The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Shark Tank Violates the C commandment? Or Fastlane speed Boost?

IntrinsicValue

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Jun 21, 2015
Hi, I watch Shark Tank all the time. However I cringe every time I see these people throwing away these huge chunks of their companies. My question is: Do you think that going on Shark Tank and selling a part of your company violates CENTS? More specifically control? I can imagine if @MJ DeMarco went on Shark Tank, early in his start up days, and Kevin asked his famous question "what is stopping me from doing this as well"? Most likely MJ would have made a deal that robbed him of around 30, or even 40% of his company. This would have been devastating to his potential future equity. What do you guys think? Im often wrong in my first opinions. (Lol on the off chance that you are reading this post MJ, you know i love you ;) Oh and finish the damn second book already!! I'm reading all of your posts, and others, right now to hold me off until then)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Let's see if @Likwid24 (Sal from Paint Brush Cover on episode 522) can pop in here and share his opinion. [FYI, Sal has a progress thread in the INSIDERS's section of this forum dating back 4+ years]

IntrinsicValue

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Jun 21, 2015
Let's see if @Likwid24 (Sal from Paint Brush Cover on episode 522) can pop in here and share his opinion. [FYI, Sal has a progress thread in the INSIDERS's section of this forum dating back 4+ years]

Yes, i've heard of the legendary Sal. This forum seems to be very proud of him. So do you think that giving away X% of your company for a strategic partner does not violate the Control commandment? At the moment it seems to me that most of the people that go on shark tank sell +30% of their companies to sharks and rely on them heavily to bring in revenue. And if anything went wrong and the shark didn't want to put in the time and effort to resolve the problem, their business goes under. I am totally not judging right now; i just like hearing other people's ideas. Its how i learn.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

IntrinsicValue

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Jun 21, 2015
Hmm... Is that a trick question?
But what if one of the sharks completely dumps that business? I doubt if they are in shark tank they possess the viability to operate independently. That would probably lead to them going under in a few months. Isn't that hitchhiking?

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
But what if one of the sharks completely dumps that business? I doubt if they are in shark tank they possess the viability to operate independently. That would probably lead to them going under in a few months. Isn't that hitchhiking?

Then they lose a bunch of their money, but you still own 70% and you're $X amount richer

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Mark disagrees with a decision the owners make but he acknowledges that they have the ultimate say/descision (not him). Forward to about 6:15.

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
They could own 51%, but only have 1 seat on the board vs the Shark having two, and they don't have control.

There are too many factors to make it a "this is control, this isn't"

If you can tell everyone to F off and you're doing things your way, you're in control

IntrinsicValue

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Jun 21, 2015
Mark disagrees with a decision the owners make but he acknowledges that they have the ultimate say/descision (not him). Forward to about 6:15.
This answers my question perfectly. I really appreciate you digging this out for me :)))

IntrinsicValue

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Jun 21, 2015
They could own 51%, but only have 1 seat on the board vs the Shark having two, and they don't have control.

There are too many factors to make it a "this is control, this isn't"

If you can tell everyone to F off and you're doing things your way, you're in control
Oh, I didn't know that there were other ways to owning a company than being a majority share holder. Appreciate the insight!

obrian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Apr 16, 2015
it's better if you own a very small part of something than a large part of nothing.

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
You're also looking at Control a bit wrong, I think. Your business needs to have control, you don't need to control your business necessarily.

Control is the ability to survive on your own. For example, if you write eBooks and you only publish on Amazon and aren't creating a brand, etc. If amazon goes down, you go down. No control.

However, if you are writing eBooks and driving traffic to your own site with natural ways, ads, etc. and your growing, you have control.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Sorry I'm so late to this Allen. I made a deal on Shark Tank and I still have absolute total control of my company. Lori gives advice and makes suggestions but she always says that it's our decision. She may not always agree but she still backs it.

I guess you can lose control based on what kind of deal you do. We went in know that our limit was giving up 25% of our company and we would not go a fraction higher.

Some people don't have a plan and just go in hoping anyone makes an offer and ready to take any deal. If you go in prepared then you'll always have control.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Sorry I'm so late to this Allen. I made a deal on Shark Tank and I still have absolute total control of my company. Lori gives advice and makes suggestions but she always says that it's our decision. She may not always agree but she still backs it.

I guess you can lose control based on what kind of deal you do. We went in know that our limit was giving up 25% of our company and we would not go a fraction higher.

Some people don't have a plan and just go in hoping anyone makes an offer and ready to take any deal. If you go in prepared then you'll always have control.

Boom.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.