time.

I also pointed out there are many steps to getting food to the table and many ways to get into the biz end of the process. Also, since it takes a while for food to grow, there could be many glitches in the system that could interrupt the food deliver or availability. Again, opportunity.

It's just like any other possible venture. Nothing to panic over or get confrontational about. Just information to sift through and digest. How you respond to the information is your choice.

Exactly, all I did was simply voice my thoughts. I said that we weren't going to run out of food for a very long time, if not ever. Doesn't mean I'm not factoring in natural disasters, etc. In fact, if a natural disaster was the cause of a food shortage, you'd have to think that there would likely be a good portion of people killed that would almost balance that out. I mean, how much land would have to be destroyed in order to cause a food shortage? A F*ck ton, that's how much lol.

Factoring in the very low chances of a natural disaster that big + the fact that there's more food produced daily than eaten + the fact that there's stockpiles of food everywhere + the fact that we get our food from all over the world, meaning that it would take a freak accident of simultaneous natural disasters to cause a food shortage + the fact that every day scientists get closer to perfecting cloned meat...

As I said, I don't think we're running out of food any time soon if ever. There's no reason for someone to call me "ignorant" because of that, especially considering the equation I just pieced together above^ which makes much more sense than any reason you could think of that would be in the favor of a food shortage.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
As I said, I don't think we're running out of food any time soon if ever. There's no reason for someone to call me "ignorant" because of that, especially considering the equation I just pieced together above^ which makes much more sense than any reason you could think of that would be in the favor of a food shortage.

Slow down there champ and give me a chance to respond, the "ignorance is bliss" comment was in reference to your global warming is a myth to charge people higher prices comment which was completely ignorant so no I was not out of line.

Prove to me that we're on the brink of running out of food?

.. Exactly

Slow down there champ, again, at least give me a chance to respond. Will you and me (first world people) ever run out of food, probably not, but lets look at your comment:

We're not running out of food anytime soon, more like ever.

Probably before you die, you will see a global water shortage as our population exceeds our freshwater resources. Water prices will skyrocket and food will follow along as all food requires water to make. While you and me may be comfy sitting in our first world paradise, millions of 3rd world inhabitants will be starving and dying. You probably won't care though, you might even call it a government conspiracy or something, you know, to raise prices and suck our pockets dry....

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
LOL I wish global warming was real. I froze my a$$ off on the golf course today.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Gold777

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Nov 3, 2011
Slow down there champ and give me a chance to respond, the "ignorance is bliss" comment was in reference to your global warming is a myth to charge people higher prices comment which was completely ignorant so no I was not out of line.

Maybe you should have did a better job of clarifying yourself. Also, do your research:

Food prices driven up by global warming, study shows | Environment | The Guardian

Yes, it's not a good article, that's the point. Prices of food have increased because of "global warming" and the link above isn't the only source of this information. Sounds like my comment isn't the one that was ignorant...

Probably before you die, you will see a global water shortage as our population exceeds our freshwater resources. Water prices will skyrocket and food will follow along as all food requires water to make. While you and me may be comfy sitting in our first world paradise, millions of 3rd world inhabitants will be starving and dying. You probably won't care though, you might even call it a government conspiracy or something, you know, to raise prices and suck our pockets dry....

A global water shortage? They've just found a huge source of water in Africa that they say is likely to be the biggest source of fresh water in the world. Also, once again you're factoring out the advancement of technology, do you know what water desalination is?

Once again, do your research, technology is improving and so will the methods of getting fresh water & food.

Also, people starving in 3rd world countries has nothing to do with a government conspiracy, nor did I say global warming was a government conspiracy.. you're bad at being sarcastic, lol.

Jesus.. :smx4:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

Thank you. Global warming is a real thing (if scientific data doesn't prove it, then explain why it was 20 C/60 F in December in Ontario!)

Anyway...

We're probably not going to 'starve'. However, we are going to be facing shortages of common foods that we currently eat. We're already seeing species of fish start to disappear from our dinner plates. One bad hurricane season and orange juice is $6 a carton. Just real life examples I've seen

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Maybe you should have did a better job of clarifying yourself. Also, do your research:

Food prices driven up by global warming, study shows | Environment | The Guardian

Yes, it's not a good article, that's the point. Prices of food have increased because of "global warming" and the link above isn't the only source of this information. Sounds like my comment isn't the one that was ignorant...

A global water shortage? They've just found a huge source of water in Africa that they say is likely to be the biggest source of fresh water in the world. Also, once again you're factoring out the advancement of technology, do you know what water desalination is?

Once again, do your research, technology is improving and so will the methods of getting fresh water & food.

Also, people starving in 3rd world countries has nothing to do with a government conspiracy, nor did I say global warming was a government conspiracy.. you're bad at being sarcastic, lol.

Jesus.. :smx4:

:smilielol:

Just keep on being positive, maybe if we ignore your children terrible future it will just go away

100 years ago someone would have told you cigarettes were harmless or even beneficial to your health, done with the pointless arguing

Gold777

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Nov 3, 2011
Thank you. Global warming is a real thing (if scientific data doesn't prove it, then explain why it was 20 C/60 F in December in Ontario!)

There's scientific data for it, and against it. I'm mainly on the fence when it comes to global warming as I've seen reputable arguments from both sides. However, it would be naive to think that the temperatures would stay the same forever on Earth and wouldn't change naturally ever.

Just keep on being positive, maybe if we ignore your children terrible future it will just go away

When did I ever imply on ignoring children's futures? Lol what? Also, I am positive and will continue to be, I'm positive that technological advancements will outweigh your arguments in the future.

100 years ago someone would have told you cigarettes were harmless or even beneficial to your health, done with the pointless arguing

Again, I never said or implied that people should continue doing or supporting things that are harmful to the environment. Look at car's for example, there's cars out there that are fully electric that can get up to 300 miles. In the future, the battery's that power those cars will be half the size or smaller, and have an output of more than double the miles.

If you haven't heard, Kingston just made a 1TB sized flash drive...

SO, you're STILL ignoring the advancements of technology.

Electric cars in the future = no more harmful gases (of course gas cars will still be around, but definitely won't be as popular as they are today, it's just the direction society is headed in)

Water desalination improvements in the future that are cheaper = virtually unlimited supply of water

Perfection of cloned animals in the future = virtually unlimited supply of food

This isn't a science fiction movie, it's real life. They say technology solves all our problems, laptops/tablets are being made so cheaply now that they're being given to kids in 3rd world countries by the slabs to help better educate them.

Technology = majority of the answers to our problems

I seriously don't know how else to explain it or why you would continue to ignore the fact that technology is advancing constantly and will likely end up being the reason that the human race survives.. but oh well, you can live in your Amish world all you want, haha :thumbsup:.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Side note. Electric cars are still charged by electricity generated by burning stuff.

Electric cars just move the pollution elsewhere. Electricity generation needs to be green as well to cut down on that. Green Mountain wind energy is doing a pretty good job of competing with other providers. They are higher, but they have a differentiation that few other providers have.

nzerinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 1, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Side note. Electric cars are still charged by electricity generated by burning stuff.

Electric cars just move the pollution elsewhere.

^ This.

Its like the ethanol production supporters...saying that all the Brazilians cutting down the Amazonian rainforest to grow the crops to produce a sustainable energy source is great, ignoring the fact that it takes 4 barrels of fossil fuel to create the 1 barrel of "sustainable" fuel.
Someone screwed up on the math there...

Gold777

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Nov 3, 2011
Green Mountain wind energy is doing a pretty good job of competing with other providers. They are higher, but they have a differentiation that few other providers have.

The problem is still being solved by technological advancements nonetheless :smxB:.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Very true.

speedyexe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jun 23, 2011
Gdynia, Poland

Anyway...

We're probably not going to 'starve'. However, we are going to be facing shortages of common foods that we currently eat. We're already seeing species of fish start to disappear from our dinner plates. One bad hurricane season and orange juice is $6 a carton. Just real life examples I've seen

Friday Finds: Greenland "Greenland increased from approximately 40 percent of the ice sheet surface to 97 percent"

I saw on tv that to fight global warming they will put some plants in the middle of ocean that will grow quickly and help with ozone problem, but I dont remember name of that plant.

maybe this http://www.herinst.org/sbeder/HoleStory/chapter6/ch6a.html

Shaman

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 26, 2013
Food shortage? I see millions of fat, slow people to eat... Sure, I'd prefer to eat healthy, wild game, and I will try my hardest to acquire such...

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 20, 2013
Well maybe... but here's the deal. As you know, the world's population is rising to a level that we as a civilization cannot support. There will simply not be enough of life's basic necessities; shortage of food being the main concern. My thoughts are that anyone who is a serious player in the food industry (especially producers) stands to gain massive amounts of wealth due to future extraordinary demand. What are your thoughts on getting into the food industry (any phase) in preparation for the inevitable future food shortage?

Ever try surviving on three bowls of rice and maybe 1 pound of veggies every day? Prolly 2 billion people in Asia have done that before.

You're assuming current consumption habits continue.

The fact is, if there are no stupid subsidies (except basic food guarantee perhaps), shortages leading to soaring food prices will cause people to eat less meat, and on a more veggie based diet, there is more than enough land for food.

Lots of things we take for granted are luxuries. Do we really "need" that much meat, sugary drinks, snacks etc? Well, right now we have them and I indulge in them a bit too. But if they're taken away due to a quadrupling in the price of soybeans/corn, it's not like that's totally unacceptable. There are so many efficiencies that can be implemented at little to no impact on living standards. How about everyone eating the food they order? They'd do that if food costed 30% of their budget.

It might even be a good thing for food prices to soar (except for major food importing countries like Egypt, they would bear the brunt of the costs). We could probably get healthier life styles. All due to the great market and not due to nanny regulatory agencies telling us what's "good" for us.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.