The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Setting up an online business from scratch

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Introduction:
Hello there,

Currently I work all over the world with (normally none, but now;) an unsteady and irregular internet connection.

So far everything I've done was really slow paced, as I could only do some research and online work while being able to go to a restaurant and get free wifi,
Right now I do have at least some internet connection, (56k, satalite) available to me. so I'm going to use this as much as I can to be more productive.

I am going to commit to post here for several reasons.
1) Accountability
2) Possible input from more experienced people and thus an opportunity to learn.

(The things that I post are specific, but also generic as you still don't know what style of fitness product this is about)

My goal:

My immediate goal is to set up a semi-passive income through selling a self-publishing.
Using automatic weekly blog posts and newsletters set up for 1 year in total. to attract attention.

Here's my plan:
I have invested a lot of time making a fitness program that suits my specific needs. As there is no other company or fitness program that fills in the needs of my job and lifestyle.
I decided to use this and write a book about this so I can make some money on the side with it.
Now since this is probably one of the higher quality products out there, I have decided to put it into several products and attempt to monetize it through that way.
(So in short: Spend a lot of time creating a high quality product, then market and sell it for a premium price.)

My plan is:
- Write several "Small" books about specific parts of the program, sell this.
- Have an option available for up-selling DVD's
- Sell the full program at a premium price. (several hundreds of $ for the full package)
- Choice of beginners, intermediate, advanced
- Massive pack: (Includes beginners, intermediate, advanced) (several hundreds of $ for this package.)
In total this will result in:

5 "Small" packages, of each between $49 and $129 , with the option to include DVD (+$20)
3 full programs, of each between $299 and $399
1 massive pack of around $799

(Prices right now are a guestimate, will decide later for the exact prices)

Also I will sell affiliate products which will give me between 50% and 75% commission.

In order to attract traffic, I will have 2 newsletters (one for guests, one for people that bought one of my products)
People will get 2 freebies by signing up for the newsletter.

Things that I've done so far
So far I've done the following:

- Write the different chapters in the book (100% completed)
- Write the details for the different exercises (70% completed)
- Learn how to, and make a website with ecommerce abilities (100% completed)

To do:
In general:
- Get a USD $ account.
- Register as a company in a state with no foreign income taxes
- use the USD$ account to buy a webhost
- Copyright the book/system/dvds

Main product:
- Finish the details for the different exercises
- Make photo's of me, or a model, performing the exercises
- Put the different parts of the book together.
- Finish editing the book
- Copyright the book
- Send out the book to several proofreaders
- Get response and decide what and how to edit.
- Record 2 movies for the DVD, one of me performing, one of me explaining and giving cue's
- Edit the movies into 1 movie.

- Buy and upload my local website to the chosen webhost
- Integrate the newsletter
- Make sure that the specific online features work (post by email, newsletter, popups, opt-ins, webshop)
- Set dates for all written blogposts to be published
- create newsletter mailinglist (Most likely MailCheat(Chimp))
- Create autoresponder for 1 year to go.
- Set up the different e-mail adresses needed
- Get a designer to make a new banner for my site, as currently I still got the standard wordpress theme's one on there.
- Set up the facebook, twitter, google+ and youtube pages. (And integrate into the website)

other stuff:
- Write guest posts for more famous blogs, magazines, etc.
- SEO optimize the website.
- Read the rest of the downloaded material about copywriting and SEO
- adjust the site and already written blogposts following the copywriting and SEO things that I learn.
- research and find a reliable gateway to be paid in either Paypal, or to the USD bank account that I'll make.

If anyone has ideas of things that I overlook, or overthink, feel free to let me know,
Open to all input.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
Did you validate your product?

Since you already have it though, I see no point in why you shouldn't put it out there. But I don't see why (I from a consumer-perspective) I should buy your product yet. Is it special? what is your USP? How will I recieve value from this?

I won't buy a $ 799 dollar product from you and still have to go down the ordinary workout road. What time does your system save me in comparison to other quazillion free products out there?

I do not say this to be condecending, just to put thoughts in your head that you have to provide me a lot of value before I would make a purchase of 799, especially in the fitness industry. And you have no track record.

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Hello Rwiman, thanks for your feedback.

I can't really give away too much information at this point- due to not having the copyrights yet.
Better be safe than sorry on that point ;) Never know who is lurking out there and reading this with less honorable intentions.

But in short:
It is a specific system for specific type of people.

I have worked and trained with a fair amount of professionals in this field and they all have the same problem when it comes to fitness and health.

They need to have all their fitness goals reached to be able to be competitive in their workfield, but there is simply no program out there that caters to all their needs.
There are a few big names that cater to several of their needs, but those programs are too hard and too time consuming for them.
so they either have to hire expensive personal trainers, or get creative and make their own schedules in the hope that they get their needed results.(Which often fails. as they have all inherited 'bad' practices by their original trainers.)

Yet every single one of them is still fighting daily to reach their goals.

My system is a system that has a lot of variety, small progressions steps, fun to do due to the variety and uncommon exercises, Short but very specific workouts, and it will reach their specific goals. And while building up their required fitness it will also get rid of the specific pains that they usually build up while working in their field of work.

This is not a "Get abs in 60 days" type of program, it is a program tailored that can be done for your entire life and you will still get all the results that you want. And that all from buying 1 product.

Next to the specific audience it is also usable for the fitness enthusiast and the novice/beginner as I will have the "Full program- beginners or intermediate level" available.

I assume that most of the income from that program will be from either:
- full program- specific level
or
- the "Small" packages.

since that would give people the chance to try out a part of the product before deciding to buy the full one, or people that are confident to have some parts of the training down but need help in others.

It will take a while for me to arrive in a country where I can set up a USD $ account, as at this moment I'm travelling in and around the pacific islands until medium next year. so I can't put the website online yet. But I will post the sales page here when that time finally arrives.

Last edited:

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
Better be safe than sorry on that point ;) Never know who is lurking out there and reading this with less honorable intentions.

I understand completly! :)

But in short:
It is a specific system for specific type of people.

I have worked and trained with a fair amount of professionals in this field and they all have the same problem when it comes to fitness and health.

I interpret this as you have some sort of validation. It seems that professionals have the problem you are solving, does this mean that "amatures" has it too?

This is not a "Get abs in 60 days" type of program, it is a program tailored that can be done for your entire life and you will still get all the results that you want. And that all from buying 1 product.

Sounds like a good plan. Will you be able to sell more to those customers later down the road? If they get a "all-in-one-perfect" product they might buy from you then never come back. Whats your hook?

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
I understand completly! :)

I interpret this as you have some sort of validation. It seems that professionals have the problem you are solving, does this mean that "amatures" has it too?

That totally depends on their goals.
It does take the average or beginning gym-goer into a gym-beast.

Sounds like a good plan. Will you be able to sell more to those customers later down the road? If they get a "all-in-one-perfect" product they might buy from you then never come back. Whats your hook?
That totally depends.
On one way I hope that they buy one of the smaller products first, so that they buy either one of the small packs or one level of the full pack instead. Then get hooked and buy additional packs. as buying additional packs then will become cheaper in total than buying the mega pack.

Other than that, i will release the different packs one at a time. do market research with my customers and see if they have any further needs, and of course work to get continual improvement on my own knowledge, experience and my products.

Open possibilities is jumping into even more specifics and releasing small packs for that. (For example a specific as: Finger strength, climbing skills, rehabilitation of specific injuries, etc) Another open possibility is jumping into their specific workfield, look at the movements/actions, and find ways to improve the effectivity and economics of that movement/action. then either target them with improved versions, or turn it into exercises for beginners. c.q."Become as fit as a Navy seal and blow everyone away in your sport"{Navy seal is just an example here that has nothing to do with my actual target audience, I just use this as a possible example.}

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
Other than that, i will release the different packs one at a time. do market research with my customers and see if they have any further needs, and of course work to get continual improvement on my own knowledge, experience and my products.

Open possibilities is jumping into even more specifics and releasing small packs for that. (For example a specific as: Finger strength, climbing skills, rehabilitation of specific injuries, etc

I think this is really smart. A niche within the niche.. You see a lot of large corporations doing this.

Run your business as if you would run it forever, or you will.

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Steps taken since the first post:

- Wrote 8 more exercise details
- Read a few articles about copywriting to try it out
- Gave out a part of a chapter to a doctor for proofreading, getting his feedback tomorrow.
- Downloaded and put all my tasks in a free "Men's task organizer" program. with a set reminder and a consistently spread out schedule which I can follow while still working 14 hours a day on my normal job.

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Progress so far:

Product:
- Finished with 60% of all exercise details.
- Did the first iteration of the ones I wrote earlier. (Always good to read after, see, test, rewrite)

Lifestyle:
- Been able to kill a few distractions and focus more to become more productive.

- Got access to Genesis now over Hybrid core. going to make a secondary website on my computer to see which I like best.
- Looking into different ways on how customers can pay, and what the best option is for me, and how to integrate that into woocommerce. (This is very confusing at this stage, In fact so confusing to a point where I might just open a normal paypal account, link it to an american bank account and use that in the start.)
-
In case that I do choose paypal (Pro's: no montly fee's, Secured gateway Con's: High transaction fee's: 1.5%) How to make sure my customers stay on the site and don't get prompted to paypal's website.
I think that the no monthly fees do work better when starting, as after all..how can one be sure to actually get a high amount of sales. On the other side if you plan to grow it might be wise to get a monthly pay and no transaction fees....
- How to secure the website so that it is safe to accept payments over the website
- How to integrate affiliate sales into woocommerce (For example from a clickbank account) <-- Both to accept affiliate payments and to give them out on my own product.
- How to get the website with HTTPS:// so it's compliant as a webstore.

All in all the product design is going well, The website's "foundational systems" are a headache. But then again I do not have access to a way to set up an USD$ bank account yet...so I do have the time to figure things out before being able to put the site online.

Anyone wants to share their experience on their woocommerce site and payment options?

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Update:

- I have researched and found a way to secure the website: 80% done, last 20% can be done after I put my website online.
- Affiliate sales integrated
- Last touches need to be done on the Hybrid core site: 90% done
- Need to redo a few lay out things in the Hybrid core website to make it look better, easier and more effective: 0% done
- Genesis site needs to be made and scripted: 0% done

still the hardest thing (and only thing stopping me from having my site online right now) is ..not having a USD $ bank account (or in fact: any bank account at all.) Looks like I will have to wait until my current company sends me to the U.S. so I can create a (personal) bank account with one of the few banks that allow Crew members (read aliens) to create a bank account..... One of the few hassles of not being registered as a resident in any country...Official things are soo hard to get.

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Some progress:

- Almost finished making the second site. just one problem in the code I got to fix.
- got to add some colors to the second site to draw attention to the right area's.
- 50% completed on the workout log templates
- Need to find a way to automate the workout logs, so it's easy for people to find their schedule for that day and to print/fill in their results.

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
A little update:

- Fixed the problem I had earlier, took me a while but I finally fixed it:
- Got all systems in place that I'll need once I finally have the chance to put it online.
- Workout logs completed, already over the 3th iteration. (I'm performing the work outs myself, they give massive results so far, as well as an opportunity to fine tune everything.)
- Still did not find a way to automate the workout logs.
- Completed a few more exercise descriptions
- Added several things to the website.

Things that I'll do this week:
- add social media buttons and RSS buttons to the right footer widget area.
- add author profile
- add cloudflare DNS to the website
- add several landing page templates.

Things that I cannot do untill i got a USD$ account:
- Buy domain
- Buy hosting
- Register company in BVI
- Set up domain, hosting, and email adresses.

Things that I cannot do until the site is online:
- Add "Freebies" to kindle and kindle unlimited
- Link website popups to newsletter
- Set up autoresponder for newsletters for the first year.
- Set up the actual times that my blog posts get posted for the upcomming year.
- Create facebook/youtube/google+/instagram pages for my company.
- Link youtube to the embedded youtube playlists on my website.
- Properly set up the site security, newsletters and other dependend plugins.

Also another thing:
I'll probably have to think of a new company/domain.com name, As the .com that I want is offline, but registered by someone else, with a fake email adress.

Still not sure wether to start as an "Underground/unregistered business" and register once things start to roll. or to register from the start, which will cost quite a bit.

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
For if somebody actually reads this personal thread, I got a question for you:

What do you think would be better for a fitness niche site:
A very clean lay out, nothing much "Eye candy" other than good looking content.

Or do you think that a very good looking "High eye candy" site will give more conversions?

For example:
www.Agymlife.com (Clean/minimalist layout) vs www.thefrankmedrano.com(Very high eye candy, lots of colors, photo's etc.)

Also:

Do you think it's better to send out a weekly blogpost/newsletter with high quality content.
or to send out more small newsletters? (for example the guy at agymlife.com posts once every other day a small blog post.)

Last edited:

MantisX

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 22, 2014
I work at product marketing for a big corporation. As for your questions -

What do you think would be better for a fitness niche site:
A very clean lay out, nothing much "Eye candy" other than good looking content.

Or do you think that a very good looking "High eye candy" site will give more conversions?

I know this might be cliche and require more work. But you should try both the variations and test for conversion with a tool like google analytics. Google analytics automatically gives you control flighting to send half your customers to one site and the remaining to the rest.

But you need to start somewhere - you should go with the one you get the best gut feel about. I personally like minimalistic, honest websites and so would go with that option. It is up to you. Once you get that out, you should work on the other version to test conversion.

Do you think it's better to send out a weekly blogpost/newsletter with high quality content.
or to send out more small newsletters? (for example the guy at agymlife.com posts once every other day a small blog post.)

I think you should add new, high quality posts very frequently. It attracts a lot of users. But then, you should also follow up on a weekly basis with a weekly digest of what you wrote.

A couple other marketing ideasr:
  • Do you think your target audience uses Facebook? If so, you could use Facebook ads to target that specific niche.
  • You should also do retargeting ads to avoid losing customers. Basically, if someone visits your site once, you follow them up with ads every where. Google up retargeting. It might be the better way to advertise your product.

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Little update.

I wrote down quite a lot of content the last 3 weeks. all long articles of 2000-3000 words about different topics that I plan to produce.

Still got to make photo's/video's, sadly it's really bad weather and since it's my vacation I don't have access to a fully equiped but empty gym. so wish to shoot my first few video's outside...but the weather stops that at the moment.

Anyways, I felt like things would drag on too long and that I needed a kick in the butt, so I decided to register my domain and buy a webhosting.
set it down for 2 years so I have to make an effort, as I spend more money than if it would be just for 1 year.

Hate it that not everything is "Ready" yet, but I've been workign on my product and site now for the last 1.5-2 years so things need to get moving or I'm just wasting time "Wantrepreneuring" behind my laptop.

still lots of things to do, and it's very overwhelming, but that's just how it is in the start...Hopefully I'll get things totally set up before my vacation ends in 1 month and 1 week and I'll be without free time again.

So things to do now:

• Set up all the plugins on the site to work with the new domain.
  • Replace the temporary domain with the new one I bought once it gets activated.(Namecheck said it would take 24 hours)
  • Fill in the details in the social media accounts.
  • Create good profile pictures for the social media accounts.
  • Create a banner for the social media accounts.
  • Link the youtube channel to the website
  • Set up the mailing list with MailCheat(Chimp).
  • Shoot pictures for the different blog posts I already made.
  • create catching thumbnails, meme style.(Good picture with added text on top of it)
  • Set up affiliate links in the shop until I get my own products published.
etc etc etc.

Most of it is just grinding the hours, as it all takes me a long time to do, the above list is probably a good 100+ working hours for me.
after that there's a whole new list to do such as automatic posts, and social media etc.

My sticky points right now:
- Writing a catching and intriguing newsletter...not getting past the first 2 newsletters, as well..dont got too much content on my site, to link to yet.(In fact, there is no single article on my site yet, as they're all in "Draft" state.)
- The site is not yet visually appealing as none of the picture work is done yet. pure technical phase(which took me a good year to get what I want) and writing the pages/blog posts.

so focus right now is getting the site ready and set. so I can keep publishing and working on articles while I'm at sea again, and less focus on finishing my product.

the product itself could be finished fairly quickly though as I have the whole system in place, just need to finalize a few exercise descriptions and shoot pictures for every single exercise.

Then after that is just taking all my context and putting it in certain combinations to create specific programs.

If I would check all the hours that I spend so far on the website and the product, we're talking about pretty much all the free time I've had in the last 2 years... Better be worth it in the long run.... Been really skimping out on social time (what social time...literally 2-3 hours per month of social time, rest is all living like a monk behind my laptop working, writing and figuring things out.)

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
This is something weird...

The website is online, but with a coming soon page.
The website is not indexed on any search machine until I deactivate the coming soon plugin.

Yet...google analytics says that I have had...13.486 visiters in the last 5 days.

Anybody knows what a reason for this would be?

SlowlaneJay

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 25, 2014
Bogotá, Colombia
This is something weird...

The website is online, but with a coming soon page.
The website is not indexed on any search machine until I deactivate the coming soon plugin.

Yet...google analytics says that I have had...13.486 visiters in the last 5 days.

Anybody knows what a reason for this would be?

Check your acquisition metrics. What kind of hits? Direct? Organic? Referral?

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Check your acquisition metrics. What kind of hits? Direct? Organic? Referral?
They all seem to be direct hits...
Kinda weird as I think my domain name is pretty good..but not THAT good that people just go to internet and type in "Mydomain.com".
Most of them are to my "coming soon page" (What you see when you just enter the domain) and spend an average time of 3.18 seconds on there.

Doesn't seem to be a hacking attempt or something as none of my security plugins report anything. and brute force hacking of a password is not possible as after 3 wrong passwords, you're locked out for an extended time. (The only ppl supposed to log in are me, or possibly regular guest authors anyway so I can have a very strict/low error range in those kind of settings.)

And while I visited several pages to fix some last things and write /test blog posts in there/see how the site looks like in different devices (Laptop, phone, tablet)... I definitely did not perform in the 13.xxx's of hits in 5 days. also, they're probably not "Crawlers" from the big sites as currently everything is in a "Noindex" setup until the site goes live.

So really wondering what's going on, and if I should be worried about something.
While I'm happy with genuine traffic, if it's unexpected and in such high amounts even before an actual release/any publicised content, it's probably not right.

SlowlaneJay

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 25, 2014
Bogotá, Colombia
Don't worry, it's likely nothing, and most likely you. 13 hits is actually very little if you're actively building a website. I probably hit mine close to 50 times a day.

Things to check:
- Are they all uniques? Or the same two people over and over? (I say two, because it's likely you on your laptop and phone)
- Location data. All from the Netherlands? Or Russia, Ukraine, and somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean?

To-dos:
- Set up a filter in Analytics and exclude your IP address. Google has a great guide here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034840?hl=en
- Add the common spam referral sites to your .htaccess (will be important later when your site is crawlable) https://github.com/Stevie-Ray/htaccess-referral-spam-blacklist-block/blob/master/.htaccess
- Add your site to Webmaster tools so you can track queries (again, important when you open it up, but easy to forget when you do) https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/34592?hl=en

GL!

EDIT: I'll be honest, I only just read through this whole thread. You seem to be spending a lot of time creating content and making sure you can take payments. But as far as I can tell, you don't have any customers yet.

Essentially, you're approaching this with a 'waterfall' mentality:
e96847237d43.jpg

Why?

Why not reach out to your potential customers and try and sell your product?

What happens when you spend all this time and effort and it turns out your customer wanted something completely different?

ZTPMwx9.jpg

It seems your blog posts that you're writing could be used right now to build a list of potential customers.

Also, if you're spending all this time writing—congrats btw, I hate writing—why not write up a killer lead magnet and build an audience with that?

[An] Audience who trusts you, likes you and wants to buy from you — whatever it is that you might be selling today or 4 years from now. And you don’t even need to know what that is — your audience will tell you later.
OkDork

I just feel that you're focusing on the big picture without realizing that the picture is likely to change as soon as you disable your 'coming-soon-plugin' and your first visitor shows up.

My 2¢

Kudos on the action though. It's nice that you're doing something and the determination is definitely there. All the best!

J.

Last edited:

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Hey, SlowlaneJay, thanks for your big post!

The main reason I create a lot of content now is that with my normal job, I work on a cruise ship. with 7 days a week and 12+hours a day.
So not much chance to create new content, let along find a place that has internet to place it all online and make sure it looks good on the site.

So at the moment I wish to have the content ready for the next 7 months (My contract length) So I can spend that time in ease, knowing that I don't HAVE to produce content if I am too tired after a 16 hour workday.

It's easier to look into your mailbox somewhere, see all the messages and replies you got and react to those, and have the rest all automated (social media posts, blog posts, newsletters etc.) than having to worry about everything.

so right now it's bad...real bad and a LOT of work. but hopefully it'll pay off later.

And sure, it's possible that nobody is interested in my content. But it will help me to keep my life organized, learn things and get into the producer mindset.

For me a few mindsets that I need to make my own for success:
- Believing that I got what it takes to make it.
- Stop talking start doing.
- You gotta spend money to make money. (All my life I just never spend anything.. aka I keep my shoes and clothes until the holes are in it. If there's an option to do something free, I do that. etc etc etc. I'm afraid to spend money. A mindset I got by living in poverty.)

And even while I know on a logical and theoretical way that I need to do the above things. and that they are more fruitfull than my current mindset. they will not change until I take action on a consistent base.

I got discipline, motivation and work hard. but that's not enough to make it.
I became more of a people person, by forcing myself out there, in the spotlight by choosing the most extravert job possible (Entertainer on a cruise ship/hotels/holiday resorts etc.)
And it worked, from myself I'm an extreme introvert, and now I'm able to speak to anyone about everyone. and have no shame to do something daring or silly in front of a group of people(Up to 1000 people at a time.).

So I change if I need to, no other choice. so taking the step of paying for the hosting, forces me as it was really hard to take that step and actually DO something.

I force myself in a position to write a lot, in a different language (English), produce, etc to become more of a teacher, producer and a person of authority. As if I don't produce, I will not have enough to auto publish during my contract at the cruise ship, and it will fail.

And hopefully. people will like what I do, and Who knows, I might even be able to make some money on the side.
I know that I don't wanna keep working harder than anyone else that I know, for somebody else. I make my company millions and millions by entertaining people, while I get paid around $5 an hour. and that's not how I want my possible future kids to live, so I got to set an example and get rid of Slavery/poverty and set up a business out of nothing, and be able to make a living out of it.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
- Set up a filter in Analytics and exclude your IP address. Google has a great guide here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034840?hl=en
That only works if you have a static IP address, like many bigger companies have at their offices. Otherwise you get a new one each day (at the minimum).

Use the analytics opt-out plugin instead to exclude all of your own visits -> https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en

Works 100%. Keep in mind that you have to do some testing (testing goal/event firing) in a different browser.

The 13k visitors in 5days are probably referrer-spam.

Last edited:

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
That only works if you have a static IP address, like many bigger companies have at their offices. Otherwise you get a new one each day (at the minimum).

Use the analytics opt-out plugin instead to exclude all of your own visits -> https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en

Works 100%. Keep in mind that you have to do some testing (testing goal/event firing) in a different browser.
Thanks for that @theag!

I work and log in from different IP's from all around the world during my contract at the ship, so a static IP is something that I will probably never have.

@SlowlaneJay

With the block spamfilter I just have to add the entire "RAW" code of that github to my .htaccess? If so do I just put it like this at the bottom. or between the # BEGIN Wordpress and # END Wordpress codes or what? (Don't want to screw up my .htaccess ^^)

Also for the visitors: Today I have not been to the site yet, and this is the report for today: (Unique visitors)

US.png
United States142
000.png
Unknown30
FR.png
France14
NL.png
Netherlands14
GB.png
United Kingdom4
CA.png
Canada4
ZA.png
South Africa3
PL.png
Poland1
SE.png
Sweden1
SI.png
Slovenia1

also I got 2 incomming visitors from two different sites.
mawords [dot] com
Fitstep [dot] com

Today,I got from the above visitors:
Home: 272 visits
Shopping cart: 70 visits
Review order: 67 visits
and then about 50 visits for 10 other pages.
(and that while the website should show the comming soon page to every single IP except for my own)

Most number of unique visitors on the site was yesterday and that topped the 1500 unique visitors.
Again, this strikes to me as really weird as this site is not indexed with any of the big search engines.

Thanks again to the both of you, your tips and help are very appreciated.

Last edited:

RoadTrip

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 27, 2012
Don't be too exited yet. Check the source of your visitors. There can very Well be a lot of spam amongst those 1500 hits. If so, google analytics spam to learn how to put a filter on those spammy sites.

Happened to me so may be the source of that unknown traffic

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Don't be too exited yet. Check the source of your visitors. There can very Well be a lot of spam amongst those 1500 hits. If so, google analytics spam to learn how to put a filter on those spammy sites.

Happened to me so may be the source of that unknown traffic
Yea not excited at all, as the site is not made public yet, nor have I placed any inbound links anywhere. so they cannot be legit people searching, and they cannot be from any marketing efforts either. Just got afraid they where either spam, malicious stuff or hacking attemps or any other shady thing.

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Alright. So The site is live. First article auto poster. Not so great visits..

Got a total of... 14 facebook likes on The page. 0 on The article. No Twitter mentions or follows. No newsletter subscribers.

At The moment i am on The chip again with no internet. So don't have a chance to actively market for now.

I think that my best short term fix is to record ans publish the exercises that I teach peopple on the ship. And print a business card with the site on it to give it to them. Also need to find a way to publish new articles either on android while creating them offline. Or by company email.

People that join my fitness classes are very positive and would easily buy a video course. But gotta have a way so they won't forget the site.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.