The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Taking it easy...

Anything related to matters of the mind

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I am just coming out of somewhat of a fog.

My business is good by most people's measurements.

Not by mine.

In a private discussion amongst friends very early in 2014, I set out to achieve a 300% multiplier to my year over year business. "There are no limits," I said. "Nobody can stop me," I said. "20% growth is bullshit," I said.

However, I proceeded to do nothing to achieve the 300% increase trajectory. I am not on pace to hit the BIG numbers and big talk I started out the year with. See, because it was just talk and did not accompany big action.

I did the same things I did in 2013, and hoped for different results. We're 1/4th of the way through the year, and I am on pace for a nominal (20%) increase. I have taken some little baby steps faking at significant change, but in reality you reap what you sew. I should be expecting the same results, because I didn't do anything differently. Other than talk, and tell others how THEY should be driving results.

I am calling myself out for bullshit. Yes, the income is still passive. Yes, I can still sit on the beach when I want to. But... the thrill is gone. The thrill is gone because I am not driving. Harder. Faster. The things I tell OTHERS to do. My advice is spot on about how to climb mountains... I am just sitting in an easy chair as I tell others how to become great.

So, about a few weeks ago I got off my a$$. New ideas. New products. New initiatives. It all comes flowing.

I was sitting back, taking it easy, and letting the world happen around me, instead of happening to the world. Life gives you what you deserve some times. What I deserve(d) was nominal growth.

Nobody is beating down my door to buy me out. I really don't want them too yet. The multiple would be too low.

So, build. Press harder. There are no limits, other than your own (and my own) sorry a$$. I am guilty of taking things easy lately. Guilty of accepting the status quo. Guilty, having achieved a certain level of success, of believing my own bullshit.

Time to build.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
We're 1/4th of the way through the year,

In a word: F*ck.

I also have not been nearly as steadfast as I need to be. I also continue to make passive income, albeit just a fraction of what my plan was supposed to be.

I've fallen into the trap of letting small delays become big ones.

Thanks for the reminder that time doesn't wait for us.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Random. The model works. I have watched and helped several others find scale.

Don't EVER let yourself become lazy.

I believe the market can easily pass you by. If I was hard core in the candle business, and I stopped paying attention to what was happening, a new candle company could come along and do things better. They would overtake me, and they should. I gave up by being lazy. I didn't deserve the top spot in the market. Relentless pursuit is what is required. You are either building, or dying.

Process is not vulnerable, but competition is.

Staying sharp. That edge you have when you bring in your first product, create your first app, fall in love for the first time.

That's the passion that you have to maintain to drive crazy results.

If you let up, even for a moment, life can creep up on you.

A young kid I am now familiar with is taking daily action to change his life. He has that passion in his belly. He has that drive. He knows there is more out there than what he can see. He will get to it.

Lazy. Lazy, easy, complacent creeps in --- in place of the fire in your gut. I was not too far gone to recognize it, but it's time to kick things in hyper gear.

I surrounded myself with action takers. It's easy to talk the talk. Time to walk the walk (again).

Thanks for your post.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
In a word: F*ck.

I also have not been nearly as steadfast as I need to be. I also continue to make passive income, albeit just a fraction of what my plan was supposed to be.

I've fallen into the trap of letting small delays become big ones.

Thanks for the reminder that time doesn't wait for us.

We're 1/4th through the year.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Don't EVER let yourself become lazy...

...If you let up, even for a moment, life can creep up on you...

...Lazy. Lazy, easy, complacent creeps in --- in place of the fire in your gut...

...It's easy to talk the talk. Time to walk the walk (again).

Sadly, I understand.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I blame taxes. It is easy to get demotivated when this is the time you realize you work 5 months out of the year for the government. I have spent much of q1 just complying with laws and saving money that I know I will have to dish out to people like this.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/33373133...-on-one-with-surfer-on-welfare/#sp=show-clips

Vig the douche in this video is lazy, not you. Either way, you have earned your right to be lazy if you want to by building a passive and successful business. Sometimes you need to get pissed at the status quo before you jump back on it and need more. I'm as guilty as anyone.

Last edited:

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
It's not just action that you have to take. You have to know when to change the little actions that will keep you from growing. Once you build any process that is showing signs of success, its hard to let go of certain parts of the process that need upgrading.

I'm not really good at explaining things of this nature, because I am just figuring this out myself.

But everyone has automatic behavior that they do on a day to day basis. The secret is to make it harder to perform certain automatic rituals.
For example:

I wake up every morning and make a cup of coffee, it is pretty automatic for me. So what I did was I swapped the silverware drawer for another draw. So when I went to reach for a spoon to stir my coffee, I was like wtf!!! when I reached in and grabbed something I wasn't looking for. Then I remembered, "Oh, Yea. I did this to bring me back to reality so I could remind myself what I need to focus on today to grow."

Basically if you want to grow at anything, you have to remind yourself as much as possible to not get stuck at any level.. At every level there is a chance to get stuck in a comfort loop.

I hope that helps a little bit.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I'm blaming comfort zone and complacency. It's easy for me to ease off the pressure when our needs are met and the peripheral shit is surrounding us. I have to work on working more on the machine while still battling the alligators. I need to do more because I can.

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
I blame taxes. I have spent much of q1 just complying with laws and saving money that I know I will have to dish out to people like this.
http://video.foxnews.com/v/33373133...-on-one-with-surfer-on-welfare/#sp=show-clips
Vig the cock sucker in this video is lazy, not you. Either way, you have earned your right to be lazy if you want to by building a passive and successful business. Sometimes you need to get pissed at the status quo before you jump back on it and need more. I'm as guilty as anyone.

WTF.AGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I have a friend that is working for his family business. He makes just short of 7 figures annually.

He's about to jump ship. He wants to put himself into a position of urgency. He wants to build.

He wants to strike out on his own. He doesn't want to work for the machine.

He wants to BE the machine. He's probably going to quit this week. Quit - his family business.

Leave the nest. And make something of himself. By himself.

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
no-limits.png

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
BTW I just brought in my first products into the United States since last Fall. It's starting...

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
It is so unbelievably true that time doesn't wait for you. Sometimes I feel it takes getting disgusted with yourself before you realize this and pushing again.

exige

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 20, 2013
Bucks County, PA
He's about to jump ship. He wants to put himself into a position of urgency. He wants to build.

He wants to strike out on his own. He doesn't want to work for the machine.

He wants to BE the machine.
This. I lost my day job yesterday. It was very lucrative. But it was making me complacent and consuming a huge chunk of my time. It will probably turn out to be the best thing that has happened for my business endeavors. My motivation level is already much higher and my wife commented that I seemed to have something back. It is very easy to get lazy when the money is just enough to make you too comfortable. I have done more in the past 24 hours for my actual business then I've accomplished in the last 2 months.

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
It is so unbelievably true that time doesn't wait for you. Sometimes I feel it takes getting disgusted with yourself before you realize this and pushing again.

Yea, I think you are right.

I also think that not all periods of taking it easy have to be long in order to be devastating. I've pretty much wasted my entire morning and I feel like an :asshat:. I am disgusted right now, so I am getting off the forum and going to get some stuff done. Thanks for the kick guys.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
The worst part of this is that time doesn't wait for you, but trying things and finding a winning business takes time...

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The worst part of this is that time doesn't wait for you, but trying things and finding a winning business takes time...

Which is exactly why the best time to take action was yesterday. The second best time to take action is today.

Tomorrow is bullshit.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
In a private discussion amongst friends very early in 2014, I set out to achieve a 300% multiplier to my year over year business. "There are no limits," I said. "Nobody can stop me," I said. "20% growth is bullshit," I said.
However, I proceeded to do nothing to achieve the 300% increase trajectory. I am not on pace to hit the BIG numbers and big talk I started out the year with. See, because it was just talk and did not accompany big action.

Is this because you didn't really have any driving reason behind why you wanted that level of growth when you made those statements to your friends, other than "just because?"

So, about a few weeks ago I got off my a$$. New ideas. New products. New initiatives. It all comes flowing.
What was the catalyst that changed your mindset and caused you to take action, and why wasn't that present when you made your initial delaration that 20% growth was bullshit?

It seems many of us put goals out for ourselves but fail to reach them, then there is some catalyst, and then we start crushing it like it appears you have. The connections between goal, drive, catalyst and action are facinating to me.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
@Vigilante....I'm guilty of NOT moving fast enough too. Changed that in a hurry last week.

For me...maybe you too ? Is it really about hitting the numbers or goal ? I mean, I have a number I'm looking at right now on my wall and that's a starting target....my challenge. Of course I want all that comes with that money, especially the freedom, but for me, it's more than that too.

I love challenges man. I mean....really love them. Now, because of my 'look' and physical build, I've been challenged many, many times and turned them down. ( but not all :blackeye: :D ). So I pick my challenges because if someone else picks for me....it's just not the same. It's like...I get something in my head and damn I really want that.

ahhh....maybe I'm off here. Maybe it is just about the money. :greedy:

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
You are also old, arn't you like 45? I mean you cant even make it into most of the mastermind groups here...

The problem is we have done it for a long long time, and it becomes the same thing. I wish I had the ideas and thoughts I have now at 22... I would be a rich man.

I have done zero for the first 1/4 of this year except let other people do what they wanted. On auto pilot as it were, I am making myself make calls just so I can get back into the game again. Hopefully this will kick start it.

nitrousflame

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Aug 7, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Wow, this thread could not have come at a better time. I too have been in a fog of complacency with a general lack of fervor. It has become apparent in both my business life as well as my personal life. Of course, the only one responsible for this is myself.

Go ahead and add me to the self call-out list. The alarm has gone off, and it's time to wake up. :)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
So for anybody else that my rant resonated with… It is only of any value if it is followed by specific, tactical corrective action.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Fantastic thread. If people are truly honest with themselves, I doubt a single person here hasn't felt this way.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
So for anybody else that my rant resonated with… It is only of any value if it is followed by specific, tactical corrective action.

- Took back control of a dealer/reseller agreement that I had licensed to make passive income. I'll now be making 100% active profit instead of 20% passive profits, with only an additional hour of work per month. My pallet arrived at my aparement today - I'll be shipping to Amazon for FBA this weekend
- Invented my Poop Shield (detailed in another thread), improved the prototype and am shipping it to my first customer today
- Ran FB ads against my landing page for running coaching and motiviation service. No conversions, so I revamped the copy, changed the approach, and am targeting different customer set. Initiating ad run #2 tonight.

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013
@Vigilante Thanks for this thread. I had been worried since it seems that I always go from one idea to the other and had been shutting out other business ideas. However, I went back and looked at my little black book of ideas and found one I wrote down the other day and it made me think.

It will be a different product in a different niche than what I am currently in but it will use the same channels for distribution. I can tackle it at the same time using the same process.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ

Please SEARCH before posting.