The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Progress Thread: Sir Ingenious Collection

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
One thing that strikes me about the layout, is the Side view of the shades. cant really see the overall design.

Do you have any 3/4 views ? like these http://www.spyoptic.com/sunglasses/l/100_viewall

This way people will see the whole design, as opposed to just the arms.

Great progress so far

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
Also.....when I read the sentence at the bottom.....even though "lenses" is in red, I'm reading it as part of the sentence. You need a colon, or dash, or something in there to tell the reader you are describing lenses.

Gotcha! I'll address that as well. Thanks. :)

One thing that strikes me about the layout, is the Side view of the shades. cant really see the overall design.

Do you have any 3/4 views ? like these http://www.spyoptic.com/sunglasses/l/100_viewall

This way people will see the whole design, as opposed to just the arms.

Great progress so far

Yup, I do have a 3/4 view of the shades. I'll test it out in Photoshop.

And thanks, man.

Any more ideas, folks? Feel free to keep 'em coming! :)

Really loving the collaboration that we got going here.

x9vjzs098u123rnl

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 23, 2009
USA
Because I will actually make the next sunglasses design BASED off your music suggestions when I listen to 'em and post the drawings here based on the lyrics, the feel of the songs and whatnot. And then if y'all like them, I will ship that design to China to have a sample made off that. It is for the next collection. And then I plan to expand the collection in that fashion, a collaboration with you guys.

I run a record label. Let's talk ;)

deevan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
May 22, 2013
SF Bay Area, California
D

DeletedUser12

Love the glasses -- totally agree about needing a 3/4 view on Ad. The Flashlight feels like a weird name for me though, but probably won't make a difference what you call them. The retro feel makes me think of something like old those old color Lantern lenses used to signal trains or something.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
I love the glasses and the motion you're getting going. I had an idea strike me as I was reading through the posts.

Why not sell the glasses......and additional lenses of varying colors so people can make it their own. Plus with you selling the lenses separately there should be (my guess) a greater profit margin for you.

I understand it may be difficult depending on your manufacturer and the design of the glasses but just an idea. After all you are going for retro and the thing that made the iMac so popular was the ability to chose your own color.

Btw I'll reply to your PM shortly thanks for sending it my way!

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I'm almost afraid to suggest this...as it may be an asinine idea..but I picked up on 'music', 'sunglasses', 'design'. I can see parts of lyrics printed on the sides of sunglasses, or crazier...on the lenses !

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
I run a record label. Let's talk

Haha, I'm actually open. So, hit me up anytime!

Out of curiosity, though: what record label do you run, man?

The glasses look good.
I was researching the FDA and came across this - it might be applicable to your situation "sunglasses as Class 1 medical devices". ie registering your company with the FDA and making sure they are shatter resistant
http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/De.../ucm150001.htm

Thanks, man. And noted as I'll read it. ;)

Love the glasses -- totally agree about needing a 3/4 view on Ad. The Flashlight feels like a weird name for me though, but probably won't make a difference what you call them. The retro feel makes me think of something like old those old color Lantern lenses used to signal trains or something.

Hey, hey, thanks man.

So, that's a couple of you that requests for a 3/4 view and 3/4 view it is. Thank you for the recommendation.

I was actually aiming for retro but more specifically, 1970's through 1980's with a bit of 1990's. I love those days even though I was born in '87 but still, very fascinating.

I love the glasses and the motion you're getting going. I had an idea strike me as I was reading through the posts.

Why not sell the glasses......and additional lenses of varying colors so people can make it their own. Plus with you selling the lenses separately there should be (my guess) a greater profit margin for you.

I understand it may be difficult depending on your manufacturer and the design of the glasses but just an idea. After all you are going for retro and the thing that made the iMac so popular was the ability to chose your own color.

Btw I'll reply to your PM shortly thanks for sending it my way!

Thanks, man.

I actually thought about it, maybe selling them in different colors (red, blue, mix, green, yellow, etc). Hence, the whole theme of 'Flashlight'. What do you think about that?

I'm almost afraid to suggest this...as it may be an asinine idea..but I picked up on 'music', 'sunglasses', 'design'. I can see parts of lyrics printed on the sides of sunglasses, or crazier...on the lenses !

Haha, I thought I was crazy when I even released this sunglasses initially.

So yeah, I'm aiming for crazy - it's remarkable. Printing out lyrics ain't a bad idea, kinda like the Snapple with the weird facts under the caps kinda thing?

WHOA, I thought of a cool idea: maybe I can put in random lyrics underneath the sunglasses cases that I'm selling, like with the Snapple/weird facts thing. What do you think?

Man, you're awesome with your idea!

Anyone got any more ideas? Shoot 'em here!

I'm looking forward in building this startup with all of you; it's good to know that I'm not alone in this. :)

Thanks.

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
"Sharp Dressed Man" by ZZ Top

"Bad to the Bone" by George Thorogood

I'm going to write those down, hah. Thanks! :)

I love your logo. You make it?

Thank you very much, man! However, I wish that I could take 100% credit for it but I tracked down the artist with this font that I loved, e-mailed him and all and paid him some cash to use it for the logo. I got designer's eyes though, so I was able to know how to assemble a logo together, whether or not if I have to do it myself or outsource it. However, I'm going to re-contact him and provide him with updates because I changed my business name to 'Sir Ingenious'.

I have this business idea from this book I'm reading ('Contagious' by Jonas Berger, about getting your stuff to go viral) and what if I made my company closed and by invite only (or on some levels, aka you pay more for the same items if you were an outsider than as an INSIDERS)? The business can be ran like a club on some levels. As an INSIDERS, you get opportunities to create sunglasses through mass collaboration, win stuff, and primarily gain social status.

Playing with some ideas in my head.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
I actually thought about it, maybe selling them in different colors (red, blue, mix, green, yellow, etc). Hence, the whole theme of 'Flashlight'. What do you think about that?

I think that's a great idea, and mix music in with the "night vision" glasses (green) - first thing that popped into my head.

I think different colors is a wonderful idea, I assume you mean of the lenses themselves within the same frames, aka, not interchangeable. I was considering that it might be simpler for you to offer them without the option to change out the lenses.

People would love having different colors offered IMHO simply because I see this as being marketed as being your own person or your own 'rebel' much like your own music defines who you are. Places like Buckle would probably love to have these on their shelves as they try to portray the image of individuality.

--------------------------------
Outside of that, I will comment to everyone reading this Sir Ingenious is a great person all around, I've communicated with him a few times through PM, he seems very genuine, passionate, and willing to offer help. My opinion may not count for much but I fully back him and his dreams. -End Endorsement ;)

It really reminds me of what I was reading in Cracking the Success Code About how during an interview the author noted a comment made "I see them biking too much" in reference to start ups in silicon valley. Simply stating that people truly interested in their work will wake up excited, work nights and weekends, without rest because they have a vision they want to achieve. Where as the "bikers" take time out of their day for long bike rides and relaxation when their company hasn't even gotten off the ground. In the interviewees opinion it showed lack of commitment, they were only there for what they thought would be a quick market to make money on rather than having a dream. As a result the start-ups he saw being lazy and disingenuous often failed and left the founders wondering "why."

The person and product Sir Ingenious has created seems to very genuine and I bet he can't wait to get up and work on it some more ;)

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
I think that's a great idea, and mix music in with the "night vision" glasses (green) - first thing that popped into my head.

I think different colors is a wonderful idea, I assume you mean of the lenses themselves within the same frames, aka, not interchangeable. I was considering that it might be simpler for you to offer them without the option to change out the lenses.

People would love having different colors offered IMHO simply because I see this as being marketed as being your own person or your own 'rebel' much like your own music defines who you are. Places like Buckle would probably love to have these on their shelves as they try to portray the image of individuality.

--------------------------------
Outside of that, I will comment to everyone reading this Sir Ingenious is a great person all around, I've communicated with him a few times through PM, he seems very genuine, passionate, and willing to offer help. My opinion may not count for much but I fully back him and his dreams. -End Endorsement

It really reminds me of what I was reading in Cracking the Success Code About how during an interview the author noted a comment made "I see them biking too much" in reference to start ups in silicon valley. Simply stating that people truly interested in their work will wake up excited, work nights and weekends, without rest because they have a vision they want to achieve. Where as the "bikers" take time out of their day for long bike rides and relaxation when their company hasn't even gotten off the ground. In the interviewees opinion it showed lack of commitment, they were only there for what they thought would be a quick market to make money on rather than having a dream. As a result the start-ups he saw being lazy and disingenuous often failed and left the founders wondering "why."

The person and product Sir Ingenious has created seems to very genuine and I bet he can't wait to get up and work on it some more

Hey man, thanks a lot for your words. Really, really awesome. ;)

'Night vision' is cool or how about 'Nightlight'? That's another cool name, I think.

I think the main thing with building a brand or business is to build it based on who you are, not about what's your passion is. I love cooking but I could never own a bakery or restaurant because that's not who I am. I am an eccentric designer who loves to design weird, off-the-wall stuff, so that's what I'll do. And I'm known for being a good cartoonist as well, so there's that. So, I can apply my eccentricity on anything, from sunglasses to t-shirts to anything else.

So, if you were to make a startup, build it through who you are. Not what you love to do. That's the key difference there.

I've designed another poster, this time the sunglasses is in a 3/4 frontal view.

What's your opinion about the poster? Thanks.

siringeniousflashlightad2.jpg

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
3/4 view. Waaaaaaaay better ;)

Overall the poster looks great. Can't see anything wrong. Even the type is nicely placed. Maybe reduce the flares slightly, but that's me being picky.

Good job!

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Too sweet !

Where will this poster be displayed ? I'm assuming where the sunglasses are on display ?

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Awesome thread. Thank you for your insight. First time I read this thread - one song and only one song popped into my head:"Race Car Driver" by Primus. Good luck and keep us posted.

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Maybe I am just not getting something, but it doesn't really make much sense to me. The name is Flashlight but it is music to your eyes? The line about the most remarkable thing about the lenses is my ability to hear them doesn't make any sense to me. I may just be missing something, because everyone else in the thread seems to get it, but I am just being honest with you.

How does a flashlight relate to music and eyes? If you are going with the music to your eyes theme, it would seem to me like the name should be StereoVision or something that hints at music.

If I am missing something, please let me know. I am honestly not trying to be a jerk.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
"See...and be seen" comes to mind.

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
Too sweet !

Where will this poster be displayed ? I'm assuming where the sunglasses are on display ?

Hey, thanks man! But this isn't the finalized poster.

I have one but I'll probably post it sometimes tomorrow. And I primarily made this poster as a process to solidify a story in my head behind these glasses and to use 'em whenever I feel like: on display anywhere, etc.

Awesome thread. Thank you for your insight. First time I read this thread - one song and only one song popped into my head:"Race Car Driver" by Primus. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thank you, sir. :)

I'll give that song a listen, most definitely! And I'll keep you posted for sure.

Maybe I am just not getting something, but it doesn't really make much sense to me. The name is Flashlight but it is music to your eyes? The line about the most remarkable thing about the lenses is my ability to hear them doesn't make any sense to me. I may just be missing something, because everyone else in the thread seems to get it, but I am just being honest with you.

How does a flashlight relate to music and eyes? If you are going with the music to your eyes theme, it would seem to me like the name should be StereoVision or something that hints at music.

If I am missing something, please let me know. I am honestly not trying to be a jerk.

Nope, you aren't being a jerk at all. This is what this thread is for: feedback and honesty and for insight.

In fact, I'm thanking you.

Anyways, you called me out on some of the issues in which I've spent the evening addressing. I'll load it up sometimes tomorrow for you to see, so stay tuned. Well, I plan to tell a story through my products and build the brand. And to aim to a specific group of people and developing a fanbase outta them. That's why I do things the way I do. It's like this: why there is a computer named after a fruit? Branding. Same thing here, basically.

"See...and be seen" comes to mind.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks, man.

Anyways, I spent the evening playing around with the poster and tweaked up the name and all. I'll upload it tomorrow for you guys to see. Also, I paid a visit to the copyright website to have my name and such registered, so that's processing.

I have a more solid business plan than ever now, thanks to this book I'm reading. It's called "Contagious" written by Jonas Berger. Every single one of you need to read the book, it's about how to make your company, article or whichever viral.

Anyways, good night!

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
3/4 view. Waaaaaaaay better

Overall the poster looks great. Can't see anything wrong. Even the type is nicely placed. Maybe reduce the flares slightly, but that's me being picky.

Good job!

Oh and at last but not least, thanks to you man!

3/4 view I'm digging a lot more than the side view. Haha.

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
Alright, so I thought it would take longer but I asked the designer who made the font for my logo for permission to use it, he replied immediately and okay'ed it. Sweet. Anyways, here's the revised poster below.

I changed the name from 'The Flashlight' to 'Lysergic Acid Diethylamide' or LSD for short. Figured that the name 'The Flashlight' fails to conjure up a story the way I wanted to; like the fella above that didn't get it, this tells me that I failed. So, let's see if this poster below reveals the entire story of this particular glasses. Hope it works. If not, then back to the drawing board!

Feel free to provide your opinions and be a jerk if you want to!

siringeniousflashlightad2.jpg

TJPB

Defy Ordinary
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 9, 2012
Colorado
It doesn't look like a promotional poster to me. It's amateurish......looks more like an ad for a late night disco party at bowl-a-rama to me.

Maybe that is what you're going for? Again , I'm not your target market so it might work.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
i like it. it screams retro.

i think you need a bit more contrast though, its a little flat.

good stuff ;)

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I agree with Vick...Brighter light colors (or white) with the words, the highlight spots on the top of the glasses, maybe brighter arms...

D

DeletedUser12

I feel like the glasses are getting lost in the latest poster, I liked the previous one better. I wasn't a big fan of the name 'Flashlight', but I'm not sure 'LSD' is better. To me they feel more like a 50's / 60's retro rather than 70's disco LSD. IMO, it conjures up names of old classic cars (Starlite, Electra, Skylark, Starfire, Turnpike Cruiser etc., ). Also, I know it would be a manufacturing nightmare, but it would be cool if you could swap out lens colors / mix and match.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
3. Launch Kickstarter (the very last step)

Just a heads up, because I was gonna use Kickstarter as well for my Eyewear line.

Kickstarter doesn't allow Eyewear campaigns anymore.

I emailed them because I saw this on there website.

What is not allowed?

No bath, beauty, and cosmetic products; electronic surveillance equipment; eyewear (sunglasses, prescription glasses, and others); firearms, weapons, knives, weapon accessories, and replicas of weapons; medical, health, safety, and personal care products; or infomercial-type products.

Guidelines — Kickstarter

The other eyewear campaigns featured on there were before they issued this new rule. not sure why.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
looks like Indiegogo is a good alternative.

Can't find anything on there site which says otherwise.

;)

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
Just a heads up, because I was gonna use Kickstarter as well for my Eyewear line.

What is not allowed?

No bath, beauty, and cosmetic products; electronic surveillance equipment; eyewear (sunglasses, prescription glasses, and others); firearms, weapons, knives, weapon accessories, and replicas of weapons; medical, health, safety, and personal care products; or infomercial-type products.

Guidelines — Kickstarter

The other eyewear campaigns featured on there were before they issued this new rule. not sure why.

Gotcha. And thanks!

Indiegogo (or unless if there's any more sites too) will have to be that site then. I'll check them out.

I feel like the glasses are getting lost in the latest poster, I liked the previous one better. I wasn't a big fan of the name 'Flashlight', but I'm not sure 'LSD' is better. To me they feel more like a 50's / 60's retro rather than 70's disco LSD. IMO, it conjures up names of old classic cars (Starlite, Electra, Skylark, Starfire, Turnpike Cruiser etc., ). Also, I know it would be a manufacturing nightmare, but it would be cool if you could swap out lens colors / mix and match.

Ah, thanks. I think it's a thing of arranging things around (text, glasses, etc). And I'll give it a try again later on or so.

And I kinda thought about different colors because it gives my customers some more options but yeah, we'll see.

So, thanks for the critiques on the poster, guys. Really awesome!

I'll provide updates soon. :)

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
Hey man, thanks a lot for your words. Really, really awesome. ;)

'Night vision' is cool or how about 'Nightlight'? That's another cool name, I think.

I think the main thing with building a brand or business is to build it based on who you are, not about what's your passion is. I love cooking but I could never own a bakery or restaurant because that's not who I am. I am an eccentric designer who loves to design weird, off-the-wall stuff, so that's what I'll do. And I'm known for being a good cartoonist as well, so there's that. So, I can apply my eccentricity on anything, from sunglasses to t-shirts to anything else.

So, if you were to make a startup, build it through who you are. Not what you love to do. That's the key difference there.

I've designed another poster, this time the sunglasses is in a 3/4 frontal view.

What's your opinion about the poster? Thanks.

View attachment 5506

First on the poster, I F*cking love it! I like the later one in the thread as well but this one jumps out at me because of the contrast, but that's just my pov.

- side view poster: is more of a teaser, makes people wonder what it will look like with a headline like "It's going to LIGHT up Your World!"

- 3/4 is a reveal so like any marketer, the tease and finally the reveal. I love it, keep up the good work.

By the way 'NightLight' works much better with your marketing frame than 'NightVision' so +1 on your name idea.

--------------------------------------

I completely agree with you and I appreciate you clarifying the point for others that may be reading the thread and myself, otherwise I wouldn't have thought twice about how my post could be viewed.

I agree you can't just do what you're passionate about (otherwise I'd be involved in many slowlane things all at once) But to reframe what I said taking into account your post.

I'll say it as in you don't necessarily do what you're passionate about but you MUST be passionate about what you do.
- I think that captures the point, but feel free to help me define it further.

I'll also agree it's all about building it around yourself, which is why crooked people who build businesses often fail because it was built on a shaky foundation.

- One more thing, I feel like the retro vibe is really in, every time I see your glasses I think about Daft Punk's new album.

What is not allowed?

Guidelines — Kickstarter

Speed + to Vick for looking out for Sir Ingenious.

It did spark another idea though Ingenious, perhaps you could work on a few other items that are not eyewear in the near future, then use kickstarter for that. So it's kickstarting your brand overall than just eyewear.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.