The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Big Secret in helping you speed up

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

secretentourage

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jan 4, 2013
BOCA, LA, NY and VA
There is a funny feeling whenever you talk to a new entrepreneur about their idea and ask them to explain how it will work or what the end result is supposed to look like. It seems as though many entrepreneurs are afraid to share their ideas, as they believe others may steal them or duplicate them, even at times perhaps faster than themselves — but is that feeling warranted, or is it just paranoia? Regardless of what it is, it keeps you from getting into the fast lane.

Here is my take on your big secret!

If you followed my segment on the harsh realities of entrepreneurship on SE, then you know that bringing a new idea to life is exciting but difficult, and takes quite a bit of passion and energy in order to succeed beyond that of a simple business. You may also have noticed us say that without the right execution, ideas are simply nothing. Facebook, for example, was not a new idea, but rather a new way to execute on an existing idea. Just about everyone could see that social networking was not being used at its full potential during the Myspace era, but it took someone with the ideas, skillset, and willingness to bring the idea to life.

There are three major components that allow an idea to come to life, and one unspoken component.

- Creativity: How does your idea differ from others’?

Even though having an idea to start a concept that has already been established is great, it is very unlikely that without a tweak of innovation into the execution of the idea, anything will ever come of it. Many people may have an idea, but not all know how to differentiate it from others.

- Skillset: Do you know how to bring your idea to life?

Do you have a plan for making your idea a reality? More importantly, do you possess the skills required to create and deliver the creativity from idea to reality? Many may think they know how to do so, but often realize too late in their project that their imagination exceeds their skills, finding themselves at a major disadvantage.

- Time : Can you afford to invest your most precious resource time at 80 hours a week?

Time is required when bringing an idea to life, which it is much more difficult than most believe. You will spend countless nights without sleep, and will find yourself consumed in tasks with very little reward the first few years if you truly try to bring your idea from conception to reality. You will lose friends, you may get pushed back from family, and will even feel like you have given up your personal life. All of this will be worth it, as long as you can keep the vision of success alive in your mind.

The final component, however, is one that is never discussed, and very hard to describe but very necessary if you plan to see your idea to completion. That ingredient is called: Passion.

Are you passionate about your idea?

Do you truly believe above all that this idea will revolutionize an industry, city, country or the entire planet? If so, then will you devote your life to seeing it come to life? Do you believe that even if obstacles are present, even if you have to sleep in your car some nights, you will still see this idea to the end?

It takes all four of these ingredients to win and actually see to the end of an idea, the birth of innovation. Even though many people will share a common idea, and many will possess a similar mindset, very few people will actually have the idea, skillset, time, and passion you have — and therefore, they will never be able to steal your idea.
When you are new to entrepreneurship, you tend to focus on money, which is why you are always afraid someone is out to take it from you. As a result, you feel the need to keep to yourself and not seek help from others, reveal too much, or get others involved. Instead, you feel that everyone is a threat to you and your idea, and as a result, often take ten times longer to act on that idea. Remember that no one has all the four ingredients mentioned here in full.

Some of us have more skills than imagination, while others are more passionate but lack skills. It is a correct balance of the four that allows someone to win in the game of entrepreneurship and speed up their journey through action, and unfortunately, without sharing, you cant get the help from those that can help you bring your idea to life. Don’t be afraid to share, but instead be confident that no one wants to see your particular idea come to life more than you do, and that is the gift that allows it to come to life, not the NDA you asked 300 people to sign before thinking of starting.

More acting and more passion but less pondering.

For those who are not familiar with me, you can read more here on who I am.

Secret Entourage Founder in The Fast Lane

I am the founder of Secret Entourage and The Third Circle Theory.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

AntiGuru

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
There is a funny feeling whenever you talk to a new entrepreneur about their idea and ask them to explain how it will work or what the end result is supposed to look like. It seems as though many entrepreneurs are afraid to share their ideas, as they believe others may steal them or duplicate them, even at times perhaps faster than themselves — but is that feeling warranted, or is it just paranoia? Regardless of what it is, it keeps you from getting into the fast lane.

One of best pieces of advice I ever received was from a very successful self-made man who once told me "The world is up to its a$$ in great ideas. What counts is execution".

And I think he's right. You don't have to worry about somebody stealing your idea, as most people don't have the initiative, the drive and the tenacity to execute their own ideas let alone somebody else's. The poster is right, keeping your cards to your chest may do you more harm than good.

You tell somebody about your idea and they may either point out a problem with it that you need to solve, or they may become interested enough to become an ally or somehow involved. You may even realize that your idea isn't a good one, or that you're basic concept is flawed.

But in general, if the idea exists solely in your own mind, it runs the risk of staying there. Sharing it with others gets some reality testing and quite possibly some crucial refinement that makes it a game-changer.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
I had this exact discussion the other day. Someone asked what I was up to and followed with," I totally understand if you don't want to share your idea."(slow lane anyone?) and she was surprised when I told her,"ideas are dime a dozen. Execution is the deciding factor."

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Do you have a plan for making your idea a reality? More importantly, do you possess the skills required to create and deliver the creativity from idea to reality? Many may think they know how to do so, but often realize too late in their project that their imagination exceeds their skills, finding themselves at a major disadvantage.

This is rather vague to me. What IS a 'winning skillset', anyway? And how exactly would one assess their own skills against the skills needed for a certain project?

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
Obviously all big successes that everyone knows about by definition were "executed". Therefore it appears that execution is what counts. However, we never hear or read about all the poorly formed untested lousy ideas that were executed perfectly according to a (secret) plan. In that case, execution doesn't matter.

So I guess it depends on what type of "execution" is being commended. If it's the type of execution that involves sharing ideas, testing them, making sure that they are validated, yes sure execution is what counts. But if it's the type of execution that means "having an idea", then "making a plan" based on that idea, and then "following that plan", with progress measured by certain metrics (milestones on gantt charts etc), then that kind of execution is not such a wonderful thing to get excited about. And I think in most general use, the second type of execution is what people think of when they hear things like "execution is what counts", especially as the second type is the one found in typical "office work" projects. Just making a distinction there.

secretentourage

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jan 4, 2013
BOCA, LA, NY and VA
This is rather vague to me. What IS a 'winning skillset', anyway? And how exactly would one assess their own skills against the skills needed for a certain project?

You understand what it takes to bring something to life and what skills you will need to do so. For example, you might be IT and you have an idea that will revolutionize the health care industry but has no relevance to IT, but rather is about robotics. You need one of three skills to make that work: 1. you need to be a great relationship builder so you can convince a robotics expert to join you in your quest, 2.You must have lots of money to BUY the Robotics guy to join you, 3. You must know robotics.

People often dont have any of the 3 but yet have great ideas around something that is out of their reach. As a result of their lack of skill, they never move to the execution stage but rather look at it as a great idea they must shelter from others.

secretentourage

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jan 4, 2013
BOCA, LA, NY and VA
Obviously all big successes that everyone knows about by definition were "executed". Therefore it appears that execution is what counts. However, we never hear or read about all the poorly formed untested lousy ideas that were executed perfectly according to a (secret) plan. In that case, execution doesn't matter.

So I guess it depends on what type of "execution" is being commended. If it's the type of execution that involves sharing ideas, testing them, making sure that they are validated, yes sure execution is what counts. But if it's the type of execution that means "having an idea", then "making a plan" based on that idea, and then "following that plan", with progress measured by certain metrics (milestones on gantt charts etc), then that kind of execution is not such a wonderful thing to get excited about. And I think in most general use, the second type of execution is what people think of when they hear things like "execution is what counts", especially as the second type is the one found in typical "office work" projects. Just making a distinction there.

Execution is not planning but rather simply actions towards a goal, rather than thoughts towards a dream.

fsna.hartley

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jan 15, 2013
Execution is the great part. If you have a lot of ideas in mind but don't know how you'll do it then it's useless. I know a person with this kind of thinking and been with him for years now, lol. He does have a lot in mind, especially business plans but doesn't do or does less effort to work things out to make it a reality.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.