The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Questions about owning a book publishing company

srsr

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 19, 2014
I want to start a book publishing company for all the books I'm have wrote (stored on my laptop) . I plan and releasing them all but I want to do under my own company not through someone else's company and since I have over 100 would it be better to do it under my own company or self publish them all?

When you have a book under a company started by yourself how do you go about getting it into kindle,amazon,google playstore , Barnes and noble's, ect.

What would be the best way to classify this as? Sole proprietorship or one member llc?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
IMO, I would do an LLC or some type of Corp entity.

To get your books listed, go straight to the channel. You should be able to get them everywhere. I just did a call on SP and outlined some of these things.

since I have over 100

Yikes. 100? Are they shorts or novellas?

srsr

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 19, 2014
IMO, I would do an LLC or some type of Corp entity.

To get your books listed, go straight to the channel. You should be able to get them everywhere. I just did a call on SP and outlined some of these things.

Yikes. 100? Are they shorts or novellas?

And also all my books are eBooks if I were to make so e physical copies how would I go about storing them .
I don't want to have 1000's of books in my house that I'm shipping and labeling everyday

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
And also all my books are eBooks if I were to make so e physical copies how would I go about storing them .
I don't want to have 1000's of books in my house that I'm shipping and labeling everyday

Createspace.com is Print on Demand publishing company owned by Amazon and most Self-Pubbing authors use it. :)

srsr

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 19, 2014
I've never published on eBay , Amazon , kind,etc so someone who has will you tell me how would I go about using multiple (50+) different pen names on the same account. I've heard that there's a 3 pen name limit , if that's true do I just have to make multiple accounts. ex. i have 20 books about 7 different topics so I wouldn't want the same author writing a book about UFO's to be writing about Teachers.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've never published on eBay , Amazon , kind,etc so someone who has will you tell me how would I go about using multiple (50+) different pen names on the same account. I've heard that there's a 3 pen name limit , if that's true do I just have to make multiple accounts. ex. i have 20 books about 7 different topics so I wouldn't want the same author writing a book about UFO's to be writing about Teachers.

Never heard such a thing. If you own a publishing company, chances are you represent hundreds of authors. Go direct to Amazon and publish. eBay doesn't really fit as a publishing channel. If you hit iTunes and Amazon you've got the majority covered. Of course I recommend as many channels as possible. If you're going to go with a print version as well, use Lightning Source or Create Space. There are no limit on pen names.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
I've never published on eBay , Amazon , kind,etc so someone who has will you tell me how would I go about using multiple (50+) different pen names on the same account. I've heard that there's a 3 pen name limit
You will want to confirm this, but I believe the three-name limit refers only to your author-profile pages. This means you could publish under many pen names, but wouldn't be able to have author pages for all of them.

As an example, this is an Amazon author page for one of my favorite authors. :)
http://www.amazon.com/MJ-DeMarco/e/B0044FIYLE/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

Boyd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Apr 2, 2011
Florida
You will want to confirm this, but I believe the three-name limit refers only to your author-profile pages. This means you could publish under many pen names, but wouldn't be able to have author pages for all of them.

I will confirm what @ChickenHawk said. There is no limit to the number of pen names you can publish under, but Author Central only allows you to set up pages and track stats for three of those names.

As an example, this is an Amazon author page for one of my favorite authors.
http://www.amazon.com/MJ-DeMarco/e/B0044FIYLE/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

Who is this @MJ DeMarco guy? Never heard of him.

I checked out his Amazon author page and he seems like a hack. Only published one book and that was three and a half years ago. Sheesh! He'll never get rich that way.

I don't think he understands this Fastlane stuff very well. ;)

Faithlaine

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Aug 28, 2013
I will confirm what @ChickenHawk said. There is no limit to the number of pen names you can publish under, but Author Central only allows you to set up pages and track stats for three of those names.

Who is this @MJ DeMarco guy? Never heard of him.

I checked out his Amazon author page and he seems like a hack. Only published one book and that was three and a half years ago. Sheesh! He'll never get rich that way.

I don't think he understands this Fastlane stuff very well. ;)

:headbanger: Wait for him, he will come soon!

srsr

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 19, 2014
I just got everything activated to publish my first book. Are there any hidden costs besides the 30 percent they get from a sale

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Are there any hidden costs besides the 30 percent they get from a sale
If you're talking about Amazon, they take a small fee for the actual download, depending on the file size. Usually, however, this is a very small amount, pocket change really...unless your book is heavy on the graphics, in which case the download will be more expensive. But there are no upfront fees to publish if that's your primary concern.

M Collins

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jul 1, 2014
Hi all. I actually have a question on this topic. Do you guys elect corporate taxation or just have it as a pass through LLC? Also, if I'm setting up the LLC outside of my home state should I worry about having to register in my home state as a foreign LLC? Everything will be entirely web based with the LLC in Wyoming but my physical presence will be in a different state.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hi all. I actually have a question on this topic. Do you guys elect corporate taxation or just have it as a pass through LLC? Also, if I'm setting up the LLC outside of my home state should I worry about having to register in my home state as a foreign LLC? Everything will be entirely web based with the LLC in Wyoming but my physical presence will be in a different state.

I think your election determines taxation as well as the domicile. As for the formation, this is more suited to be addressed by an attorney, an attorney which I am not. Nor am I an accountant.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.