The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Steve Jobs' Reality Distortion Field (RDF)

DtRockstar1

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Aug 21, 2015
Livonia, MI
I am currently reading the Walter Isaacson's biography on Steve Jobs, and it mentions his Reality Distortion Field many times, and how he was able to change peoples' perceptions and make them believe they could achieve the impossible. If it seemed impossible to complete a task in 6 months, Jobs would want it done in a couple weeks. He somehow shattered their perceptions on what was possible and got his team to do the impossible.

I was wondering if there are any good books on this topic. Often times, your perceptions can lead you to believe that you "can't" do something, so you won't even try. If you can challenge your beliefs (and even convictions), you can suddenly do what you thought was impossible.

One book that comes to mind is Awaken the Giant Within by Tony Robbins, but I was wondering what other books you would all recommend on using the RDF to challenge your negative beliefs.

Chris

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
Yes Steve Jobs had such great Reality Distortion Field that he didn't think twice about making children work nor overpricing an aluminium laptop with 5 years old hardware in it. He had such RDF that he could convince everyone that it's thin, so hey, nothing else matters!

I understand that you want to magically acquire the power of reality distortion through reading one book and then going and using it on people but you must understand that it is a power with huge responsibility, a burden that is absent of all morals.

DtRockstar1

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Aug 21, 2015
Livonia, MI
I'm not trying to manipulate other people, I want to use it on my own mind so that I can shatter some of my limiting beliefs.

Chris

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
I'm not trying to manipulate other people, I want to use it on my own mind so that I can shatter some of my limiting beliefs.

Chris

If you want to use something on your own mind to shatter limiting beliefs there is cocaine.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Read the Elon Musk biography by Ashlee Vance if you really want to know about productivity. This guy could do it all. His Tesla facility is state of the art. How was he able to achieve so much? By simply reading about the subject.

Anyways, his productivity levels were off the charts.

DtRockstar1

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Aug 21, 2015
Livonia, MI
I was just trying to show you how absurd it was to believe that learning something will shatter your own limiting beliefs. If you know you have limiting beliefs then what is left to shatter?

I know I have limiting beliefs, it's just knowing how to shatter them.

Read the Elon Musk biography by Ashlee Vance if you really want to know about productivity. This guy could do it all. His Tesla facility is state of the art. How was he able to achieve so much? By simply reading about the subject.

Anyways, his productivity levels were off the charts.

Thanks! I will check that out.

Chris

germandude

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jan 4, 2016
Europe
I would read on this subject, if anyone any publications I can get.

I tried looking on Amazon, but couldn't get anything specific. Came onto "The Charisma Myth" so I got it for myself. Now I have to read it, dammit.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
"One of the scariest meetings was when we needed to ask Elon for an extra two week and more money to build out another version of the Model S," Javidan said.

"We put together a plan, stating how long things would take and what they would cost. We told him that if he wanted the car in thirty days it would require hiring some new people, and we presented him with a stack of resumes. You don't tell Elon you can't do something.

That will get you kicked out of the room. You need everything lined up. After we presented the plan, he said, 'Okay, thanks.' Everyone was like, 'Holy shit, he didn't fire you.'"

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Yes Steve Jobs had such great Reality Distortion Field that he didn't think twice about making children work nor overpricing an aluminium laptop with 5 years old hardware in it. He had such RDF that he could convince everyone that it's thin, so hey, nothing else matters!

I understand that you want to magically acquire the power of reality distortion through reading one book and then going and using it on people but you must understand that it is a power with huge responsibility, a burden that is absent of all morals.

Just want to clear something up since you came on so strong; the OP is trying to learn more about the subject to challenge his own beliefs, not manipulate others. He was citing Steve Jobs as an example. OP, cocaine isn't the answer either.

As a broad suggestion I would:
- Second Elon Musk
- Meditate regularly to stay present
- Practice miracle morning routines
- Read books from Ayn Rand, Eckhart Tolle
- Set goals well above your limits, reread them, visualize them, everyday when you wake up and before you go to sleep
- Plenty of sleep, naps, extremely limited distractions / playtime

I don't live in some kind of reality distortion field myself but I would credit my most productive periods where I went above and beyond in my own life to some combination of the above. Maintain a clear focus and vision; easier said than done.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Often times, your perceptions can lead you to believe that you "can't" do something, so you won't even try. If you can challenge your beliefs (and even convictions), you can suddenly do what you thought was impossible.

What if you choose to operate from the standpoint that your beliefs and unconscious expectations that rest in your unconscious mind are actually what is projected out into your conscious world.

So from this mindset, it's not simply the positive beliefs that get you to take the actions to get the results you want...but it's the beliefs that are actually the very cause of the result.

Translation: Fix the belief in your unconscious, and the universe works itself out to make that belief and expectation there for you.

So you want to change limiting beliefs, first you will have to know how to communicate with your unconscious, which is very simple actually.

What we're going to do now is combine both parts of your brain (the logical and the creative hemispheres) because when those two work together, that is the gateway to your unconscious (where your beliefs and entire reality is created).

So for an exercise to experience this yourself, think of a food that you really enjoy eating.

Use your imagination to bring up a mental picture of that food, thinking of how much you love it.

In your image, is the picture of the food:
  1. Near or far?
  2. What's the location in your field of vision?
  3. Blurry or clear focus?
  4. Bright or dark?
  5. Large or Small?
  6. Moving or Still?
  7. Framed or Panoramic?
  8. Do you see yourself in the picture or are you looking through your own eyes?
Now as you see that picture in your mind, imagine for a moment that your outside world doesn't exist (you can still see it, but focus in on this mental representation), and everything around it - think of that like a hologram.

For the purpose of this exercise, imagine that your unconscious mind is some energetic hologram, and not even part of your physical brain.

This hologram and this image you see of that picture is your unconscious mind.

Now that you know how to communicate with your unconscious, how can you use this information to create the inner world that you want, so it will ultimately echo out into the outer world?

Take that image of the food you really like.

It's probably big, bright, right in front of your face, and you are looking through your own eyes...correct?

99% chance yes.

Make that picture smaller, drain the color, make it dark, push it further in the distance as it gets smaller and further and smaller and further.

Now, as you think of this food - you will notice that you crave it a little bit less than you did before.

So this goes to show you that what goes on in your inner world is the cause of what happens to you projects to the outer world. (Think of a self-fulfilling prophecy, or your unconscious being a movie projector, and what you see in life through your eyes is the projection).

Now put the food back to the original spot if you want to crave it again.

That hologram that you already know how to make changes to IS your unconscious mind, and were your beliefs are. Notice how I say beliefs, and not Limiting Beliefs...because a belief is just something you choose to have.

Believe you will get rejected...and you will.
Believe you will close that cold call...and you'll be happily supposed how you can choose what beliefs to have.

You simply chose in the past to have a certain belief. But now you know that you can choose your beliefs because your beliefs get your results.

The mindset of the forum here is more of a running back in the NLF where you just power through your beliefs with hard work.

That's the direct route.

But I used to spend 2 years to choose to change, so that is why I learned about the unconscious where you can change your beliefs by simply re-arranging the pictures in your holographic unconscious mind.

I end this post with a warning - changing things in the unconscious realm using these techniques is very powerful, and can cause some....unintendeded consequences.

One example - your beliefs are there for a reason. Some strong beliefs are there to protect you from emotional trauma. Removing a belief before removing the deep emotional trauma will result in these unresolved emotions coming to the surface.

ALWAYS ask yourself "Is it ok with my conscious mind to make this change? Is it ok with my unconscious mind to make this change?"

Any hesitation or any feeling holding you back...STOP...and work with a professional.

Since you're new to this - I forbid anyone from reading this to do the following: I'm just typing it out as a mind dump....There are some things you should get worked out first before doing this....

Changing Beliefs

Just like with the food visualization, when you think of that limiting belief, you have that picture that comes to mind. Those DETAILS of the picture are how you store your beliefs. Not the content.

You also have a picture for storing a belief that "used to be true...but no longer is".

When the details of the picture in the belief you want to change are turned into the same location, size, and other details of the belief that is no longer true....

That is the moment your unconscious mind makes that instant shift and that belief is no longer true.

BUT....

You have an empty void. A gap that needs to be filled with that belief you just changed. IF you stop now, that gap can be filled by any belief (dangerous).

You also have a picture of "a belief that is 100% absolutely true" - such as the sun is going to rise tomorrow.

You then think of a belief you want to have....the opposite (empowering) belief. Get the details of that picture, and change them over to the details of the picture that is 100% true.

Now when you ask yourself "What do I believe now" and "Why do I believe this"....you just discovered how to change any limiting beliefs in the world.

Note - it's not just pictures. For sounds, you have the qualities of "wheres the location of the sound, on a scale of 1-10 how loud is it? what direction is it going?
For feelings, you have the location, size and shape of the feeling, and 1-10 on the intensity.

I have a worksheet somewhere with all the details.

So here is what you CAN do....

Think of a junk food you want to not crave as much. Ask yourself if it's ok with your conscious and unconscious mind to make this change.

1. Get all the details of the food you want to give up - picture, sounds, feelings.

2. Stand up and walk around and think of something else (important) Try to smell popcorn if you can (seriously).

3. Now, get all the details of the food that disgusts you....something you would never want to eat....something that brings up your gag reflex just thinking about it.

4. Now... Get that first picture of the food you want to give up.....and change all the details to be the same as the disgusting food.

5. When it's the same, lock it in place, and solidify that locking with the sound of a car door slamming shut and locking.

How do you feel differently now about that food you used to like? And think of a time in the future where you might eat that junk food...what can you see yourself eating instead?

Food works better at this stage of your learning because there is not as much emotional attachment.

For example - When I was 14 years old, someone broke into my house and threatened to kill me. He wound up in the hospital...but after that, I had the belief that I should always be able to protect myself. After I went through a police academy and saw some things there..I have the belief that I should carry a concealed handgun for protection.

Let's say I remove that belief - The emotional trauma of what happened when I was 14 and the police experience could all rise to the surface at once. There are other techniques for taking care of those emotions first, to make it safe to remove beliefs.

So once again - read my warning above.

Now, after limiting beliefs and the unconscious mind...you are ready to make that change in the energetic realm.

Last edited:

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Ok, one follow up to that last post.

For the food change - when I did it the first time, i lost the craving for Wendy's Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers immediately. But sometimes our minds group together information.

So to really build up the change - I did the same for Big Macs and Burger King.

The very moment I did that, I haven't ate at any of those (or taco bell)...going on 2 years now.

And for the belief change. Literally the instant you make the shift - you will begin to notice things in your life support your belief. You'll have a new viewpoint on something.....people may appear at just the right times....etc.

DtRockstar1

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Aug 21, 2015
Livonia, MI
^^^^

Wow, thanks for the post! Is that the Neuro-Linguistic Programming? I've read about that that briefly in the past, and I think it's time to jump on it. I especially like the analogy of your unconscious being like a movie projector. Time to start putting this to use daily!

Chris

DtRockstar1

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Aug 21, 2015
Livonia, MI
Just want to clear something up since you came on so strong; the OP is trying to learn more about the subject to challenge his own beliefs, not manipulate others. He was citing Steve Jobs as an example. OP, cocaine isn't the answer either.

As a broad suggestion I would:
- Second Elon Musk
- Meditate regularly to stay present
- Practice miracle morning routines
- Read books from Ayn Rand, Eckhart Tolle
- Set goals well above your limits, reread them, visualize them, everyday when you wake up and before you go to sleep
- Plenty of sleep, naps, extremely limited distractions / playtime

I don't live in some kind of reality distortion field myself but I would credit my most productive periods where I went above and beyond in my own life to some combination of the above. Maintain a clear focus and vision; easier said than done.

Exactly right, I'm trying to better myself. And don't worry, I'm not about to get into cocaine!

Thank you for the suggestions, I just got done exercising and meditating, thanks to your post. :D

Chris

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I was wondering if there are any good books on this topic.

"Reality Distortion" is just a fancy way of saying bullying.

So just learn how to bully people. And then push them towards the optimal.

If you get 100 nerds in a room, and bully them to work 18 hour days, then it's a lot easier to build a successful company.

And I don't mean that as a joke. Read the book again. It never mentions that the people were nerds ... but honestly ... who else was writing code in the 70's? Nerds. Or put otherwise: people that were easy to bully.

So how do you distort their reality? You treat them like shit until them make Apple. Then you give them their cut, and take credit for the rest.

Mac

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 10, 2015
Learn NLP: Neuro Linguistic Programming. @SinisterLex is offering a course on it.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
^^^^

Wow, thanks for the post! Is that the Neuro-Linguistic Programming? I've read about that that briefly in the past, and I think it's time to jump on it. I especially like the analogy of your unconscious being like a movie projector. Time to start putting this to use daily!

Chris

It's no analogy ;)

So yes - it's NLP.

Here another exercise in your hologram. Think of the obstacle that is in from of you right now. Being up the picture. It's probably big.

Shrink it down really small. And put a mental picture of your favorite thing to do immediately on the other side.

Get tat picture of you wanting to read more books and learn more - and put that in thenkyber side of a few more obstacles.

The things I typed you in the last post answer your original question. I used to push off DOing by learning.

Take some action and then reward yourself with the reading

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
Jesus christ people are cynical. Whether Jobs was a bully or not is irrelevant to OP's question: "how do I change my heuristics so that I can get more done/get people to do things better."

This is actually something I find quite interesting; one's ability to persuade others. Whether it's through marketing, or face-to-face discussion, the ability to compel people to do what you want is essential.

If you want to read things to help you understand this better I recommend reading Influence and Ca$hvertising. In my opinion these two books will give you a fundamental understanding of how to frame what you say in a compelling manner that gets people to do what it is you want them to do. I'd also recommend reading up on L. Ron Hubbard (yes the scientology guy) to really get your head around how easy it is to persuade people to do some really batshit things--note: I'm not saying "go out and start a cult" or "go manipulate people," I'm saying read these books and realize how much power anyone can have if they understand what motivates people in general.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014

yes, that is why people are pushing the synthetic "Virtual Reality" Field instead on the other thread. LOL!

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
What is with all the sudden Elon Musk worshiping? I love Elon Musk but I believe many of us here have the ability to either surpass him or dominate a field he has never even explored (or even create one of our own).

I get all the admiration really, he is a remarkable man of our era and a visionary but I don't really get why someone's gotta worship him every other post.

Why not absorb from him what is useful and move on with your life?

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
"Reality Distortion" is just a fancy way of saying bullying.

So just learn how to bully people. And then push them towards the optimal.

If you get 100 nerds in a room, and bully them to work 18 hour days, then it's a lot easier to build a successful company.

And I don't mean that as a joke. Read the book again. It never mentions that the people were nerds ... but honestly ... who else was writing code in the 70's? Nerds. Or put otherwise: people that were easy to bully.

So how do you distort their reality? You treat them like shit until them make Apple. Then you give them their cut, and take credit for the rest.

not exactly but it has a bit of it.

i had this 'field'. what it allowed me to do was influence people, and manipulate them to do what I would like them to do - to get them to start thinking they should. I'd say this is confidence as well - they take in your confidence and think 'wow this guy knows what he's doing'. It's a responsibility though, and even if you believe your own BS, as you get older you realize 1. that bs shouldn't hurt anyone and 2. if you are just bs'ing, make sure you can back it up when needed, or you lose confidence in yourself and from others.

DtRockstar1

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Aug 21, 2015
Livonia, MI
Jesus christ people are cynical. Whether Jobs was a bully or not is irrelevant to OP's question: "how do I change my heuristics so that I can get more done/get people to do things better."

This is actually something I find quite interesting; one's ability to persuade others. Whether it's through marketing, or face-to-face discussion, the ability to compel people to do what you want is essential.

If you want to read things to help you understand this better I recommend reading Influence and Ca$hvertising. In my opinion these two books will give you a fundamental understanding of how to frame what you say in a compelling manner that gets people to do what it is you want them to do. I'd also recommend reading up on L. Ron Hubbard (yes the scientology guy) to really get your head around how easy it is to persuade people to do some really batshit things--note: I'm not saying "go out and start a cult" or "go manipulate people," I'm saying read these books and realize how much power anyone can have if they understand what motivates people in general.

Keep us updated on your progress.

I agree, it happens all the time with people throwing insults around for no reason. Not sure where it comes from, but not our problem!

Thank you for the recommendations! I actually have the book Influence, and I never read it. So once I finish reading my current books, looks like that's the next one in line!

Chris

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
Pretend for a moment you were Steve Jobs.

And now picture Bill Gates, eating an Apple.

Do or die.

Wouldn't let my employees slack around either in such a situation.

Reminds me a little bit of the Manhattan Project's scientists & engineers being worried about the 3rd Reich's nuclear program.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
Pretend for a moment you were Steve Jobs.

And now picture Bill Gates, eating an Apple.

Do or die.

Wouldn't let my employees slack around either in such a situation.

Reminds me a little bit of the Manhattan Project's scientists & engineers being worried about the 3rd Reich's nuclear program.

lol, wut?

Anyway, On the topic of reality distortion and powerful persuasion, here's Scott Adams' (Dilbert) take on Donald Trumps strategy.

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
What is with all the sudden Elon Musk worshiping? I love Elon Musk but I believe many of us here have the ability to either surpass him or dominate a field he has never even explored (or even create one of our own).

I get all the admiration really, he is a remarkable man of our era and a visionary but I don't really get why someone's gotta worship him every other post.

I notice all your responses in this thread are negative and combative in nature. I want to give you some advice because I used to be like you when I was a younger and if you search my post history from years ago, you will see I was always arguing with others and acted like I was too good to admire another person. . Drop that attitude, it won't get you anywhere.

Nobody is worshiping Elon Musk per say, they are just very impressed with his is level of productivity and success. Actually if people worshiped people like Elon musk instead of entertainment celebrities, the world would be a better place and we would be much further in civilization. This guy is probably the most productive man on earth. No man is worthy of worship and but many are worthy of being role models that budding and successful entrepreneurs alike look up to.

Don't look for things to criticize, look for things you agree with first before you criticize and make sure the criticism is constructive if possible.

You can learn a lot from both Steve Jobs and Elon Musk. Everyone can. Being in business is not about being nice to people, but being as productive as possible. If Steve didn't push those employees, we wouldn't have iphones and macs etc. Almost every major achievement in the history of civilization involved some blood and sweat, this can range from people being overworked to people losing their lives to achieve the goals.

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
Nobody is worshiping Elon Musk per say, they are just very impressed with his is level of productivity and success.

Ok. Good.

Actually if people worshiped people like Elon musk instead of entertainment celebrities, the world would be a better place and we would be much further in civilization.

Elon Musk IS an entertainement celebritiy, otherwise you wouldn't get a hard on every time his name comes up.

This guy is probably the most productive man on earth. No man is worthy of worship and but many are worthy of being role models that budding and successful entrepreneurs alike look up to.

I agree and that's what I said in my post, where is your argument?

Newpollz said:

Last edited by a moderator:

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
Can you answer my question though? Why not absorb from him what is useful and move on with your life?

Don't look for things to criticize, look for things you agree with first before you criticize and make sure the criticism is constructive if possible.

What did you say???

You don't criticize things you don't agree with? What is with the college is bullshit then? What's with 9-5 is bullshit then? What's with the television is a horrible brainwashing stupid box?

You criticizing those things means you agree with them?

Get outta here lol.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.