The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

some of my personal rules

Anything related to matters of the mind

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
John P.
Founder and CEO of CampusLink LLC (mycampuslinks.com – coming in January 2012)

Rules that I follow for my start-up success

1. Listen – Nobody ever listens anymore. I don’t know if it has always been this way. Maybe there are too many distractions today, or maybe people are only interested in themselves. I am often labeled as a quite person. I believe that I am quite because I sit back and listen to every single word that a person says. I have learned a lot from listening to people talk. I analyze people, classify them, and learn from them.

2. Believe in yourself – There is always going to be someone who does not believe in what you are doing. If you can’t accept that fact then you can’t move forward. When it comes down to it, you need to make sure that you are willing to be the last believer standing if everyone else bails on you.

3. Have a strong stomach –There will be times when you need to remain calm, clench your jaw, and move forward with what you believe in.

4. Uncertainty is Power - When people are uncertain about things you gain an advantage to take control. People are looking for a leader when they are uncertain, it is human nature.

5. Failure is Opportunity – You will have set backs. Failure is only failure if you stop believing in yourself when you have a set-back. Opportunity always exists with every set back that comes your way.

6. Move fast on ideas – When you have an idea don’t sit on your hands. Begin moving on it, even if you think it is stupid. One thing that I have learned is that ideas lead to more ideas.

7. Do not Plateau – Always keep striving for success, many companies begin to fail because they reach a “happy place” and become too afraid to continue taking risks.

8. Success is momentum in motion – Create momentum with your ideas and keep the momentum in motion. I often visualize myself pushing a sled down a never heading hill. Success is as easy as making that initial push (you do actually have to make sure the momentum continues, don't abandon the sled!)

9. Visualize - Visualize your goals and ideas at different times throughout the day. Make it seem real and convince yourself that it is real. In addition, take time to visualize the dynamics of your idea to ensure that you are thinking of the best possible way to accomplish your goal.

10. Don't be afraid - Don't be afraid to come up with new ideas. Do not think that it has already been thought of. And avoiding thinking that a billion dollar company is doing the something the best possible way. Innovation will always be possible, it only becomes impossible when you stop believing.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dutchy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Apr 20, 2011
London
WOW. Printed this out. GREAT list. Thanks a lot for posting this!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Bumped from the archives.

Nice post John.

Any new rules?

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Oh shit. I wish that you didn't dig this up haha. I'm pretty sure that this is my first post on this forum, back in 2011.

I didn't really understand the forum form at the time. I didn't know what the hell I was doing. I don't know why I posted this.

I think this is actually a horrible post.

So yes new rule that I live by:

Any new rules?

I never talk about anything that I don't actually know about.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I like those rules/learnings. Fair play.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Oh shit. I wish that you didn't dig this up haha.

@johnp I think it resonates with a lot of people, there is a lot of hard earned wisdom there, thank you. I for one also thank @Andy Black for panning for gold in the archives.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
P.S. Haven't you got work to do Andy or is this an early lunch break? ;)

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain