The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Question About Mindset "Sensations"

Anything related to matters of the mind

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 5, 2015
California
No, I'm not going to ask for validation of whether or not I have the mindset, I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced what I have been. I didn't intend this topic to be very long (I ramble a bit), so I've made sections. If you don't feel like reading the rambling, please skip to The Question near the bottom.

BACKGROUND

A quick background since my introductory post was lacking a bit:
Through my youth and early 20's, I was a total side walker, I ended up adopting the slowlane mentality. I was raised by the slowlane like most people. My whole life I always would produce/create. Whether it be music, gadgets, etc. I remember when I was a kid I used to make comics, I would write stories, etc. I never thought about making money from it obviously, I was doing it more for the fact I think others would enjoy it. Of course the childhood mentality got washed away by society brainwashing, telling me dreams were just dreams and dreams never come true.

Fast forward to me now, post TMF . Ever since reading TMF and applying it to my life, I've begun to adjust my mindset, slowly but surely. I've decided to begin taking action. I was obsessing over finding a niche when I in fact had my niche right under my nose the entire time (or fingertips I guess?). I also had the vehicle the entire time, I could compare it to shopping for a new car, when in fact you had a classic muscle car the whole time in the yard that you just neglected because it was old. I'm ready to take action and make it happen. I'm ready to restore the classic car.

THE REALIZATION
What really caused me to spring into action was due to some personal reflection I had recently. Me and my significant other were talking about taking a vacation next year. We talked about our past vacations as well and I mentioned something that happened to me.

While we were at a very popular theme park in southern California (yes, Disneyland. Don't give me shit) I was completely relaxed and care free which is often my opposite. We were riding the train through the park, it was 10pm on a surprisingly warm October night. I remember thinking "I never want this feeling to end". I didn't have to go to work the next day, or the following 6 days for that matter. I was happy. It was like a high. The thought of work popped in my head once and almost ruined the mood entirely. I remember looking to her and saying "I'm going to quit my job". Naturally, she freaked out, but I had to remind her: I've got this. The source of my unhappiness at the time was the job I was working. I took action when we got back and had a new job within a week. I kind of surprised myself with that one.

The 2nd vacation, last year. We were at Universal Studios in Hollywood (don't give me shit again) in the shopping center and outside area of the park. It was about 7pm, a Sunday night in December. I was in a crepe shop they had, indulging in some Crepes which I don't normally eat, but do enjoy. I saw people about leaving, moping out of the park. Returning to their homes to go back to their jobs Monday morning. I felt great. Not finding joy in other's misery, but realizing I didn't have a curfew for a week. I had "that feeling" again. I didn't realize it then (hadn't read TMF yet), I felt separated from time.

So, in retrospect, I had the right motivation but the wrong approach to action. I was still in the slowlane mindset. I substituted a job with another job which lead me to being in the same situation again. I was kicking myself in the a$$ now, I wish I had known then what I do now to use that motivation as fuel to propel me onward onto a greater journey. To get "that feeling" everyday. The feeling of being in control, not punching in, being a stranger to time.

THE QUESTION

From the beginning stage of taking action, I've begun experiencing a strange sensation.. It's really hard to describe. It's not bad, it's good, it's a little scary, but it excites me nonetheless. There's a little fear involved, but not anywhere near as much as I used to have. I feel confident, I feel alive. I am expecting failure, but trying to keep my odds 50/50, losing the optimism goggles and the pessimism filter which I would occasionally wear over said goggles. It's been getting more and more intense as the days go by and my mind becomes more clear. I feel like a completely different person, in the best way possible. I feel in control. I was worried initially that I was becoming delusional, but I had to shake that thought. It's just the old slowlane mentality trying to cling on for life. I feel like this will happen through proper execution, and extensive busting of my a$$... er, sorry, hard work.

Have you ever experienced these sensations when your mindset changed? If so, how did it work out in the long run? I'm thinking the reason it's strange to me is because I've been lacking the mindset and the action for so long. I'm sick of it. Sick of waiting for that lottery ticket, sick of being selfish, sick of the old bullshit saying "if you just wait it out, good things will happen". The Guru's advice on the good life.

THE ACTION

Saturday night was when I came to my realization, I could not sleep for the life of me. Sunday morning I woke up on 4 hours of sleep and began making things happen. I began working on my project for 16 hours on Sunday and 12 hours Monday, spent Tuesday refining some things and doing my laundry, more FLF and TMF reading.

I decided this week I am going to fire my boss and take action to produce something of value, following my own path. I do have bills to pay, but I also have some savings to manage on for a while and a back up plan in case all else falls through. The only debt I have now is a car payment, which I know I am fully responsible for and have told myself if all else fails, the backup plan would be implemented to keep my credit score alive and fulfill the agreement I made to someone when I purchased.

Though I'm still in the beginning stages of my journey, I can't thank MJ enough for making me realize I was the answer to it all, not someone else, not some divine happening. Me. I'm more excited about creating something I can share with others to help them and I'm more excited about the time divorce. I cannot wait until the day comes on which I e-mail MJ with more thank yous.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
It is called being "All In"

Congrats

Now you just have to learn how to learn, and do it all smartly
Now is not the time for celebrating, its time for being very scrupled.

Put that head down, and don't come up for air... Just work through the pain.
You gotta be like a rocket to the moon, don't you dare cut your engines off when you are only half way there.

Sounds like you have kids, if so, don't rashly quit your job etc, it takes many years to get businesses up and running properly, and in the mean time you have to eat and not get too petty about "the perfect set up" for yourself.
Its gonna HURT like a little oriental lady shoving bamboo under your fingernails.
But you are all in now.

Either go all the way, or whinge and burn upon re-entry.
Good luck

Last edited:

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 5, 2015
California
Good stuff man, definitely not turning off the engines. Sorry, I should have mentioned I'm not betting on something becoming successful over night. Dumping the job is something I've been wanting to do a long time. It's a negative environment, it really sucks the life out of me.

Also no, no kids yet. Me and the lady just like theme parks haha.

Last edited:

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Search for a BETTER job, more suited to your needs (don't just quit willy nilly as a statement... statements are weak and land you in sh#t that take up your time, instead of letting you work).
I myself got a job for the "hard years" of entreprenuership, one that suited all my needs, it is necessary imo, because there is no get rich quick option available, and a job actually is the smallest available time commitment if you choose it right.

Its going to take 5 years imo, so don't rashly choose anything and say "this'll do", because that is how you put yourself in a corner, burnout and explode into rage and frustration and (forever) fail.

The road to success, is to eventually be able to TOLERATE things. And it isn't helpful if you are giving yourself sh#t to deal with because you are enthusiastic. Take it slow, its GOING to hurt.

Always keep the engines on, even if you have to crawl up like a baby, and do one thing at a time.
If you act out, and quit under the impression it will bring you success today, failure is 100% garunteed.
Obtain no debt, work hard, expand your skills, become the real deal (not a show pony).

It will suck. But just keep trying, don't back off, no matter how convincing it becomes.

I'm definitely going to seek employment elsewhere, that's a given. Just going to have some time off in between.

Be warned, there is a correct ORDER to which you should do things in business.
Quitting first, waiting, then searching, is NOT the correct order!!!
Find first, TOLERATE, move slow, is the the correct order.

Don't act silly right out of the gate, thats a bad move.

If you NEED to unwind, do it in a MEASURED way, and make it minimal.
The reason business hurts is you are not allowed to just unwind like that.
You have to be always on the ball.

Opportunities RUN AWAY FROM people "unwinding" at the speed of light. You'll never get those opportunities back. And after a period of not taking ANY opportunities it will dull your wits and make you dependent upon others to show you the way (big no no).

Find things NOW that are PRODUCTIVE.
Not quitting, vacationing, etc.
Start off with a bang, not a plop.
Get off on the right foot and consider EVERY ACTION is important.

Its like a butterfly effect at the start, if you choose something lazy when its easy to do something productive you'll forever influence your habits to be lazier, but if you do something productive where everyone else takes a vacation, you already start differentiating yourself from the crowd.

Don't underestimate those small choices.
You've been warned. (if I chose vacationing or quitting, I wouldn't be here today, I would have burnt out and exploded)

The RACE has already begun... don't be a little old lady at the starting line.
Keep your engine revved up.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 5, 2015
California
Search for a BETTER job, more suited to your needs (don't just quit willy nilly as a statement... statements are weak and land you in sh#t that take up your time, instead of letting you work).
I myself got a job for the "hard years" of entreprenuership, one that suited all my needs, it is necessary imo, because there is no get rich quick option available, and a job actually is the smallest available time commitment if you choose it right.

Its going to take 5 years imo, so don't rashly choose anything and say "this'll do", because that is how you put yourself in a corner, burnout and explode into rage and frustration and (forever) fail.

The road to success, is to eventually be able to TOLERATE things. And it isn't helpful if you are giving yourself sh#t to deal with because you are enthusiastic. Take it slow, its GOING to hurt.

I'm definitely going to seek employment elsewhere, that's a given. Just going to have some time off in between. Thank you for the words of wisdom, my friend. It is greatly appreciated, very insightful. I used to put off the importance of knowledge in my younger years, now I would trade anything for knowledge.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.