The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Philosophy/Sociology/Psychology To Improve Your Life

M&A

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jan 13, 2015
Paris
I know most people read business books since this is a business forum but there are only so many things you can learn from reading about business and most is actually leaned by doing.

However sociology/psychology is a really useful topic for anyone to can apply in their daily life. Analysing and breaking down people, situations, events, analysing your own and others behaviour and why its happening.

Human emotions, mass behaviour, human nature, psychology of winners/losers etc topics like that.

Books that engage, challenge and expand the mind.

Currently on my reading list is:

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
The One Thing by Gary Keller
The Social Animal Elliot Aronson
Meditations By Marcus Aurelius
The Black Swan By Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Would love to hear from others also interested in the topic.

Walt-Disney-Picture-Quote.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
"The Obstacle is the Way" by Ryan Holiday. It's about the philosophy of Stoicism and how Rockefeller, Edison, Lincoln and the like used it to achieve triumph and how you can too. Based on Meditations, but it's a much more accessible read.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Social Psychology is something I've always been interested in I think it plays a major role in the world. At this point in time I was heading to the Greeks like Solon and Platosim.

M&A

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jan 13, 2015
Paris
"The Obstacle is the Way" by Ryan Holiday. It's about the philosophy of Stoicism and how Rockefeller, Edison, Lincoln and the like used it to achieve triumph and how you can too. Based on Meditations, but it's a much more accessible read.

Stoicism is something I am really interested in and I think most entrepreneurs/high performance people have to be stoics to succeed at a high level.

Ryan's book is also on my amazon wishlist after I get through "Meditations"

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
Each generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it,
and wiser than the one that comes after it.
~ George Orwell

We don't have to reinvent the wheel or look forward to the newest book.

The Art of War by Sun Tzu
Pretty much everything by Socrates and/or Plato

Thousands of years old, but timeless classics.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
Stoicism is something I am really interested in and I think most entrepreneurs/high performance people have to be stoics to succeed at a high level.

Ryan's book is also on my amazon wishlist after I get through "Meditations"
For high level Stoicism a good book is Elon Musk's new biography by Vance. Here's a quote from it:

He has the ability to work harder and endure more stress than anyone I've ever met.

" Gracias said. "What he went through in 2008 would have broken anyone else. He didn't just survive. He kept working and stayed focused." That ability to stay focused in the midst of a crisis stands as one of Musk's main advantages over other executives and competitors. "Most people who are under that sort of pressure fray," Gracias said. "Their decisions go bad. Elon gets hyperrational. He's still able to make very clear, long-term decisions. The harder it gets, the better he gets. Anyone who saw what he went through firsthand came away with more respect for the guy.
I've just never seen anything like his ability to take pain."

M&A

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jan 13, 2015
Paris
Everyone seems to be drawn to philosophy but psychology is also important, I reccommend Steven Pinkers books, he writes about evolutionary psychology, basically telling you how the mind works, why people/society do what they do. A useful tool in every high performance persons arsenal.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
http://knowmore.washingtonpost.com/2015/01/06/brain-scans-show-rich-people-display-less-empathy/
I found this interesting. And also the study they did showing Upper Class is less empathetic and compassionate. Basically are you teaching yourself to be emotionless and and "Zero f..k's." All for the sake of "Money" to be a Billionaire. And then turn into this person who really doesn't care who they hurt in the process, and have yourself in such a mindset, you don't feel anything at all anymore happy or sad. Never reacting to anything in the world good or bad. And just a robot making money.

M&A

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jan 13, 2015
Paris
http://knowmore.washingtonpost.com/2015/01/06/brain-scans-show-rich-people-display-less-empathy/
I found this interesting. And also the study they did showing Upper Class is less empathetic and compassionate. Basically are you teaching yourself to be emotionless and and "Zero f..k's." All for the sake of "Money" to be a Billionaire. And then turn into this person who really doesn't care who they hurt in the process, and have yourself in such a mindset, you don't feel anything at all anymore happy or sad. Never reacting to anything in the world good or bad. And just a robot making money.

I would say a very small minority of billionaires would be "emotionless", it pays a lot more to help people than to hurt people.

Mass

It's about time
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2015
United Kingdom
I've read through my fair share of books and the best concept I've every come across is that everything, your actions, peoples reactions, the herd is all driven by either pain or pleasure. Once you know how to connect to people and show them how you can eliminate or create one then you are in control.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.