The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Grand Canyon

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
This post is in response to Bio's post about living life to its fullest.

I did a Grand Canyon trip a couple of years ago that was a blast. From the south rim to the north rim and back.... in a day...

I have actually done this twice but I had some pictures and vid clips of this one. It was a total bitch. 48 miles in a day. Much of it running.

Thought I might talk about it here for the fun.

It is a very dangerous trip. There is no medical care beyond first aid that does not involve a rescue team or helicopter. You can virtually be stranded for long periods of time if something bad happens.

Here is the list of precautions: Grand Canyon National Park Hiking Safety Guide

You will see from pictures that we traveled very light. The nightime temps were in the 20's or lower but our need to move fast prevented heavy clothing.

We started around 4:30 am. Within half a mile from the start we ran into very fast moving water on the trail. It was still dark but this water crossed the switchback trail many times and followed the path for quite a distance. Our shoes and socks were immediately soaked with water and silt. All we could figure was that there was a broken pipe somewhere because it was not a streambed.

Fortunately, we had brought a change of socks since we knew there would be locations that would get our feet wet. Unfortunately, our shoes and socks were very dirty now. We knew that we would need to let the socks dry for a later changing.

After that, the remainder of the decent was uneventful. We ran most of the 5000 ft dropoff down to the Colorado River below. It seemed pretty easy at this point.

Now for the fun. The climb up the north rim was about 6000 feet. The path followed a canyon along a river for a number of miles. It meanders through a canyon for a ways rolling up and down on the face. There were some wet spots that required balance while hopping on rocks to cross the river.

We did not carry a lot of volume of water because there are stops along the way. This proved to be a problem for us. We were casually hiking up the rim when we realized that the water was shut off at one of the stops. We were still probably about 4000 feet from the top at this time and assumed that we could get water at the top. I offered some of my water to the others since I felt that I was always capable of going without water than most people.

As we neared the top, we ran into a group that was sitting in a large rock outcropping. They were amazed that we came from the other side and planned on going back that day.

Well, after a nasty climb up we finally made the top. No water was available. The north rim was still shut down for the season and the lodge was not open. Someone that we ran into told us that the water would be turned back on in a few days and that it is turned off during part of the season. We had assumed that the water would be on while the trail was open for hiking. Wrong!!!

To be continued...

Here are a couple of photos of us on the way up the north side and at the top.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Cool story. I can't wait to hear the conclusion.... and, I'm inspired!

Going to spend some time writing up / preserving some of our family adventures....

and.... planning new ones!

Thanks for sharing.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Wow, that's awesome. I'm not a runner or a hiker, but that sounds really cool. The Grand Canyon is beautiful, and it's one heck of a place.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
One more on the way up.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Wow, that sounds amazing! I went this past summer, but my experiences were nothing compared to yours.

Do you mind if I post your story on my website?

That would be fine.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Part II

Other than the soaked feet at the start and shortage of water going up the north canyon wall, most of the first half was uneventfull. The climb was strenuous but we were all prepared and in shape for this.

The other two partners that I was with had brought walking sticks in the form of ski poles. I had decided that they were not necessary. I was wrong.

We started down the north rim back into the canyon. All of us were very thirsty as we had completely run out of water on the way up. Since I had handed some of my water over to the other hikers, I had traveled about nine miles and about 4000 feet of elevation climb on about 8 ounces of water. That is just to get to the top. We still needed to go another nine miles or so to get back to the last known water source.

As we decended down the steep grade we passed the same group that we had visited with on the way up. They cheered and clapped as we ran by. For some silly reason, it felt good.

All of a sudden I started cramping in my quads. Those walking sticks began looking useful. After a few "I told you so's", we continued down the cliff wall. The terrain at this point was sheer cliff with a trail carved out. A rough trail. Not very wide. My friends were commenting that we should not run for a little ways due to the danger of a potential trip and fall. I did not argue.

Eventually we navigated past the cliffs and the danger diminished. It was still plenty of slope but the sheer cliff was gone. We started running again. All of us were so exceptionally thirsty at this point. Our conversation change from pleasant to sometimes even crude. Forgive me for my language in this link but I did not realize that the camera had this much audio sensitivity.

http://homes-ariz.com/rrr/idiot-mofos.AVI

I had worked past the cramps by this point and we were back on track.

We knew the water was ahead. I had never been so thirsty. The last mile toward the spigot seemed like an eternity. But, we finally made it. The area was shaded with trees and the water was cold. Ahhhh...... I felt like I drank a gallon. :smx6:

We were really tired by this point and actually rested for a few minutes. Only 15 miles left to go!

The next few miles were along a canyon with a river alongside. There were some ups and downs but for the most part it was fairly level. The scenery was beautiful but the trail was otherwise long and boring. For miles we thought that we were almost at the Colorado River. Every corner we turned just led to another bend in the canyon.

Now, I have told this story to many people as a joke. But it did not feel like a joke at the time.

We came around one of these famous bends and looked ahead. About a quarter mile down the trail was a couple of mountain goats. "Cool" we said. That isn't something that you see every day.

Then they looked up at us... and started running... towards us... I just kept walking down the trail expecting them to veer off. They didn't. It was mere seconds before I realized that they were not going to change course. There was a cliff wall on one side of us and a drop down an embankment into the river on the other side. For a split second I thought that I might go down the embankment . There was a jog in the trail and at this point the beasts ran down the steep bank and up the other side without slowing. For that split second I thought I might be at a disadvantage if I was strung out on the side of this cliff.

So I stood my ground. And they kept coming. The horns were pointed at me. One had veered off but the other was bearing down directly in my path. I yelled at the top of my lungs and charged back at it. There was skidding involved as it reversed course almost within my reach. Whew... It went the other way... for a few seconds... turned and came charging back. I can't recall exactly what I was thinking but it was along the lines of "Great, it is not scared of me". I repeated my scream and charge. This time it turned and skidadled up the cliff.

Wow... The one thing that stuck in my memory was how big the a$$ was on this thing when it skidded in front of me. Looked pretty powerful!!!

I looked around and saw Mike buried in a crevice on the cliff. He was asking frantically "Are they gone? Where'd they go?" My friend John was behind me. He immediately said "I was right there with you, Steve!". Not!!!

It was a funny to watch the three of us running down the trail looking over our shoulders. Scared of goats?!? C'mon...

We finally reached the Colorado. Dead tired and looking at the south rim in front of us.

Here is Johns comment: http://homes-ariz.com/rrr/this-sucks.AVI

To be continued...

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
hehehe.

After watching these videos, I'm more convinced then ever that when I do the Grand Canyon up close and personal, it will be raft.... and not by my running legs.

;)

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Another pic. Not my socks... :tiphat:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
The final chapter.

Standing down at the very bottom of the canyon looking up is awesome. Having traveled for almost 40 miles at a brisk pace with barely a rest.... It still looks awesome. It also looks daunting.

The ascent up the south rim is tough by itself. We now faced it when we were already completely fatigued.

I have been here before. Memories of my last trip were now conveniently coming back into my head. The remainder of this trip is nothing more than a death march. The beauty of the canyon no longer applies. We have seen it all and now wish to be finished.

Somehow we muster the energy to run. The sun is beginning to fade behind the walls and the heat is turning to cool. Our desire at this point is to reach Indian Gardens. It is only about 4.5 miles to the top from this point. All switchbacks though. But from this point you start to see life again. At least life that feels like the top might be in range.

By the time we arrived we were looking pretty lifeless.

http://homes-ariz.com/rrr/dead.AVI

The light quickly changed to darkness. Far off in the distance a single light could be seen. It looked so far away. We could not even think about running. Hell, each step walking was tough.

The last few miles has marker signs. Each mile seemed longer. The lone light above us did not seem to get closer. We passed a hiker that said he could not go on. Still 2.5 miles to go. Ughhh. We tried to help this person and offered our shoulders. He refused.

One thing about the canyon is that you can go down easily but you need to go up to get out. You can't just decide to quit unless you are ready to majorly disrupt others. You need to keep going. It is hard but you put yourself in there.

It was flat out cold now. I was still sweating and felt warm and cold at the same time. I put my lightweight jacket on anyway as the risk of hypothermia is very real at this stage.

Every race that I have ever run, marathons, 10k's, seeing the last mile felt good. I wish that was the case here. This last mile felt like torture. I couldn't imagine what the other two were feeling. I was in better running condition. None of us said anything for conversation. An occasional phrase might be grunted out.

Mike had family waiting for him at the top. There was a restaurant a couple hundred yard away. It felt horrible trying to reach it. I called my wife. "Never again!!!", "I will never do this stupid hike again".

Of course after a good night sleep, we were talking about the next trip. Brilliant!

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Still 4.5 to go. No crying was allowed.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
At the restaurant.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks for your Story, Steve.

When you say... downright cold, how cold, approx? Just trying to get a feel.

All said and So, 48 miles. How long did this take you?

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
It took us 16 hours. I would like to do it again and aim for 14 hours.

I realize that cold is relative. It was probably in the 30's and might have dipped into the 20's. But keep in mind that we were wearing shorts and very light jackets.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Just trying to get an overall picture of your day. ;) What, approx do you think your high temps where?

Your story is similar to giving birth..... sucks while you are doing it, but later you decide maybe you want to do it again! lol.

Thanks for sharing your story! Very cool.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
The bottom of the canyon is a lot warmer than the top. There is a large period of time climbing the north side where the sun stays on you for long periods. I would guess that it got into the high 80's for some of the time.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
The bottom of the canyon is a lot warmer than the top. There is a large period of time climbing the north side where the sun stays on you for long periods. I would guess that it got into the high 80's for some of the time.

Interesting. That is a pretty big temperature range for you to deal with in one day!

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Here is a link to the average tempetatures. Phantom Ranch is at the bottom of the canyon where it tends to be much warmer. Both rims are colder due to the elevation. Our hike was in the middle of May. We start and end the day in the cold at the top of the rim but the majority of the hike is in much higher temps.

Average Temperatures and Precipitation at Grand Canyon!

This was my second time across and back in a day. I had hypothermia myself the first time. It felt like every muscle in my body was cramping up. We went straight back to the hotel and I jumped in a tub of hot water.

When you are fatigued and it is cold, you may not feel cold if you are exerting a lot of energy. That does not stop the core temperature from going down.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
I remember seeing a book about a family that lived in the bottom of the canyon... parhaps that is Phantom Ranch? I remember thinking how cool it would be to do that for a year.

Last year, up in the Broughten Islands, BC. we went and spent a few days with a man that lives in an old logging camp. There are no roads in and out. He is only gets 30 days off a year. He lives there alone in a little bay.

His only visitors are the pilot of the hydroplane that comes in about once a month to drop his supplies and the occasional visitor from nearby villages that come in by boat.

Interesting life!

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Phantom Ranch is like a guest ranch at the bottom of the canyon. The spot in my story that had shade and water is someone's residence. Not sure what the story is there but they allow hikers on their lawn. It is close to the bottom of the Bright Angel Canyon and right at the point where the real climb begins on the north rim.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I remember seeing a book about a family that lived in the bottom of the canyon... parhaps that is Phantom Ranch? I remember thinking how cool it would be to do that for a year.

Last year, up in the Broughten Islands, BC. we went and spent a few days with a man that lives in an old logging camp. There are no roads in and out. He is only gets 30 days off a year. He lives there alone in a little bay.

His only visitors are the pilot of the hydroplane that comes in about once a month to drop his supplies and the occasional visitor from nearby villages that come in by boat.

Interesting life!

There is no way that I could live in that kind of seclution.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Bump for Russ!!!

CoMp1eX

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 1, 2007
Did you go on the glass skywalk?

080324-sky-walk-vmed-319p.widec.jpg

I laid on my belly and just looked straight down :blush: It was a good experience...

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
That looks like a great view. I have not been there but would like to see it.

gofalls

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 7, 2007
Phx, AZ
Very cool trip. I am headed to do a 1 day rim-to-rim at the end of this month when it opens and can’t wait. We are going to have a car on each rim and swap keys at the bottom. Now I know to let someone else lead in case we meet some stubborn goats.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
If both parties start close to the same time, you should meet somewhere along the small river going up the north rim. There are not many spots along the entire trail where you would be able to pass someone without seeing them. This area does have that option though. There are a couple of places where the trail splits and then meets up again. The water level in the river will dictate if you have that option.

There are a couple of places that might be good meeting places. If you haven't done this already, I would find a detailed map and designate one of these locations. There is a little park ranger cabin that has some shade, water, and places to sit. Seems to me that it was close to the midpoint.

We survived on bars and PowerBar gel packs. I was not hungry but kept the calorie intake going all along the path.

If you are able to drive to the north rim parking, then the water should all be on. Double check this though. If it is on, I would recommend that you travel light.

Have fun! It is amazing.

gofalls

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 7, 2007
Phx, AZ
We completed it last Saturday from North to South (the easier way). Took us 11 hours with 15 lb bags and we were struggling with the last 3 miles. I ate 7 bars, 4 gel packs, and 400 oz of water. We got lucky to have been rained on when the forecast predicted 105 degree temps. It made for a sloppy hike but the cooler temps was well worth it. I couldn’t imagine turning around and doing it again, that would have been suicide for us. I have rested 4 days now and my calves are still on fire. We must have seen hundreds of people and no one looked like they were attempting r2r2r in the same day, that’s an incredible feat especially without water.:thumbsup:

We talked to a lady from a rafting group at the bottom about her trip. She was on day 3 of 6 and was very excited about it. She has gone every year with her dad for 15 years and uses the same company every time (Tour West, I think). They charge 2k a head and they must have had about 30 clients. That’s 60k in a week. What a fun business.
1b.jpg

1a.jpg

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Looks very green. For some reason I expected it to be browner. I'm doing this trip in 10 days. Can't wait. But I'm camping at the bottom for 2 days.:urock2:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.