The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

This guy used an insane get-rich-quick scheme to become a start-up millionaire in three weeks

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah.. lol. I copied/pasted the title from a news aggregator I use. I think the public and general slow-lane minded people would probably see it as 'quick rich scheme' which is why they prob wrote such a click baity title.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
I could believe and even understand this cool story.
However what I don't understand here is how was he able to get jet.com ?

The specifics of Jet’s business model aren’t important, for our purposes. What’s important is that, in the run-up to its launch, Jet ran a contest to try to get more people signed up for its “INSIDERS” program, which entitled them to a free 6-month trial of the site and other perks. To stoke interest in the contest, the company offered 100,000 shares of Jet stock to the person who could sign up the most new INSIDERS, and 10,000 shares to the nine people with the next-highest numbers of sign-ups.

sounds like the next cool-news hype story where the important details are never made clear.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
I could believe and even understand this cool story.

sounds like the next cool-news hype story where the important details are never made clear.

Watch it turn into another fake like the kid who made 80mil trading futures in high shcool

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
This was a good read... now he owns 100,000 shares in a super-hot startup valued stupidly high and hasn't launched yet.

http://fusion.net/story/54990/guy-got-rich-using-jet/

The story mentions two sites Swagbuck and Gifthulk. I'd been thinking about doing something similar - paying people (in one way or another) to give up info or try a piece of software. Has anyone here done that to validate or promote their businesses?

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana

He didn't get jet.com. There is a company jet.com that ran a contest where the winner got 100,000 shares, pre-IPO. He made a calculated guess and spent $18k to win the contest, and is now a shareholder.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
Has anyone here done that to validate or promote their businesses?
The question should be, do you believe enough in the idea and in yourself to do it? The only true learning, is the personal experience itself.

Last edited:

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
The question should be, do you believe enough in the idea and in yourself to do it? The only true learning, is the personal experience itself.

Not sure I understand your answer. I've seen many people advocate spending money on ads. I was wondering if anyone here had experience using systems like this instead of or alongside ads. I can believe in myself and even have a technically great product and still fail if no one uses it.

Journey2Million$

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jan 3, 2015
That was a fun story, except why does Jet want to have no margins? That means no profit right? Is it just a temporary thing to take away market share from Amazon?

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
That was a fun story, except why does Jet want to have no margins? That means no profit right? Is it just a temporary thing to take away market share from Amazon?

The article said something about a $50/yr membership fee. From the competition and Business Week coverage it sounds like part of their business model is getting a lot of signups from people who don't or rarely use the service. Then again, if you consider that's in some ways similar to Amazon's Prime service, and how that turned out for them, it might be a pretty bad plan.

pds

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Apr 28, 2014
NYC
For those of you who don't know much about Jet.com, they're basically trying to take the Costco model online by passing every cost savings on to the consumer in exchange for membership fees. Marc Lore has proven himself before with Diapers.com so it will be interesting to see how this turns out.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Interesting story. The guy's from York PA which is about 90 minutes from my hometown.

EDIT: Wow, there are some real butthurt people in the comments section. It's much easier to be happy for other peoples success but it looks like everyone just acts jealous and "Holier than thou."

Mr3Thirty5

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Feb 9, 2015
The story mentions two sites Swagbuck and Gifthulk. I'd been thinking about doing something similar - paying people (in one way or another) to give up info or try a piece of software. Has anyone here done that to validate or promote their businesses?
Usertesting.com sends your software,website,app, etc... out to registered testers to test. Not sure how much they charge though.

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
EDIT: Wow, there are some real butthurt people in the comments section. It's much easier to be happy for other peoples success but it looks like everyone just acts jealous and "Holier than thou."

He hasn't even made a dime yet. The company may never IPO, or it may crater after IPO before the lock-up period expires.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
He hasn't even made a dime yet. The company may never IPO, or it may crater after IPO before the lock-up period expires.

Exactly. The guy spent $18,000 on a gamble and people are acting like him (potentially) succeeding is somehow bad for "the man". Even the possibility of someone getting the one-up is offensive.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.