The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should entrepreneurs know....?

Razdaz87

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jul 20, 2014
Hey guys,
I've been wondering how important it is for soon-to-be entrepreneurs to really know their product or service inside and out. If you look at successful companies, such as Oracle, Google, Facebook, all of their founders knew how to code, program, write software, etc. They knew how to build the product and the business aspect of it came later. Let's say I wanted to invent a product, but I don't have the first clue as to how to build something. Should I learn how to build it first? It would save money but would cost me time to learn. Or should I outsource this work, saving me time but costing more money, which would be bad for a start up?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Hope

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 22, 2014
Use the search bar, there are lots of great threads about this exact topic.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Know enough to build a quality product that your customers want.

I have an app business that makes me all my money currently. I haven't coded an app in my life. I just knew how to tweak a few lines of code to make certain things work differently.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
There is no right answer. A lot depends on your personality.

I'm the type that likes to know how things work as it gives me a greater sense of control.

7+3 = 10. And yet, so does 1+9. The most important thing is to get it done.

Razdaz87

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jul 20, 2014
Thanks for your replies, everyone. MJ, you're absolutely right that getting it done is the most important thing. I'm just having a hard time deciding which way to go about it. Your chapter on knowledge and education in TMF really sparked my mind, and it made me want to learn code. But after reading the thread "Learning to program is stupid", I'm having second thoughts.

Nate-NewVenture

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 31, 2014
Lomita, CA
I think it's important to know at least some aspects of what you're trying to do. For example, if you're looking at creating an app, you should read on the programming language of what Platform you're trying to code for. If it's a website/design company, you should read on the basics of HTML 5, PHP, and Java.

Of course all that being said, if you're a control freak and absolutely need it a certain way, learn ALL of it. If you're more of a leader/visionary, learn enough to not get suckered by a contractor/employee as well as hire someone that is very good at that fields. How? The great part of coding is most times the coder has at least one if not several examples of the code or product they have previously created. If you've done some research on the basics, it may be easier to see any flaws or inefficiencies in their code.

Just my 2 cents,
Nate-NewVenture

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
Id start with finding a product / market / service that people actually want... thats the important part. You can know everything there is to know about building something but if no one wants it whats the point?

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I believe you should know things inside and out to a certain degree. I see to many people in my field that haven't done the work or walked the walk and take short cuts only to understand they've basically led people to believe certain things that get them no where in life. I always think of any job is like being a doctor or mechanic. If you don't know how things work, or how to fix the problems and come up with solutions, you lose credibility, and business.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.