The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Using IndieGoGo To Launch a Health & Fitness Supplement

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Keegan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Oct 28, 2014
Apologies for the length of this post, my vision of this thread is that it will be a detailed documentation of my “journey”, so I got a little carried away with the word count :D

First, let me introduce myself…

My name’s Keegan, I’m a 20 year old University dropout and my primary goal is to be running my own business, profiting at least $100,000 per year, by the end of 2015.

Why have I created this thread?

So, over the past 3 years, I have been a habitual lurker of many various internet forums. A serial taker, scraping all the information I could from these sites and giving nothing in return. This thread marks the beginning of my personal requital. The repayment of everything I have ever learned online through the documentation of my entrepreneurial journey. I hope this thread will inspire, teach and at the least entertain anyone and everyone who reads it.

The second reason I have started this thread (a reason that is very apparent to me in this moment) is that writing is hard… And, like anything, the only way i’m going to get better at it is through practice. What better way to practice than on you guys ;)

Lastly, I believe that success manifests itself in the positive actions we take and that my contribution and exposure on The Fastlane Forum can only attract further opportunities in my life and in the lives of others. Alright, let’s do this!

The Story of Keegan

(Skip this section if you want to get to the business side of things)

This is my backstory from the last couple of years.

At the end of 2013 I applied for one year of leave from the Commerce and Business course I was enrolled in at University. It wasn’t that I didn’t like the course or I was failing. I just wasn’t “feeling it”. I didn’t know what I wanted out of it and I’m not someone that can stick to something unless it has a compelling end in sight.

So, I went out and found a full time job. My intention was to work for a year and then travel using the savings I had built. Work was good, I was learning new stuff every day and managed to build some great friendships. However, after 2 months of doing the same thing week in and week out (retail argh!), learning everything I could, and realising that there was a reason that the majority of people working there were only offered part time jobs when I got a full time position with absolutely no experience (hint: they’re not the best “thinkers”) I began to get agitated… Not agitated in the sense of being “twitchy”, just bored with life, unfulfilled.

When I wasn’t working, I was reading self development and business related books (just because I had an interest in them, I didn’t have any intention to take action on what I was learning about at that stage. I was just acquiring knowledge.) That was my life, just treading water, waiting until I had saved enough money to go back to University and simultaneously travel overseas…

But, as luck would have it, an opportunity arose.

Late, one Saturday afternoon, I ran into some guys I had met almost a year earlier when I was training Brazilian Jui Jitsu. We caught up. I told them what I had been doing, that I had taken leave from University to earn some money and that I was going to travel when I went back to Uni. One of the guys, Damien, asked me what I had planned for after University.

“Well, I think I want to start my own business. I don’t know what that business would be relating to, but I just know I don’t want to be working for anyone other than myself.”

Then, Damien told me about “The Millionaire Fastlane ”. (I believe that this one moment. This one suggestion, is the marking point in which my life completely changed direction and when I am a multi-millionaire who has reached his highest dreams of success I will point to that moment.)

Later that weekend I purchased “The Millionaire Fastlane ” ebook and started reading it. What can I say? I think to say I was inspired would be an understatement… I was absolutely riveted with excitement throughout every chapter. There was just something about the Fastlane idea that resonated with me and I knew that it was the path I was created to follow!

So I finished “The Millionaire Fastlane ” in about 3 days and hit Damien up with a text message to meet and discuss what I had learned from the book. This meeting lead to many more meetings which turned into mentor sessions where Damien would suggest books for me to read, courses to take and things to learn. We’d talk about goals and visions, and he’d quiz me on the actions I had taken since the last time we met. This was great because it kept me accountable and focused on learning and taking action. I owe a lot to Damien for taking the time to help me, thanks man ;)

Anyway, jumping forward to where I am now and the important part of this progress thread!

After about 4 months of me learning and taking action, however random and undirected it was (like hiring a virtual assistant who probably thought I was crazy because I had her researching and working on a different idea every week). Damien and his business partner Jordan, seeing some sort of potential in me, offered me an opportunity that I am grateful for every day.

They had a product idea which they had previously validated, that had only now become doable because they had, by chance, found a manufacturer who could produce the product. However, as it happened, they were too busy to take the project on as just the two of them, because they are involved with other commitments. So, they offered for me to work with them and help make the project a success. Being keen to learn and recognising this as the best and fastest way to learn (taking action with the assistance and guidance of experienced entrepreneurs), I jumped at the opportunity.

This thread is the journey of a young entrepreneur, and the mistakes and successes of turning an idea into a profitable product.

Our Unique Pre-Workout Supplement

- The product we have designed is a pre-workout nasal spray.

We have created a prototype by buying ingredients online, making a mixture and then testing it on ourselves. It works!

Now we are waiting on our manufacturer to send us through a sample they have created so we can make sure their version works.

Using IndieGoGo to Fund the Initial Order

We have decided to use crowd funding to raise capital for our initial order. We chose this route because it lowers the risk of the project (we don’t have to put a large amount of our own money into it), we also feel that blogs and fitness “celebrities” (like those on Instagram) are more inclined to promote an IndieGoGo campaign than just a new supplement (however unique it is) if we were to straight up launch using our own eCommerce site.

Why not Kickstarter?

Kickstarter was the first crowd funding platform we considered, however, because our product is related to some items on the prohibited product list and we didn’t want to risk having the declined, or even worse, pulled after it had launched!

Campaign Progress

So far we have spent majority of the time planning the campaign, researching and validating different methods that we will use to promote the campaign just prior to and after launch.

We plan to promote the campaign using a number of different methods;

Reaching out to popular Instagram users
Fitness blogs
FB pages
Building an email list from people who visit our products landing page

I’m not sure if I’ve missed anything important, but I will be updating the thread once a week as well as answering any questions when I can. Please, feel free to offer any suggestions or advice and I hope everyone who reads this thread learns just as much as I do writing it :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

mars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Feb 19, 2014
New Jersey
Congrats on taking action my man.

How are you going to persuade ppl in the fitness community to start using a pre-workout that is a nasal spray. Generally a decent pre-workout has the basic citruline, beta alanine, amino acids and creatine. Easily enough to drop in some water and sip headed to the gym.

How does taking it through your nasal spray affect the bodies ability to absorb it?

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Good luck, will be interested in your experiments and results regarding the campaign promotion.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Ahhh yes, don't want to risk your own money, so just risk other people's hard earned money.

Great way to set up business on other people's dime. -_-

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Ahhh yes, don't want to risk your own money, so just risk other people's hard earned money.

Yes it a great way to raise capital but also equally important is it is an excellent way of validating an idea/product. I am more interested in how you intend to game IndieGoGo not the fact you are using it. I think we all understand the benefits of crowd sourcing.

Point of note: From an ethical standpoint I don't see crowd sourcing as a way to risk other people money over your own. If you have done your homework there should be no risk to the customer whatsoever. They are paying you upfront for a product and trusting you to follow through. It's your responsibility to ensure they get what they paid for and I for one would not even consider a campaign if I couldn't deliver on it. That's fraud in my book.

I'm sure you didn't mean to come across that way and you are an ethical person, however your statement might need some clarification as it can easily be misconstrued.

Keegan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Oct 28, 2014
Congrats on taking action my man.

How are you going to persuade ppl in the fitness community to start using a pre-workout that is a nasal spray. Generally a decent pre-workout has the basic citruline, beta alanine, amino acids and creatine. Easily enough to drop in some water and sip headed to the gym.

How does taking it through your nasal spray affect the bodies ability to absorb it?

Thanks heaps man! I appreciate the reply

The main advantages of our product are;

- That it is a lot more convenient to carry with you (especially if you are coming straight from work) than a tub of pre-workout and a protein shaker. Portability.
- Nasal Insufflation leads to a faster uptake because our unique formula absorbs directly into the bloodstream through the mucous membrane of the sinus cavity. This means faster activation of the pre-workout in comparison to traditional pre-workouts which use the "slower" digestive system.
- Earlier comedown onset. This means that the effects of the pre-workout will have calmed down enough, that after a night gym session you can head home and go to sleep, unlike other pre-workouts which keep you awake until 3am that night!

- Keegan

Keegan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Oct 28, 2014
Yes it a great way to raise capital but also equally important is it is an excellent way of validating an idea/product. I am more interested in how you intend to game IndieGoGo not the fact you are using it. I think we all understand the benefits of crowd sourcing.

Point of note: From an ethical standpoint I don't see crowd sourcing as a way to risk other people money over your own. If you have done your homework there should be no risk to the customer whatsoever. They are paying you upfront for a product and trusting you to follow through. It's your responsibility to ensure they get what they paid for and I for one would not even consider a campaign if I couldn't deliver on it. That's fraud in my book.

I'm sure you didn't mean to come across that way and you are an ethical person, however your statement might need some clarification as it can easily be misconstrued.

Yep, you nailed it! Thanks

So just to clarify;

We aren't using IndieGoGo to pass the risk from ourselves onto our funders. That doesn't make sense. If the project isn't successful, everyone who has supported the campaign will be refunded their money. IndieGoGo is really just a presale platform for us, where we can fund the initial order and validate the product at the same time!

JackWood

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jan 27, 2014
I actually really like this idea. I often am in a rush to head to the gym or come from work and would love to be able to keep a spray in my car. And if the comedown is as you describe then that would be a definite advantage. I would definitely be a customer!

G

GuestUser113

GfIy3OA.gif

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK
Firstly, I'm in the supplement field too.
Secondly, the ingredients that are in a preworkout I would not like to intake through my nose. Also how many sprays is someone going to need for it to take effect with the right dosages?

Thirdly, if it's a nasal spray why do you need to know what it tastes like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keegan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Oct 28, 2014
Firstly, I'm in the supplement field too.
Secondly, the ingredients that are in a preworkout I would not like to intake through my nose. Also how many sprays is someone going to need for it to take effect with the right dosages?

Thirdly, if it's a nasal spray why do you need to know what it tastes like?

Awesome man! Thanks for the reply :)

I completely agree with your concerns about putting regular pre-workout ingredients into a nasal spray. However, our formula is unique and we are confident about it's safety.

Appropriate dosage will be approximately 4 sprays, with 30 servings per body.

We don't need to know what it tastes like, I'm not sure why I wrote that...

Tony|Outwork Co.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jan 2, 2016
California
Apologies for the length of this post, my vision of this thread is that it will be a detailed documentation of my “journey”, so I got a little carried away with the word count :D

First, let me introduce myself…

My name’s Keegan, I’m a 20 year old University dropout and my primary goal is to be running my own business, profiting at least $100,000 per year, by the end of 2015.

Why have I created this thread?

So, over the past 3 years, I have been a habitual lurker of many various internet forums. A serial taker, scraping all the information I could from these sites and giving nothing in return. This thread marks the beginning of my personal requital. The repayment of everything I have ever learned online through the documentation of my entrepreneurial journey. I hope this thread will inspire, teach and at the least entertain anyone and everyone who reads it.

The second reason I have started this thread (a reason that is very apparent to me in this moment) is that writing is hard… And, like anything, the only way i’m going to get better at it is through practice. What better way to practice than on you guys ;)

Lastly, I believe that success manifests itself in the positive actions we take and that my contribution and exposure on The Fastlane Forum can only attract further opportunities in my life and in the lives of others. Alright, let’s do this!

The Story of Keegan

(Skip this section if you want to get to the business side of things)

This is my backstory from the last couple of years.

At the end of 2013 I applied for one year of leave from the Commerce and Business course I was enrolled in at University. It wasn’t that I didn’t like the course or I was failing. I just wasn’t “feeling it”. I didn’t know what I wanted out of it and I’m not someone that can stick to something unless it has a compelling end in sight.

So, I went out and found a full time job. My intention was to work for a year and then travel using the savings I had built. Work was good, I was learning new stuff every day and managed to build some great friendships. However, after 2 months of doing the same thing week in and week out (retail argh!), learning everything I could, and realising that there was a reason that the majority of people working there were only offered part time jobs when I got a full time position with absolutely no experience (hint: they’re not the best “thinkers”) I began to get agitated… Not agitated in the sense of being “twitchy”, just bored with life, unfulfilled.

When I wasn’t working, I was reading self development and business related books (just because I had an interest in them, I didn’t have any intention to take action on what I was learning about at that stage. I was just acquiring knowledge.) That was my life, just treading water, waiting until I had saved enough money to go back to University and simultaneously travel overseas…

But, as luck would have it, an opportunity arose.

Late, one Saturday afternoon, I ran into some guys I had met almost a year earlier when I was training Brazilian Jui Jitsu. We caught up. I told them what I had been doing, that I had taken leave from University to earn some money and that I was going to travel when I went back to Uni. One of the guys, Damien, asked me what I had planned for after University.

“Well, I think I want to start my own business. I don’t know what that business would be relating to, but I just know I don’t want to be working for anyone other than myself.”

Then, Damien told me about “The Millionaire Fastlane ”. (I believe that this one moment. This one suggestion, is the marking point in which my life completely changed direction and when I am a multi-millionaire who has reached his highest dreams of success I will point to that moment.)

Later that weekend I purchased “The Millionaire Fastlane ” ebook and started reading it. What can I say? I think to say I was inspired would be an understatement… I was absolutely riveted with excitement throughout every chapter. There was just something about the Fastlane idea that resonated with me and I knew that it was the path I was created to follow!

So I finished “The Millionaire Fastlane ” in about 3 days and hit Damien up with a text message to meet and discuss what I had learned from the book. This meeting lead to many more meetings which turned into mentor sessions where Damien would suggest books for me to read, courses to take and things to learn. We’d talk about goals and visions, and he’d quiz me on the actions I had taken since the last time we met. This was great because it kept me accountable and focused on learning and taking action. I owe a lot to Damien for taking the time to help me, thanks man ;)

Anyway, jumping forward to where I am now and the important part of this progress thread!

After about 4 months of me learning and taking action, however random and undirected it was (like hiring a virtual assistant who probably thought I was crazy because I had her researching and working on a different idea every week). Damien and his business partner Jordan, seeing some sort of potential in me, offered me an opportunity that I am grateful for every day.

They had a product idea which they had previously validated, that had only now become doable because they had, by chance, found a manufacturer who could produce the product. However, as it happened, they were too busy to take the project on as just the two of them, because they are involved with other commitments. So, they offered for me to work with them and help make the project a success. Being keen to learn and recognising this as the best and fastest way to learn (taking action with the assistance and guidance of experienced entrepreneurs), I jumped at the opportunity.

This thread is the journey of a young entrepreneur, and the mistakes and successes of turning an idea into a profitable product.

Our Unique Pre-Workout Supplement

- The product we have designed is a pre-workout nasal spray.

We have created a prototype by buying ingredients online, making a mixture and then testing it on ourselves. It works!

Now we are waiting on our manufacturer to send us through a sample they have created so we can make sure their version works.

Using IndieGoGo to Fund the Initial Order

We have decided to use crowd funding to raise capital for our initial order. We chose this route because it lowers the risk of the project (we don’t have to put a large amount of our own money into it), we also feel that blogs and fitness “celebrities” (like those on Instagram) are more inclined to promote an IndieGoGo campaign than just a new supplement (however unique it is) if we were to straight up launch using our own eCommerce site.

Why not Kickstarter?

Kickstarter was the first crowd funding platform we considered, however, because our product is related to some items on the prohibited product list and we didn’t want to risk having the declined, or even worse, pulled after it had launched!

Campaign Progress

So far we have spent majority of the time planning the campaign, researching and validating different methods that we will use to promote the campaign just prior to and after launch.

We plan to promote the campaign using a number of different methods;

Reaching out to popular Instagram users
Fitness blogs
FB pages
Building an email list from people who visit our products landing page

I’m not sure if I’ve missed anything important, but I will be updating the thread once a week as well as answering any questions when I can. Please, feel free to offer any suggestions or advice and I hope everyone who reads this thread learns just as much as I do writing it :)

Great story- action above all else! I also have an idea that I want to crowdfund on Kickstarter. Mine is still in the early stages of development so I'll be keeping an eye on your progress!

Good luck,
Tony | Outwork Company

Tony|Outwork Co.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jan 2, 2016
California
Awesome man! Thanks for the reply :)

I completely agree with your concerns about putting regular pre-workout ingredients into a nasal spray. However, our formula is unique and we are confident about it's safety.

Appropriate dosage will be approximately 4 sprays, with 30 servings per body.

We don't need to know what it tastes like, I'm not sure why I wrote that...

I'm not one to personally disregard an idea but personally I like to drink my preworkout. I don't even like pills. The act of drinking it for some reason motivates me and helps to put me into the "mindset" to workout. I even keep a little watered down to drink while I'm working out. Just a thought for you...

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016
Hang on: "unique formula" "tested it on ourselves and it works" "safety"

You will need to explain to me. How is your nasal spray safe. Where is your research? What makes you believe that it's healthy. How does it compare to a placebo which probably contributed much to your effect. Dosage 4, why 4 why not 2 or 10? There are good reasons not to spray a supplement and a huge amount of scepticism since I don't know what's in it. Please elaborate.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.