The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Unsure/ negative thoughts

Anything related to matters of the mind

NerdAtCoolTable

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jul 20, 2014
Hi

I have started buying and reselling items on eBay.

I've done $1300 this past month.

Here is where my mindset is having issues. I am currently living with family and putting most of my attention on reselling while I teach myself skills in IT.

Sometimes I feel I should have a job and doing this leads to nowhere.

Even though I'm doing decent I have negative thoughts a lot of time.

I'm 26 years old and it just gets to me when I'm out in social settings and everyone is taking about their jobs and I'm reselling retro video games.

Could just be my insecurities and doubting myself

I am not sure what I am asking but I'd like to know if any of you also feel this way.

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

forchunet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jul 6, 2013
F*ck people with jobs. freedom to do what you want is the only currency you should care about.

unless you want one yourself, comparing yourself to people with jobs is useless. stop doing it.

Last edited:

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
Turn your unsureness and negative thoughts into motivation. Turn them into absolutes. "Am I doing enough? Am I using all of my freetime on my business" into "I'm not doing as much as I can. I have freetime I use not on my business. I'm not where I want to be and I am going to change to achieve my goals"

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
I would think that's pretty good for starters. :)

Sure, but the problem is his mindset right now is thinking about opportunity cost. $1,300 a month (I don't know his exact time spent, thats important as well) would translate to $15,600 a year. That's okay, but not compared to a $60k 9-5er that pays $5,000 a month. With a mindset like that, if he gets complacent and says "Yeah, $1300 is good for starters" he will start to spend more and more time thinking "wow when will I ever close that opportunity cost" and eventually quit and get the job. But if he goes in with the mindset of "I am in control of my life, I will make it happen", he will start to increase sales, use that reselling money to branch out and go Fastlane (Whether it is Fastlane-ing that business or going into something else that satifies CENTS), etc. etc.

Mindsets are important and they are different for each person. In my opinion, someone that sees very negatively does not respond well to the "You're doing fine, keep going!" strategy, because they are obviously seeing it realistically or pessimistically. $1300 a month isn't much of a liveable wage. He sees that, so saying "That's a fine amount of money" gives him no incentive. But if he is shown that he can take that $1300 a month and with some more/different effort, some new skills, etc., he can grow, he will eventually grow.

One more piece of advice for OP: While you're re-selling, you should use free time to study copywriting (This will improve your sales!) and use those skills to freelance. So you can use your free time that comes with buying/reselling and spend it on freelancing & learning copy to keep bringing in money. Also explore options to expand and seek to meet CENTS or seek different businesses that meet CENTS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Mindsets are important and they are different for each person. In my opinion, someone that sees very negatively does not respond well to the "You're doing fine, keep going!" strategy, because they are obviously seeing it realistically or pessimistically. $1300 a month isn't much of a liveable wage. He sees that, so saying "That's a fine amount of money" gives him no incentive. But if he is shown that he can take that $1300 a month and with some more/different effort, some new skills, etc., he can grow, he will eventually grow.

That's very true. Mindset has to be right from the start. I don't think I was implying he'd be fine, just know a lot of other people with part time jobs not even make an that and having to work three part time jobs to pay bills. And living with parents didn't really tell you much about where he's at financially to begin with or what jobs he's comparing it to, or circumstances. So, you can't really draw to much information he's given. We can assume where he's at from your point of view or mine. lol

Waisec

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Feb 6, 2014
Estonia
I tell girls/new people I meet I sell drugs, cos I can't be arsed explaining what I really do

http://markmanson.net/not-giving-a-F*ck

NerdAtCoolTable

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jul 20, 2014
I only have $700 a month in bills.

$400 to family for rent and $300to cover phone, insurance , gas

I am able to cover those with what I am doing. It's just hard seeing my peers with their 60-80k jobs and trying to relate with them.

It does feel better when I see them on a Sunday and they start complaining about having to go to work in the morning.

I need to put in more effort and take this adventure more seriously, instead of just a means to get by.

I appreciate all the replies in this thread.

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
Remember, YOU are the vehicle to success. Be self-motivated. $700/month, so $600 left over to reinvest. Cut out the crap (Unnecessary expenses to your money AND TIME) in your life. I feel like you are on a good path if you truly, truly want it. Good luck to ya.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
It's just hard seeing my peers with their 60-80k jobs and trying to relate with them.
In no way, shape or form should you be trying to relate to sitting 8+ hours in the cubicle and taking orders from some middle manager. This is a forbidden act on this forum, that shall lead you to the dreaded
SLOWLANE

Zl1996

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Mar 25, 2015
I think that the reason you feel the way that you do has nothing to do with the manner through which you make money, nor the amount that you are making. I think it has to do with the fact that you are still living with your parents (I do to, I'm working on that XD). If you were living on your own, in your own place, while reselling on eBay and being your own person, I think you would feel much more self-fulfilled. I think it would also give you a good kick-in-the-a$$ to get out of your parents house. MJ starting to succeed whenever he moved out and away from home. I think the same circumstances would force you to succeed.

Good luck.

NerdAtCoolTable

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jul 20, 2014
To allude to the post above. I've been thinking about picking up a slow lane job so I am able to get my own place while I grow my business.

I do believe being on my own would do wonders for me.

Thanks

TheSilverSpoon

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
309%
Nov 4, 2013
If you were doing $1300 a day would you still feel the same way?

If yes... Dig down deep and find out why you feel that way

If no... Simply sell more.

Selling more usually solves most problems :)

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wouldn't worry about it, it's pretty normal as you test breaking the rules that everyone else is following. You are feeling what it's like to be different.

As I see it, you're flexing your entrepreneurial muscles doing what you're doing. That's better than nothing. As soon as you give in, and get that cushy $50K/year job, that entrepreneur muscle will atrophy and die. And the likelihood of you ever becoming an entrepreneur probably goes down to slim and none once you get a taste for job inspired velvety mediocrity.

doncruz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
May 14, 2014
Mexico
Recipe for Getting the Right Mindset.
First step,
Add Reading the Book, (Millionaire Fastlane )
Add at the same time " the ten days freedom challenge by Ryan Moran a " (google that).
Thank me later.;)

Change your peer group to a like minded group like this and enjoy.

Last edited:

NerdAtCoolTable

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jul 20, 2014
Wouldn't worry about it, it's pretty normal as you test breaking the rules that everyone else is following. You are feeling what it's like to be different.

I've always felt different than my peers but now I am actually acting on it.

Does this outcast feeling go away ?

NerdAtCoolTable

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jul 20, 2014
Recipe for Getting the Right Mindset.
First step,
Add Reading the Book, (Millionaire Fastlane )
Add at the same time " the ten days freedom challenge by Ryan Moran a " (google that).
Thank me later.;)

Change your peer group to a like minded group like this and enjoy.

Read the book last year while I was working graveyard job. Doing physical work. It paid decent but I wanted a way out.

I eventually got injured on the job and once I was healed I quit. Without knowing what I was gonna do but I took the plunge.

Gave up my own place , going out on weekends.

I honestly feel healthier not being there and making 1/3 less doing reselling.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

doncruz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
May 14, 2014
Mexico
Does this outcast feeling go away?

Would a tiger ever feel well pretending is a sheep?
You were born free and like hunting your own dinner.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.