The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Quit Making 6 figure at 19.

Anything related to matters of the mind

Johnsonysu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
338%
Jul 24, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Hi guys, this is my first post and I'd like to share with you a little about my story.

6 Months ago, I quit my Business Development Executive role at American Express Sydney. The job had a great working culture, 8-4:30pm, hour long lunch breaks, great office space overlooking the harbour. $90,000 a year including commission and quite frankly, I was brilliant at what I did. Consistently, I'd top the sales chart month to month and they even made a little internal video about me being the youngest AMEX Business Band 30 and all. I distinctively remembering practicing my sales pitch every night with my girlfriend, whether it be hour long conversations over the phone or hounding her before sleeping. Mastering my intonation and discussing potential sales routes. I had absolutely no doubt in my mind that I would be successful. I had an overwhelming desire to be the best.

However, it wasn't long until the shitstorm started. Note that all my colleagues were much older than me, perhaps on average, 15 years or so? And they just got their a$$ handed to them by a 19 year old kid in the performance review. It felt like every week, I'd be targeted for some new random a$$ crap until one day I had enough and just simply walked out.

I didn't know what to do at this point. I burnt a huge bridge, but I didn't care. Walking out of the building, I swore to myself that I'd never be working for anyone else, EVER. Working for someone else, there will always be limitations and unnecessary resistance. You may be the biggest rat, but you'll still lose to the smallest cat.

You could say that I started my new year with a bang. Move back home, start from scratch. Stay humble, keep focus.

Note: On the side, I had a small tutoring business of two years which I operate alongside my partner that generates roughly $60,000 in net profit. The days I had tutoring I worked from 8-9pm. There are no expenses (maybe $10 bucks a month for emails).

Currently, I'm pursuing an education in Civil Engineering full time whilst also working on my business providing kitchen renovations to multi-level residential for developers in the currently booming NSW property market.

Perhaps another day, I'll post a progress thread regarding details to my current work and endeavours.

Cheers,

JS

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
Great post. I don't get why some people are like that. If someone comes out better than them, instead of striving to beat you, they instead get jealous and trash talk. Way to walk away from that situation, I would have done the same.

Goodluck on your adventures!

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Hi guys, this is my first post and I'd like to share with you a little about my story.

6 Months ago, I quit my Business Development Executive role at American Express Sydney. The job had a great working culture, 8-4:30pm, hour long lunch breaks, great office space overlooking the harbour. $90,000 a year including commission and quite frankly, I was brilliant at what I did. Consistently, I'd top the sales chart month to month and they even made a little internal video about me being the youngest AMEX Business Band 30 and all. I distinctively remembering practicing my sales pitch every night with my girlfriend, whether it be hour long conversations over the phone or hounding her before sleeping. Mastering my intonation and discussing potential sales routes. I had absolutely no doubt in my mind that I would be successful. I had an overwhelming desire to be the best.

However, it wasn't long until the shitstorm started. Note that all my colleagues were much older than me, perhaps on average, 15 years or so? And they just got their a$$ handed to them by a 19 year old kid in the performance review. It felt like every week, I'd be targeted for some new random a$$ crap until one day I had enough and just simply walked out.

I didn't know what to do at this point. I burnt a huge bridge, but I didn't care. Walking out of the building, I swore to myself that I'd never be working for anyone else, EVER. Working for someone else, there will always be limitations and unnecessary resistance. You may be the biggest rat, but you'll still lose to the smallest cat.

You could say that I started my new year with a bang. Move back home, start from scratch. Stay humble, keep focus.

Note: On the side, I had a small tutoring business of two years which I operate alongside my partner that generates roughly $60,000 in net profit. The days I had tutoring I worked from 8-9pm. There are no expenses (maybe $10 bucks a month for emails).

Currently, I'm pursuing an education in Civil Engineering full time whilst also working on my business providing kitchen renovations to multi-level residential for developers in the currently booming NSW property market.

Perhaps another day, I'll post a progress thread regarding details to my current work and endeavours.

Cheers,

JS

Great post, it's just a matter of time.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Welcome!

I enjoyed reading that for some reason

Put in the time, dedication and the world is yours buddy :)

Having sales experience is the best place to start in my opinion,
but I'm biased ;)

Keep up the grind and let me know if I can help

Fatal Jay

Contributor
Jul 16, 2015
Similar thing happen to me in march. I had carried a company I worked for 6 years, when the new supervisor came in she did a 180 on me. In the beginning she favored me but she begin to get jealous when I was getting praises within the job. It got to a point for a whole year she would ride me for the smallest things. I could not take it anymore and I walked out. Fast forward to present day workers and customers beg for me to return. Workers have told me the business has suffered a lot since I left.

That told me a few things like you posted. I refuse to live the rest of my life working under others and working hard for a company that benefits them and not myself.

Trading in hours of my life in a place I don't want to be. That is slavery. Trading in my freedom for a weak paycheck

Johnsonysu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
338%
Jul 24, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Keep up the grind and let me know if I can help
Will certainly call you out for it someday! :)
Similar thing happen to me in march. I had carried a company I worked for 6 years, when the new supervisor came in she did a 180 on me. In the beginning she favored me but she begin to get jealous when I was getting praises within the job. It got to a point for a whole year she would ride me for the smallest things. I could not take it anymore and I walked out. Fast forward to present day workers and customers beg for me to return. Workers have told me the business has suffered a lot since I left.

That told me a few things like you posted. I refuse to live the rest of my life working under others and working hard for a company that benefits them and not myself.

Trading in hours of my life in a place I don't want to be. That is slavery. Trading in my freedom for a weak paycheck
respect yourself enough to walk away when someone is trying to take a shit over your head.

JAMES-L67

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 24, 2014
Good on you brother! Nothing like a toxic work environment to kill creativity and success, glad to hear you had the balls to get out

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
yeah i call bs at a 19 year old making 90k at AMEX, unless youre a child hood genius.

and in a "sales role" at AMEX.... yeah................. right.....

and here is why i think this story is BS:

1) You're a 19 year old making $90k at a huge corporate company/enviroment.. that's the first red flag that your story is BS.
2) they dont hire young people in high end sales roles with zero experience.. unless you got an MBA and some crazy serious connections.
3) a 19 year old with an MBA? child hood genius?
4) He;'s mature enough to handle executive/top tier sales enviroment, but not mature enough to handle some trivial work politics BS??
5) total BS, anyone in a sales environment making $90K + comission is walking on water in most industries and are untouchable by their managers. managers would be kissing your feet is you are successful.

Last edited:

G_Alexander

Does it Cash Flow?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
941%
Jun 7, 2008
Welcome.

Find your focus (best way to provide value to others). Apply your work ethic. You will do just fine :cool:

Johnsonysu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
338%
Jul 24, 2015
Sydney, Australia
yeah i call bs at a 19 year old making 90k at AMEX, unless youre a child hood genius.

and in a "sales role" at AMEX.... yeah................. right.....

and here is why i think this story is BS:

1) You're a 19 year old making $90k at a huge corporate company/enviroment.. that's the first red flag that your story is BS.
2) they dont hire young people in high end sales roles with zero experience.. unless you got an MBA and some crazy serious connections.
3) a 19 year old with an MBA? child hood genius?
4) He;'s mature enough to handle executive/top tier sales enviroment, but not mature enough to handle some trivial work politics BS??
5) total BS, anyone in a sales environment making $90K + comission is walking on water in most industries and are untouchable by their managers. managers would be kissing your feet is you are successful.

1) It happened. They found me.
2) Who said I had no previous sales experience?
3) Just a high school diploma. And a dream.
4) I had the option to walk out with a colleague to start our own business. He was in an executive position and currently we're working on $150,000 worth of potential client billings in our first 3 months of setting up shop. Currently in the talks with Australia's largest online retailer of home renovations. I just needed an excuse ;)
5) I've personally greeted the Director, VP, AND CEO in my first 3 months at work. But hey, your 9-5 is designed to be replaceable.

I loved my manager, she's a great person but she was new too and we both had our own boats to float.

Johnsonysu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
338%
Jul 24, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Welcome.

Find your focus (best way to provide value to others). Apply your work ethic. You will do just fine :cool:

You're my inspiration to join this forum. So far so good. I'm planning to come States end of this year to sus out opportunities. Do you reckon there's any chance we can grab a beer?

P.s. Not sure if you read Manny Khoshbin's RE book but his strategy somewhat aligns with yours (correct me if I'm wrong)

G_Alexander

Does it Cash Flow?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
941%
Jun 7, 2008
You're my inspiration to join this forum. So far so good. I'm planning to come States end of this year to sus out opportunities. Do you reckon there's any chance we can grab a beer?

P.s. Not sure if you read Manny Khoshbin's RE book but his strategy somewhat aligns with yours (correct me if I'm wrong)

@Johnsonysu
If you make it to Chicago, we can definitely grab beers.

Haven't read Manny's stuff, but I have heard of him. One thing to be aware of with him is that he was taken under the wing of a very wealthy developer (Mohammed Hadid) of Ritz Carlton hotels. So while he did hustle and work hard, he had a HUGE opportunity to team up with an extremely high net worth individual (and all the connections that comes with). If you model yourself after those who have truly made it on their own...then once you hit a certain level of success (on your own) you can scale to Manny's levels when you have credibility on your side.

Dream big, because there is no sense in limiting yourself if you are willing to put the time in. Just don't forget about the most important things: family, friends, time utility (freedom of choice/time) and enjoying the journey. I have met plenty of unhappy people who have a Ferrari in the garage. And as much as a Lambo symbolizes a major milestone for my future self, I know it will not bring me true happiness (it just does not have the ability too). It WILL however bring a huge smile to my face and serve as a reminder of the sacrifices I have made along the way. I will just remember to keep it in perspective.

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
1) It happened. They found me.
2) Who said I had no previous sales experience?
3) Just a high school diploma. And a dream.
4) I had the option to walk out with a colleague to start our own business. He was in an executive position and currently we're working on $150,000 worth of potential client billings in our first 3 months of setting up shop. Currently in the talks with Australia's largest online retailer of home renovations. I just needed an excuse ;)
5) I've personally greeted the Director, VP, AND CEO in my first 3 months at work. But hey, your 9-5 is designed to be replaceable.

I loved my manager, she's a great person but she was new too and we both had our own boats to float.

lol k

anyway you dont got to prove anything to anyone. but your writing style and your story reeks bs.

the funny one is 5# - you met the director, vp and CEO.. lol....

Johnsonysu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
338%
Jul 24, 2015
Sydney, Australia
@Johnsonysu

Haven't read Manny's stuff, but I have heard of him. One thing to be aware of with him is that he was taken under the wing of a very wealthy developer (Mohammed Hadid) of Ritz Carlton hotels. So while he did hustle and work hard, he had a HUGE opportunity to team up with an extremely high net worth individual (and all the connections that comes with). If you model yourself after those who have truly made it on their own...then once you hit a certain level of success (on your own) you can scale to Manny's levels when you have credibility on your side.

Dream big, because there is no sense in limiting yourself if you are willing to put the time in. Just don't forget about the most important things: family, friends, time utility (freedom of choice/time) and enjoying the journey. I have met plenty of unhappy people who have a Ferrari in the garage. And as much as a Lambo symbolizes a major milestone for my future self, I know it will not bring me true happiness (it just does not have the ability too). It WILL however bring a huge smile to my face and serve as a reminder of the sacrifices I have made along the way. I will just remember to keep it in perspective.

Thanks for taking the time of day to post this. I will keep this in mind!

McLaurin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 5, 2015
The fact that you got this far at such a young age, makes it hard to believe that you won't find anything else / anything better. You have some talent there for sure!
Start from scratch and keep on scratching till you have something that works out :)

Cmilll6

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Dec 9, 2015
phoenix, AZ
@Johnsonysu

Hey @G_Alexander so im 19 and i want to be like manny khoshbin but better. how do i get a developer to take me under his wing. im already in real estate but i want the BIG PROFITS and i want to be multi millionaire

Last edited by a moderator:

mystery1994

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 5, 2015
belgium
Hey man, good to see you had the balls to quit the job and burn a 'good' (slowlane) bridge. i'm following you progress man, keep it up!

I need friends like you. You're on a higher level. My old friends are worried about Twitter followers--WTF.

Well.. cut them loose, now.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.