The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The best day at my job

Anything related to matters of the mind

Donovon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 8, 2015
Sunnyvale, California
The startup I work for just recently announced they would be giving stock options to all the employees. My gut reaction was extreme excitement. Stock options in one of the fastest growing start-ups? Wow! Three years from now I could have a ton of money, potentially a million dollars or more, from that perk alone if they do as well as they are projected to. That would be enough for me to really start putting together investments and growing them from there.

Except I started thinking about it more. What if the company fails? I have no control over its direction. What if they don't fail, but the stock never goes that high? Of course they have high projections, what if they aren't realistic? And who is making the REAL money? Let's say I DO end up with that much in options, I'm nearly at the bottom of the totem pole. Someone is really reeling in the money and it certainly won't be me.

The next day I went to work with a pounding headache and ended up taking a call from someone who yelled at me for around an hour straight. All I wanted was to go home. Stock options hadn't granted me freedom. They don't produce towards my goals of living the lifestyle I want.

So, don't get me wrong, it's potentially an amazing perk and I am happy they offered it. It may come in handy if I end up working there for an extended period of time, but it's not a guarantee of success or a solution to my goals.

I'm feeling a new wave of motivation. The best day at a job is still a day at a job.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.