The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

This WILL Cause your Bank Account to Go to $0..

Anything related to matters of the mind

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
@MJ DeMarco wrote an interesting post in a thread about the SCARCITY mindset
Once you get control over spending, the problem is not a saving issue, but an income issue.

When I see people fretting over $20K in debt, it means they still have a scarcity mindset. I make more than that in one month. When I owned a company, I earned nearly 10X more. Now coming from that perspective, an income one, would $20K in debt be a big problem? Nope. It'd be paid in a month or two. In fact, my credit card bill, which I pay off every month, was greater than $10K. Do I let it roll? NOPE. I pay it all off. How? Because I'm not focused on skimping lattes and cutting cable channels, I'm focused on INCOME.

EXPLODING INCOME is offense and its how you swim to victory.
EXPENSE CUTTING is defense and its how you tread water and stay afloat in a pool of mediocrity.

To give a fitness analogy, expense cutting is like going to the gym. It makes you feel good. It can be done relatively easy with a snap decision. (I'm not going to eat out!)

Exploding income is like eating correctly, carb cutting, and sugar eliminating. It's difficult. It's the process. It requires not a daily, or a weekly commitment, but an HOURLY one. You constantly have to work at it to make it work, and yet, it's where the real meat of the results are found.

To be in the best shape of your life is about 75% what goes in your mouth, 25% gym.

With debt/wealth, 75% of it is income. 25% is expense discipline, or saving.

As for getting in the Fastlane with debt, consumers don't care about your debt situation if you have something they want.

If my house springs a huge water leak and you are selling the plug, I don't care about your personal situation or circumstances. Let me buy the damn plug.

I grew up in a family of 11 kids so money wasn't given out like candy. Thus, I've grown up with a Scarcity Mindset when it comes to money. It's weird, as I'm a usually a highly optimistic person, but ever since graduating college a couple years ago and having to start worrying about money, that's what I've done, worry about it.

It's the end of the month now and I'm constantly checking the bank account hoping to make it to next pay period. My wife and I since moving to Texas last year have almost doubled our take home pay and bills have gone up minimally, yet it's the same feeling for me every month as it was in North Carolina (where we came from), "Drat we need to tighten up, it's the end of the month dear." It's always under the gun.

It gets so bad my wife asks me if she can buy a Kindle book for $7.99.

That hurts.

I tell her, "Dear, you don't need to ask me for that." and being a great wife she'll smile and say, "just checking," but I know, deep down, she's nervous about spending the money as I've questioned her spending habits in the past.

I just started getting active on this forum a couple months ago, and have thus taken more real action (not action fakes) in that time than the past 2.5 years combined, but when it comes to money, it's always that Scarcity Mindset.

It was shuddering today: I was driving thinking about my products saying, "I know I can license some of my products to 6-7 figures. " But my scarcity mindset suddenly pulled me to earth and said, "You'd probably still stress about money everyday, it'll probably all slip through the cracks as it does now, so why bother? Remember when you moved to Texas and you thought money won't be a stress, yeah right buddy."

Scary.

The issue is we're not struggling financially, we have more than enough take home, but somewhat like in the book "Secrets of the Millionaire Mind," our "thermostat" is set to : You, Joe, will have less than $100 in your account at the end of the month. And so it is every month. I've tried the Declarations "I have a millionaire mind" and such, but the heart and soul can smell an action fake.

I read all of @IceCreamKid 's golden thread as it's largely about mindset, and I'm sure many people here will mention "Value, Gratitude" etc. What can one do daily to get out of this money scarcity mindset.? Gratitude may be a big thing, as I'm very much someone who, once I reach a goal, I don't even acknowledge it, I'm on to the next one.

I try and "FAKE IT" by catching myself and trying to see the positive light, but it doesn't seem to work. James Altucher will say, "Instead of complaining about traffic, see the abundance of cars and the awesomeness in the work that goes into making them." Everyday I sit in traffic and try to do this, but it's a fake, the gut knows it.

What do you do to get to an Abundance Mindset instead of a Scarcity? It may be what's holding you back from wealth as it does for me.

NOTE: This isn't a "I'm broke" issue, as I've mentioned, making more money didn't solve the issue. I sold some stuff on Ebay/Craigslist to make a little more, didn't matter.

NOTE2: Have read the Secrets of the Millionaire Mind and Think and Grow Rich a couple times, maybe I just need to read those until I'm sick of them, until I actually believe it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
What do you do to get to an Abundance Mindset instead of a Scarcity? It may be what's holding you back from wealth as it does for me.

I suffered from this not too long ago. Its all about re-framing your reality for a positive mindset instead of a negative one.

If I go into a situation, and I say 'I can afford to lose $1,000 on this investment', I will go in trying to lose it less slowly....
If I go into it stating 'Whats the BEST that can happen. How much can I turn this $1,000 into... you will be wired for success. It all starts inside your mind and how you view it. Reframe for the positive.

This was most strong with my mindset when it comes to approaching girls. Whenever I went into an approach thinking of the reasons why she would reject me 'overweight, lack of confidence, not the nicest closhtes, etc.' I got what my mindset asked for. Since going in focusing on what I can offer in my positive attributes, things started to turn around.

It's all in your mind.. look at things from a different angle. Also, seeing a small success opens up the door to a bigger success. When I turned $10 in to $500+ for the first time, its like flipping a switch.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,183%
Jun 8, 2010
California
What do you do to get to an Abundance Mindset instead of a Scarcity?

Hang out with people who have an abundance mentality. I cannot stress this enough. I'd say the people you spend the most time with have a greater impact on your future than anything else. You'll absorb some of their values, behaviors, characteristics, etc.

Last edited:

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
My trick is cashflow
Its a magic word to me

Instead of looking at money statically I look at it like a balloon helmet underwater with an air pipe feeding from the top.

The deeper you go, the more the air compresses and the water rises.
When your goal is to walk down the hill, like you are now, all you do is watch your air, and how much air you have affects how far you walk. Some months you walk further some shorter.

If you plot you adventures underwater long enough you'll see yourself not going further than a certain point quite regularly, and not going shorter than a certain point regularly. This is your median zone, the bell part of your cashflow bell curve.

Cashflow to me is about counter pressure, being applied at the same rate as the gradient I walk on and being aware of the pressure balance not how much air I have.

Counter pressure needs a few things
- No leaks in the apparatus
- A NON desperate walker (set and find comfort levels that are more regular within your median curve: low month, medium month, plus month. Make these have a routine)
- A steady operator
- Honesty
- A proceedure for reliable work

At the end of the month, save the excess from the kind of month you had.

Slowly tighten your process and fill with more air.
When cashflow is garunteed stable through this method you will make it further and further.

Get it stable then place bricks to build a future.

Remember, money comes and goes in BUBBLES
images
images

So don't panic

images

BUBBLES

I feel mj is saying, flood it so hardcore that you dont have to worry about bubbles when cashflow is in the higher profit range.
And he's right, its all relative.

You can either stabilise cash flow or push beyond it, but I prefer both.

Last edited:

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
Great post @RogueInnovation.

I had a bad week this week and I started getting scared about the bank account going down this week and not up. Then I remember that I am running a company, and all I have to do to fix that is to sell more stuff. Almost every day I get an email saying "we're in, we want your company to do the work." Every one of those emails mean more money in the bank.

That's the keeping your head above water. Revenue in the door. Everything can be solved with sales. There are hundreds of thousands of people within 50 miles of me, all I have to do is keep meeting them, selling them, and providing value. Money is not scarce when you force yourself to rely on yourself to replenish the bank account.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA

What I meant by that was that when you rely on yourself, and not an employer, you really change your mindset from scarcity to there are millions of people who want to give me their money. It's a powerful shift in thinking of how to increase revenue vs. how to get a better paying job.

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
I suffered from this not too long ago. Its all about re-framing your reality for a positive mindset instead of a negative one.

If I go into a situation, and I say 'I can afford to lose $1,000 on this investment', I will go in trying to lose it less slowly....
If I go into it stating 'Whats the BEST that can happen. How much can I turn this $1,000 into... you will be wired for success. It all starts inside your mind and how you view it. Reframe for the positive.

This was most strong with my mindset when it comes to approaching girls. Whenever I went into an approach thinking of the reasons why she would reject me 'overweight, lack of confidence, not the nicest closhtes, etc.' I got what my mindset asked for. Since going in focusing on what I can offer in my positive attributes, things started to turn around.

It's all in your mind.. look at things from a different angle. Also, seeing a small success opens up the door to a bigger success. When I turned $10 in to $500+ for the first time, its like flipping a switch.

Thanks Andrew, I'm guessing this is a habit that takes time to build up. Do you still struggle with it and have to catch yourself, or would you say you have an abundance mindset now?

I have periods where I feel much more positive and "abundant." But then something negative happens and it seems to compile on itself. Just last weekend, our garage door got fried from a lightning strike.

Had to replace it for $400, then the AC had problems very shortly after, another $300 gone, then there was odd smells in one of the rooms, turned out a rodent died in the attic, $450 for pest control...vortex from hell. I felt I was making some progress but something like this gets my wheels spinning the wrong direction again and thus trying to reprogram again

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
My trick is cashflow
Its a magic word to me

Instead of looking at money statically I look at it like a balloon helmet underwater with an air pipe feeding from the top.

The deeper you go, the more the air compresses and the water rises.
When your goal is to walk down the hill, like you are now, all you do is watch your air, and how much air you have affects how far you walk. Some months you walk further some shorter.

If you plot you adventures underwater long enough you'll see yourself not going further than a certain point quite regularly, and not going shorter than a certain point regularly. This is your median zone, the bell part of your cashflow bell curve.

Cashflow to me is about counter pressure, being applied at the same rate as the gradient I walk on and being aware of the pressure balance not how much air I have.

Counter pressure needs a few things
- No leaks in the apparatus
- A NON desperate walker (set and find comfort levels that are more regular within your median curve: low month, medium month, plus month. Make these have a routine)
- A steady operator
- Honesty
- A proceedure for reliable work

At the end of the month, save the excess from the kind of month you had.

Slowly tighten your process and fill with more air.
When cashflow is garunteed stable through this method you will make it further and further.

Get it stable then place bricks to build a future.

Remember, money comes and goes in BUBBLES
images
images

So don't panic

images

BUBBLES

I feel mj is saying, flood it so hardcore that you dont have to worry about bubbles when cashflow is in the higher profit range.
And he's right, its all relative.

You can either stabilise cash flow or push beyond it, but I prefer both.

I don't fully understand the underwater balloon helmet example, what I may have gathered correctly is to trust yourself and the process (thus a steady walker) and know in your gut you're going to come out cashflow positive. Money will come and go anyway so don't stress about it, pick a reliable path and the money will follow.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I wouldn't say every area of my life is an complete abundance mindset yet. I'm in the in between phase where my 'main areas' have seen a lot of progress, and some things pop up where I have to catch myself and re-frame my mind on those. Its a constant journey. I'll tell you the little secret that has helped me. One of the best phrases that I have ever heard was:

"Don't ask if it's right or wrong, ask if it's useful"

Train your mind to believe in things a different way, as long as it is useful.

But then something negative happens

^this right here is where I began. Nothing is negative. Reframe the situation to look at the positive. Pretend the negative doesn't exist. The most extreme example was when I was talking to someone and she said her younger brother got cancer at age 7. She was emotional when she told me. I told her that it is amazing that, going through his treatment, it brought her family closer together (she moved from another city to be back home) and that when he made it through 100% and is healthy now, she is now looked up at THAT much more from her brother from helping out and has a great relationship with him. That was the hardest reframe I had to do yet.

Had to replace it for $400, then the AC had problems very shortly after, another $300 gone, then there was odd smells in one of the rooms, turned out a rodent died in the attic, $450 for pest control...vortex from hell. I felt I was making some progress but something like this gets my wheels spinning the wrong direction again and thus trying to reprogram again

I just typed out my reframing of the positive on this situation.. but i'll let you do it to get some practice. Reframe all 3 of these examples for the positive, and you'll see a shift.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
Thanks Andrew, I'm guessing this is a habit that takes time to build up. Do you still struggle with it and have to catch yourself, or would you say you have an abundance mindset now?

I have periods where I feel much more positive and "abundant." But then something negative happens and it seems to compile on itself. Just last weekend, our garage door got fried from a lightning strike.

AndrewNC is giving you some great advice and I'm sure you see this, I just wanted to affirm it.

Every obstacle has an equal or greater seed of opportunity within it. - Napoleon Hill

It's all about how you look at things. I admit it's not easy all the time. But neither is building your own business or getting in shape. But the struggles and how we deal with them are what separate us from the rest of the world.

Here's two ways I deal with situations like that and I hope they can help you.

1st) Be Grateful. For example your garage door needed to get repaired, it happens. Instead of seeing as it a problem I see a great opportunity to be grateful.
Sit down with a legal pad and your favorite pen (I'm a pen person) and start writing things you're grateful for, trust me it helps.

So yes your garage door needed repairing BUT you could follow it with things like this
- I am grateful I was able to afford to have it fixed exactly when it needed to be
- I am grateful I have a house with a garage, most people don't and it's a great thing to have
- I am grateful that my cars are safe from thieves, hailstorms, and that I don't have to walk into the cold or heat to get into my car.

2nd) See the positive.
Against get a legal pad, draw a line down the middle.
on the left write the "bad" thing that occured
on the right side write the benefit of the event, every event has one, you just have to search for it.

And don't think I'm just trying to give you a pep talk I'm using this on a daily basis when things don't go my way, it really helps reframe it to a more positive mindset.

For example in our business over the last 6 months we had at least 4 BIG events that seemed terrible and really put the brakes on what we were doing. Now I could have fret over them. But I took my journal and did steps one and two. Guess what? Because of those "bad" events I took a step back re-evaulted what we were doing and refocused on a better path to the same objective. The new path costs us less overhead, makes a more stable and continuous income, and is actually easier to build than what I was doing to begin with.

After this I wrote that I was grateful that these events happened and even grateful to one person in particular whose choices led to one large issue in particular. If he hadn't acted in a selfish manner I wouldn't have been able to see a new opportunity and go grab it! So even if that person never knows, I'm very grateful to him for his actions.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Powerful sfuff guys, thanks.

I think the trick to having an abundance mindset is practicing being grateful.

Interestingly, when you say you "want" something, you are just saying you don't have it (the definition of "want").

I am not religious at all, but that prayer about being thankful for what we are about to recieve might be onto something.

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
@AndrewNC Thanks Andrew, it's easy to see things black and white (usually black for most people), but you introduced a new thought, "Is it useful?" I'm going to try that, I actually could probably use that in other points of my life: relationship with my wife included.

Great story about your friend (stories like that makes little problems like a busted garage seem trivial :D). I woke up this morning and immediately reframed all the issues that came up, there was even one from last night. I run a meetup group for couples (over 100 couples involved). I had made reservations at a nice restaurant for 14 (14 RSVP'd). The hours leading up the meetup, 4 of the couples decided they didn't want to come anymore, without a lot of notice. Immediately, I was frustrated, pissed, all mixed up. I woke up this morning and immediately after reading your post reframed it: "There were 4 other great people I got to learn more about including some moving, personal stories. If there were 8 other people there, I wouldn't have had that opportunity to get to know these people on that level." Thanks Andrew!

@liquidglass Thanks liquid, I've heard being grateful is the key, but I appreciate the actionable steps. I am someone that likes to write things done and this might work. I woke up today and immediately listed 3-5 things I'm grateful for. Tony Robbins has some great videos I found this morning on being grateful and fully "embodying" being grateful. It'll be a process to build this habit but it's a step in the right direction.

@AndyBlack I actually never really listened to the grace I pray before meals (probably a bad thing), but the thing about "about to receive from thy bounty", you have to be willing to receive to receive it.

I'm grateful you guys took the time out to help, I know mindset is 80%, so it's great to have you guys help out :D

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think the trick to having an abundance mindset is practicing being grateful.

Not an often thing spoke of around here, but very important. Just some daily gratitude that I see myself recognizing:

A) I turn a lever and CLEAN water comes out. And I live in a desert. No matter when I turn the lever, the water comes out.

B) You "relieve yourself" in a porcelain bowl, press a button, and wham, like magic it disappears never to be seen again.And you can toss toilet paper in there! (Remember Sochi anybody?)

C) There are public buildings where you can buy every food item you could ever imagine, and you don't have to hunt it, kill it, skin it, prepare it. Or grow it. Nope, just pick something, buy it and take it home.

D) I have a little device with hundreds of books on it. And it weighs less than 1 pound. Freaking amazing.

I can go on and on, but you get the point.

NicoleMarie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
May 1, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
Not an often thing spoke of around here, but very important. Just some daily gratitude that I see myself recognizing:

A) I turn a lever and CLEAN water comes out. And I live in a desert. No matter when I turn the lever, the water comes out.

B) You "relieve yourself" in a porcelain bowl, press a button, and wham, like magic it disappears never to be seen again.And you can toss toilet paper in there! (Remember Sochi anybody?)

C) There are public buildings where you can buy every food item you could ever imagine, and you don't have to hunt it, kill it, skin it, prepare it. Or grow it. Nope, just pick something, buy it and take it home.

D) I have a little device with hundreds of books on it. And it weighs less than 1 pound. Freaking amazing.

I can go on and on, but you get the point.

This times a million. I predict that if you can be grateful for your lame car and normal house, you'll be that way when you're rich. You won't end up like one of those greedy rich people that always want more. MJ, coming from a person who's achieved that, do you still find yourself wanting a better house, car, etc.? I'm just curious to know.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
@Joe Cassandra I appreciate the kind words, honestly I'm just glad to be able to help you out. I'm not perfect in following my own advice, no one is, but I wouldn't have learned anything if others hadn't helped or pointed the way. I feel honored to be able to pass it on to someone else, it excites me that someone else is open and willing to learn and will actually do something with all the wonderful advice everyone has given you on this thread. Outside of this forum it's a rarity to find people willing to view thing introspectively and change accordingly.

PS: I'm from North Carolina, doesn't impact anything that's been said but I thought it was neat!

I woke up today and immediately listed 3-5 things I'm grateful for
That's awesome! I'm proud of you for taking action right away to better your mindset. Let me suggest a book that you absolutely won't be able to put down. Normally I try to read a few books a month but this is one that I stayed up because I literally couldn't put it down.

The Ultimate Gift - Jim Stovall

It's a fictional story that does nothing but dish out life lessons and mindset lessons throughout it in actionable bite size pieces. I'm not usually one to recommend anything that contains fiction, but it's purely a medium to deliver the points of the book in an easy to understand and engaging way.

It teaches you about the Golden List, which I think you'd find particularly helpful in remaining grateful ( I know it helped me when times were tough!)

The Author practices what he writes, which is why it should hit home. He's a champion olympic weight lifter, emmy winner, oh and I should mention he's now totally blind. (it was a gradual loss of sight from his teenage years) but he continue to talk about being grateful and practicing it on a daily basis, if he can do it, you definitely can!

If you're not grateful for what you already have then you can never gain more.

rcdlopez

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Nov 12, 2012
Los Angeles
Very few people actually give the advice I'm about to give you. But I believe you can handle it.

The way you feel is absolutely normal. I don't think there is a single person in the world who has never doubted themselves at least a few times in their lives. Also I am sure that there has never been a person alive who has never been in a depressing or stressing situation. This happens to EVERYONE, not even Jesus was immune to it.

What does that mean? It means that you don't always have to be in a positive, excited, grateful, or "millionaire" mindset. If your gut feeling is telling you something, I suggest you listen to it and not ignore it. The unconscious brain thinks much faster that your conscious brain. It senses danger way before your conscious brains does. It HAS A USE and therefore SHOULD be listened to! I don't understand why people choose to suppress their feelings, all it does is breed confusion and delay the finding of the real problem.

I agree with IceCreamKid in that you should surround yourself with people who have abundance mindset. This will help shape your own thinking as well as feelings about abundance. However, whenever you feel like things suck and they aren't going well, you shouldn't ignore those feelings and run off to read motivational stuff to get yourself "right" again. Take in those feelings and allow yourself to examine them, without letting them consume you. Think of them as a hostage situation. Don't fight them, don't ignore them, be calm, cooperative and hear out their demands; Only then will they leave you alone.

There is always a reason why you feel a certain way, we will never know your true situation so we can never really offer a true solution for you. Only you can figure out why you feel that way. F*ck all this law of attraction, be grateful 24/7 crap and millionaire mind shit. Don't pressure yourself to be happy because happiness doesn't come that way.

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
Having a mindset for abundance is one of the most important traits to have in fastlane. the shortcut to achieving this is gratitude

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
@liquidglass I'll definitely pick that book up, I'm not much of a fiction reader. I should read more fiction, I heard it helps with creativity when you mix up the stuff you read as I just read non-fiction

@Joe Cassandra
If you're not grateful for what you already have then you can never gain more.

This is what I've heard, for me it's more I gain more, but I'll still end up the same (stretched) at the end of the month. Like I mentioned, we've doubled our take home pay with minimal bills increasing and still the end of the month rolls around and we're stretched. It's like a sand sifter, no matter how much sand you pile on it, it'll all slip the holes at some point. We don't spend lavishly on anything, I drive a basis Kia Rio and we live modestly [thus I don't feel like I have a Sidewalk mentality, but reading this you may think we spend like a Sidewalker].

I know some people rag on the "Secrets of the Millionaire Mind" as some of it is pretty guru goop [putting your hand on your heart and yelling out 'I have a millionaire mind' etc.], but when he talks about your "Thermostat" as in "If your thermostat is set for 100k, no matter how much you gain or lose, you'll always end up back to 100k." With me, I feel like "No matter how much I gain or even lose, every month I'll be back to $100." Pinching pennies can only do so much, I feel this is definitely a Scarcity Mindset issue.

What does that mean? It means that you don't always have to be in a positive, excited, grateful, or "millionaire" mindset. If your gut feeling is telling you something, I suggest you listen to it and not ignore it. I don't understand why people choose to suppress their feelings, all it does is breed confusion and delay the finding of the real problem.

However, whenever you feel like things suck and they aren't going well, you shouldn't ignore those feelings and run off to read motivational stuff to get yourself "right" again. Take in those feelings and allow yourself to examine them, without letting them consume you. Think of them as a hostage situation. Don't fight them, don't ignore them, be calm, cooperative and hear out their demands; Only then will they leave you alone.

There is always a reason why you feel a certain way, we will never know your true situation so we can never really offer a true solution for you. Only you can figure out why you feel that way. F*ck all this law of attraction, be grateful 24/7 crap and millionaire mind shit. Don't pressure yourself to be happy because happiness doesn't come that way.

This is interesting as it's against what most people are saying on here. You're somewhat putting it in a way like I'm depressed or something which isn't it, as I'm a happy person with a great wife and 1st baby on the way. It's a scarcity mindset issue as I have many of the symptoms

1) No matter how much I make, I'm afraid I'm going to lose it
2) Jealousy of others success (especially financial success)
3) Constantly checking the accounts and making sure it's all in order and calculating how much I'll have left at the end of the month
4) Second guessing every purchase over $20

Crap like that.

I know there's a reason I'm like this, but not 100% sure what it is, perhaps something from growing up. If I want to take the mindset hostage, how does one do that?

Just today, I've been turning every negative into a positive as @AndrewNC suggested, and I feel like it's helped me but I'm interested to hear more of your take RCD :D

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Listen to the tone of your post. You can hear the FEAR like thunder! Your scarcity mindset will leave you when you learn to let go of fear.

but the heart and soul can smell an action fake.
It is your perception that you can't get past. Not your heart and soul.

Don't fight them, don't ignore them, be calm, cooperative and hear out their demands; Only then will they leave you alone.
Agreed!

this right here is where I began. Nothing is negative. Reframe the situation to look at the positive. Pretend the negative doesn't exist.

NOTHING IS NEGATIVE. This sounds extreme but it is important. I don't think you even need to flip it around to be positive. It is simple enough by itself. You will always be surrounded by things that happen.

If I were to die tomorrow, I would want dancing and drinking at the party.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Yes great to see that someone else thinks like me that nothing is negative, things happen and there's two ways to look at it. Also bad stuff tends to happen and later you find out that the bad thing led to something great months or years later.

Oh and never regret any choices you have made in your life as you did the best choice with your knowledge at the time.

I would want people to have a good time at my funeral also, I would hate the formal gathering with tea and sandwiches Tha happens now.
Sent from my RM-892_eu_euro1_274 using Tapatalk

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
what I may have gathered correctly is to trust yourself and the process

This is key. And for it to not be a load of BS.
Positive affirmations, blame and cowering to fear will distract from reliable process.

After you are stable you then can scale.
You never want to scale to a larger audience unless you have your stuff down first where you are.
And scale will take a twenty year slog, and turn it into a two year slog.

Then you'll have your cash 4 life.

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
Listen to the tone of your post. You can hear the FEAR like thunder! Your scarcity mindset will leave you when you learn to let go of fear.
Oh there's fear! I just can't pinpoint where. I'm an outgoing person, I've tried and failed at things but don't mind that, it may just be a fear of being broke....but I've never been broke (except in college :D but I weirdly didn't care then..)

This is key. And for it to not be a load of BS.
Positive affirmations, blame and cowering to fear will distract from reliable process.

Is trusting the process something you think about and do something concrete, or is it simply you just let out a war cry and keep charging forward?

I feel it may be the second as, when it comes to money, I'm like a guy tip toeing through a tiger den: Conservative, question decisions etc. That's in contrast to just bringing a bazooka into the tiger den and blowing them all up.

Vagabond 007

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 1, 2011
Philly Suburbs
2 things, some have mentioned them already...

1. Be grateful. Being grateful works because it FORCES you to focus on the positives in life. This tells your subconscious that you have those things you are being grateful for. That is very important. Because the opposite is true - If you focus on lack and wanting things, that tells your mind that you don't have them.

Lack attracts more lack. Abundance attracts more abundance.

Whatever you focus on, you get more of. Except money. Focus on not having enough money, you get more of "not having enough money." Focus on creating value, and you get more money. Money is an exchange of value. Which is why focusing on money doesn't bring more of it. Money is something we made up, it isn't real.

2. Focus on abundance. Ties into what I just said above.

Another thing is you can't have an abundance mindset and then 20 minutes later worry about the price of gas. That's a big problem I see with people who claim (I'm not saying this is you, maybe it is maybe it isn't) they are thinking positive and then think gas prices are too high, or food's too expensive, etc.

You either have an abundance mindset or a scarcity mindset. There is no in between. And everything is programming.

And don't expect any of this to change overnight. You have years and years of bad programming. A few good thoughts aren't going to negate those years of bad programming.

Another tip, and this may seem batshit crazy, but it works. Give away 10% of your income. Gross, not net...don't try to skimp already. The last thing you probably want to do when you think you don't have enough money is to give some of it away. But that's exactly why you should.

Remember what I said above. Wanting something tells your mind you don't have it. So when you give it away, it tells your brain it's not a big deal and that you have plenty of it (abundance). If you believe you have plenty of it, soon enough your outer reality will catch up with your inner reality. Again this stuff doesn't happen overnight.

One last thing, instead of thinking "why don't I have enough money?" change the question to "why do I have so much money?" Much better question means you'll get a much better answer.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Is trusting the process something you think about and do something concrete, or is it simply you just let out a war cry and keep charging forward?

For me I have tasks for each week and I sit down, turn off everything and struggle my way through distraction until I then get up and do it. Then when done if I can afford to do more without screwing with next week I will.

I have a few things that work and I water them and tend to them and care about them. So long as nothing freaks out, that process keeps me good.

I can't just force myself to do things, it piles weight onto my conscience and then I pop and go back to zero. So, I always take my time to prepare my actions properly.

My process is a preperation process that 100% works, and is applied to a reliable income source.

Having that steadiness has allowed me time to process and digest my fears.
That is what you need also I bet.

More money won't buy you the reliable time you need to process all that pent up fear in you.

Last edited:

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
One last tip, and this may seem batshit crazy, but it works. Give away 10% of your income. Gross, not net...don't try to skimp already. The last thing you probably want to do when you think you don't have enough money is to give some of it away. But that's exactly why you should.

I started giving homeless guys stuff when I knew stuff was tight.
Rather than worry about being poor I decided I'd be grateful that I have more opportunities.
I give them stuff now, and it helps me be like "I won't fail" and not get caught in bs needy mindspaces.

Say what you will bout the homeless, but I think its peoples own fears that bothers them so much.
If you give when faced with that fear rather than shrink, you show yourself how you'll never be that hard off, and then you really understand that they need help, instead of treating them like they are a part of you.

Tbh, if the guy buys booze I'm fine with that, it means he might steal one less purse, and hey, I dig booze too. :p

The more you take care of people, the better you get at biz.

Some see making money as putting a price on something that was free (like land)
But I see making money as making something that is unreachable easier to attain by giving it a value.

Give actions value, peoples needs value, and you'll make cash.

Last edited:

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA

Lack attracts more lack. Abundance attracts more abundance.

What I've struggled with, I'm someone always looking to the next thing. Not taking the time to live in the present because I want "whatever the future brings " now, but with my current mindset, it's like the carrot you lead the donkey with, it'll always be out of reach.

Need to focus on what I have instead of not have.

Remember what I said above. Wanting something tells your mind you don't have it. So when you give it away, it tells your brain it's not a big deal and that you have plenty of it (abundance). If you believe you have plenty of it, soon enough your outer reality will catch up with your inner reality. Again this stuff doesn't happen overnight.

One last thing, instead of thinking "why don't I have enough money?" change the question to "why do I have so much money?" Much better question means you'll get a much better answer.
Those are two gold nuggets there. If I give it away, I'm telling myself I have an abundance, I love that. I followed earlier advice in the thread yesterday in Church, usually I give a small 2 figure sum in the collection basket, but yesterday, even with the end of the month tightness of budget, I said "There's more where this comes from and it's for a good cause" and wrote a check for 3 figures (my wife thought I was going insane).

Thanks alot Vagabond!

Vagabond 007

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 1, 2011
Philly Suburbs
Thanks alot Vagabond!
Glad I could help.

I used to struggle with this, and still do a little bit if I'm being honest. But I no longer care about little things like gas prices. They are what they are. It's not like I'm going to pull up and see a price I don't like and not buy gas. I need gas, so I'm buying it. So no need to clutter my mind with that stuff.

I also used to be a regular tipper. And would be somewhat annoyed that I even had to tip. Now I tip 25-35% (sometimes more...today I had a $17 bill and gave $30, that's 76%), and more importantly, I'm more than happy to do it. Knowing a few extra bucks will mean a lot to a waiter/waitress makes it totally worth it. I won't miss the extra money. And it's good for my mindset. Win win.

Last edited:

Lippy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
550%
Apr 5, 2014
This is big. I've also realized that having a scarcity mindset for the longest time has been holding me back. And that you can't fake having an abundance mindset.

It's painful having a scarcity mindset. PAINFUL! I want to shift how I'm thinking, but I realize that I need a process to get out of the pit that I'm in. I've only read the book recently, and have been on the forum for around 2 months or so.

I realize it won't happen overnight, but aside from what has already been said - have an attitude of gratitude, giving money, and hanging out with other abundant mindset people - what have you guys done to cultivate a mindset of abundance?

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
This is big. I've also realized that having a scarcity mindset for the longest time has been holding me back. And that you can't fake having an abundance mindset.

It's painful having a scarcity mindset. PAINFUL! I want to shift how I'm thinking, but I realize that I need a process to get out of the pit that I'm in. I've only read the book recently, and have been on the forum for around 2 months or so.

I realize it won't happen overnight, but aside from what has already been said - have an attitude of gratitude, giving money, and hanging out with other abundant mindset people - what have you guys done to cultivate a mindset of abundance?

It's rough as I've mentioned throughout the thread especially with years of bad programming tattooed into your brain.

For the past week, I've done the following to have an abundant mindset

1) Gave $XXX to our Church in the Sunday basket, usually I toss in a $20 begrudgingly.
2) Turned as many negative thoughts into positive [Even the thread about Kim Kardashian @MJ DeMarco started, my scarcity mindset crept in "She's an untalented, lucky, pompous buffoon,", but I quickly turned that into " How can I learn branding from her, she's an expert at it, she's got something to teach us."
3) Talked with my wife about it and got her on board with it, shared my failures and opened up to her.
4)One of my wife's coworkers is having a baby and is not well financially [also the father is packed up and gone] and we were going to get one small present for the baby (and I would cap it at that usually), instead, we spent time picking out a couple gifts/clothes/diapers to make it special for the coworker and to help her out totaling $65+ [unheard of for scarcity Joe].
5)Wake up and immediately say thanks for a new day and 3-5 other things I'm thankful for.
6) Thankful for the abundance of objects around me. Last night there was a lot of rain in Texas, thus an abundance of water. Also, I didn't have to water my foundation, so an added moment of gratitude.

Throughout the day, I'm saying thanks in my head for little things. It sounds extreme at first but I want an abundance mindset ASAP, so I'm willing to constantly focus, correct myself, catch myself when thinking negatively etc.

Here's a video of Tony Robbins and he talks a bit about it in the beginning (Not sure if Tony Robbins is controversial around here, but he has some great insights even though he may be defined as one of the "GURUS.")

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.