The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Skinnybrown: From Rags to Riches

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...
G

GuestUser149

Hello Everyone:
  • I am an alcoholic (2.5 months sober)
  • I am 30 years old
  • I am the first of my family to go to college
  • I work at a tech start-up in San Francisco
  • I believe I was put on this earth to help people
Goals for this week (No particular order outside of sober being #1):
  • Stay sober
  • Work out 4 times
  • Eat Healthy
  • Practice typing every day (I currently only type with three fingers lol)
  • Start reading "Form your own Limited Liability Company" and file necessary documents ASAP
  • Read Fast Lane Forums every day
  • Do not work more than 50 hours in the slow lane
  • Call family on the weekend
I promise if you follow this thread you are in for one hell of a ride.

Most importantly, please, hold me accountable.

Best,
Skinnybrown

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

akbrouwer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, USA
Slow and steady wins the race..

Don't kill yourself trying to accomplish everything on the list.. if this is your first go-around.. I would select 2-3 and really focus on them for one week.

After one week of success.. add one more.. then after that week.. add another...

Keep up the good work.. you got it!

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 5, 2015
California
Hello Everyone:
  • I am an alcoholic (2.5 months sober)
  • I am 30 years old
  • I am the first of my family to go to college
  • I work at a tech start-up in San Francisco
  • I believe I was put on this earth to help people
Goals for this week (No particular order outside of sober being #1):
  • Stay sober
  • Work out 4 times
  • Eat Healthy
  • Practice typing every day (I currently only type with three fingers lol)
  • Start reading "Form your own Limited Liability Company" and file necessary documents ASAP
  • Read Fast Lane Forums every day
  • Do not work more than 50 hours in the slow lane
  • Call family on the weekend
I promise if you follow this thread you are in for one hell of a ride.

Most importantly, please, hold me accountable.

Best,
Skinnybrown
Welcome to the forum! It's nice to have another Bay Area resident here (not sure if there are any others).

As previously mentioned, take one step at a time, man. Dealing with chemical dependency can make things seem all the more challenging - I know from previous experience myself. Just remember, things getting harder is your cue to stick to it and overcome.

Aside from reading "Form Your Own LLC Company", I would suggest reading The Millionaire Fastlane (if you haven't already).
I love progress threads, just as I'm sure all of us here do, I look forward to what you have in store.

Stay strong, rage on.

G

GuestUser149

Thank you for the support! I crushed it this last week:
  • I stayed sober. This is getting pretty easy tbh. I love how I feel and no longer have the urge to escape reality.
  • I practiced typing Mon - Sunday. I can do all letters now at like 8WPM hahaha.
  • I read 1 book - The first 90 days. It was meh.
  • I exercised 4 times
  • I Filed my Operating Agreement for my LLC
  • I wrote content for my website
  • I created a financial budget with my GF for August
In some exciting slow-lane news, I was promoted to a new team for a product my company is building. This product should be massive and will provide me insane opportunity hopefully. I am literally the first person with my skillset on the team. I know the slow-lane is not the end goal, but I am treating my job as a start up. I'm constantly asking myself how can I help others here? How can I differentiate myself? If I have to be here I will make the most of it.

This week I am going to focus on staying healthy, working on my typing and writing content for my website. My big goal is to get the site launched by the end of the year and start helping people January 1, 2016. This is pretty ambitious as I have no idea how to make a website yet.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
One step at a time, one day at a time. Invest in the process (your day to day) not into your goal (where you want to be a year from now)... the latter will work itself out taking care of the former. Good luck my friend.

G

GuestUser149

One step at a time, one day at a time. Invest in the process (your day to day) not into your goal (where you want to be a year from now)... the latter will work itself out taking care of the former. Good luck my friend.

Thank you, MJ - This is great advice. When I think of the end product I want to build it is indeed overwhelming; but, as you rightfully said, it is all about the process.

G

GuestUser149

What's crackin' everyone?

So you thought this thread was going to die? So you thought this was going to be another progress thread with no action? Nah, nah, nah. Not Skinnybrown. You are witnessing the start of an empire.

Honestly, though - Thank you to all the contributors here. From the bottom of my heart. You didn't have to share anything, but you chose to anyways. You have saved me so much time it is unreal. @Vigilante @AllenCrawley @biophase @Catalyst

Three months ago I was stumbling the streets of San Francisco blacked out recklessly putting my life on the line. Now I have a vision and a dream. Enough with the emotions, though. Let's talk business...

Accomplishments:

1. I found a niche (like 1 minute ago) - I have zero, literally zero, experience in this niche, but I see what I think are value gaps with the top sellers.
  2. Sober - Tomorrow will be 3 months
  3. Stopped my 401(k) to build cash reserves to invest in the business. We are all in baby.
  4. Watched a lot on how to build websites and have a basic understanding of WordPress.
Action Items for this coming Week.
  1. Read the book Cashvertising
  2. Shop manufacturers and look at profit margins
  3. Order samples
  4. Look at Amazon FBA
  5. Study photography
Any other suggestions? I am off to spend quality time with my girl. She is dope. Lets me spend a lot of time on this w/o complaining. I don't want to abuse that tho. Going to watch the sunset on the beach and I am going ot make spaghetti. All internet and social media turning off...

I love you all.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
3 months. Congrats. Keep going.

G

GuestUser149

[HASHTAG]#Bangarang[/HASHTAG]

So I started out finding products in my niche that could be sold at a markup from importing overseas. However, I started thinking if I can set this up easily then where is the value? I would just be joining the masses in the arbitrage game. Meh, I have to think bigger... Much Much Much bigger...

So I started looking at my niche top-level... Are there any specific groups being underserved? Is there any spot for me to brand my own product, differentiate myself and add value? After a lot of research, the answer was a resounding YES. There is a huge gaping hole that Peter Pan could fly through... Great... Now what?

Needless to say, building a brand as my first entrepreneurial endeavor is going to involve a ton of work and I am inherently going to screw up a lot. I need to research other companies in depth and put a lot of time, effort, money and resources to this endeavor.

Honestly, I definitely have anxiety and uncertainty. I barely slept last night. My responsibilities at work are increasing dramatically because I am so damn charming, I am supporting my girlfriend while she is in school and money is tight.

But... This is exactly where I want to be. This is where I am going to grow, learn and become a bea$t.

I wish you all the very best of luck. Sending great vibes from San Francisco to wherever you guys and girls are. Know that Skinnybrown loves you and will always be there for you.

I am going to vacuum and clean the bathroom now.

G

GuestUser149

Changing my strategy. My main idea will cost a lot of capital (which I don't have) to do right. Instead, I'm going to focus on starting small with importing.

Found two products. Found manufacturers and have samples on the way. No idea how to do Ebay or Amazon FBA.

G

GuestUser149

Fast Lane Update:
  1. I have not received the samples
  2. I set up Amazon FBA with my SMLLC
  3. I am looking at multiple products
  4. I am getting a pedicure today
Words of Advice:

You don't know what you don't know. Get out there and start building as soon as possible. The plan should be to consistently work hard, learn as much as possible and adapt.

Slowlane Job:

I am thinking big picture and making moves. No idea if this will get me in trouble.

Pretty simple strategy. All I do is constantly listen to those who are all-stars and in the trenches. They know what's best. Then it's only a matter of organizing people and finding ways to get things done. Everyone in business, only worry about themselves. What are my numbers? How will this affect my reviews? How will I move up? Stop that sht and look outward. I only care about what our customers want and what people in the trenches want. I am writing an idea and am going to use my influence to get it done. I will make enemies along the way but I don't care. Life is short and I am not going to accept any situation. If I get fired I am so damn charming I will have a new job within a week anyways ;)

*** I know slow lane jobs are meh but you have to approach everything in life with passion, drive and positive energy. So you are a lazy and worthless employee but when your fast lane job takes off somehow you will be a great manager of people? Think about it. Everything is positive if you perceive it to be. EVEN SLOW LANE JOBS.

Stop complaining and get to work :rockon:.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Brother @Skinnybrown .... I'm lovin' what your writing. You writing has a bit of flare to it also.

Love your attitude. Do Not Change that no matter what.

Looking forward to your progress. Thanks for keeping it real.

G

GuestUser149

Brother @Skinnybrown .... I'm lovin' what your writing. You writing has a bit of flare to it also.

Love your attitude. Do Not Change that no matter what.

Looking forward to your progress. Thanks for keeping it real.

Thank you for the kind words Bigguns50. May good luck smile upon you and all those that you love :smoking:

I am going to start posting my statistics for you guys and girls now:

Time: 23 days
Revenue: $0.00
Expenses: $1,325
Instagram Followers: 0

I have definitely lit some money on fire but at least I have my big idea and plan figured out? :tiphat:

I thought a lot about this. Should I start simple or just build my big idea? Well, starting simple costs some doh ray me too and since you should build your brand over time it made sense to go for the home run and not import skip-its to sell on Amazon. I could try to do both but my gut tells me to stay focused. Plus, I am working on a limited budget. Long Term it makes the most sense to me but I am open to suggestions.

Need to get my store up with some products and then start building an Instagram following.

I have been up since 6am. Now it's time to work out and then go to AA then order pizza and watch "Fear the Walking Dead" :hurray:.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I have some experience here as far as starting big or small. I think most of the more successful chaps here will agree and say start small....just sell something. Get the cash flowing. Find out what your market likes and doesn't like about what you're selling then make it better...pivot if needed.

G

GuestUser149

I have some experience here as far as starting big or small. I think most of the more successful chaps here will agree and say start small....just sell something. Get the cash flowing. Find out what your market likes and doesn't like about what you're selling then make it better...pivot if needed.

Great ideas! Thank you!

Update:

Profit/(Loss): ($2,049.95)
Instagram Followers: 34
  1. My name is being trademarked
  2. I am building relationships with people in the know on IG
  3. I am waking up at 4:30 am on weekdays and 6:00 on Sat/Sun
  4. Logo contest is almost over
  5. I will have my online store up w/in a couple weeks
  6. Sober like a priest
Off to the Phantom of the Opera! Hope everyone is doing great!

G

GuestUser149

Update September 6th, 2015:

Sales: $0.00
Expenses: $2,518.24
Instagram Followers: 190
  1. The website launch is scheduled for October 1st, 2015. A lot needs to happen by then, but I am confident I will make it happen.
  2. I skyped with an industry expert and we will be collaborating together!
Success is all about ideas, priorities and execution. Most people, including myself, are idea rich but poor in prioritization and execution. That is one of the biggest lessons I have learned this week. At first, I wanted to launch with a ton of products and designs etc. but I quickly realized getting the store open was a bigger priority. I cut down the products SIGNIFICANTLY and guess what? It is still a shit ton of work. If you have never opened an eCommerce store before then you don't know what you don't know and the only way to learn is to get out there and do it. My advice is to start small and grind away every day. Rome wasn't built in a day, as they say.

I take absolute pride in my work ethic and determination. Mon-Fri I wake up at 4:30 to 5:00, I spend 1 hour on Instagram (commenting, liking pictures, posting pictures), I spend 1.5 hours building the website, I go to work for around 10 hours and then I come home and focus on being a good boyfriend. Saturday and Sunday is pretty much the same except I spend more time on building the website and not working the day job.

Bottom line, the process is grueling to be successful. It isn't pretty. Who is willing to wake up at 5am, search hashtags and comment on pictures 7 days a week? day in and day out? over and over and over? there are no shortcuts. even if there was a shortcut available you would F*ck it all up w/o the experience once you are there.

I highly suggest people start thinking about branding and building your own company.

This post is kind of intense so I also want to say the following:

This is the most fun I have ever had and I can't wait to see what the future holds.

diforenzad

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Apr 27, 2014
Who is willing to wake up at 5am, search hashtags and comment on pictures 7 days a week? day in and day out? over and over and over? there are no shortcuts.
Dude, you should get yourself a tool like Massplanner. I don't know how many times I've advised it to people. It's pretty solid to gain followers but still needs some tweaking regarding the scheduling post part

G

GuestUser149

I launched my website yesterday after 1.5 months of extremely hard work and got... $0 sales. That failure stung yesterday. That is one of the most intense feelings I have had in a long time. When you work for someone else, it is incredibly easy to blame others and not take responsibility. When you run your own company, there is no one to blame but yourself. I understand more and more every day why people don't do this.

With all that said, I still believe in my company and I believe in myself. This is a long-term game and I have to buckle down and work my a$$ off day in and day out with zero regrets.

Back to the lab.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I launched my website yesterday after 1.5 months of extremely hard work and got... $0 sales. That failure stung yesterday. That is one of the most intense feelings I have had in a long time. When you work for someone else, it is incredibly easy to blame others and not take responsibility. When you run your own company, there is no one to blame but yourself. I understand more and more every day why people don't do this.

With all that said, I still believe in my company and I believe in myself. This is a long-term game and I have to buckle down and work my a$$ off day in and day out with zero regrets.

Back to the lab.

How have you reached out to your market so far? Do they know you exist?

What might you change to get sales moving forward?

sethiam

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Sep 6, 2015

Back to the lab.

Thanks Skinnybrown,

It takes a lot to admit defeat, and it sounds like you're already on the path to overcoming it. Keep hustling, and posting your progress. I appreciate your candidness.

G

GuestUser149

How have you reached out to your market so far? Do they know you exist?

What might you change to get sales moving forward?

I have an IG following of 5,000+. I thought that would be enough to generate something. My site only got 50 unique views so I am definitely doing something wrong.

I need to think of additional ways to get myself in front of the market...

I am not entirely sure how to get sales moving forward tbh. I am thinking / researching this one out...

Thank you for the great questions!

G

GuestUser149

Thanks Skinnybrown,

It takes a lot to admit defeat, and it sounds like you're already on the path to overcoming it. Keep hustling, and posting your progress. I appreciate your candidness.

You're welcome. I have no worries admitting defeat it helps me feel better actually =) Kinda like put it out there and move on!

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I have an IG following of 5,000+.

I need to think of additional ways to get myself in front of the market...

How about the 1.5 billion people on facebook who are patiently waiting for the right ad to come along to help them spend their money?

I worked on the initial version of my site even longer than you. I had my first sale 10 minutes after launch while I was asleep. My secret to this was a FB ad scheduled to start in the early morning. Without it I would still have $0 in sales.

G

GuestUser149

How about the 1.5 billion people on facebook who are patiently waiting for the right ad to come along to help them spend their money?

I worked on the initial version of my site even longer than you. I had my first sale 10 minutes after launch while I was asleep. My secret to this was a FB ad scheduled to start in the early morning. Without it I would still have $0 in sales.

Thank you very much. I have not fully explored facebook ads yet. I will do that now.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.