Enjoy Freedom? Money?

Get Breaking Fastlane Updates.
  1. the entrepreneurs red pill

Talk To Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs ... for FREE!

Some people take advice from millionaires, others take advice from people who want to be millionaires. If you're tired of taking millionaire advice from your broke uncle, your paycheck-to-paycheck friend, or your 30K millionaire co-worker, register today and get the uncensored, and yes, the sometimes uncomfortable truth from real millionaires who live and die in the entrepreneurial trenches.
    register for the fastlane forum

Start Your Own Personal Revolution: Grab the Book that Started it All!

Get The Millionaire Fastlane ||| Download 3 FREE Chapters ||| Learn More

Selling Scrap Metal / Scrap Yards

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneurship and Startup' started by bosco, Jan 7, 2009.

1. bosco

bosco 10 kph

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $12
    Anyone in the scrap business? How does the collection yards work? How do they make money? Who do the collection yards sell too?

Also with the price that copper is at right now, is it worth collecting and holding onto it until the price goes up?

2. bflbob

bflbob 50 kph FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $91
  3. Justin

Justin 10 kph

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $22
    Scrap is WAY WAY down right now.
  4. bosco

bosco 10 kph

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $12
    Thanks for everyones input here. I am focusing on materials that I have reasonable access to. Copper, Brass, Aluminum, and some steel. Unless you have access to alot of steel its not really worth handling and warehousing it for .05 cents a pound.

I built a machine to strip copper wire and was thinking of buying wire from the electricians, etc.....have my retired father strip it and then sit on it until it goes back to 3 bucks a pound. only at a dollar now.

What I want to learn now is how to deal direct with the big yards and not the local feeder yards. Basically want to deal with the folks that all the yards deal with. If I did enough volume I am positioned to open to the public to startbuying but need to be able to sell higher to pay same price as the rest of the yards.

How much margin are they working on if they are paying a dollar a pound. How much do they turn around and sell it for? Do you think they also time the market and sit on inventory when it is low and sell it all when the prices go up?
  5. Excalibur

Excalibur 10 kph Read The Millionaire Fastlane

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $13
    I'm wishing I had held onto a load of copper I had. Sept 2009 I bought over 1,000 pounds from an IRS auction for $300 and cashed in for $1,900. Was in the scrap yard today and noticed it would have been about $2,770.

I doubt this will be a fast lane vehicle for me, but it's a decent ROT/ROI in my spare time.

I'm now thinking I should stockpile scrap as I come across it, then negotiate a better price when I take it in. I got a 5 cent bonus when I took the aforementioned load in. Not much of a bonus if you ask me.

Currently working on a load of stainless I need to cut up/separate to get clean price.

Glad to see this topic. I was wondering the other day if there was one on scrap metal.
  6. Excalibur

Excalibur 10 kph Read The Millionaire Fastlane

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $13
    You're right bosco, steel isn't worth warehousing. I bought a lot of 232 5 drawer file cabinets last year. Original plan was to sell them for 10/15 bucks each. Would have resulted in about 2,320/3,480 bucks. Once we got into it, it was evident that moving and storing this many was going to be more hassle than it was worth. Ended up scrapping all but 20 or so, and sold those for 20 a piece. If I recall, I scrapped about 17 tons. The scrap yard was amused by this many cabinets...they even set a few out in their "for sale" pile.
Certain Xenforo Add-Ons by Waindigo