The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Switching to fastlane - Your odds are better in europe then US?

Nur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Apr 4, 2014
inequality-vs-social-mobility.jpg

US have lower social mobility?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Nur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Apr 4, 2014
double post (tapatalk unreliable - opportunity?)

Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Yes...I've been taking a look at European Business in articles and translating them. Offline they just seem to be more creative. Since I've been over here I notice that every where I go. I've been America my whole life, and even notice the same popular magazines are made to fit the culture. I can't read everything, but just the creativity in ads, and signs, displays, decorations, structure of stores, and offices. Like the dentist today felt more like I was going to a castle.

I ate in a real greek restaurant last week, and the way the food is displayed was awesome. Usually do run into this every time we eat out. There just more artsy and creative with everything. We're so simple and bland after being here. lol

Hope

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 22, 2014
I'd say that anywhere with good business laws, cheap living accommodations, and high speed internet is the best place for an entrepreneur to live.

From my research these places seem to be: South America, South East Asia, or Eastern Europe.

I personally want to live in eastern europe.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Um...nope...but always good to do research.

integrity

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Apr 6, 2014
In a country like the USA, people aren't limited by their socio-economic status, wealth inequality, or "social mobility."

People are limited by what they choose to believe they are capable of. Or should I say, people can go as far as they believe they can go.

chrischapman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 3, 2014
Sydney, Australia
isn't being fastlane part of social mobility?

depends how you look at it. If you want to hinge your income upon income expectations set in the labour market and typical slowlane money making opportunities, then that relates to social mobility.

Remember that social mobility is an indicator of income elasticity of an entire generation. It reflects things like access to education, small business regulations and such factors.

Social (society) mobility (speed) is the speed at which society goes in the slowlane. It is how much a slowlaner can expect their income to increase compared to their parents. That is since all slowlaners are on the same road.

The fastlane is a separate road and thus your (mobility) speed is not a function of the speed of society. Maybe a tiny bit.

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014
Misleading chart, and one almost surely created by a slowlaner to prove a certain political bias.

The size of the middle class and social mobility is somewhat important because it provides a bigger pool of consumers (and people who feel richer spend more), but it is a global world, and even that isn't a make or break factor.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
For all those American young bucks who think the US is no longer the land of opportunity, may I suggest Pakistan. It's higher on the chart.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
US have lower social mobility?

Your chart is measuring something, but it has nothing to do with fastlane. Your odds probably ARE better in Europe if your metric is simply living a non-shitty life. Norway is higher than the US on the mobility/equality list because it has free education and a more homogeneous culture that values education and is very egalitarian. It also has very low unemployment a very high starting wage, so if you have job, pretty much any job at all, you aren't poor.

So yes, moving between the typical social segments here is probably much easier in the US. However, what the chart doesn't tell you is how much money people in those segments make. The bottom rung of the Norwegian salary ladder is much higher than in the US (although the cost of living makes it much less of a difference than it might seem), but what about the top rungs? the ones that we're all aspiring to? The ladder may be easier to climb in Norway, but you may find that it's a lot shorter than you'd like.

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
As a fastlaner (in training) this sort of graph is like reading the headlines on any national daily newspapers. It's relevance is purely statistical, unless you belong to that 95% of the global population? The only graph that interests me is the one on my white magnetic wall board, that plots my daily progress.

Nur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Apr 4, 2014
Your chart is measuring something, but it has nothing to do with fastlane. Your odds probably ARE better in Europe if your metric is simply living a non-shitty life. Norway is higher than the US on the mobility/equality list because it has free education and a more homogeneous culture that values education and is very egalitarian. It also has very low unemployment a very high starting wage, so if you have job, pretty much any job at all, you aren't poor.

So yes, moving between the typical social segments here is probably much easier in the US. However, what the chart doesn't tell you is how much money people in those segments make. The bottom rung of the Norwegian salary ladder is much higher than in the US (although the cost of living makes it much less of a difference than it might seem), but what about the top rungs? the ones that we're all aspiring to? The ladder may be easier to climb in Norway, but you may find that it's a lot shorter than you'd like.

People of Norway doesn't have the have's and have not mentality?

anyway just to share this video Larry Page talks about 4 hour work week and more equal society while Vinod Khosla seems not happy where people can leave work to pursue their self interest. via 19:40

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
People of Norway doesn't have the have's and have not mentality?

Not really from my experience, as least for social class (though they do seem to dislike people that exploit the welfare system). The "haves" tend to be a little embarrassed about it even. This gets mentioned a lot as the reason why:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Jante

integrity

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Apr 6, 2014
This thread can quickly get political so I'll tread lightly.

The US gets a bad rap because of the growing wealth inequality here. Other countries try to "solve" this by implementing policies that attempt to take more from those who have earned more to give to those who have not.

If you think that is a good idea, try starting a business in a country with zero wealth inequality. Good luck.

Last edited:

OnlineGodfather

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Feb 4, 2013
i am from europe and whoever is from USA and thinks europe is better should rethink and try it
there(in USA) since there are far more opportunities and its much more keen to businesses, from my point of view.

In europe, there is language barrier, there is culture barrier and so on, every country more or less on its own and has its own rules.

Yes, there might be some connections and so on but the point is that in US you all speak english and just
that is powerfull enough and you still all are under one nation even though there might be different rules
aswell by the states but that doesnt matter so much.

After all, you can always try and see it for yourself, i just see where i am now and what was my expirience
in europe and what was my expirience dealing with US businesses. I live in southern central europe.

about the wealth inequality, that is everywhere.

Basicly, its just a bunch of excuses. Make it happen and thats it, dont find reasons why not to make and cry.

D

DeletedUser394

This thread... Seriously, who cares?

Social Mobility

I can make money in the North, East, West, and South. From Canada, the USA, Europe, Africa, the Middle East.. everywhere.

Location is and always has been an excuse. Social mobility? Irrelevant. If you live in a free, or even semi free (China, etc) society you can achieve big things.

Drop me in a foreign country, half way around the world where I don't speak the language... and I'll find a way to make it work.

Inequality

I don't care what other people have or don't have, unless it relates to filling an unmet need. Inequality? The world isn't fair.

Society is so unequal.. would y'all rather return to Feudal Europe? Where some douchebag owns everything and everyone else is basically a slave? Nowadays sure seems a lot more equitable.

My life is not affected by the fact that MJ had a Lamborghini. Good for him.

Because one person is rich, that is not the reason another person is poor.

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
The thing that makes it a bit harder in Europe in my opinion is that every country has a different language.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
They have translator's, certain countries make it mandatory to know English, and you can learn the language yourself. So Just depends on how you perceive things. I read foreign websites all the time with a translator. Learning dutch now, and thinking about learning others as well. Makes you more valuable if you know more than your competition. One language at a time. One hour a day. After awhile you'll know something new and useful.

Jam Wheel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jul 14, 2014
UK/US/SE
Well, in terms of starting a business the graph doesn't take certain risk parameters into account like ease of business formation, corruption, government interference, etc. No way on gods green earth would I start a business in Sweden unless I had to do so (despite the location in my tag!) due to high level of bureaucracy and taxation. The tax structure alone pretty much supports the Law of Jante. I would also argue that entrepreneurship as a life choice is not wholly supported in the culture for very much the same reason. Easier to sit on your a$$ claiming benefits while looking for a job than *gasp* go outside the bounds of social norms and possibly become better/richer than others!

Someone with the systems and skills to make money will do fine in any location, but its the cultural norms and support systems that will dictate the length of time and number of barriers to success.

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
Well, in terms of starting a business the graph doesn't take certain risk parameters into account like ease of business formation, corruption, government interference, etc. No way on gods green earth would I start a business in Sweden unless I had to do so (despite the location in my tag!) due to high level of bureaucracy and taxation. The tax structure alone pretty much supports the Law of Jante. I would also argue that entrepreneurship as a life choice is not wholly supported in the culture for very much the same reason. Easier to sit on your a$$ claiming benefits while looking for a job than *gasp* go outside the bounds of social norms and possibly become better/richer than others!

Someone with the systems and skills to make money will do fine in any location, but its the cultural norms and support systems that will dictate the length of time and number of barriers to success.
And on the other side, more barriers to entry = less competition.

I've moved from Germany to Brazil exactly for this. Brazil is the 116th hardest place to open a business due to bureaucracy. If everything in life was easy, how boring would it be?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.