The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

UK First Time Buyer: Interested In Living Rent Free Thread.

Joe Davies

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 23, 2014
Hi guys,

This is my first post here. I've been lurking ever since I read the book around a month ago.

I have my own 'slow-ish' lane business, I'm working to turn it fast lane, aswell as other opportunities.

Recently I have saved enough money for a house deposit. I'm currently renting...

Now, I'm not entirely sure I want to settle into a house etc. I'm quite happy renting, and have even considered traveling.

I have read the 'living rent free thread' and can't seem to make sense of it, I'm from UK and there's quite a bit of US terminology in there.

I'm looking for advice on what you think would be a good move in my position?

Buy to let a property (try to make as much as possible on it)
Simply buy a property, move in to it (better than paying rent, dead money etc)
Other options?

Thanks for the help.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LTL

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Jul 16, 2012
It is buy to let but with 4 units....You live in one free because your tenants pay the mortgage and you keep a small monthly surplus

Unfortunately for you U.K. lenders are clamping down on the 5% deposit mortgage to cool the property market

The good news is rates are at an all time low but you'd still need HMO paperwork (Housing Multiple Occupants) and be a live in landlord....

There is another way to do it creatively but.... You can research it or PM me

Joe Davies

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 23, 2014
Hey cool cheers

Buy to let deposits are usually a lot more here too (30-40%) which doesn't bother me too much either, I just don't know where to look to find such properties??

I'll PM you, appreciate it.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Im not sure if this would work but it is a possibility to consider. Im only surmising but if your a first time buyer why dont you take advantage of the first time buyer scheme? Possibly get a better mortgage rate or it may have advantages in other areas.

Good luck

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Patchwork Girl

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 10, 2014
You could get one or two lodgers if you bought a 2/3 bed (tax free up to a £4250 a year I think - check the rent-a-room scheme). It's a much more flexible arrangement than letting to tenants and might be the best of both worlds if you don't mind sharing your living space?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.