The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The product that will change how you think about MONEY - forever!

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
Sorry once again about the pompous thread title, I still haven't gotten over the novelty of copywriting "hooks". For what it's worth, my "intro" thread has 468 views, though other threads with titles like "Hello from California" have more.

If you didn't look at my idea thread, read that one first, it explains in some more detail what I'm trying to accomplish:

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...ternet-revolution-money-for-the-masses.51736/

So to summarize:
- I believe there are a large number (maybe around 60M based on a few stats I found) of working adults who are underserved by our existing financial system. They can't buy things online and they can't borrow money easily (consider every use of a credit card an instant loan, which is what it is).
- I've also spent enough time with the type of people who create internet startups to know that they don't consider this a viable target market ("You're an idiot if you're trying to make money off lazy bums, those welfare leeches won't pay you a dime!"), hence the lack of existing projects (there are only a very few).
- This is the important point, and why I wouldn't have done this five years ago - EVERYONE has mobile internet access now. Even if they can't afford their own phone they have one from their boss, or an old one from a friend. All phones are smartphones and have wifi as well as cellular internet.

Since this is a progress thread, here's the ACTION part:
- On May 15th I will have ready the following: A basic website with the Minimum Viable Product (see below for more on "Lean Startup"), along with more mundane facets like a forum and blog. These are important but will most likely be off-the-shelf components. I will also have an android app that provides the same functionality, so either the web site or the app can be used. If this sounds like an insanely aggressive schedule keep in mind I'm one of those "been coding since I was 10" dudes, so I'm leveraging this talent to the hilt. I have no experience (or likely talent) doing sales, marketing, and all that other stuff which is way more important, so at least I can compensate somewhat on the tech/actual product part of the business.
- Since I'm likely way overoptimistic on how long this will take (and any honest programmer here will tell you that a fair bit of self-delusional optimism is necessary to start a major project) I've allowed for two weeks of "slip" time, with May 28th being the "really ready now" deadline.

So what is the product? Having read about the "ghillie suit" drama on here I'm a bit hesistant to say much at this point. I will reveal that it's a product that would be useful to my target market, and be used over and over, keeping them coming back to my site/app. At the same time I don't believe I can really charge for it. In Fastlane terms this is the equivalent of the web page you put up in 20 minutes to see if people will sign up. It may seem nuts to do this much work just to see if there's a market but look at it this way...if I can get 10% of 60M people to pay me just one dollar (or equivalently, provide 6M leads to a third party at a dollar each) that's already $6M.

I'm synthesizing my process not just from TMF , but some other sources. Most significantly at this point is the "Lean Startup" methodology by Eric Ries. Although there's heavy overlap between the two there are some differences. The Fastlane method is to make one sale (or one dollar) as quickly as possible, then scale that up...it's focused on solving a need for a customer. The LS approach instead considers a startup as a scientific method for learning how to build a sustainable business, by performing a series of "experiments" each of which are designed to get closer to that goal. This methodology also puts a lot of emphasis on the idea of the "pivot"...that many startups begin by creating one product only to find that they need to make a major change to their product or business strategy. In this case I'm first creating a minimum viable product (another LS term) with no firm monetization plans, just to see how many people I can get to use it, and more importantly, to learn the characteristics of these people (hence the blog and forum, to make bidirectional communication easy and readily available from the start). I'm very confident that I've identified a target market with a general problem that isn't being sufficiently addressed by existing companies. I'm much less sure I have a good solution to this problem, and in fact I may not make any progress on that until I know much more about these people and also have something to offer potential partners/vendors (in this case, the userbase of my site/app and a lot of useful demographic and other information about them).

I'll post updates here as I get things done.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

ShannaGrace

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Mar 1, 2014
I read your first post on this subject. I having been one of those people you are looking to service, think this is a great idea and there is a need in them market place. Look at how many pre-paid visa cards are out there now. I am not sure on the logistic of all of this, but keep on until it is a GO or a Stop.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
if I can get 10% of 60M people to pay me just one dollar (or equivalently, provide 6M leads to a third party at a dollar each) that's already $6M.

This is the worst logic to have

Most significantly at this point is the "Lean Startup" methodology by Eric Ries.
I ran a team and we were all aware of lean startup and ran the product dev as lean as possible. You said something earlier about 'this is not something you can create a landing page for ' - Yes you can, If you were really practicing the book you would know the first steps to creating a business is to call up your potential customers and get their opinions on it, then build a landing page. https://www.udacity.com/course/ep245 - Take the course before moving forward. You are setting yourself up for a huge failure.

You may have a completely real target market, I don't doubt that at all ...But your approach to building the product is completely wrong IMO.

Last edited:

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
https://www.udacity.com/course/ep245 - Take the course before moving forward. You are setting yourself up for a huge failure.

Thanks for the link, I saw the $150 course on Udemy (with not great reviews) but somehow missed the free one on Udacity. I'll refrain from referring to LS until I'm confident I understand the concepts thoroughly.

As for "huge failure", keep in mind the max time allocated is 5 weeks, or about a month. Worst case I have something of use to only myself and one other person (it solves a problem I have with this person at least once a week). I also have commitments from a few other people to try it for a while. If nothing else it'll be a good dry run to make sure the technologies I've selected don't have major flaws. A lot of the components (blog, forum) are generic and I would be using them for just about any other execution. I may end up skipping the app part and have only a web interface at first.

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
The "Admitting there's a problem..." thread has made me reluctant to post much. However as it's been three weeks and the first deadline is approaching an update is appropriate, otherwise this becomes a dead thread. The first week went OK...then the fact that I still have a day job reared its ugly head. The day job is in a seasonal business and although I usually have much less to do during the busy spring/early summer season, several factors have conspired to keep me completely busy there for the last two weeks, and from the looks of it, also this next upcoming week.

Now the generic advice here might be "quit your day job!" but the problem with generic advice is that it's generic. My position is salaried and is usually to my benefit...I rarely come in to the office all days of the week, and sometimes not at all. Even when I do I often work on my own things rather than work things. The owner of the business is aware of all this and actively encourages my entrepreneurial projects. He has even offered use of the company's call center if it gets to the point that I need a team of people for sales (they are already doing inbound sales). I've also learned a lot these last two years about how much damage one individual can do to a business (said individual being the main reason the company is now scrambling to deal with issues that have been clear since last year but yet not dealt with).

In any case my original plan was based on not really having to do much at the day job. As long as that situation isn't resolved I can't really make any legitimate forecasts about how when this project will be finished, so I'm leaving it open-ended until then. I'll post here when any major milestones are achieved.

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
Going to start a new progress thread on the inside for my current project that arose out of this project...basically there was a much better idea hiding inside the idea I described here. Teaser:

login-20150306.png borrow-20150306.png

I have facebook integration working on another test app, that's coming next. Then... "It's not the end - a friend will lend!"

zerobrainwash

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Feb 20, 2015
Baltics
In TechCrunch hackathon in London we implemented the same idea, albeit it relied more on SMS instead of an app. You would send out an SMS to our number with the amount required. We in return will then send an SMS to your friends which were preselected in an app/website dashboard. You can do the same from dashboard but the appeal of SMS is that it doesn't require internet connectivity. That was just a weekend hack though and we didn't pursue it further.

Will be interesting to see how it goes for you, good luck!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Sorry once again about the pompous thread title, I still haven't gotten over the novelty of copywriting "hooks". For what it's worth, my "intro" thread has 468 views, though other threads with titles like "Hello from California" have more.

Lol. I'm not sure about subject lines that are designed to attract views. It's akin to creating an ad to get as many people into your store or to your landing page as possible. The number of visitors is a vanity metric. Sales, customers, revenue, profit are typically the real measures.

Sales is really a disqualification process - you want to repel those who aren't a good fit, and attract those that are, then keep putting them through hoops so that they disqualify themselves.

Hope that helps with your agile marketing and testing too.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.