The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Process Thread: Learn Copywriting

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
Taking on the Gary Halbert challenge to learn copywriting in 30 days. Let's see what happens...!

Step One -- Read the following:

• Scientific Advertising by Claude Hopkins (February 17th, 2014)
  • The Robert Collier Letter Book by Robert Collier (2nd)
  • Tested Advertising Methods by John Caples (**Up Next!**)
  • How To Write A Good Advertisement by Vic Schwab (February 18th - 22nd, 2014)
  • The Gary Halbert Letter (all back issues) by Gary Halbert (February 5th - 16th, 2014)
  • The Boron Letters by Gary Halbert (February 5th, 2014)
  • The Lazy Man's Way To Riches by Joe Karbo (February 17th - 18th, 2014)
  • Breakthrough Advertising by Eugene Schwartz (February 3rd - 4th, 2014)
  • 7 Steps To Freedom by Ben Suarez (3rd)
And will start with Breakthrough Advertising by Eugene Schwartz because that's the only one I have immediately available, and move on to the online letters (The Gary Halbert Letter and The Boron Letters), while I wait for my other books to arrive. GO! Ready --> Fire --> Aim!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
The Boron Letters: DONE! (And this was much quicker and easier to read than Breakthrough Advertising!)

Next up: The Gary Halbert Letter (all back issues)

And this may take me awhile because at first glance there are over 1,000 pages worth of letters to read... Oh well...GO!

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
... And I'm done! It took me almost two weeks, but I've finished it!

Up next: Scientific Advertising... GO!

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
And I'm done with Scientific Advertising! Now up: The Lazy Man's Way To Riches...!

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
And I'm done with How To Write A Good Advertising! Up next: Tested Advertising Methods!

Also I've decided to "quit" the 30 day challenge because I now realize how drastically I underestimated what it would take for me to complete it ... everything in 30 days. So, instead of trying to continue on in 30 days, I'll simply attach a TBA (To Be Announced) to this challenge, and just focus on finishing these books!

In fact, my current aim is to knockout each of these remaining books in three weeks. And I'm giving myself one week, 5 days, to complete each book because I feel like if I can make it in 5 days, then I can definitely make it in 7! But "7" is for my peace of mind. I probably won't need 'em, but it's nice to have 'em, so I'll keep 'em just in case something happens!

So, my plan for the rest of this stage looks like:

1. Test Advertising Methods: February 23rd, 2014 to March 1st, 2014
2. The Robert Collier Letter Book: March 2nd, 2014 to March 8th, 2014
3. 7 Steps To Freedom II: March 9th, 2014 to March 15th, 2014
4. Move on to the next step and "start over," figuring out everything I'll need to do as I go. (March 16th, 2014 to ... ??, 2014!)

XOthermic

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
May 12, 2011
California
what is the best book that you have found to be the most helpful?

i sell alot online, making banner ads, adding copy to photos, writing descriptions ect....

Which would help me most and what has helped you most?

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
what is the best book that you have found to be the most helpful?

i sell alot online, making banner ads, adding copy to photos, writing descriptions ect....

Which would help me most and what has helped you most?
I honestly couldn't tell you which one is the best because I'm one of those people who need to read things (ideas, concepts) repeatedly before it all sinks in. I'd honestly recommend to read them all to have the knowledge sink in. Sorry, couldn't be more help...

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
And... I'm... done! Tested Advertising Methods is finished. Up next: The Robert Collier Letter Book

Also, I recently just learned something that probably should've known all along, and that's how long it takes me to read a page! I discovered that I'm averaging about 30 pages an hour, so to complete a 400 page book, for example, would require at least 13.3 or 14 hours! Why didn't I know this?

Anyway, I plan on reading The Robert Collier Letter Book in 5 days, so I'm going to need to read at least 95 pages a day, which means I'm going to need to spend 3 and a half hours on this every day! GO!

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
I just ordered ALL of these books! Diving in head first soon. Thanks for the thread and the inspiration to do so
Go for it! It's such a mind changer. I can't tell you how differently I think now from when I started. It really teaches you what you need to know (hint: it's people: what they need, what they desire, what they lack, figure that out, give it to them, and world is yours! I can totally how this can be used both for good and evil, it's almost kind of scarey.)

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
And I'm done! The Robert Collier Letter Book is finished! Up next: 7 Steps To Freedom II!

I'm moving on to the final book...!!! After this is stage 2! GO!

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
Boom! I'm done!!! 7 Steps to Freedom II is compete, and that marks the end of Step One!

Step One -- Read the following:

• Scientific Advertising by Claude Hopkins (February 17th, 2014)
  • The Robert Collier Letter Book by Robert Collier (February 25th - 27th, 2014)
  • Tested Advertising Methods by John Caples (February 23rd - 25th, 2014)
  • How To Write A Good Advertisement by Vic Schwab (February 18th - 22nd, 2014)
  • The Gary Halbert Letter (all back issues) by Gary Halbert (February 5th - 16th, 2014)
  • The Boron Letters by Gary Halbert (February 5th, 2014)
  • The Lazy Man's Way To Riches by Joe Karbo (February 17th - 18th, 2014)
  • Breakthrough Advertising by Eugene Schwartz (February 3rd - 4th, 2014)
  • 7 Steps To Freedom by Ben Suarez (March 2nd - 5th, 2014)

Up next: step 2!

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
Step Two:

1. Hand write the following ads:
  • Do You Make These Mistakes in English?
  • What Everybody Should Know About This Stock and Bond Business
  • The Nancy L. Halbert Heraldry Letter
  • How To Burn Off Body Fat, Hour-by-Hour
  • At 60 Miles An Hour The Loudest Noise in This Rolls Royce is The Ticking of The Electric Clock
  • Why Men Crack
  • How To Collect From Social Security At Any Age
  • The Admiral Byrd Transpolar Expedition Letter
  • The Lazy Man's Way To Riches
2. Hand write any ads you find written by the following copywriters:
  • Gary Bencivenga
  • Dan Rosenthal
  • Joe E. Kennedy
  • Pat Garrard
  • Steve Brown
  • Drew Kaplan
  • Claude Hopkins
  • Joe Karbo
  • Ben Suarez
  • Joe Sugarman
  • Gene Schwartz
  • Gary Halbert
3. Create a hand-drawn layout of each ad and direct mail package.

4. Take one of these packages and have the ad or direct mail package typeset. Proof it and after making any necessary corrections, have a velox (stat) made of it.

And since it took me a little over one month (31 days, I believe) to complete the last step, I think I'll aim to complete this next step in one month! But it's not a hard deadline because I haven't done any of this yet, so I have no clue how quickly or slowly I'll go with writing these ads out by hand.The 30 day "deadline" just gives me guidance, something to strive for, so I don't get distracted too badly by my daily life!

Also, since Halbert recommends finding ads by the 12 copywriters above, I think I'll spend a couple of days looking for a "few" for each one of them. In fact, I'll strive for finding at least 5 ads for each copywriter, so that there'll be 60 total (at least 60 total, maybe more)!

GO! Ready --> Fire --> Aim!

Up next: find 5 ads for each copywriter!

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
Step Two:

1. Hand write the following ads:
  • Do You Make These Mistakes in English?
  • The Nancy L. Halbert Heraldry Letter
  • At 60 Miles An Hour The Loudest Noise in This Rolls Royce is The Ticking of The Electric Clock
  • Why Men Crack
2. Hand write any ads you find written by the following copywriters:
  • Gary Bencivenga
  • Dan Rosenthal
  • Joe E. Kennedy
  • Pat Garrard
  • Steve Brown
  • Drew Kaplan
  • Claude Hopkins
  • Joe Karbo
  • Ben Suarez
  • Joe Sugarman
  • Gene Schwartz
  • Gary Halbert
3. Create a hand-drawn layout of each ad and direct mail package.

4. Take one of these packages and have the ad or direct mail package typeset. Proof it and after making any necessary corrections, have a velox (stat) made of it.

And since it took me a little over one month (31 days, I believe) to complete the last step, I think I'll aim to complete this next step in one month! But it's not a hard deadline because I haven't done any of this yet, so I have no clue how quickly or slowly I'll go with writing these ads out by hand.The 30 day "deadline" just gives me guidance, something to strive for, so I don't get distracted too badly by my daily life!

Also, since Halbert recommends finding ads by the 12 copywriters above, I think I'll spend a couple of days looking for a "few" for each one of them. In fact, I'll strive for finding at least 5 ads for each copywriter, so that there'll be 60 total (at least 60 total, maybe more)!

Up next: find 5 ads for each copywriter!

hey I think he said to copy the other ads you have in step 2 in a generally speaking manner. In my Opinion, I dont think it is required in the challenge.

I would guess there are tons of sales letters from each of those copywriters that may set you back in finishing the challenge.

However, if you want to do it optionally then carry on.

Keep pushing man

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
hey I think he said to copy the other ads you have in step 2 in a generally speaking manner. In my Opinion, I dont think it is required in the challenge.

I would guess there are tons of sales letters from each of those copywriters that may set you back in finishing the challenge.

However, if you want to do it optionally then carry on.

Keep pushing man
Hmm... maybe you're right. I've been looking for ads since last night, and apparently there's a lot of them! And worse yet, I'm not entirely sure all of these ads were written by the people they claim to be written by... Instead, I think I'm going to work with what I have so far, and go from there! Also, I think I'll go back through the books because I know they have quite a few ads I could hand write, and for the ones that are just too small for me to read, I'll look those up, so I don't waste any additional time, looking for things online!

Up Next -- Hand write all of the ads Gary Halbert recommends (all nine of them!)

Jimmyy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 19, 2013
Hmm... maybe you're right. I've been looking for ads since last night, and apparently there's a lot of them! And worse yet, I'm not entirely sure all of these ads were written by the people they claim to be written by... Instead, I think I'm going to work with what I have so far, and go from there! Also, I think I'll go back through the books because I know they have quite a few ads I could hand write, and for the ones that are just too small for me to read, I'll look those up, so I don't waste any additional time, looking for things online!

Up Next -- Hand write all of the ads Gary Halbert recommends (all nine of them!)

Any chance you can add some of the ads you find to the Challenge Dropbox? I think there's already the link for Gary's favourite ones in there. I'll try adding some when I actually get on to copying out the ads

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
Any chance you can add some of the ads you find to the Challenge Dropbox? I think there's already the link for Gary's favourite ones in there. I'll try adding some when I actually get on to copying out the ads
Sure! I've got no problem with that, I'll even add it to the challenge thread. Where's the link to the challenge dropbox?

Jimmyy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 19, 2013

Jimmyy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 19, 2013
I can't get it to work with my dropbox, but I might be doing it wrong... I can see it online, but I can't figure out how to add my links to it! I have my bookmarks saved as a html file, so it should work I think...

I think if you pm your email I can add you to the folder

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
Thank you for the links! This gives me even more ads to work with! Woohoo!!

Thank you, HarryR and Umid Rakhmonov!

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
Step 2, Part 1 -- Hand write the following ads:
  • Do You Make These Mistakes in English? (March 6th, 2014)
  • The Nancy L. Halbert Heraldry Letter (March 7th, 2014)
  • Why Men Crack

Done and Done! I've hand written two ads so far: Do You Make These Mistakes in English? and The Nancy L. Halbert Heraldry Letter! Now, I'm working on What Everybody Should Know About This Stock and Bond Business. And based off my results so far, I'm going to have to approach this step radically different from what I did with step 1. In step 1, I just had to read, and I read whenever and wherever I could. However, now that I'm writing ... things are going to have to be different because my hand (and arm! Who knew!) is tiring out. Apparently, my ability to write things out by hand lags waaaaay behind my ability to read and even type on a computer. Oh well... I guess I'll just have to build up my hand and arm muscles!

Anywho, I plan on finishing this ad: What Everybody Should Know About This Stock and Bond Business in one week (5 days). Let's see what happens! GO!

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
And I'm done! I'm done with What Everybody Should Know About This Stock and Bond Business!

Up next: How To Burn Off Body Fat, Hour-by-Hour!

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
Boom! Done with How To Burn Off Body Fat, Hour-by-Hour!

Up Next: At 60 Miles An Hour The Loudest Noise In This Rolls Royce Is The Ticking of The Electric Clock!

Testament

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 11, 2013
San Francisco, CA
I admire your ability to follow-through on this challenge! It's very inspiring. :)

I've gotten through about half of Scientific Advertising so far, but feel like I barely remember what I've read. :eek: Were you doing anything extra (stuff like taking notes maybe) to increase memory retention while you were reading in step one?

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
I admire your ability to follow-through on this challenge! It's very inspiring. :)

I've gotten through about half of Scientific Advertising so far, but feel like I barely remember what I've read. :eek: Were you doing anything extra (stuff like taking notes maybe) to increase memory retention while you were reading in step one?
No. Taking notes is a step all on its own. In fact, it's the next step after handwriting the ads. The first time you read is just to get an overview or idea of everything.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.