The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Difference Between a Need and a Startup Idea

Idea threads

db7903915

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
557%
Aug 8, 2014
Canada
I was hanging out with my friends today, and I've come to a conclusion that literally everybody has a startup idea. We were chatting and the conversation steered towards business and startups. I got all excited, as my friends starting pouring out "startup ideas”. Then I realized,

A startup idea is simply a romanticized version of someone’s dream to be financially successful without doing any work.

Every “startup idea” on this forum gets backlash. Why? Because no one gives a damn what you think would be a “cool startup”. People have their own needs, and boosting your ego isn’t one of them.

So what separates a “startup idea” from a real startup idea?

One is a joke you make to your friends.

The other is a problem that a person has become so accustomed to, that if it was solved, they would think to themselves, “Why didn’t I think of that? Why didn’t somebody make this before?"

Want some examples?

Dropbox. Why did we have to move duplicate files between computers on USB sticks when we already had an existing network (internet) for transferring data? Because we got used to the USB sticks.

Mint.com. Why do we ignore our daily spendings and allow our bank accounts to become feeding grounds for restaurants and retailers? Because no one wants to count their receipts. It was always like that.

It’s hard to see what can be improved, because we’re used to the way things are. It takes a special kind of attention to detail to notice powerful needs and gaps in the market. And boy, oh, boy. They are everywhere.

I’ll give you guys a few that I’ve discovered over the past couple days. DON’T STEAL THEM! Just kidding. Please fix them so the world can be a better place. And take my money while you’re at it.

1. Why, in the almighty ****, do I still have to type my 15 character password into my mobile banking app every time I transfer a buck for transit from my savings account? Where are the 3rd party applications that can do this automatically with a press of a button?
  2. Why does my phone still make noise when I forget to turn it to silent when I go to bed? Are my friends that stupid to send snapchats at 3AM and wake every other person whose phone isn’t on “silent” with a loud “BLOOP BLEEP BLOOP”? Do I have to send out a group text message to my whole social circle letting them know I’m going to bed? Ridiculous.
  3. Why do manufacturers in China take a week to reply? Don’t they want my money? I understand when it’s a holiday and everything, but on a regular day, please take my money. With the influx of Amazon FBAers, seems like the suppliers are only hurting themselves by not increasing their communication rate. We’re sitting with cash in our hands, dying to hand it over.

On a final note, it appears that most successful startups either A) Increase productivity or B) Save time.

Hope this inspires someone to look for needs in their everyday life. They really exist, you just have to catch yourself the next time you get frustrated and write it down. Works like a charm.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.