The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

We Start Building Our Prototype This Weekend. Spit Ball Some Ideas?

Idea threads

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
Hello All,

We have enough funds to start making the prototype this weekend. I'm curious if anyone has any ideas on how to accomplish this.

Part of the product requires us to fuse vinyl fabric together and ensure it's completely sealed so no water can escape. Three edges are easy. Simply heat-weld three sides, flip inside out so seal is nice and no sharp edges. But that leaves the final seal, unsealed. Any ideas on how I could get the final seal to match the others?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
First thought is to seal all the way around except for say around 5 inches or so. Flip it inside out, and only have a raw-edge for the 5 inches. Trim the seam down as close as possible and hope it isn't an eyesore.

H8tower

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 6, 2014
Georgia
It will most likely be an eyesore if you leave the raw edge on the outside. You can still probably fold them slightly, then turn them inside and weld or glue the lips (sorry, didn't know how else to describe it) that way. At least you wont have raw edges that you need to cut later. If you don't want to reveal too much about the shape of the object here on this forum, maybe your local tailor or shoe manufacturer can give you more helpful advice about hidden seams. That's something they do on a daily basis.

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
You must devise a way to reduce that 5'" seam to the absolute minimum, as that area becomes your "potential profit margin or loss margin " or in other words the weakest point that deems your product worthless. Perhaps a vacuum device may facilitate here thus reducing that opening even further? Depending on the "now new exterior" surface composition, you must seek advice on a bonding agent for a patch that will cover that open seam.That "patch" is then used for your brand or logo. If the product is big enough other patches can be bonded to the surface in strategic positions to divert the attention away from the seam. Good luck with it and it sounds interesting.

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
I could utilize the few inches of raw edge as the location for the brand tag with logo and product information. Most important part is that it's completely sealed. They have plenty of other bonding types other than heat. It's just minimizing or concealing the raw edge

Last edited:

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
I could utilize the few inches of raw edge as the location for the brand tag with logo and product information. Most important part is that it's completely sealed. They have plenty of other bonding types other than heat. It's just minimizing or concealing the raw edge
Yes precisely ......" combination engineering".fool the eye and add an extra layer of comfort to the weakest link. Think of how carpet tape works for joining carpet from the underside. Then your brand/logo label on top which is glued/bonded/welded should not create an uneven surface or look odd..That might be the best approach....Sorry man..lol ...but it's difficult to generalise a solution to a problem without knowing a little more info regarding material composition ie. vinyl, rubber,etc....all different materials have different solutions that are so so specific....well worth getting outside help here in adhesion methods as some problems seem to peep up their head long after their initial activation date.....keep going .....your on the right track

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
Hey Tommy thanks. It's vinyl fabric, like kid pool stuff. And needs to be sealed so water can't escape. There's nothing more to it. Simple stuff.

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
Hey Tommy thanks. It's vinyl fabric, like kid pool stuff. And needs to be sealed so water can't escape. There's nothing more to it. Simple stuff.
Ok ...totally different to what I was thinking you were at.....I was on a different page.lol ...Anyway same process generally applies in all such cases. The price point will determine the need to create a seamless/flawless finished product. If I pay $4 for your product I won't care much about longevity or general appearance.

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
Hey Timmy,

It'll be more expensive than $14. I tracked down a Chemist at the local University and we talked a while and he agreed...Heat seal all around except for a few inches... flip inside out and seal the gap... cover with nice product label.

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
Hey Timmy,

It'll be more expensive than $14. I tracked down a Chemist at the local University and we talked a while and he agreed...Heat seal all around except for a few inches... flip inside out and seal the gap... cover with nice product label.
Excellent ..That sounds good...Now get to work your prototype ....let the real work begin.:hurray:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.