The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Proposition from an MLM leader

Serks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Jan 18, 2015
Hi guys,

Just after a bit of advice on a proposition I've received.

Just for a bit of a background, my business at the moment is primarily involved in running workshops/seminars and in-house training programs as a personal development coach.

One particular market I'm focusing on are the members of mlm groups as my clients as they are more inclined towards personal development.

I've positioned my course as a workshop that network marketers love and benefit from. As a result, this leader has gone to great efforts in getting prospects in a room for me to present to on two occasions.

Now she knows that I'm not interested in investing any time/effort into MLM myself as I have stated that my focus and passion is on personal development as well developing my own business.

The proposition:
-I keep a look out for any potential members that I can refer to her through my day-to-day interactions/networking etc. My job is to say hey would you like such and such at call you to see if it's right for you etc. She then does all the recruiting/training/chasing around and builds up my down line.

In return:
- she'll keep introducing me to other mlm leaders (she's very well connected and involved in lots of networking groups which for me means more speaking opportunities)

I've told her I'm not interested in buying any of the product as I have my own preferences for what I use and that I can't invest any money/time into it. Since I've been giving free talks (which are my sales presentations) to her groups she says she will pay for the $50 membership.

What do you guys think?

My concerns are:
-her expectations of me in terms of what I can provide?
- are the people that I'll refer to her getting involved with the right company?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

GuestUser113

tumblr_midri7wyfr1rr7ju0o1_500.gif

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
It assosciates you with a scam. This is lazy. You are better off making some new networking connections in a similar set up, with legitimate stuff.
All the best

Serks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Jan 18, 2015
It assosciates you with a scam. This is lazy. You are better off making some new networking connections in a similar set up, with legitimate stuff.
All the best

Do you mind me asking why it's automatically a scam? If you're telling someone they're going to be rich, their own boss, own business etc- I understand.

But if it's presented for what it is, a distribution model, does it have to be a scam?

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
Many MLMs aren't scams. They're just jobs that you pay for :p

OscarDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Virginia
I'm not a big fan of MLMs (there's a thread on here somewhere where I recounted the night many years ago when I physically threw the MLM guy out of a friend's apartment). I don't like their focus on selling to your friends and family and I think the market is saturated (no defined "territories"). However, if someone were to "give" me, if I understand her proposition correctly, a downline in a successful MLM I'd be hard pressed to turn it down. Those at the apex of the MLM make real money.

Not to change the topic, but I've always wondered if an MLM model without the hype and hysteria that accompanies most of these organization's recruitment efforts would fly? You know - presented like a legitimate business opportunity?

Cheers,
O-2

Serks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Jan 18, 2015
I'm not a big fan of MLMs (there's a thread on here somewhere where I recounted the night many years ago when I physically threw the MLM guy out of a friend's apartment). I don't like their focus on selling to your friends and family and I think the market is saturated (no defined "territories"). However, if someone were to "give" me, if I understand her proposition correctly, a downline in a successful MLM I'd be hard pressed to turn it down. Those at the apex of the MLM make real money.

Not to change the topic, but I've always wondered if an MLM model without the hype and hysteria that accompanies most of these organization's recruitment efforts would fly? You know - presented like a legitimate business opportunity?

Cheers,
O-2

Haha i remember reading that one! this lady focuses more on networking and collaborating with others as opposed to the friends and family i think..

Well it wouldn't be her giving me the people. It would involve for me to keep an eye out for anyone suitable and refer them if that's what they were after (which is what i would do without a formal agreement anyways)..

My experience in Australia has been without the hype and hysteria. The few people i've come across are just trying to make a bit on the side or are Mums looking to make some extra income for the household but the focus is mainly on work ethic as opposed to aggressively targeting people. I think Aussies are a bit more sensitive to that high pressure, shady sales type situation which would explain why we don't see too much of it here..

Daniel M.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Mar 9, 2014
Bucharest, Romania
Hi Serks,

This really depends on what MLM Company are we talking about.
The question is: Do you trust it? Do you really believe that this MLM would help your friends/connections make money and have a happier life?
If the answer is YES, go with it. He will build your mlm network for you and you are also helping your friends and getting new connections.
If the answer is NO, forget about it. Doesn't worth it if your connections won't benefit from it and you are losing credit.

Look at this video. What do you think about it?

Would you say that it is a good solution?

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Do you mind me asking why it's automatically a scam? If you're telling someone they're going to be rich, their own boss, own business etc- I understand.

Well if you are asking that question it tells me you don't know how to tell the difference for yourself (not good).

My spider sense is telling me
a) you are desperate (and this will come through to customers)
b) that you want to believe its that easy to get help (and this naivity will cripple your business acumen and the robustness of your business)

So you have one question to answer me
Do you want to be strong? Or do you want to be a cheapskate p#ssy?

I have no patience for cheapskate p#ssies that want to take easy roads, rather than earn their stripes on the real path to success, and all other biz people feel the same way.

Why play with fire, like a naive little school kid.
Be serious about what you do.
No MLMs

Choose another affiliate, and benefit from the integrity of that choice.
Its not just about success, its about what you learn on the road.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.