The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Secret

DrummerDad

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Apr 8, 2011
Yesterday my wife and I watched a show on Netflix called The Secret. I thought it was very eye opening. And so did my wife. It delves into the "contagious attitude" theory I have always heard. Essentially, they were saying if you have a desire, or dream imagine yourself when you have received this desire or dream, and keep doing it. By staying positive, and staying away from the negative, your dream or desire will come true. I am more of a cynic, or a pessimist. I have never been one to follow this type of thinking, but as I watched the program, it sort of made sense. And after the show my wife and I were talking and it made even more sense. When we were newly married, we wanted a split level house with a drive under garage, in a nice subdivision. We used to drive through neighborhoods with houses just like the ones we wanted, and say "one day, we can have one". It took about 9 years, but we now live in a split level home, just like the ones we used to dream about. And then we talked about cars, and guess what; we both have nicer cars than we thought we could have, especially if you knew how low we started. I even recently bought a Ducati. A dream of mine. Im not saying this is science. And no, you cant grow a tail or wings by thinking positively that you can. There are limits. But I think if you keep your dreams at the front of your mind, and don't get drug down by the daily rat race, you make the right decisions that will lead you to the path that will ultimately make your dreams come true. What do you think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Sounds like you watched something about the Law of Attraction. That's a big debate. And to be honest, I'm not a fan.

For instance, if you want to be a professional baseball player, you have to believe in yourself. Nobody has ever made into MLB by thinking "I suck, I'm never going anywhere, my play is awful." At the same time though, if you do get into the majors, it's because of your practice, hard work, and dedication, not some magical thinking.

Believing in yourself is important. However, I have issues with people that see the Law of Attraction as a scientific Santa. If I sit on my a$$ all day, and don't hustle and work, no fairy tale thinking process is going to make a Ferrari appear in my front yard. And the way you see a lot of these LoA folks talk, you'd think they actually believe it.

Edit: Just to claifty, the way that you and your wife see the Law of Attraction is the way I believe it actually works. You visualized yourself living in your dream home, you put in a lot of hard work, and now you have it.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
I've seen The Secret film, and its simply a ruse. Law of attraction doesn't work as you can't just think something up and have it appear. If anything its coincidence. Checks don't "magically arrive" in your mailbox as the secret proposes it would. I take LoA very very lightly and believe having a good attitude is great, and using these "dreams" as motivation, but otherwise it will not get you any closer to having your dream home than sitting around will.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
There is nothing wrong with having a good attitude and focusing.

The problem with some people that buy into the secret and LOA is the believing and manifesting without doing any working. Gotta get off your butt and make it come true.

x9vjzs098u123rnl

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 23, 2009
USA
MJ actually mentions The Secret by name in The Millionaire Fastlane and gives his opinion on it- I certainly don't pretend to know more than he does, but here's my view of it:

Positive thinking is all good and well. It can help keep you productive and motivated, it's probably great for your health. BUT- don't let it cloud your realism in running a Fastlane business. Don't rely on it to get things done for you. Don't think it will magically hand you wealth- it won't.

But it certainly can't hurt! Just don't bother spending all of your time paying charlatans to help you "think more positively" or "set goals with the magical science of guaranteed achievement".

Trust me, I've been there (long before I found TMF forums or book)

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania

I was hoping someone would post this! Talk about giving you perspective. These people are the definition of wantrepreneurs.

Positive thinking is all good and well. It can help keep you productive and motivated, it's probably great for your health. BUT- don't let it cloud your realism in running a Fastlane business. Don't rely on it to get things done for you. Don't think it will magically hand you wealth- it won't.

But it certainly can't hurt! Just don't bother spending all of your time paying charlatans to help you "think more positively" or "set goals with the magical science of guaranteed achievement".

This is probably the best way to sum up the LOA.

It really can be a good thing if you keep yourself in check. The problem is that most supporters are too out of touch to reach.

andyredsox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Oct 24, 2012
It makes sense.

And by the way, thanks for sharing.

When there are things you want and you constantly move to that direction, it will eventually come true.

It's about believing thing will happen and you do things to make it happen.

It works to everything you want to have in life.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
There is nothing wrong with having a good attitude and focusing.

The problem with some people that buy into the secret and LOA is the believing and manifesting without doing any working. Gotta get off your butt and make it come true.

^ this

Mouse McCoy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 26, 2013
It didn't even strike me until this morning, but Napoleon Hill's 'Think and Grow Rich' is very much like The Secret. The main difference is that he also put out a book (both works are now free via Public Domain online) called 'Laws of Success' which is are the essential tools to 'calibrating' this law of attraction -- if I may be so bold. Either way please don't listen to me and see for yourself, and if you don't mind tell me what you think of it once you've gone through it.

The Law of Success in Sixteen Lessons : Napoleon Hill : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

[video=youtube;UmCtWskzmAQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmCtWskzmAQ[/video]

ricktx

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Jun 27, 2013
Texas, USA
MJ actually mentions The Secret by name in The Millionaire Fastlane and gives his opinion on it- I certainly don't pretend to know more than he does, but here's my view of it:

Trust me, I've been there (long before I found TMF forums or book)

Exactly ... "The secret" is knowing you can succeed and action. If you do not believe me just research any successful person in history (Gates, Jobs, Demarco, Buffett, any of them). Non of them became successful doing nothing.

Now whatever it takes to get you to take action does not matter. Just do it, believe it, and get on with it!

D

DeletedUser2

LOA

should be about 10%

too many people Make it 100% of their daily recommended financial diet (DRFD).

at 10% it definitely adds some great stuff to the recipe.

otherwise its kinda like binging on sugar.
just not the best financial diet.

Z

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
LOA

should be about 10%

I go even less than that...

Success is a recipe and in that recipe the LOA is the sugar. It's sweet. It's tasty and fun to talk about. It's easy on mind and it sounds great. Meanwhile, people forget the flour in the success recipe; the shit that is bland, boring, and binds everything together. The flour is the action. The hard work. The discipline. The cancelled cable TV subscription. The cob webs on the XBOX. Without the flour, the sugar is worthless except in that it will give you a temporary rush of excitement ... "I'm gonna be rich cuz I'm so positive!" which is exactly why action-fakers love it so much.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
LOA is addressing demand of a big market. The market that wants to dream about success. But only a few act on their dream. Positive imagery is important and I don't knock The Secret. They are just delivering value to those than mostly want to wish their way to success.

Interesting point on Think and Grow Rich being similar. However it was very impactful on me as I read it and listened to the tapes at a young age in college, and took a little action here and there.

DrummerDad

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Apr 8, 2011
I have a hard time staying positive. Like I said, Im a cynic and a pessimist. I have learned that a negative attitude is like a slippery slope. Once one thing pisses you off, the rest of the day is ruined. And if it is someone else who comes up complaining, it is basically the same. The rest of the day goes downhill.

Two things Im having to work hard on, outside of trying to get over a few hurdles in my path, is keeping a positive attitude (not the fake bubbly one that is so transparent) and learning to work with people. Like I said before, I think the power in this comes from being in a position to make the right choices. If you are pissed off, or mad, you might make a rash decision, or overlook an opportunity. And dealing with people who aren't as motivated as you are, and who aren't going anywhere. They hate their job, and they aren't going to go out of their way to help. It is hard not to go off and tell them what you are thinking.

wealthyliving

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Jul 15, 2013
Just like Mouse McCoy said, Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill is a good example book about the Law of Attraction.

Personally, I believe the LOA makes up about 50% of success. The other 50% is hard work, dedication, goal setting, failure, endurance, and persistence.

In fact, we can go just a little bit further with those numbers by applying the 80/20 rule and say the LOA accounts for 20% of success while the other 80% accounts for the hard work and dedication.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I go even less than that...

Success is a recipe and in that recipe the LOA is the sugar. It's sweet. It's tasty and fun to talk about. It's easy on mind and it sounds great. Meanwhile, people forget the flour in the success recipe; the shit that is bland, boring, and binds everything together. The flour is the action. The hard work. The discipline. The cancelled cable TV subscription. The cob webs on the XBOX. Without the flour, the sugar is worthless except in that it will give you a temporary rush of excitement ... "I'm gonna be rich cuz I'm so positive!" which is exactly why action-fakers love it so much.

This would be good for the next book.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
The Law of Attraction is kinda like believing in Santa Clause. We all believed it because it was fun, mysterious and magic like.

Success comes down to good old fashioned ball busting hard work and brain cell burning critical thinking. There I just told you the "Secret" to success. Work hard and think. Two things 95% of people simply refuse to do because they love the easy way, they love the simple way, they don't wanna solve complex problems or bend over backwards, they don't want struggle. This is why "The Secret" sells books because it sells easiness, it sells events, it sells simplicity.

I have yet to meet one successful entrepreneur who gave credit to "the secret" as the cause of his success. If Da Vinci and Einstein really used the law of attraction you can bet they would have written about it, not kept it "a secret". These guys were scientist they seeked the truth.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
You are not going to get anywhere sitting your a$$ with some extra wishful thinking. Now I think mindset is important, but the law of attraction will not bring you success.

Don't believe me? Quit your job and see if your bills get paid.

Think big, but more importantly, DO BIG.

goodfella

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 4, 2013
Most of these charlatans are just taking advantage of the already dumb society that exists today and making them dumber. They offer books, movies, seminars claiming the shortcut to power,beauty and success, saying they have discovered "ancient secrets brought back to life". Most of the people that fall for these types of shortcuts are just suckers.

What they don't understand is that when you fall prey to this shortcut to get whatever you want in life, you lose discipline, time, and energy to be able to work through all the long F*cking hours that are needed to be put in to outwitting your competition and mastering the process.

Me? I don't rely and wait around for the universe to swirl and bend just to fulfill wishes.

qewrtyass

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Apr 30, 2013
positive affirmation always good. so always have that on your mind no matter what happen.
this world is full of magic that science yet to discover, such as bio energy, aura, etc.
there is proof how water whispered with good words has beautiful crystals, but the one whispered with bad words become corrupted ugly crystals.
how some plants grow under-developed near bad music such as heavy metal, but grow healthy and strong near good music such as Beethoven.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
[video=youtube;e7eJJLlVD8o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7eJJLlVD8o[/video]

The Beauvais woman in this tv show made a killing selling the idea of "the secret". It says she also invented things, but she claims it was all manifestation. Shows that a lot of people want to believe in something like this.

EDIT: Though she does have good work ethic and motivation. And she also obviously has the success to show for.

Ivan

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jul 22, 2011
My current business involves 8 hours per day of envisioning a shipping container full of money falling from the sky into my yard. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress. Profit margins are gonna be insane if this works out.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Human beings have as part of our minds the absolute freakin' need to be right. Our brains are genetically wired to seek out evidence that supports the thoughts and feelings that role around in our heads all day.

Whatever the dominant thought and feeling is in our head, we WILL find evidence of it. 100% fact, all day, every day.

Whatever you believe, is true... there is just no such thing as an objective reality, from the point of view of our own mind.

If you think The Secret works, then you'll find evidence that it works and you'll feel you are right.

If you think The Secret is BS, then you'll find plenty of evidence that it is only for lazy or stupid people.

If you think Democrats are blah blah blah, then that's what you'll find and so on.

This is the way our mind works.

The rub is, we can become conscious of this process, examine the beliefs that lead us to where we want to go, and change the ones that don't. We aren't in control of this law of always finding what we believe in our experience, but we can control what we look for.

karmazon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jun 12, 2012
Orange County, Ca

nico

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
May 17, 2011
The Secret (the book, the movie, the franchise) is someone SELLING you a DREAM. The problem with the LOA isn't that it's bad to have a positive attitude - the problem is that the way it's stated to work is impossible according to the laws of physics.

When something looks too good to be true, it usually is.

Someone compared it to Think And Grow Rich - here's the formula from that book:

- Correct mental state --> Massive action --> Results

Here's the formula from The Secret:

- Correct mental state --> Results

Notice something that's "conveniently" missing?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
The Secret (the book, the movie, the franchise) is someone SELLING you a DREAM. The problem with the LOA isn't that it's bad to have a positive attitude - the problem is that the way it's stated to work is impossible according to the laws of physics.

When something looks too good to be true, it usually is.

Someone compared it to Think And Grow Rich - here's the formula from that book:

- Correct mental state --> Massive action --> Results

Here's the formula from The Secret:

- Correct mental state --> Results

Notice something that's "conveniently" missing?

Good analysis I concur.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.