The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Wal-Mart eCommerce

Wal-Mart Vendor

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Feb 18, 2015
USA

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
I hope the link works. Great read on how Wal-Mart is looking to increase sales in eCommerce. They have a long way to go to catch Amazon!:yawn:

http://www.thecitywire.com/node/365...linkedin.com&utm_campaign=buffer#.VO-Eo_nF9pV

I'm one of those contrarians who thinks Wal*Mart will become the dominant online catalog retailer, instead of Amazon, although that has a lot more to do with Amazon being way out there on the risk scale rather than Wal*Mart being all that great...

3things

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 17, 2013
Canadia
They've made pretty good efforts up here in Canada - pretty good new responsive website, prices are good [essentially same as in-store, same promotions], sometimes more choice/availability than in-store, free shipping on ALL orders, you can literally buy anything pretty much other than fresh food/milk, and it turns up very fast like 1-2 working days on the free shipping [at least here in Toronto]. I've been using them all winter for general packaged groceries, bulk buying stuff on sale, baby supplies etc, we actually live pretty close to a store but I can save myself an hour or two of time vs visiting the store.

I also got toys and a few gifts shipped before Xmas, whereas previously I'd have used Amazon as there was no other choice. I'm making the most of it while it lasts - they're losing on a lot of these orders due to the shipping/no minimum order - but i wondered from the beginning if after the market share grab, they'll maybe do something like same day or full-on grocery deliveries [rather than just packaged/dry goods shipped by CanadaPost]. Enjoying the convenience though, especially in this arctic winter we're having :D

Wal-Mart Vendor

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Feb 18, 2015
USA
I put this up on my Facebook a few weeks ago. The future of drive thru shopping at Wal-Mart. Really???? Sorry, but how lazy are we getting? No wonder we are the fattest on the planet, lol .

http://www.forbes.com/sites/retailw...-through-grocery-concept-is-a-head-scratcher/

I was at Wal-Mart Labs last year with a client and you should see what is going on as far as new technology in shopping. They had actual mock up concepts with lockers to go with shoppycat. Thought I was in a time warp!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Wal-Mart Vendor

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Feb 18, 2015
USA
Btw...we are lucky if Wal-Mart shoppers get out of their pajamas to go into stores. Now they will do the drive -up in commando. :woot:

Glorydog

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 8, 2015
Northwest Arkansas
I put this up on my Facebook a few weeks ago. The future of drive thru shopping at Wal-Mart. Really???? Sorry, but how lazy are we getting? No wonder we are the fattest on the planet, lol .

http://www.forbes.com/sites/retailw...-through-grocery-concept-is-a-head-scratcher/

I was at Wal-Mart Labs last year with a client and you should see what is going on as far as new technology in shopping. They had actual mock up concepts with lockers to go with shoppycat. Thought I was in a time warp!
I live in the area where Walmart was founded and Head Quarters are set up. We've already seen the drive thru shopping. What you do is you either call in or order on a mobile app, they take your order, and you come through and pick it up. Pretty cool if you ask me!

Another thing we have here that I'm not sure exists in other areas is WalMart gas stations. They're like regular gas stations, but with lower gas prices and everything in the station is at WalMart prices, it isn't ridiculously over priced like many gas stations.

Wal-Mart Vendor

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Feb 18, 2015
USA
I live in the area where Walmart was founded and Head Quarters are set up. We've already seen the drive thru shopping. What you do is you either call in or order on a mobile app, they take your order, and you come through and pick it up. Pretty cool if you ask me!

Another thing we have here that I'm not sure exists in other areas is WalMart gas stations. They're like regular gas stations, but with lower gas prices and everything in the station is at WalMart prices, it isn't ridiculously over priced like many gas stations.

@Glorydog we have the gas stations here in Oklahoma too.

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana

This kind of thing is exactly why I think Wal*Mart will win out over Amazon in the long term. I would use that grocery pickup, heck I've been trying to think for years of how to do something like that so food/groceries/whatever is ready to go when you get there. Wal*Mart has the logistics and infrastructure to make same-day pickup of online orders a reality (at least in many places). What's Amazon offering? Drone delivery!

One of the main reasons to drive down to Wal*Mart and get something is so you don't have to wait for Amazon delivery. If Wal*Mart executes well they could gain a fatal competitive advantage here.

Glorydog

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 8, 2015
Northwest Arkansas
This kind of thing is exactly why I think Wal*Mart will win out over Amazon in the long term. I would use that grocery pickup, heck I've been trying to think for years of how to do something like that so food/groceries/whatever is ready to go when you get there. Wal*Mart has the logistics and infrastructure to make same-day pickup of online orders a reality (at least in many places). What's Amazon offering? Drone delivery!

One of the main reasons to drive down to Wal*Mart and get something is so you don't have to wait for Amazon delivery. If Wal*Mart executes well they could gain a fatal competitive advantage here.
I like a lot of your points. I've been thinking that Walmart is the ultimate company for years. They just continue to expand their horizons to places many other companies won't or can't. Many people complain about Walmart for whatever reason. The fact is this: WalMart started as a tiny store about 60 years ago and expanded to become one of the biggest companies in the world. Taking over their industry was not good enough for them, however. Now they're reinventing the wheel and even started to expand to other industries, like gas stations. I don't expect Walmart to stop looking for new ways to change the game anytime soon.

hestati

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jan 14, 2014
San Diego, Cali
I think Walmart will kill Amazon one day. Already, prices on walmart.com are generally cheaper than Amazon. Amazon has numerous warehouses? Walmart has stores all over the place. Btw, did Amazon ever make money, or is it all about growth?

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
Btw, did Amazon ever make money, or is it all about growth?

They just launched 1-hour delivery in Houston. They've either solved the logistics, or are just burning money to keep up appearances. Considering they're pitching drones as a serious delivery solution I'm going with answer #2.

Anyone remember Kozmo?

hestati

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jan 14, 2014
San Diego, Cali
I was always wondering how they can do it. They do not store everything in every single warehouse. With FBA they sometimes ask you to ship to NY from CA and then your buyer is in CA, guess what, it comes back. I guess they do 1 hour on very few, very popular items?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.