The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Thanksgiving: Or How My Family Is Working To Death

Anything related to matters of the mind

Donovon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 8, 2015
Sunnyvale, California
The smell of turkey fills the air, the kitchen is filled with mashed potatoes, stuffing, pie, and all the other staples of Thanksgiving. The plates and silverware are set. Stomachs are growling in the overcrowded home, filled with several generations all coming together. One of the grandparents corrals the small children into the cramped dining room and asks them to be quiet for the dinner prayer. A hush fills the room as each individual bows their head in silence.

My grandfather opens his mouth "Our dear Heavenly Father, thank you for allowing us to gather today in our free time." What free time? I've spent the last 5 hours going from person to person, hearing about their financial woes. How half of you have lost your jobs or gotten pay cuts that have forced you to take hellish, unskilled, part-time work to cover your bills and maintain your minimalist lifestyle. I forgot to mention, I'm not a particularly religious individual, so it's a little difficult to turn off the internal dialogue that accompanies these things.

"Thank you for our health and well being". Almost on cue, a grandfather from the other end of the family coughs. There's a man whose eyes are constantly glazed over as he spends most of his time bed ridden. If I had to guess, he's less than a year away from dying. 40 years working in a coal mine does a hell of a lot of damage to your lungs. Did he ever get a chance to retire? To live his dreams? To do anything he wanted besides work in that damn coal mine? Not a chance. He spent his entire life there until he got too sick to work any more. Now his 60 year old wife is back in the work force full time as receptionist to keep them from losing their home.

"We appreciate your willingness to provide us fulfilling and meaningful work". Yeah? You think that's how my 35 year old aunt with 3 young boys would describe her job at the local movie theater getting paid minimum wage? You think that's how her husband would describe being laid off from his high paying job in the oil fields? She told me she works hard to save $30 a paycheck because she wants to 'vacation' to a city for a weekend that's less than a 4 hour drive away someday. That's what she aspires to.

The prayer ends and people leave the dining room to start preparing their food. Another family member approaches me and asks what I've been working on lately. I try to explain to them some of my ideas, which, at the moment, center around creating video-based courses and selling them online. I'm excited, so I start going into the details, and their eyes immediately glaze over. I give them a good excuse to leave the conversation, and watch as they walk over to talk to another family member about the latest overpriced mountain bike gadget. The same thing they'll spend a few hundred dollars on next week after their paycheck arrives. I can hear through the tone of that conversation that in 40 years, they'll be in the exact same place, waiting for their paycheck and coughing during the prayer.

I don't mean to make this into a religious matter or to attack my family, far from it. I just feel such a strong mix of disappointment and sadness to see the type of lives those I love have built for themselves. They have not been given (or won't accept) the perspective of believing you fully control your own world. That with a little discipline and hard work, you can actually have the things you want.

I am far from perfect in my own pursuits. I've spent a lot of time screwing around. My projects have come together slowly. This holiday, however, has cemented into my mind that the Sidewalk/Slowlane sticks forever. You only leave when you buckle down and choose to leave. If you don't, you will work for someone else for your entire life, you will work for less than you're worth, and you will be doing work you don't like. And, even worse, they can take your peasant's kingdom away at any moment. This has developed into a bit of a rant, but I guess it's my way of coping with the frustration and a bit of an eye opener. The world doesn't care what you want, only what you do for it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

JustinBoshans

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 14, 2013
This was a really important post for me today that reminded me of why I must work so hard to fulfill fastlane needs, not just for myself, but for the ones I love. Thank you.

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
I am far from perfect in my own pursuits. I've spent a lot of time screwing around. My projects have come together slowly. This holiday, however, has cemented into my mind that the Sidewalk/Slowlane sticks forever. You only leave when you buckle down and choose to leave. If you don't, you will work for someone else for your entire life, you will work for less than you're worth, and you will be doing work you don't like. And, even worse, they can take your peasant's kingdom away at any moment. This has developed into a bit of a rant, but I guess it's my way of coping with the frustration and a bit of an eye opener. The world doesn't care what you want, only what you do for it.

I've spoken about this before on the forum, so I apologise for all of you I'm boring to death by repeating myself, but I've had more than a few family gatherings like this. The truth is that my family isn't very entrepreneurial. There's also a large chunk of my friendship group who aren't and either see me as weird for how addicted I am to it or presume that it's some easy money making direction and want me to teach them the secrets of success that they can do in five minutes a week.

It took me a long time to realise one thing - my slow lane is another person's fast lane. For some people working 8 hours a day for an okay wage, being able to spend all weekend on the beach and have enough money to buy the latest gadget when it comes out is winning for them. It's truly all they want from life. I, on the other hand, am like a drug addict going through withdrawal if you make me sit still and do nothing for more than 5 minutes. This doesn't make either of us right or wrong. It just makes us different.

From the sounds of it @Donovon you're like me. Your fastlane is a road that doesn't end. its one that you'll never see the end because you're pushing that finish line further and further. Few people will understand that, and it's why groups like this are so important to offer support and hopefully blow away some of that frustration... and lets be honest we need some people be stuck in diferent lanes to us otherwise we'd all have no one to serve as everyone would be far too motivated to achieve their own goals themselves ;)

G

GuestUser140

Another family member approaches me and asks what I've been working on lately. I try to explain to them some of my ideas, which, at the moment, center around creating video-based courses and selling them online. I'm excited, so I start going into the details, and their eyes immediately glaze over
This.

Very recognizable. Keep your ambitions for yourself or only discuss them with like-minded people.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Awesome post, I agree with every word of it. I stopped trying to tell my family and friends what I do, I just do it without talking too much about it. Takes away those convos that make me angry lol.

G

Guest34764

Awesome post, I agree with every word of it. I stopped trying to tell my family and friends what I do, I just do it without talking too much about it. Takes away those convos that make me angry lol.

My mom Is convinced everyone I talk to Is a scam artist or a potential pedo.She's just acting like a mother, but sometimes It goes overboard.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

When I'm making bank I'll have a smug look on my face.I still love her to death though.

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
You'll find with most, it just comes from a position of not understanding. As you know, most 40+ year olds were taught "loyalty to company" (i.e. you "owe" the company for "taking care of your family." Complete hogwash as the company really isn't loyal, it's just cheaper to keep your relatives around than constantly replace.)

What I've found is when I create a concrete story they can understand, they're much more interested. If I immediately shoot into WHAT my company does, their eyes glaze over.

Instead, if I say: "I'm in transition from X to this new company I own that does Y. I'm making a couple thousand a month. Once I reach $5,000 a month in the next 6 months, I'll be able to work full-time on it."

It suddenly is concrete for them and they start asking more questions (many start asking about "health insurance" right away when you go full-time....the voice of "Being comfortable and safe" i.e. mediocre, rearing it's head again). Once you make it more concrete, they will be more interested. If you simply ramble on about making online videos, especially if you still live with your parents or are a bartender or something, their eyes will glaze over.

Everyone has passions, but most will never ever be able to turn it into full-time work. So hearing about your "side hobby" isn't really that cool.

Instead say: "Well, I'm in a transition phase. I'm bartending and also started my own company which makes instructional videos. I have a list of people on a waiting list to buy the videos and hope in the next 12 months to make enough per month to go full-time on it." After that, they'll usually ask a bunch of questions because they're interested and wish they could do the same.

If you already work for yourself, then use the phrase "work for yourself" and their jealousy from wanting to be their own boss for years will compel them to know how you did it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The smell of turkey fills the air, the kitchen is filled with mashed potatoes, stuffing, pie, and all the other staples of Thanksgiving. The plates and silverware are set. Stomachs are growling in the overcrowded home, filled with several generations all coming together. One of the grandparents corrals the small children into the cramped dining room and asks them to be quiet for the dinner prayer. A hush fills the room as each individual bows their head in silence.

My grandfather opens his mouth "Our dear Heavenly Father, thank you for allowing us to gather today in our free time." What free time? I've spent the last 5 hours going from person to person, hearing about their financial woes. How half of you have lost your jobs or gotten pay cuts that have forced you to take hellish, unskilled, part-time work to cover your bills and maintain your minimalist lifestyle. I forgot to mention, I'm not a particularly religious individual, so it's a little difficult to turn off the internal dialogue that accompanies these things.

"Thank you for our health and well being". Almost on cue, a grandfather from the other end of the family coughs. There's a man whose eyes are constantly glazed over as he spends most of his time bed ridden. If I had to guess, he's less than a year away from dying. 40 years working in a coal mine does a hell of a lot of damage to your lungs. Did he ever get a chance to retire? To live his dreams? To do anything he wanted besides work in that damn coal mine? Not a chance. He spent his entire life there until he got too sick to work any more. Now his 60 year old wife is back in the work force full time as receptionist to keep them from losing their home.

"We appreciate your willingness to provide us fulfilling and meaningful work". Yeah? You think that's how my 35 year old aunt with 3 young boys would describe her job at the local movie theater getting paid minimum wage? You think that's how her husband would describe being laid off from his high paying job in the oil fields? She told me she works hard to save $30 a paycheck because she wants to 'vacation' to a city for a weekend that's less than a 4 hour drive away someday. That's what she aspires to.

The prayer ends and people leave the dining room to start preparing their food. Another family member approaches me and asks what I've been working on lately. I try to explain to them some of my ideas, which, at the moment, center around creating video-based courses and selling them online. I'm excited, so I start going into the details, and their eyes immediately glaze over. I give them a good excuse to leave the conversation, and watch as they walk over to talk to another family member about the latest overpriced mountain bike gadget. The same thing they'll spend a few hundred dollars on next week after their paycheck arrives. I can hear through the tone of that conversation that in 40 years, they'll be in the exact same place, waiting for their paycheck and coughing during the prayer.

I don't mean to make this into a religious matter or to attack my family, far from it. I just feel such a strong mix of disappointment and sadness to see the type of lives those I love have built for themselves. They have not been given (or won't accept) the perspective of believing you fully control your own world. That with a little discipline and hard work, you can actually have the things you want.

Very powerful writing. I felt what you were trying to convey. At least however, they weren't standing in line hoping to score a 4K TV on the cheap.

Incidentally, after TDay dinner while relaxing on the couch in front of the fire, we saw a TV news report about the black Friday (or grey Thursday) shopping rush. They panned across the crowd waiting in line. I swear, every person standing in line waiting to consume the latest hot gadget was obese. They interviewed one lady waiting and she said she left Thanksgiving immediately after dinner to join the waiting crowd. And then with a big grin on her face she reported "Yea, and I just had a baby-- I left my newborn to be here."

Folks, this woman was smiling ear-to-ear and spankingly proud she left her newborn with relatives so she could stand in line waiting for the privilege to spend money under the guise of saving it. Precious moments with your newborn? Nawwww... not when there's 30% off.

Consumption of moments for consumption of stuff.

Last edited:

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
"Our dear Heavenly Father, thank you for allowing us to gather today in our free time."
"Thank you for our health and well being"
"We appreciate your willingness to provide us fulfilling and meaningful work".

This was the most valuable part of this post to me. Despite the hardships these people had, they were still willing, in some small way, to be grateful.

Donovon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 8, 2015
Sunnyvale, California
This was the most valuable part of this post to me. Despite the hardships these people had, they were still willing, in some small way, to be grateful.

I absolutely agree gratitude is an important and powerful part of life, so I hope it didn't come across as me mocking them for being thankful for what they have. I just see gratitude as divorced from fulfillment. In past times, a slave might be grateful they were only beaten instead of having their arm cut off, and I wouldn't hold it against them, but that doesn't mean they were living a complete and fulfilled life. Their quality of life was more what I was hoping to focus on.

The majority of my family spent the evening complaining, mainly related to issues due to lack of control in their financial lives. None of them really want to be in their current situation, they just don't understand an alternative exists (or deny it). I imagine it's also improper etiquette to recite a Thanksgiving prayer full of gripes haha.

Thanks for the comment, I'm glad you got something from it. Best of luck to you!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.