Enjoy Freedom? Money?

Get Breaking Fastlane Updates.
  1. the entrepreneurs red pill

Talk To Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs ... for FREE!

Some people take advice from millionaires, others take advice from people who want to be millionaires. If you're tired of taking millionaire advice from your broke uncle, your paycheck-to-paycheck friend, or your 30K millionaire co-worker, register today and get the uncensored, and yes, the sometimes uncomfortable truth from real millionaires who live and die in the entrepreneurial trenches.
    register for the fastlane forum

Start Your Own Personal Revolution: Grab the Book that Started it All!

Get The Millionaire Fastlane ||| Download 3 FREE Chapters ||| Learn More

Starting over in Honduras

Discussion in 'Introductions & Networking' started by KellyInHonduras, Jan 23, 2013.

1. KellyInHonduras

KellyInHonduras 60 kph

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $68
    Hey everyone, I'm from Texas originally and used to work in IT until a couple of years ago when I decided to forsake the field and reinvent my life. The economy reduced my income to a fraction of what it once was, which was never much to begin with, and starting over in this field was about as appealing to me as a grazing kick to the face with golf shoes.

I decided that if my income was going to be so low for the foreseeable future, I would use the coming years to create the life I always dreamed of....or at least try considering I've never done anything like this, lol. I wanted to live and work in my own kind of paradise for once and I was willing to sacrifrice in certain ways if my overall quality of life was raised in the end.

I ended up taking a job as a fishing guide in a mountain lake in the middle of Honduras. My room was made of cinder block, I didn't speak spanish, and the nearest hospital was over an hour away. I got bitten by a tarantula within the first week of arriving, then 2 weeks after recovering from that, I was given some bad water that wasn't properly filtered and boiled and was sick for ten days, the boat motor that I was told was in "good shape" turned out to be a huge lemon, and nobody wanted to go fishing there anyway, lol.

I stayed there for a couple of months fishing and thinking about what to do for real income. I finally decided I would cruise on over to the Bay Island of Utila off the North coast of Honduras and get certfied as a scuba diver then go back to the states and start over in another field. Well, two scuba certifications and a week later I made the decision to sell off most of my things, store the rest, and move to Utila and become a professional scuba instructor.

Since then I found an incredible Moskitian woman, delivered my own son in my own bed on the island, taught my 19 year old daughter how to scuba dive, and cultivated deep connections in this country. Connections which now afford me some rare and valuable opportunities to help the local people get top prices for their products while offering future customers the best possible prices on hard to get commodities like lumber and coffee.

My overall goal is to create an import company in the states for the wood and coffee, make it successful wth my kids, and let them run it on their own one day while I go in search of new products and customers....or just go scuba diving some more :)

One way I will create success is by bringing Honduran coffee's name up on par with Guatemelan and Costa Rican coffee as well as selling a hell of alot of it....a TON of "Guatemalan" coffee is actually Honduran coffee anyway. They just smuggle it on a road that parallels the road that the actual border crossing is on yet freely traveled, to be sold as Guatemalan coffee due to the higher prices of Guat coffee. The other way is to bring the best prices to American markets on Honduran lumber...and sell a hell alot of that too.

I am always open to new ideas and ways to create success for myself and I might even pick a few brains around here from time to time. I look forward to learning from everyone's successes and learning lessons. Thanks for having me.

2. Kak

Kak 280 kph Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $10,961
    I LOVE Roatan and Utilla! My favorite places on earth. Have you played the Black Pearl?

1 person likes this.
  3. KellyInHonduras

KellyInHonduras 60 kph

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $68
    I've never heard of the game so I googled it and no I don't play the Black Pearl. My bandwidth here is less than 128k so I can't even connect sometimes. Paradise has it's price, lol.

1 person likes this.
  4. Kak

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $10,961
    It is the new golf course on Roatan LOL! It is designed by Pete Dye! It is like 30 miles away from you.

Go to smugglers on west end, they have the absolute best chicken wings I have ever eaten.

I am going to buy a home in Pristine Bay Roatan for sure. My business partner already has.

1 person likes this.
  5. KellyInHonduras

KellyInHonduras 60 kph

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $68
    Hahaha! I don't play golf anymore and had no idea there was a golf course over there. I don't get over to Roatan much since it costs me $100 just to get there and back and I have no real business over there. There are some incredible places over there that Utila can't touch as far as beauty...or diving for that matter.

1 person likes this.
  6. Kak

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $10,961
    I have been to roatan about 5 times in the last 12 months. I absolutely love it. Only been to Utilla once on my business partner's 36 foot panga.

Welcome to the forum!!!

I dove off of pristine bay a few times, absolutely awesome. There is no place in the world like it. Best part is the 2.5 hour direct flight from Houston.

7. KellyInHonduras

KellyInHonduras 60 kph

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $68
    Damn. I'm just getting started so I can't afford to vacation yet....which has alot to do with why I work in other people's vacations now, lol. I figure if I can't pay outright to get there, I might as well just live and work there all the time. It eliminates alot of travel expenses this way, hahahaha.

1 person likes this.
  8. Kak

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $10,961
    Absolutely! My brother is taking the direct route to paradise. He has been offered a teaching professional job at the golf course on roatan after he graduates with a PGM degree.

Id like to go, just in a bit more style. Like a yacht or my own jet. ;)

Very glad to have you here, hope you stick around. I think there are rebranding opportunities for cigars on the islands for sure. I had a great idea for branding and exportation.

1 person likes this.
  9. KellyInHonduras

KellyInHonduras 60 kph

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $68
    Sounds like your brother has a pretty sweet gig! Just be careful over there. Roatans as dangerous as most big cities in the states.

I dig the rebranding cigars idea. Interesting. I'd like to hear more about it.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm already liking the personalities on here.

1 person likes this.
  10. AllenCrawley

AllenCrawley Next Level Staff Member FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $19,757
    1 person likes this.
  11. Kak

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $10,961
    Last I heard they killed the charter city idea right? :mad:

12. Bugsey34

Bugsey34 25 kph

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $52
    Welcome to the board. I lived abroad for several years, there are a lot of opportunities that can grow out of it. Think of all of the skills/life experience/understanding of the American market that you have that everyone else living there doesn't have. There may be a lot of opportunities that are only available to you.

1 person likes this.
  13. andviv

andviv 210 kph Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $1,365
    Hi Kelly. Welcome to the forum.

I loved your intro. Your story is great.

So, let's say somebody from the forum wants to go there for vacations, what would you offer them?

How a complete 'Tourist package' look for the retiree couple? for the single adventurous guy? for the eco-friendly/tree-huger couple?

I think providing different experiences would be great.

What airlines fly to what airport, so you can put together an all-inclusive package for them?

What about a "Get certified as scuba diver in one weekend in the best beaches in the world" type of approach?

What types of wood could you import to the states?

About the coffee, take a look at what this guy is doing with some extra-quality coffee beans:
    » Recipe: How to Make Your Coffee Bulletproof…And Your Morning Too The Bulletproof Executive
    » Upgraded

I bet you could find out a similar niche and talk to the growers to produce "highest quality" coffee.

2 people like this.
  14. andviv

andviv 210 kph Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $1,365
    Really? How unfortunate... I thought this was a great experiment with LOTS of potential.

15. Red

Red danger zone FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $4,422
    Yes, I've conversed w/ Michael Strong about it, the case was taken up to the Honduran Supreme Court & they squashed it. They're down, but not out. Other countries/locations are currently being considered. I believe it will happen, just a matter of time.

16. AllenCrawley

AllenCrawley Next Level Staff Member FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $19,757
    Oh that is unfortunate. I just looked up why they ruled against it and they believed it was unconstitutional and would go against the country's elite...

Honduran Private City Plan Shot Down by Its Supreme Court - Hit & Run : Reason.com

1 person likes this.
  17. tincho1492

tincho1492 120 kph Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $286
    Welcome to the forum Kelly! Hope you stick around.

1 person likes this.
  18. Atown512

Atown512 100 kph FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $864
    When I was in Costa Rica, I noticed that some of the most beautiful wood I have ever seen was pretty damn cheap. I specifically remember a small restaurant that had the most amazing picnic tables. I asked where they got the tables, and they started laughing at my fascination with them, but eventually told me that a little lumber shop down the road harvested the lumber and made the tables for cheap. I am 100% positive that these tables would sell like crazy for a very high price.

The one thing I'm not sure of, is if it is even legal to import these woods. I know we have some very strict rules on importation of lumber and various other environmental resources. I know Gibson guitars just settled a large lawsuit with the federal govt about their woods. From what I understand everything was totally legal, they just needed to settle to get back into production...pretty scary when our govt goes after such an iconic AMERICAN company.

1 person likes this.
  19. InMotion

InMotion 120 kph FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $420
    Yes, that actually killed demand for a few varieties of wood here in the states. They went to cheap substitutes instead.

20. CashFlowDepot

CashFlowDepot 160 kph FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $5,274
    Hey Kelly

It's amazing how many more opportunities you see all around you when you are in a different country. Congrats on your move & Best of Success!

I moved to Panama and absolutely love it here.

1 person likes this.
  21. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Admin Staff Member FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $60,230
    Welcome Kelly and thanks for emailing me to have your account created, glad I did!

Hope to see you around and thanks for the awesome story. :)

22. KellyInHonduras

KellyInHonduras 60 kph

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $68
    Sorry I havent been on in a few days. My internet is a 128k connection split between 3 families on one property so its less than reliable and or some reason this site is alot slower than even facebook, lol.

The oppportunities I have are rare even for here so I want to learn how to exploit them to their potential, which is why I try and learn as much as I can from the internet. Like I told my kids, even though I don't make, and have never made, much money. I've never picked the most lucrative paths and have opted for the road less traveled in order to enrich my life with rare experiences and to show my kids that where they are living now and what they see as ther entire world is only the tip top of the white part of the pile of seagull shit on the peak of a big ass iceberg of life.

My next step is to learn about the 20 odd years I missed in entrepreneurial business 101 and combine that wth my past experience and what I have in front of me and do something with my kids that will provide freedom from a life of paycheck to paycheck living.

1 person likes this.
  23. KellyInHonduras

KellyInHonduras 60 kph

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $68
    This is what I'm working towards now. I already buy from the Santa Barbara region, which in 2012, won 7 out of the top 20 places in the Honduran Cup Of Excellence and in 2010, took 13 out of the top 25 places.

This is the coffee I want to bring to the states and use to bring Honduras' coffee reputation up on par with the great Guatemalans and Costa Ricans, both of which taste so similar, it's not worht paying the extra money for the name.

With coffee being the second most traded commodity in the world and Honduran coffee being the single most underrated coffee in the world, how could I go wrong?

2 people like this.
  24. KellyInHonduras

KellyInHonduras 60 kph

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $68
    100% legal is the only way I want to operate. Getting out of messes is usually harder than staying out of them in the first place. Fortunately for me, everyone I deal with is doing above board business with me so I can focus on making a more profitable company instead of wasting time digging myself out of a hole.

1 person likes this.
  25. CashFlowDepot

CashFlowDepot 160 kph FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $5,274