The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Struggling to Find Needs ? Try This…

Greystone

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Oct 14, 2012
France
You want to change your mindset from money seeker to need finder ?

Here is a concrete little exercise I have experimented those last few weeks and that's working very well. It's quite simple, and it will enable your mind to be more tuned to other people expectations and needs. If you try it for long enough, you will feel a change in your mindset. It's inevitable.

Here it is:

1. Go to a forum in connection with the industry you are the most familiar with. Are you passionate about flying aeroplanes? Go to a pilot forum. Are you in the bodybuilding business? Go to a bodybuilding forum. Avoid going to a forum where you don't know anything about. It’s better if the forum is current and up to date, of course.

2. Now, go to the beginners section. Beginners complain a lot, so it’s a good place for us who are looking for needs. If there isn’t a beginner section, just go to the most popular section of the forum, it should be fine.

3. Your exercise starts here:

Find the threads where you can find any of these words in the title: “I can’t stand …” OR “I am lost” OR “I need” OR “HELP!”, OR “I’m desperate” OR "I'm seek of" OR "I hate", or any other word that points out a PROBLEM. Read every topic title, until you find one that contains one of the previous words I listed. You might have to search for a long time, it depends on several factors. But it doesn’t matter how long it will take you, just do it and persevere. Your final goal is to eventually detect the magic words ("need", "lost", "problem", "sick of", etc.) without even thinking. It must become an automatism for you, there must be a trigger in your brain the moment you read them. You might have to practice a little bit to achieve that, but you will do it. Your brain doesn't like change, so you will have to accustom it to this new way of thinking. It's not hard, it's just a matter of repetition (just like auto suggestion).

4. Now that you have found your topic containing the magic word, it’s time for you to read it. You have to understand the problem: you have to find out the reason why the author of the topic is so anxious, angry or scared. In 99% of the cases, the reason will be explained in the very first message, logical. So the most important message is the first one. In this message, if the author is not a little teenager who is complaining about nonsense, he will tell the community about a real problem he is facing, or a need he is feeling.

5. Now open a blank sheet, call it “Unmet needs in the … industry” or whatever, and write the problem you just picked up. What I personnally do is this: I copy/paste the original quote of the auhtor, and I comment it below. For instance, if the author says : "Oh... i'm so f*cked up. I can't find a bodybuilding website where they give you an accurate method to gain muscles without taking insane amounts of drug. I want to stay natural!". I will copy/paste this quote in my blanksheet and write the problem below with my own words, to make sure I have understood it. For instance, my comment will go like : "This man is complaing about how he can't find a webiste that gives natural methods for bodybuilding". It doesn't need to be complicated. It's just the way I do it, but you can do it the way you want. The important thing here is to write the problem you have just found with your own words, to make sure you have understood it.

6. Repeat the procedure. Do it for several hours with as many topics as you can. Also, after you've done one forum, go to another one. List on your blanksheet all the problems you find on your way. Be persistent. You won't get any result if you quit after 30 minutes of trying. Personally I’ve done this exercise for 10 days, 3 to 5 hours a day, and I ended up with a 24 pages Word document full of complaints and unmet needs in my industry. Forums are really gold mines to find needs.

7. At the end of the exercise, you will find that there are recurring problems that come back in a repetitive way. You will find that some problems have been written numerous times in your blanksheet. These are the most important ones to focus on, because if several people have complained about them, on different topics and on different forums, then it's very likely that there is an unsolved problem there. What I personnally do is this: after I have written a given complaint for about 5 to 10 times, I decide it's time to write it in big caps: "NEED + the description of the need". This goes like:

NEED: people always complain about how they can't find a natural bodybuilding method on the web. I've listed 15+ complaints talking about that, there really must be something to be done here if so many people talk about it".

NEED: I have listed so many complaints about how bodybuilding websites can't give a step by step training program for beginners.

NEED: people always say they quit bodybuilding after a couple of weeks because they feel on their own. Maybe they would like to team up with other people in their neighboorhoods.

(These are just random needs invented for the purpose of this exercise).
You will then have a document full of unmet needs, and potential business ideas in your industry. You mind will be trained to be more attentive to other people problems.

Give it a try. You really have nothing to lose.

Let me know how it works out for you. Feel free to give me your feedbacks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Greystone

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Oct 14, 2012
France
I appreciate you guys like it. Give us some feedback once you have tested the method and tell us how it worked out for you.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
Well, I spent 5 hours trying this in my current area of expertise, and failure ensued. Wow, my slowlane is even worse than I thought unless I target the supply market. Thanks for the awesome idea @Greystone, but this certainly is not universal.

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
Well, I spent 5 hours trying this in my current area of expertise, and failure ensued. Wow, my slowlane is even worse than I thought unless I target the supply market. Thanks for the awesome idea @Greystone, but this certainly is not universal.
Maybe it's not universal because there's a limited scale? If it were a big market, there would definitely be a source of complaints somewhere in the internet, wouldn't it?

Greystone

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Oct 14, 2012
France

Hi IAmTheJeff,

First, thank you for giving a try to this method.

May I ask you what industry are you in?
Also, would you mind telling us a little bit more about how did it go for you? Maybe your industry isn't appropriate, but still, It would be surprising to not find at least a few recurring complaints.

I would suggest you to give it another try later. Maybe 5 hours in a row for the 1st attempt is a bit too much. Maybe the forum was innapropriate (some forums don't make the grade, who knows why). I would suggest you to go to a very popular forum, the #1 in your industry. There has to be some complaints somewhere, look deeper.

Also, remember that the "magic words" list is not exaustive. I have also found that sometimes question-threads might be a good indicator of a hidden need inside.

Threads like:

"How do you do when....?"
"What can I do to ...?"
"What's wrong with...?"
"Why can't I ...?"
"Is there really no ...?"
"Can you give some advice ...?"
"Can you help me?"

etc.

Remember that you are not necessarily looking for "revolutionnary needs", but small things to change in the business. The needs you'll find might specifics, like:

-> "I can't stand the way they always talk to you on this bodybuilding website. They might be the big dogs, still, I hate the way they reply to your inquiries, calling you "dude" or "bro", and insinuating your are lazy when you don't know how to carry out their super-hard exercises."

-> "My gym membership is going to expire, but TheFamousFranchise gym tell me that I have to pay an extra 500$ because of (whatever reason). I hate when they ask you for money at the moment you expect it the least. They should give you clear regulations right at the beginning, so you don't have any hidden cost later on. They won't see me again soon."

-> "I am looking for a military bodybuilding program that mixes bodybuilding exercises with a military kind of lifestyle: persistence, discipline and courage. Rather than going to a gym and taking insane amounts of steroids, I'd like to exercise my body in the nature, climbing on trees, doing pullups on branches, swimming in the rivers like a commando, etc. Everyone is telling me about this website, but I don't like it. The design is horrible, there is no coach to follow you in your progress, and they never respond to your inquiries. Morover, the program they offer is not for begginers. Anyone to help me?"

Although all the quotes above are pure invention and might sound a bit stupid, it's really the kind of comment you often find on forums. And when you gather 5, 10 or 20 comments of the same nature, it might show you a real gap in the industry that you can take advantage of.

Keep me updated guys, and ask me your questions.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
My slowlane industry is auto body. There are a few forums and message boards, but most are very slow for the most part. I did use the four top sites to do my diligence. The problem is that the user base is not there, not that the resources are lacking.

A lot of what's being asked are specific questions by inexperienced users about things that can truly only be learned through experience or trial and error, and have many different factors surrounding them, which makes it very difficult to pull a niche from. Yes, I could do a video tutorial suite on how to (do body work, paint, whatever) but someone in Colorado would have a different experience than someone in Brazil.

The biggest complaints are surrounding employers' choice of product lines, and working conditions. I see no plausible way if handling the working condition complaint, and the majority of shops are very reluctant to change product lines due to the incredible cost and/or contracts with their suppliers. The only way to effect this issue would be to find and wholesale new and different products to the suppliers. I'll be researching that option after work today. It would be great to find a new product that solves an issue that exists in my industry!

I will also be looking in to other markets that I have an interest in, but have less knowledge of. I'll post about how it goes afterwards.

I can still see the massive value in this method, it just may be that my industry is not technologically adapted yet.

Greystone

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Oct 14, 2012
France
IamTheJeff, I see your problem.

I'm not sure about what auto body is exactly, but I guess it's related to cars, right?

So I would suggest you to do the exercise on a "normal", more popular car forum. It doesn't matter if you don't find needs directly related to the auto body industry, the main purpose of the exercise is to train the mind to be more need/problem receptive. The ultimate goal is that something triggers in your brain automatically as soon as you read the magic word. After that, whenever you'll read something, your eyes will catch the magic words like a robot.That's the first goal. Now, if it also enables you to find a need directly in your industry, its' even better, it's 1stone-2birds and it's great (that's why I suggest to start on a forum related to your industry or any industry you are familiar with).

Don't give up my friend, give it another try soon.

-----------------------------------------------------

Here is a list of all the magic words I can think of:

- Need ("I need some help guys!"),
- Help ("Help! I can't find a way to ...")
- Anxious ("I'm so anxious when...")
- Lost ("I am so lost, I need help.")
- Sick of (Powerful one. "I'm sick of all these websites trying to ...")
- Disgusted by ("I'm disgusted by all these scams on such or such forum")
- Tired of/exhausted by ("I'm so tired of this website, I got scammed last time! Security anyone?")
- Desperate (''I'm so desperate to always lose my purse in night club, when I'm drunk.")
- Hate ("I hate when ...". What do you hate so much?)
- However ("This program is good, however...". I love this last one, that means there's something to be improved right here. I don't know how many times I have read this word on forums, and they almost always expressed a possible business idea. Powerful word.)
- Yes, but ... (but what? What's the problem my friend? Tell me everything...)
- It doesn't work
- It's s too complicated
- It gets me out of my nerves/it iritates me
- Angry ("It makes me so angry when...")
- The hardest part / The most difficult thing is ....("The hardest part is to find a good Guitar coach on the web, not a scam,". Interesting. I have personally found a crazy amount of complaints talking about this particular problem in my country.)
- What's wrong with ...?
- I really don't know how to ...
- I've been searching for decades and ...
- I don't know how to...
- I wish there was (guys, this one is GOLD. Imagine "I wish there was a way to find bodybuilding partners on the web so that we can support each other and not quit after 3 weeks, like a social network, you know. But i've been searching everywhere, there's really nothing." 5 complaints of the same kind, and here you go, you've got a business waiting for you.)
- General complaints like: It's shit! It's f*cked up! It sucks, It's rubbish, etc.
- I can't stand when ...
- It's so hard! (Well, there must be a way to make it easier then, and push it closer to the path of least resistance)
- I'm out of ideas guys. I need your help to make this list grow, i'm not a native English speaker, I can't find a way to give your more magic words. Oooh... I'm so desperate! I wish there was a program where you could just speak in your native language and it would translate it directly on your screen into another language, with no mistakes. There's already one existing, but it's shitty, because it cant'...

Hopefully, you get the idea ;-).

People's minds are programed to avoid contradictions, they like when it freely flows (the law of least resistance).

Last edited:

ChristopherP

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 11, 2014
New Jersey, USA
Jeff, I think you just went too narrow. Think cars in general.

I heard Dave Freitas on a podcast, SPI I think, who heard everyone complaining online about the mats in the Mazda 3 ... so he went and made good ones, and then made bank. There's just one example of the kinds of things you could find. Problems in want of solutions.

Albert Liao

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 22, 2014
When I think forums, I think reddit. What's everyone's thoughts on utilizing reddit for identifying needs?

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
When I think forums, I think reddit. What's everyone's thoughts on utilizing reddit for identifying needs?
I believe the exercise isn't necessarily to identify needs RIGHT NOW, rather to teach yourself how to identify key words and phrases that point to a need. If you find a need from anywhere, awesome! But this is more a brain training thing I think.

Greystone

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Oct 14, 2012
France
Ok guys, I just tried to apply the method in an industry I don't know much about, and I wouldn't recommend it. I tried on a popular bodybuilding forum. I found plenty of complaints, but the problem is I couldn't turn these exposed problems into solutions, because I don't know much about bodybuilding.

However, if you just want te get your mind used to detecting the magic words I mentionned above in this topic, you can do that anywhere.

So, to make it short:
A) you want to get your mind used to detecting needs: you can do it on any forum/blog.
B) you want A + finding solutions to the needs in the same time: stay in your industry.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
I did the same, but had decent results after a small bit of research. If I spend a little more time researching, I have a feeling I'll learn enough to solve needs in this industry. More on this later...

Greystone

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Oct 14, 2012
France
Keep at it Jeff, I guarantee you will see results if you persist. At worst, your will have trained your mind to be more receptive to needs and problems.

Greystone

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Oct 14, 2012
France
Hello Guys,

I hope you are all going well.

This morning, I typed in the keywords "I hate" in the forum search engine, and got this:

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/search/366077/?q=i+hate&o=date&c[title_only]=1

Have a look, it's full of interesting complaints.
I recommend the topic "What do you hate about Ebay and Amazon". I find this thread emphasizes well all the pain points where these 2 internet giants could be attacked, potentially.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShannaGrace

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Mar 1, 2014
Thanks for this post. This is a great way to get you juices flowing and looking for solutions especially for someone new to this idea. I come up with things all the time but then wonder if it isn't already out there. Shoot, i keep thinking about a better shower curtain, every time I am tucking things in the corners, so the floor doesn't get wet. And the cool thing about this idea, is I got a lot of experience in a lot of things, so I have a large field to search in. Thanks again for all the Mind joggers you posted as well. I will let you know how I come out.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.