The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I go to college?

Twista

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Oct 13, 2013
Alabama
Since most of my business will be online, should I go to college for web design and development? My parents want me to go and I still have another year left of deciding.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
No. Spend that "another year left of deciding" on using Google and learning web development & design. <- If you're trying to focus on business

Yes. Go to college, learn, and enjoy being around young people like yourself. <- If you want to satisfy your parents and have a decent - good time doing so.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Since you obviously want others to make decisions for you... Yes you should. It will set you up for a nice cushy job and a boss like me to tell you what to do.

Twista

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Oct 13, 2013
Alabama
Since you obviously want others to make decisions for you... Yes you should. It will set you up for a nice cushy job and a boss like me to tell you what to do.

Oh hell no! lol

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Xenforo has a cool plugin that lists similar threads to posters before they post a new one ... I look forward to deploying that mod so we can once and for all rid ourselves of the old "Do I go to college?" thread.

BTW, my thoughts on this topic echo Kak's ... if you need someone else to decide what's best for you, you should probably go.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Oh hell no! lol
I say this with not an ounce of sarcasm. You really should if you make a habit of not deciding for yourself.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
That plugin does sound great, MJ.

But yeah... Sometimes going to college is a good idea, like when the skills are particularly difficult to pick up. Most of web development and design you can really learn on your own with some disciplined self study, using w3c, a quality book on HTML5 will get you most of the way through the mechanical part.
Reading "letting go of the words" will give you quite a bit of food for thought on website design, focused mostly on usability and a good customer experience.
I haven't gotten anywhere near finishing this yet, but "Design of every day things" seems to be about learning how to convey intention through your designs and making things fairly failproof. It's too academic, but if the reviews are right, should give you a good mindset on designing things.

I assume that's the core of website design. There's no doubt many useful peripheral skills, like colour theory maybe. If you look at the design curriculum, you'll get a good idea on what they would be teaching you and you can use that as a starting point.

If your online business is something like retail, you probably won't need to go much further. There's plenty of pre-existing shopping carts and templates you can use and adapt. Otherwise you'll have to learn quite a bit of programming if you can't acquire someone who has that skill.

I almost erased all that to just say "Figure out what you actually need to do your 'online business stuff'. It might be a hell of a lot closer than you think."

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
College and University's only real value comes from the point of view of being an employee (or building a job around yourself).

You NEED college/uni for things like:

- Accountant
- Lawyer
- Doctor
- Engineer
- Etc...

You COULD go the entrepreneurial route with these - start your own law firm, doctor's practice, etc... but these are "jobs" tied heavily and directly to your time. It's much better to hire these people as an entrepreneur than to BE one.

Degrees and diplomas are formal proof you provide other people. Entrepreneurs usually aren't too concerned with proving knowledge to anyone in a formal way. They use their actions, not pieces of paper, to prove that.

And any "business" or "entrepreneur" class is a total waste of time as well, because you can usually get a better education out of a small stack of books.

And that whole "fall back on it" thing? Yeah, after you get your first full time job (anywhere) everyone will stop caring about where you went to school and what for as long as you aren't trying to be a Doctor, for example. So your diploma is worthless in less time than it took you to get it.

Twista

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Oct 13, 2013
Alabama
Now since you guys mentioned it, I'm really sorry for posting this stupid question up. And sorry MJ for putting up another "Do I go to college?" thread on your site.

Damian2015

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Dec 22, 2013
New York
i must say i love the sarcasm and the honesty in your answer, but then again going to college does have its perks, you either learn that you do want to go in the direction you are headed or you learn that the *hit you are studying is useless and you could have learned al that by yourself.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
The answer is: Only you can decide.

Damian2015

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Dec 22, 2013
New York
lol i was joking xD and you are welcome! question did you make up your mind? i think you can use that time you would spend in college so much better learning on your own, plus i bet not one college would ban you from a lecture if you decided to attend one even if you are not a student there

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
So what was the plan? Go or not go? Year off?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Yes

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So what was the plan? Go or not go? Year off?

Yes, what did you decide? And why? And are the parents cool with it? (Assuming its a NO).

Twista

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Oct 13, 2013
Alabama
Yes, what did you decide? And why? And are the parents cool with it? (Assuming its a NO).

I saw this video on Youtube from this guy named Bucky. He was talking about how he dropped out of college and why. He dropped out of college because he wanted to learn how to build websites and learn code. In college, Bucky found in an old book with five names of different people listed towards the front of the book. He said that these people have been learning the same stuff over and over, year after year. And the people around him where taking the same exact exams and doing the same assignments. He did not like this idea of teaching, he wanted to be different and creative. He believes that the only purpose why colleges are here are for degrees and jobs. So, he dropped out and learned on his own. Now he teaches others how to create websites and program code.

So I took note of his video and said "ain't that the damn truth!" Literally. I wouldn't like the idea of going back to school another four years, after graduation, to learn something that I could've learned on my own and I would've saved myself from $80k+ student loans. As far as parents, I have not talked to them about that yet. When time comes, I'll tell them. I still have two years left.

And to Kak, I'm dead serious. Hell no! I do not want to be employed again under some corporate businessman trying to work me like a slave for little pay, dammit! I am a follower of your work, though. I'm not doing much as of now (still researching about the Fastlane and entrepreneurship.) I'm reading posts on here, still reading the book(again), and watching educational videos on Youtube.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Sounds like you know what to do, would be even better if you learned that stuff now and launched something before you have to tell your parents. Two years is a good amount of time. Have you got a progress thread yet?

D

DeletedUser2

He believes that the only purpose why colleges are here are for degrees and jobs. So, he dropped out and learned on his own. Now he teaches others how to create websites and program code.
So I took note of his video and said "ain't that the damn truth!" Literally. I wouldn't like the idea of going back to school another four years, after graduation, to learn something that I could've learned on my own and I would've saved myself from $80k+ student loans.

the most succinct way of putting it I have heard in a long time....

you have it in 1.

you want a collage education? go to youtube, learn there, go to the MIT open course work. where you can get it for free.

pick one of a dozen good online courses, taught buy guys who are doing NEW stuff all the time.

use that 80K you would have incurred for student loans and put that towards building a business.

we will be watching for your progress thread.

Z

Twista

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Oct 13, 2013
Alabama
Have you got a progress thread yet?

Not yet, but I plan on doing so. Next semester, I will be signing up for a co-op class (where I'll be able to get out of school early) so I can begin some progress. When I pay off my car (in June), I'll be able to get heavy into my progress and entrepreneur work.

Last edited:

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK

Twista

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Oct 13, 2013
Alabama
Lots of will statements, I hope you will but why cant you do something now?

Hope isn't in the equation. It's a definite. I don't want to start now, because I have no product/plan right now. I'm just researching and learning from others now.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
You can get college education and start a business on the side, if that business takes off then drop out and make sure it's successful. No need to choose one or the other.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
You can get college education and start a business on the side, if that business takes off then drop out and make sure it's successful. No need to choose one or the other.

There's no free ride, I'm getting drained from "studying" to mid-term exams, I set the day to study and I get 1-hour max study from it. It really depends on what you're learning... I took Accounting class with out any effort, why? Because I needed it, it will be useful. Now lets talk about Calculus and other advanced math where half of the coursebook will only be used in PhD research stuff.

Long story short, only try to do both if you think you will keep motivated (for both), and if you aren't taking a shitload of loans for it... (Here is 1k€ year)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.